• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Throughout the Cube World discussion I kept going from 'damn i wanna play this' to 'damn i dont want to play this' back to 'damn i wanna play this' and i don't know exactly where i landed in the end.
Honestly, it didn't really sound like Austin sold any of the other guys on the game, and I have to wonder if his experience with the game back in 2013 is clouding his judgement on how the progression system works now. Throughout the entire discussion it just sounded to me like Austin was trying to pull arguments as he was talking.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
that goose probably could cast zetta flare

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that goose probably could cast zetta flare[/i]
images

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I know i asked more or less this exact question a bit back but where's a good entry point into Friends at the Table? I tried to get in when they restarted their Space Game in the New Era but it totally lost me really fast. I listened to the whole Counter/Weight arc and loved it and I might go back to Heiron (I think I got up them fucking around on the island where nobody can die?) but I have no idea what's going on. Somehow I don't remember even the resolution of the Word-Eater arc at all? Very confused.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I know i asked more or less this exact question a bit back but where's a good entry point into Friends at the Table? I tried to get in when they restarted their Space Game in the New Era but it totally lost me really fast. I listened to the whole Counter/Weight arc and loved it and I might go back to Heiron (I think I got up them fucking around on the island where nobody can die?) but I have no idea what's going on. Somehow I don't remember even the resolution of the Word-Eater arc at all? Very confused.
I finished the first season of Heiron, Counter/Weight, and I think there was a mini season that took place in Heiron's past? There were trains and some kind of temple I think? I fell off a couple episodes into season 2 of Heiron. I missed a couple episodes and because Austin uses flavor text for the episode descriptions instead of a summary of what happened, it makes it a fucking nightmare to figure out where you left off. So you basically have to listen to a bunch of intros until something sounds familiar and I wasn't enjoying it enough to do that. But yeah that first season of Counter/Weight is easily my favorite.

The Word-Eater encounter ends with them using a trick to get it to eat a word that kills it. After that they find some temple that's been knocked over, I think? The undead pirate arc is about one of them killing one of the pirates I think and one of them is forced to stand trial for something.... I can't remember.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the flavour text explanation stuff is fantastic if you're in the story already but if you're not i'm like WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING? THESE EPISODES ARE TWO+ HOURS LONG, I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
That is a very Austin Walker brand thing to do, ha.

I never could really get into those sort of storytelling podcast/radio plays/sometimes video. I watched Critical Role for a bit until they got way too into the playing for the audience angle and being a story. Just didn't enjoy it all that much. I preferred it when it felt like I was watching a group of people just play dnd and not having them play it up as a story for an audience, which is just very clearly became. I had the same issue with Adventure Zone when it very much just became that as well.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
When they were playing Powered by the Apocalypse style stuff it was easier to follow because the way the story and game mechanics intertwine it makes the very act of generating a story part of gameplay, as opposed to DND where you have to basically railroad the fucking thing to make anything do what you want. Not that FATT doesn't also just sit down and let Austin flex his writing muscles everywhere all the time (which, honestly, is also where it loses me a lot of the time. But sometimes it fuckin rules)

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Ya that's fair. I really enjoy every year's Beastcast Christmas Special because the "gameplay is storytelling" blend works well enough for me and there doesn't feel like there is an onus on them to "perform" or tell a story, it is just something that happens because that is how the game works.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it's also probably why FATT tends to lose me whenever they switch to a new system

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the hieron seasons are my favorite so I'm gonna recommend those

sounds like you were pretty far in season 1 so you're prob gonna be lost if you just go back to where you were
you could try marielda (which is a pretty standalone fun heist-y thing) and if you move onto season 2 of hieron, there's a very in-depth recap episode for season 1

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yay FatT talk! I recently finished listening to everything on the main feed, just had the last of Counterweight to listen to.

I would listen to Marielda (the Hieron prequel that's short and sweet and has the absolute best music in the entire show IMO) and pick up from there. The episode after Marielda is a summary of the first season of Hieron, so that will help getting you back on track. It sounds like you were really close to the end of the first season of Hieron.

The next few weeks are going to have standalone games they've been playing and publishing through their Patreon in preparation for the next season set in the "Divine" universe (Counterweight and Twilight Mirage), so it might be a good idea to jump in with those if you prefer scifi. I've already listened to them but apparently they're going to be editing them and adding music, so I'll probably listen again. There's some neat stuff in there.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm someone who advises listening to everything, but I also definitely fell off at certain times and would binge chunks.

I think starting with Marielda and then either going back to season 1 or just going forward into the recaps + season 2 is a pretty solid option, especially if you already did listen to a lot of season 1. Tbh the end of season 1 for Ice Party is what I forgot the most (I was relistening to it to fix that at some point but never actually got that far again...), and I do feel they cover it well enough later that you're probably fine.

though if you only got to Boat Party fucking around at Nacre, you may have missed the trial at Nacre and the events surrounding that, which may be worth going out of your way listen to? idk

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
if you only got to Boat Party fucking around at Nacre, you may have missed the trial at Nacre and the events surrounding that, which may be worth going out of your way listen to? idk
Yeah, both the trial in nacre and the conclusion of the mark of erasure arc (specially the word eater encounter, which I guess is actually not that close to the end) is stellar. You should listen to it eventually even if you'd rather start clean with Marielda right now so you don't have to worry about remembering stuff.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I missed a couple episodes and because Austin uses flavor text for the episode descriptions instead of a summary of what happened, it makes it a fucking nightmare to figure out where you left off.

I run into this constantly. I would pick up FatT for a while, something else would come up, then I try to come back to it and it's like where the fuck did I leave off? What's going on? Who are these people?

I have no idea how Austin is able to keep track of so many names, characters and factions. It's impressive. FatT is honestly DM goals, but at times it can become A LOT, even as just a listener.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
thank you for all the good advice. i have decided like an idiot to disregard it all and start again from the beginning because i am a moron

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I run into this constantly. I would pick up FatT for a while, something else would come up, then I try to come back to it and it's like where the fuck did I leave off? What's going on? Who are these people?

I have no idea how Austin is able to keep track of so many names, characters and factions. It's impressive. FatT is honestly DM goals, but at times it can become A LOT, even as just a listener.
If I had to guess he's got a google doc listing all that stuff out, so he doesn't really need to keep track of everything at once. And part of the way they play is that the DM (Austin) and the players come up with some stuff together, so it's not all on him.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The DnD podcast I want to start listening to is Jeff Cannata's Dungeon Run. Seems like he takes really great care to ensure they effectively on-board new listeners / watchers. I just don't have time for another 2-3 hours/week of podcasts / videos to watch / listen to.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew the Cube World seg would be a mess when Austin introduced it as "I'm only going to talk for five minutes because I don't know how I feel yet."

Five-star runtimes indeed.

Lol at the big digression into explaining the whole premise of Momento to set up one passing analogy.

thank you for all the good advice. i have decided like an idiot to disregard it all and start again from the beginning because i am a moron

That works. But also, skip all of the ongoing FAAT canon. Listen to Marielda and then sign up for their Patreon to listen to Bluff City and all their oneshots.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Does Episode 267 sound really off to anyone else? Rob seems to overlap himself? It sounds like all of the parts where Rob talks got mixed up.

Oct 27, 2017
I started with Fatt at Winter in Heiron and only went back and listened to Counter/Weight. Twilight Mirage was ok and I fell off of Spring. In fairness I fell off of Actual Play pods in general too. I'll probably jump back on for whatever SciFi thing they do next.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I started with Fatt at Winter in Heiron and only went back and listened to Counter/Weight. Twilight Mirage was ok and I fell off of Spring. In fairness I fell off of Actual Play pods in general too. I'll probably jump back on for whatever SciFi thing they do next.

yeah i just want another good starting point where they're still figuring out the world. Heiron all the way at the beginning is pretty good though, apart from the audio quality.

The Bluff City stuff sounded good in concept to me, but I never patreon'd so I won't be able to get it until I do or they put it out for free. (I might patreon idk)

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy enough to Patreon for like $1, immediately cancel, and then download a fat Bluff City archive.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
I understand that you need to save for that bed that Rob keeps advertising.
He can't be a very good salesman if he's still selling the same bed.

As an aside, I keep hearing about these bed ads but never get them thanks to being in the UK. Instead we're currently getting Facebook Privacy Settings ads.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The ads I got are about Australian bananas and that if I peel good, I feel good.

Not very into circumcision, us Australians.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an ***incredibly*** low stakes complaint that I absolutely do not have very strong feelings over:

I wish they would stop ending the podcast and then keep going for 30 min. Just.... end the podcast when it really ends (as in, 30 min later). Please?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This is an ***incredibly*** low stakes complaint that I absolutely do not have very strong feelings over:

I wish they would stop ending the podcast and then keep going for 30 min. Just.... end the podcast when it really ends (as in, 30 min later). Please?
I feel the same. There is a reason podcasts have an outro song. So you know it's done and you're on to what's next, especially if listening on an audio device. Having extended post-outros, with multiple pauses that fake you out, is weirdly disorienting.