• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Xur is also decent for trying to get better rolls on the exotic armor since those are all random stats as well. Buying the fated engram off of Xur either guarantees you getting an exotic you don't have (from the Y1 or Y2 collection) or it's just a free exotic roll.

goblin

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed that there are timestamps for today's podcast and I'm so happy, thanks to whoever at Waypoint did this!

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's understandable to know what you do and don't get with SK. You need an infographic for that shit; it's all over the place.

REWrqQqjac5bBsqdGzjU25.png

Yeah its surprisingly generous what they re giving away for free, especially the entire patrol area and two strikes. I honestly thought I had accidentally bought the game or something. I'll probably pick Shadowkeep up when it's on sale, I don't really have the time to dedicate to raids so I'd only really want it for the campaign.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I love where Austin is at in the story of FFXIV, because I forgot how basic early 2.0 was and how surprisingly aware of their own problematic setups were later in the stories.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I popped into this thread a few times over the week reading some people's takes on the Monday podcast and their perception that Austin was being too cautious or soft-pedaling of the current China news cycle and having not heard the podcast yet I was highly skeptical of those takes but was interested to hear what actually was said.

Anyways today I listened to that episode and now today's episode where they actually dive into the issue with a more expansive explanation of their feelings and goddamn if some of y'all really seemed to be chomping at the bit to read Monday's words in the worst of faith and a lack of literacy of the under-girding politics Austin has espoused with his platform.

People who are seemingly fans of Austin and Waypoint really seemed to demand him and Waypoint to parrot out a very specific and shallow form of jingoistic pro-democracy response and were embittered by his desire to not rush to that version of response. I'm glad personally he(And Rob) instead chose to come at it form a bigger picture particularly with regard to power, manufactured consent, and how to responsibly advocate for sympathetic causes without having your decency be opportunistically leveraged for duplicitous ends by people with very different goals for their support of HK protestors.

It's also particularly frustrating that people were mad that they didn't get a hot take. Some of the frustration seemed to stem solely from his desire to take some time to develop how he wanted to weigh in on a complex topic given he knows he has a responsibility as a person with a platform and a person who is given credibility on weighty topics. Don't contribute to the watering down of discourse by demanding comprehensive rebuke and takes instantaneously just because we exist in a new media world.

Last edited:

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
God do I feel so much for Austin as he talks about early FF14. It took me something like two years of intermittent play to slowly drag my way through the free trial to level 35, and I only pushed through to 50 because I wanted to finish the base story within 30 days after I activated the Amazon Prime starter pack.

I genuinely dislike most of the game until patch 2.4, I think jobs take way too long to become actually engaging (the ones I've played, anyway), and I find a lot of the quest design to be consistently tedious. But I also immediately bought Shadowbringers after finishing 2.5 and then started listening to music from Heavensward and Stormblood on my commute and while working so Yoshi-P and Soken won in the end.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I popped into this thread a few times over the week reading some people's takes on the Monday podcast and their perception that Austin was being too cautious or soft-pedaling of the current China news cycle and having not heard the podcast yet I was highly skeptical of those takes but was interested to hear what actually was said.

Anyways today I listened to that episode and now today's episode where they actually dive into the issue with a more expansive explanation of their feelings and goddamn if some of y'all really seemed to be chomping at the bit to read Monday's words in the worst of faith and lack a literacy of the under-girding politics Austin has espoused with his platform.

People who are seemingly fans of Austin and Waypoint really seemed to demand him and Waypoint to parrot out a very specific and shallow form of jingoistic pro-democracy response and were embittered by his desire to not rush to that version of response. I'm glad personally he(And Rob) instead chose to come at it form a bigger picture particularly with regard to power, manufactured consent, and how to responsibly advocate for sympathetic causes without having your decency be opportunistically leveraged for duplicitous ends by people with very different goals for their support of HK protestors.

It's also particularly frustrating that people were mad that they didn't get a hot take. Some of the frustration seemed to stem solely from his desire to take some time to develop how he wanted to weigh in on a complex topic given he knows he has a responsibility as a person with a platform and a person who is given credibility on weighty topics. Don't contribute to the watering down of discourse by demanding comprehensive rebuke and takes instantaneously just because we exist in a new media world.
Patrick made two salient points when he spoke up on today's pod:

Firstly, he said that Blizzard's response was wildly disproportionate to the player's statement. It was, and Patrick succinctly summarized the whole thing in few words. Nobody on Monday asked Austin to come to a complete solution for HK and the CCP. This has been about Blizzard since the event because it was Blizzard's actions that were obscene, and despite Austin today knowingly (and appreciatively) going into specific issues both historically related to and explicitly around the current conflict, that doesn't actually factor into roundly condemning the company that kowtowed to what must have just been a perceived pressure rather than an actual one; the firing of all involved was too swift to have actually been forced by the Chinese government.

Secondly, Patrick later said that it becomes really interesting when these sort of issues lead to left-leaning people and Gamergators falling on the same side of an issue (possibly for very different reasons) and ending up with tweets from shitty people collectively retweeted on their timeline. Like you phrased it, duplicitous ends will be reached by opportunists...no matter what the issue at hand actually is. They're weasels. They'll weasel their way in to any hashtag or online movement. That certainly doesn't mean that one shouldn't speak out, and specifically now, pondering over condemning Blizzard's actions because racists may glom on is so unnecessarily navelgaze-y and naive I don't even know where to begin. That's not to say that the broader conversation shouldn't be had with as much thought and effort put into it as possible, and that's not to say that the Waypoint crew didn't condemn them today (insofar as some of it came across as "capitalists gonna capitalize, lend your voice thoughtfully where you can" and yeah, I know) but also, unless they first spoke about the initial story just as it broke, saying Blizzard had majorly fucked up on Monday (again, to perceived pressure) shouldn't have been that hard or had needed to be couched in some stupid signs some protesters held up.

And that's not a hot take, that's just a basic analysis fueled by the general background radiation of international news.

Also, as an aside, the phrase "jingoistic pro-democracy response" is kind of horseshit. Come on. It not only assumes commenters were all from the same place and selling the same values (outside of democracy) but portrays commenters as pulling from some Freedom Fries, "they hate us for our freeedoooom" crap, instead of, you know, the idea that totalitarianism is bad.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, my head writes faster than my fingers.

I mean the sentence parses, but you're not actually quoting anybody. So I don't know what you read as a

demand him and Waypoint to parrot out a very specific and shallow form of jingoistic pro-democracy response

except by reading in bad faith or with poor literacy.

Anyway, the follow up pod did actually do the work the throwaway segment was missing. Which is all I wanted.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
lso, as an aside, the phrase "jingoistic pro-democracy response" is kind of horseshit. Come on. It not only assumes commenters were all from the same place and selling the same values (outside of democracy) but portrays commenters as pulling from some Freedom Fries, "they hate us for our freeedoooom"

First I would like to state you are focusing on the Blizzard story but if you listen to both podcasts it seems pretty clear Monday's podcast was recorded before the Blizzard fallout. They only mention the NBA story in Monday's podcast. In fact in today's podcast Austin specifically talks about initially feeling like the HK protests were an issue he didn't need to dive into as it hadn't crossed into their world yet and his desire to stay in his lane on a complex subject. Shit, he wasn't even aware of the NBA story at the time, Patrick had to give him a recap. Then the Blizzard stuff happened and he laughed at how coincidental the timing was and how it forced his hand for today's podcast.

Also with regard to the jingoistic remark, okay I'll accept that was overly flattening. I will say though that as Austin brings up there are very real reasons why certain atrocities get media coverage and others do not and I think it's ridiculous to be frustrated at someone trying to come to terms with how they want to express their views on an issue without feeling like they are being used or manipulated by the particular media landscape we are in especially as we actively see shitty people use this issue for duplicitous ends.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Alphinaud never gets better and anyone that says otherwise is a stone cold liar. Same way 9S never actually gets better and people just like that type of character even though they are terrible and always terrible.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Alphinaud never gets better and anyone that says otherwise is a stone cold liar. Same way 9S never actually gets better and people just like that type of character even though they are terrible and always terrible.
9S' descent into madness at least means something. Is that the case for Alphinaud or is he just consistently shitty?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I "like" 9S in the way that I appreciate him as a delusional character. He's the only decent character alongside Pascal in Automata but Pascal is intentionally likeable and 9S is a little shit.

I only ever played up through Heavensward I should say and haven't been able to play Stormblood or Shadowbringers. I should also say that I basically don't like any of the "core" crew. Alphinaud was just consistently annoying and *that* type of character.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
9S' descent into madness at least means something. Is that the case for Alphinaud or is he just consistently shitty?
Oh he's not shitty at all. He's an idealist working with a hero that can seemingly do anything. The way things go aren't surprising, really.

He's a good character that has a much longer arc than most of the main cast. Heavensward does a lot for him, IIRC.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
Also gonna mention I played Heavensward basically the week it came out and the whole story and characters are a blur to me. I only remember being intrigued by the Garleans and not liking anyone in the core crew.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Also gonna mention I played Heavensward basically the week it came out and the whole story and characters are a blur to me. I only remember being intrigued by the Garleans and not liking anyone in the core crew.
You'd probably like Stormblood a lot. It focuses much more on Garleans and their impact on Eorzea. For as well told as Heavensward is, I kinda like Stormblood's story more so far because of that.

I should mention I'm only mid-Stormblood, but what I've seen so far really impressed me. Though I think I have a higher opinion of it than most folks.

Nov 3, 2017

I reckon he actually gets worse. Pre The Thing That Happens, he's an arrogant little shit who constantly needs to be the smartest person in the room.

Post The Thing, he gets humbled for a bit, but his growth is to become the smartest person in the room who all the Scions listen to anyway! The motherfucker ends up getting exactly what he wants!

Like sure, I can get it's a 'good' arc, but he gets it at the expense of basically every other Scion, many of whom remain criminally underdeveloped, at least where I am up to in Stormblood. The level of favouritism the writers show him over everyone else just makes me wish a fucking rock will fall on either him and put us all out of his misery

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Alisaie rocks.
I reckon he actually gets worse. Pre The Thing That Happens, he's an arrogant little shit who constantly needs to be the smartest person in the room.

Post The Thing, he gets humbled for a bit, but his growth is to become the smartest person in the room who all the Scions listen to anyway! The motherfucker ends up getting exactly what he wants!

Like sure, I can get it's a 'good' arc, but he gets it at the expense of basically every other Scion, many of whom remain criminally underdeveloped, at least where I am up to in Stormblood. The level of favouritism the writers show him over everyone else just makes me wish a fucking rock will fall on either him and put us all out of his misery
I disagree. He gets a lot of focus in post-ARR and Heavensward due to his proximity to all the story events, sure. But in post-Heavensward and Stormblood he, at least up to where I'm at, takes a back seat to other Scions.

The story--pretty wisely IMO--only tries to juggle so many characters in each arc. It doesn't forget what happens ever or anything. The only overwhelming character in the story is YOU, lol.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Random thing: I'd think at some point they would have changed "beast" tribes to something else considering what the game tells you later on.

Also just listening to the pod now and lmao Austin talking shit about Alphinaud.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like John Wick Hex has been massively misunderstood by everyone. It's, like... a stylish tactics game, not a turn-based combat game; the challenge isn't in overcoming the level, it is in mastering the level, going through as quick and flawlessly as possible. JWH is a score attack game.

Too many folks want it to be a combat puzzle or action game, which it very much isn't. You have few tools and very cheap tactics, but those don't lead to good scores.

I'll admit the initial pitch made me think "combat puzzle," but what is delivered is just as good. At its best, It very much captures the John Wick feel of flowing through an overwhelming force with grace and precision.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like John Wick Hex has been massively misunderstood by everyone. It's, like... a stylish tactics game, not a turn-based combat game; the challenge isn't in overcoming the level, it is in mastering the level, going through as quick and flawlessly as possible. JWH is a score attack game.

Too many folks want it to be a combat puzzle or action game, which it very much isn't. You have few tools and very cheap tactics, but those don't lead to good scores.

I'll admit the initial pitch made me think "combat puzzle," but what is delivered is just as good. At its best, It very much captures the John Wick feel of flowing through an overwhelming force with grace and precision.
I mean, part of the problem is that the game's style is, like, really lame.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
First I would like to state you are focusing on the Blizzard story but if you listen to both podcasts it seems pretty clear Monday's podcast was recorded before the Blizzard fallout. They only mention the NBA story in Monday's podcast. In fact in today's podcast Austin specifically talks about initially feeling like the HK protests were an issue he didn't need to dive into as it hadn't crossed into their world yet and his desire to stay in his lane on a complex subject. Shit, he wasn't even aware of the NBA story at the time, Patrick had to give him a recap. Then the Blizzard stuff happened and he laughed at how coincidental the timing was and how it forced his hand for today's podcast.

Just to clarify, yes the Monday pod was recorded roughly 12-15 hours before Blizzard announced the suspensions/fines. They definitely had zero knowledge of the incident since it only got coverage after Blizzard took action. Their comments were all about the NBA. At that point on Monday the NBA story was significantly different from Blizzard as well- the GM in question hadn't been disciplined and the league was already walking back from any perceived suppression of an employee's speech.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I haven't gotten that far into Monday's podcast yet but based on the above I really have to ask:

did y'all not hear when they were talking about the NBA and assumed it was Blizzard, then, or was it just that they vaguely talked about Hong Kong (because it was expected the context would be clearer) and so it was assumed...?

I'm just confused as to how that much misunderstanding happened here if it actually wasn't even about Blizzard to begin with, lol. I guess I'll find out when I have more time to listen to stuff later today, but...

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna cop to that now, I did assume they had talked briefly about Blizzard on Monday (or rather talked around it). Either I inserted that mentally myself, or saw it mentioned here and just absorbed it as fact. So, I'm not sure how that happened but I definitely was mistaken if Blizzard never came up at all.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
For me, it was the whiplash of seeing them briefly mention the Hong Kong protests then immediately throw up a bunch of asterisks and qualifications, as if we need to consult the magic eight ball on whether violent police crackdowns from totalitarian states against pro-democracy protests are a bad thing, actually.

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if any of them even remember Kimahri from FFX.

Alisaie is great except for the part where she stands in AoEs. Stormbloood and Shadowbringers do a lot of heavy llifting to flesh out the non-Alphinaud Scions and by the end I loved them all... but Y'shtola is my actual fave and I wish I could join her tea party.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if any of them even remember Kimahri from FFX.

Alisaie is great except for the part where she stands in AoEs. Stormbloood and Shadowbringers do a lot of heavy llifting to flesh out the non-Alphinaud Scions and by the end I loved them all... but Y'shtola is my actual fave and I wish I could join her tea party.
Horny people remember Kimahri.

Therefore, Waypoint remembers Kimahri.

Oct 27, 2017
One challenging aspect of the protests not mentioned in the podcast, which Austin and Rob might have been thinking of (I'm not sure), is how some actors are CIA/MI5 ops.

Violent police crackdowns are not great, but, to state the obvious, not all protestors acting in good faith—or are genuine to begin with.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
One challenging aspect of the protests not mentioned in the podcast, which Austin and Rob might have been thinking of (I'm not sure), is how some actors are CIA/MI5 ops.

Violent police crackdowns are not great, but, to state the obvious, not all protestors acting in good faith—or are genuine to begin with.

Love to justify police brutality with baseless conspiracy theorising.

Disgusting post.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't comment on it but I will admit that I was a bit cautious when I heard Austin's words because I know there's a segment of the left with the attitude of "Well the CPC isn't that bad" and I just don't know how much Austin's sphere overlaps with those people. I'm glad they went in hard on Friday. Its not a conversation for this thread but I feel like a lot of people need reminding that China is not Venezuela

Oct 27, 2017
Love to justify police brutality with baseless conspiracy theorising.

Disgusting post.

lol ok my guy, you're having a normal one I see 😂 I'm absolutely not justifying police brutality and stating the simple fact that the CIA and MI5 would prop up and encourage protest groups, just as in Ukraine, is about as far away from baseless as you can get.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't comment on it but I will admit that I was a bit cautious when I heard Austin's words because I know there's a segment of the left with the attitude of "Well the CPC isn't that bad" and I just don't know how much Austin's sphere overlaps with those people. I'm glad they went in hard on Friday. Its not a conversation for this thread but I feel like a lot of people need reminding that China is not Venezuela
What if I told you Venezuela is not Venezuela

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This just randomly entered my brain, but if Austin is aiming to play a Dark Knight in FFXIV, he is making the right choice. The class story is my second favourite arc in the game so far, at least up to mid-Stormblood; it is incredible.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish there was more class story or at least more quests involving those characters. Like red mage I'm supposed to be like...zorro or a magical batman but there's not enough there.

Forgot today was a holiday and no podcast.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They're kinda instanced by necessity. Because you can play them in any order, even without progressing in the MSQ. It's only the higher level ones--locked in new zones--that can make assumptions about the state of the world.

DRK 60-70 arc, for example, goes some places.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me....why the FFXIV late game content is good like what about it differentiates it from a standard MMO.
Imagine an MMO that's actually a full-fledged Final Fantasy RPG. Sounds kinda silly spelled out like that, but honestly that's it.

Mostly, FFXIV manages to tell a story that is much bigger, and goes much farther, than any traditional RPG can. It tells the tale of a hero's journey, then tells what happened next. It is an utterly captivating study of heroism, in all its forms.

There's not really any other game doing what FFXIV does. I think that's why it has only gotten more popular as time goes on.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've drifted away from Waypoint for a little while and this was my first podcast in some time. It was a lot of fun listening to Austin's mid-ARR FFXIV impressions as someone who recently got through all of that. Hearing him say he's bailing if he's not on board by the end of ARR had me going "...oh man." When I was starting the game I thought I had an idea of when exactly I'd get to "the end of ARR," and that idea wound up being about 50% short of the actual end, lol. It technically ends at the end of 2.0, but the monotony doesn't end until maybe the end of 2.4, right on the verge of Heavensward.

I did eventually break through myself. Things suddenly get interesting as hell at the end of 2.x as they abruptly pay off every thread they've been laying out, and when you jump into HW proper it's perhaps the biggest "quality whiplash" I've experienced in games, damn near every aspect of the experience getting five times as good all at once. The narrative has been turned upside-down, you're in a new area, the familiar leitmotifs take on a somber tone, snow is falling, and it's just... it's Final Fantasy! The game takes 150 hours to wrap up all the loose ends of 1.0, and once it's shaken all of that off, it very suddenly becomes a Final Fantasy game. It rules.

...And I made it about ten hours into Heavensward before I just couldn't play anymore, since 2.0/2.x burned me out so thoroughly that I can't even stand the very structure of an MMO anymore, lol. My subscription lapsed yesterday. I really wish I had resisted the hype and just waited until later next year when they compress the early game.

I'll come back, though.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I've heard people saying that the FFXIV devs are planning to streamline all the Realm Reborn/base game content for new players in a future update--is that true? 'Cause if so I might make FFXIV my first attempt at an MMO since trying to find something of value in The Old Republic and just hating the experience.