• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Two things that I immediately think of that nobody has ever mentioned in the eternal debate:

1. You can also hold the bat by the barrel and make it a much lighter rigid weapon. Basically turning it into an R1 light attack.

2. You can use thrust attacks like a spear with the bat to maintain the distance advantage.

Those are both bad plays; you're diminishing the bat's strengths for a mediocre short range blunt attack, the worst of both worlds. Who is threatened by a bat thrust? It lacks the power of the swing and it's so slow to retract the knife user can easily grab the bat.

The true answer depends on where the fight is taking place. Indoors or in a confined area like a narrow alley? Go for knife. The bat will get caught up on shit and diminish it's threatening range, and it can't thrust effectively, allowing knife to get up close.

Outdoors or in an open area like an empty warehouse? Bat all the way. Knife has to try to get in and bat has the range to keep the attacker out, and an open environment allows the bat user to maintain spacing. Punish attempts to get in, disable the knife user then go for the kill.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It recently hit me how much I appreciate Patrick explaining some obscure stuff in and around games journalism. It's never the main focus of what's being talked about, but he always seems to go out of his way to throw in some behind-the-scenes stuff explaining why or how something is done the way it's done. It's just very illuminating, and I love it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Would you rather get stabbed once, or hit with a bat once?

In this hypothetical confrontation between nobodies who have never really been in a fight before both of those things are going to happen. Whoever wins is still going to get stabbed, or get hit with a bat.

I would much rather take a shot from an aluminium bat than get stabbed. So I'm taking the knife.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Would you rather get stabbed once, or hit with a bat once?

In this hypothetical confrontation between nobodies who have never really been in a fight before both of those things are going to happen. Whoever wins is still going to get stabbed, or get hit with a bat.

I would much rather take a shot from an aluminium bat than get stabbed. So I'm taking the knife.
Yeah, Cado's approach is too pragmatic to not support.

Take the knife and suffer the consequences.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Those are both bad plays; you're diminishing the bat's strengths for a mediocre short range blunt attack, the worst of both worlds. Who is threatened by a bat thrust? It lacks the power of the swing and it's so slow to retract the knife user can easily grab the bat.

The true answer depends on where the fight is taking place. Indoors or in a confined area like a narrow alley? Go for knife. The bat will get caught up on shit and diminish it's threatening range, and it can't thrust effectively, allowing knife to get up close.

Outdoors or in an open area like an empty warehouse? Bat all the way. Knife has to try to get in and bat has the range to keep the attacker out, and an open environment allows the bat user to maintain spacing. Punish attempts to get in, disable the knife user then go for the kill.
Interestingly, bats actually can thrust effectively. It's a part of self-defense training with Maglites, too; you might think that they're supposed to be swung, but thrusts are harder to read, less likely to damage your hand or jounce the bat out of your grip, and are very capable of exerting a lot of force with very little wind-up time.

On the other hand, I've consistently heard that knives are a very bad idea for self-defense. They require you to get so close-up that you're likely to be harmed, it's easy to be disarmed, and you're about as likely to seriously hurt yourself as you are anyone else.

("self-defense Actually guy" is probably the worst role i've ever taken on the internet or anywhere else)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm confident in my bat defence and a lot less confident in my knife defence

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have proficiency for neither bat nor knife, so I take a -4 roll on all attack and defense rolls.

Given my average strength and dexterity, that brings my total roll to -4.

I don't think I could even win against an unarmed giant rat with these kind of stats.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
We all know what Danielle would do. She would take neither, disarm the person, then knock them out and put them in the recovery position as she administers first aid.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Rob talking about Arkham Knight vs. Arkham Asylum actually convinced me to buy the Batman collection on sale on the PS Store and play through Arkham Knight (borrowed it from a friend, and I still have my PS4 save file), and then finally play through Arkham Asylum (I played it a bit on PC, but then my PC died, so I never got back to it)

Arkham Knight, is kind of a mess of a game. There are things I think are clever and fun (like the Riddler and Catwoman sections, and how they integrated Joker into the story) but it is surrounded by a bunch of stuff that is isn't super fun (like the other Batmobile stuff, tailing missions, etc.).

It is a game that feels like there are just a bunch of baffling choices (there is a Two-Face set of missions, a Penguin set of missions, and then a Man Bat and Firefly missions? Did they run out of villains? Also all the militia missions are so boringly themed, but eh, more gameplay I suppose) that it almost feels like there were a bunch of restrictions was put on this game, but I have no idea if that is a developer thing, a time/money thing, or a DC thing.

That being said, I think it is still a fun game worth playing through if one is interested in flawed games. I just put it on easy, and the combat is fun and allows for enough creativity to not be frustrating, and the story so far is entertaining.

A Waypoint 101 of Arkham Knight would be interesting, but I don't think they do those anymore? The last one was in January I think...

Edit: And the whole "Who is Arkham Knight" plot line is totally knee capped if you read Batman comics. I mean, they could pull a crazy plot twist on me, but I really doubt it.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
I have proficiency for neither bat nor knife, so I take a -4 roll on all attack and defense rolls.

Given my average strength and dexterity, that brings my total roll to -4.

I don't think I could even win against an unarmed giant rat with these kind of stats.
Due to how combat works and stats shake out in 3.5, a common house cat can kill most average villagers in a fight.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Rob talking about Arkham Knight vs. Arkham Asylum actually convinced me to buy the Batman collection on sale on the PS Store and play through Arkham Knight (borrowed it from a friend, and I still have my PS4 save file), and then finally play through Arkham Asylum (I played it a bit on PC, but then my PC died, so I never got back to it)

Arkham Knight, is kind of a mess of a game. There are things I think are clever and fun (like the Riddler and Catwoman sections, and how they integrated Joker into the story) but it is surrounded by a bunch of stuff that is isn't super fun (like the other Batmobile stuff, tailing missions, etc.).

It is a game that feels like there are just a bunch of baffling choices (there is a Two-Face set of missions, a Penguin set of missions, and then a Man Bat and Firefly missions? Did they run out of villains? Also all the militia missions are so boringly themed, but eh, more gameplay I suppose) that it almost feels like there were a bunch of restrictions was put on this game, but I have no idea if that is a developer thing, a time/money thing, or a DC thing.

That being said, I think it is still a fun game worth playing through if one is interested in flawed games. I just put it on easy, and the combat is fun and allows for enough creativity to not be frustrating, and the story so far is entertaining.

A Waypoint 101 of Arkham Knight would be interesting, but I don't think they do those anymore? The last one was in January I think...

Edit: And the whole "Who is Arkham Knight" plot line is totally knee capped if you read Batman comics. I mean, they could pull a crazy plot twist on me, but I really doubt it.

maybe save this for when you're done, but
I feel like "if you read Batman comics" is being generous. More like "if you ever glanced at a Wikipedia page and/or ever heard about past Robins".

When they started hinting at his identity, or clearly setting up the importance of him, I just kinda rolled my eyes. Like the fact that they even tried to make it seem like it was shocking/new and not totally adapting something else was a little tiring.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I remember from Arkham night, other than the hilarious way they shoehorned in the Joker, was THAT JUMP SCARE.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Cado's cd collection thing reminds me that the only reason I got Boa music in my library is because they did the opening theme to serial experiments lain.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
austin walker is going to talk about the fire emblems more this week and it's going to ruin me

then he's going to talk about evangelion and that will also ruin me!!!1!!!

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
both three houses and eva deal in time jumps to various degrees. he could marry and divorce in a time skip to the future of 2015

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished episode 25 of EVA

A09VrE0.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Eva (still need to watch EOE tho). Completely not surprised from Dan's reaction to the show because by the end it's totally on some Metal Gear Solid bullshit. It's so wild to see something that so clearly influenced Kojima's storytelling.

By the end I definitely had a turnaround on Asuka, she's one of the more compelling characters when all is said and done.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished 26. With coming into this knowing what I already knew about the creator and everything, I would completely be satisfied with this series conclusion as an allegory for depression and dependency issues, but without that pretext I would really feel empty from a narrative standpoint.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
After sort of hanging out in the Etcetera Eva thread for a bit and falling down a bit of a rabbit hole re: marching band covers of Cruel Angel's Thesis, I have a dumb question: how did this kind of bizarre, intimate meditation on the inability of people to form lasting human relationships and the horrors of going to war as essentially a child soldier become a family-friendly national phenomenon whose appeal endures through the decades? Like, how the hell does the Japanese Coast Guard Band know and play the theme song to the same TV show that gave us 25/26/End of Evangelion?

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
After sort of hanging out in the Etcetera Eva thread for a bit and falling down a bit of a rabbit hole re: marching band covers of Cruel Angel's Thesis, I have a dumb question: how did this kind of bizarre, intimate meditation on the inability of people to form lasting human relationships and the horrors of going to war as essentially a child soldier become a family-friendly national phenomenon whose appeal endures through the decades? Like, how the hell does the Japanese Coast Guard Band know and play the theme song to the same TV show that gave us 25/26/End of Evangelion?

The robots are really cool.

And then people want to know what happens.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The robots are really cool.

And then people want to know what happens.

I guess, but is that enough? I've seen people compare it to Star Wars in the west, but Star Wars is a pretty digestible and light-hearted story for the most part. I'm late to the Star Wars party too, and so watched Empire Strikes Back after people told me it was the best and darkest one. And Empire Strikes Back has absolutely nothing on Evangelion in terms of the depths of despair it reaches and the internal psychological discussion it contains.

It feels a bit like if Requiem For a Dream was popular enough to spawn its own line of action figures and lunchboxes or something.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Whatever it might be attached to, Cruel Angel's Thesis is a jam.

If She's A Lady had been created for and played over the opening credits of A Clockwork Orange, people would still think it was a jam.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I should rephrase. I'm not questioning why Cruel's Angel Thesis is popular; it's a fuckin' good song and it's attached to a massively popular anime.

What I'm actually asking is how on earth did EVANGELION, something that feels like it should be at minimum polarizing and definitely not something that seems like it should attract a wide audience due to how weird and intense it gets, is instead one of the biggest Japanese pop culture franchises of all time. Or are y'all saying that Cruel's Angel Thesis showing up everywhere is completely independent of the anime's popularity?

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I think there are a few things at play:
Giant Robot Anime is far more mainstream in Japan than in the West. Obviously Gundam is the biggest, but this does have a knock on effect.
People really like Rei and Asuka.
Cruel Angel's Thesis is banging and does in fact show up independently of Evangelion.
Marketing is a hell of a thing.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Sorry, I should rephrase. I'm not questioning why Cruel's Angel Thesis is popular; it's a fuckin' good song and it's attached to a massively popular anime.

What I'm actually asking is how on earth did EVANGELION, something that feels like it should be at minimum polarizing and definitely not something that seems like it should attract a wide audience due to how weird and intense it gets, is instead one of the biggest Japanese pop culture franchises of all time. Or are y'all saying that Cruel's Angel Thesis showing up everywhere is completely independent of the anime's popularity?

The first half of the series really doesn't go too deep down the rabbit hole.

Plenty of casual familiarity doesn't delve into the depths.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

So I only got around to playing the DLC last year-ish when it was on sale, but it is so much better than all the main militia/Arkham Knight stuff they did the game a disservice by portioning it off as DLC. Seriously, the Mr. Freeze missions might be the actual best thing in the entire series. If it's on sale anywhere, pick up the Season of Infamy thing or whatever it's called. It's great.

And shoutouts to Arkham Origins, the Love Actually of video games.

Her spine tho

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
So I only got around to playing the DLC last year-ish when it was on sale, but it is so much better than all the main militia/Arkham Knight stuff they did the game a disservice by portioning it off as DLC. Seriously, the Mr. Freeze missions might be the actual best thing in the entire series. If it's on sale anywhere, pick up the Season of Infamy thing or whatever it's called. It's great.
I was playing last night, and I accidentally tabbed over to these missions, and did the whole Mad Hatter set, and booooooy was it better than 95% of the side content. Short sweet, had a cool end section.

Looking forward to the Mr. Freeze stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing last night, and I accidentally tabbed over to these missions, and did the whole Mad Hatter set, and booooooy was it better than 95% of the side content. Short sweet, had a cool end section.

Looking forward to the Mr. Freeze stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!
Good to hear. Like I said, I think the game would have been much better received if that was in there and they straight up cut a bunch of "chase the APC"/"blow up the mine"/"beat up this little compound" stuff. It was so goddamn uninteresting.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That pink isn't very legible and I thought it said "Shinji, Rei, Asuka, & Mom". I'm now wondering if Mari almost looking like Mom is intentional.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

There's probably some actual contemporary writing on this out there - I know one of Gainax's co-founders has written books on otaku, and there's some other notable works on the same subject from around that time - but my completely baseless guess is the merch + CD sales + whatever was big enough to get into wider awareness.

plus, yeah, earlier bits not being as out there = people getting some taste of it easily enough, maybe

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colors feel wrong. Should be character colors instead of Eva colors.

And yeah. Should absolutely be &Mom lol.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Mari could be mom...

I didn't finish the manga until very recently and I haven't seen the rebuild movies but

this seems like a crazy thing to include after the end of the manga's story ended. Yes, this is a chapter where Mari is at college alongside Yui and Gendo. It's so weird.