• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
but if you don't throw kids down a well, how do you know how to start your number one football tactics podcast

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
With those, I will carve out some time to just lie down and listen to them (or if I'm on a plane as it's the holidays) and this is because A) I am very familiar with the cast and B) they are deliberately short form to fit one episode.

FatT is like, a huge investment though in terms of requiring my undivided attention.
Yeah this is exactly my problem. I can do 1.5-2 hours for a holiday special, but listening to FaaT on my commute or while I'm working I'm just missing stuff constantly because my brain temporarily loses focus

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Natalie has had something new coming soon for an insane amount of time.

This better be a mastahpeece.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I was strongly considering remaking my ffxiv character, possibly making them a sexy bunny lady or sexy lion man, but I have grown too attached to my weird grumpy heal dad

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was strongly considering remaking my ffxiv character, possibly making them a sexy bunny lady or sexy lion man, but I have grown too attached to my weird grumpy heal dad
You get one fantasia (the paid item to remake your character's appearance/race) for free when you finish ARR. Or at least, I did back when I finished it.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder where Cado got that 140-something number for the Hobbit from. People bitched and moaned endlessly about the 48 fps I'm surprised it didn't lock into people's heads.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
we need to find this level and send it to patrick

Does he still do Mario Maker 1 levels? I miss the suits you can do from the first one. Mario Maker 2 is overall the better game, but it is still missing a lot.

I need to watch more Game Center CX.

Also I like the Boen song just for that Earthbound sample of " I miss you" alone.

Bento

Dec 4, 2017
People have been saying the story is the reason to play but Austin just keeps saying that the story is terrible and that he hates playing through it.
The A Realm Reborn story was imo terrible even back when it launched with the sole exception being the raid dungeon story (giving more context for the end of FFXIV 1.0). Worth noting is that playing through the story only barely gets better with expansions. The single player gameplay of XIV is really weak throughout the entire experience.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
y581n0vte3531.png

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I was waiting for Austin to hit the Titan chunk of the game and I'm kind of surprised that it didn't totally put him off for now. I remember it being pretty disliked even back when A Realm Reborn launched.

It's been really interesting seeing the influx of new players with Shadowbringers and how they respond to all the ARR content. I loved it at the time but the circumstances of it's development are definitely very visible. It's also really suffered as the game has grown older due to there now being the goal of reaching much better content and the fact that all of the old content is made stupidly easy due to how overleveled everybody is at this point.

Also Austin needs to start using the ferry from Limsa Lominsa to cut down that journey to the Waking Sands.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The A Realm Reborn story was imo terrible even back when it launched with the sole exception being the raid dungeon story (giving more context for the end of FFXIV 1.0). Worth noting is that playing through the story only barely gets better with expansions. The single player gameplay of XIV is really weak throughout the entire experience.
I dunno, I thoroughly enjoy the MSQ goodies while playing through each one the first time. The mechanics aren't always the most exciting but I truly don't come to a MMO (or Final Fantasy games for that matter) for exhilarating mechanics outside of top-end raiding.

I do find a lot of the themes from Heavensward onward are tackled much more gracefully and in a more interesting manner than 90% of AAA games.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
austin's social media presence is definitely vibing better now that he's not doing EIC stuff so hard. mentions of getting enough sleep are good as hell

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I've flipped back and forth on Outer Worlds but, even as an Obsidian fan, I think Austin's piece cinched it as a "no" for me, at least for now. The Bethesda open world RPG loot model just has never successfully managed to grab me

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I kind of agree but (like with NV and not like FO3/skyrim) if the story/characters grab me I'll probably have a good time

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Austin had more Disco Elysium impressions.

The podcast on Tuesday said he only played for a couple hours.

Nov 3, 2017
I am so into Austin's regular XIV updates.

I'm actually super interested in whenever he gets to Stormblood. I know HW is generally considered the better expansion, but I feel SB will vibe more with Austin's tastes

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe Patrick forgot the Cheetamen theme. That was the backing track of him getting destroyed by "Cat Mario" back at GB. I don't think I've ever heard him as exasperated as that.

Edit:

I guess it's kinda the precursor to Mario Maker Mornings, too.

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
MMO's always seem daunting when there are years worth of content to get through no matter the quality, several hundred hours minimum to get through expansions. Part of the satisfaction people got for FFXIV is how people lived through all this content, and watching the Shadowbringers story for the hell of it i was pretty impressed by it considering i had no prior knowledge of the lore whatsoever, like crashing right into the 5th season of Breaking Bad.

Dogpostsonly

Oct 23, 2019
When Austin stepped down from his position in editorial I was most bummed by the fact that we would lose his critical writing on games. Turns out that getting some sleep has allowed him to write again and his latest piece on Outer Worlds is real good.

Outer Worlds Impressions

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Oh Damn, austin is playing FFXIV?

If I was back in ARR land now as it currently stands I think I'd play a tank instead. Dps is just very protected from anything approaching a mechanic in ARR now (not that its deep for a tank either, but at least you get to lead the party)

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Austin is well-rested again, and it's always a treat to read his writing about games.

Playing a tank in FF14 seems cool because sometimes you get to do wild anime stuff. I find it way more intimidating to queue as a tank (in general, but especially for new duties) than healer or DPS though.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I'm still very new to the game and there's a slight intimidation when I queue for party stuff cuz I don't want to let my team down

but I reeeaaaally would not want to play as a tank lol

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Being a healer or a tank seems terrifying to me, I'd hate to have a group relying on me for survival. It's a shame because it looks like a lot of fun, but way too much pressure for me.

That said, I'm nearing the end of the original FFXIV story and I've enjoyed my time as a monk.