• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
this is probably a way minority opinion, but man, i wish the end of the podcast was the end of the podcast -- i can't articulate why this bothers me so much, but having the preshow recording stuff show up after the podcast outro is just too much. every once in a while is cute, but every other episode is gratuitous.

this is very serious and i definitely think about it a lot. please respond.
This confused me for a while. I wasn't sure what was happening at the end of the podcast.

What are the claps for? I'm assuming it's for synchronizing their audio? It's weird how no one's made an audio program that embeds the UTC time into the recording itself. It seems like it would be very useful for remote podcast.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
it's for synchronizing their local recordings, yes

speaking of claps and preshow audio, you can pay $1 to the FatT Patreon to hear even more FF14 talk in the latest Clapcast, as it's slowly been corrupting them all

Oct 25, 2017
this is probably a way minority opinion, but man, i wish the end of the podcast was the end of the podcast -- i can't articulate why this bothers me so much, but having the preshow recording stuff show up after the podcast outro is just too much. every once in a while is cute, but every other episode is gratuitous.

this is very serious and i definitely think about it a lot. please respond.
It throws me off because I think my podcast playback fucked up, and I either lost my spot or what the fuck am I playing now? So I get it.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, wrong thread.

I like seeing that there's a bunch of time after the outro because I know we get into some shit.

Last edited:

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
EMhcHrBWwAc7ND2

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
this pokemon personality quiz for rob zacny without rob zacny's input is amazing

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I like how as soon as Austin doesn't have an office job he devolved into mmo degeneracy.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
give *clap* austin *clap* an *clap * ssr rare *clap* anime girl *clap* for a rhythm game *clap* or some shit

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
anyway I'm glad to hear Austin has been enjoying the post-heavensward stuff, I'm nearly done with it and it's by far the best stuff in the game from what I've seen

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever's in charge of the podcast please subject all past, current and future members of Waypoint to the Mystery Dungeon personality quiz as answered by their peers.

Replace Ryan Reynolds with Rob for Detective Pikachu 2 also

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
SWTOR's monetisation is really insidious when you lay it all out.
  • Free-to-play
  • Subscription for vanilla pre-F2P experience
  • convenience microtransactions from every angle you can think of to boost either free to paid accounts. Some are payable with in-game currency, but many others are not.
  • Many tiers of premium loot boxes.
  • An in-game RMT store where you can buy all varieties of cosmetics, complete with daily flash sales. Prices are out of this galaxy. (roughly $40 for basically Kylo Ren's lightsaber, for instance.)
  • I'm probably forgetting more.

A lot of it isn't necessary at all, but even with the paid subscription being denied so much of the game gnaws at you the longer you play. It's 100% chasing whales like the worst kind of gacha game.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah SWTOR's monetization is some of the worst, most mercenary I've ever seen. I fell prey to the lootboxes with random cosmetics for a little while too, because most of the cool looking gear comes from them. Spent probably a few hundred bucks before I woke the fuck up. I was depressed and had a credit card, which I've since gotten rid of, so I could defer payment until later, so it wasn't until I tallied it all up and realized I'd spent like 300 euros or something that I went "oh crap". And without a subscription the game is basically unplayable. There are so many restrictions it's ridiculous. F2P in name only imo.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
SWTOR's monetisation is really insidious when you lay it all out.
  • Free-to-play
  • Subscription for vanilla pre-F2P experience
  • convenience microtransactions from every angle you can think of to boost either free to paid accounts. Some are payable with in-game currency, but many others are not.
  • Many tiers of premium loot boxes.
  • An in-game RMT store where you can buy all varieties of cosmetics, complete with daily flash sales. Prices are out of this galaxy. (roughly $40 for basically Kylo Ren's lightsaber, for instance.)
  • I'm probably forgetting more.

A lot of it isn't necessary at all, but even with the paid subscription being denied so much of the game gnaws at you the longer you play. It's 100% chasing whales like the worst kind of gacha game.

Unless they changed it since, you can't even take off your helmet as a F2P player. The original Mandalorians.

I think people overhyped Austin on Heavensward and were speaking from hindsight or nostalgia because his critiques of it are spot on. I personally think that he will like Stormblood more because it deals with the politics and factions that Austin is craving right now. Also the music they use in Stormblood is so interesting. A book could be written about just the music they used for the Doma Castle dungeon.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying SWTOR is kinda making me realise that... FFXIV is better as a roleplaying game? I don't mean progression "RPG" stuff, but just in terms of roleplaying a character.

Like, yes, you play a very defined character in FFXIV and need to roll with a lot of what's happening. But as you do, you have the agency to go through class stories and side adventures on your own, plus the odd dialog choice. No matter what route you take through the game, FFXIV exhaustively tries to present it all as one coherent story starring you.

SWTOR meanwhile starts with some strong roleplaying choices, only to rob you of all agency whenever it is convenient. As you progress beyond your class story into expansion content, your agency dwindles to the point of insignificance. Vague references to past decisions becomes references to your class story, and your character's triumphs and abilities cease to matter. And worst of all, any sort of coherent personality your character had up to that point vanishes with it.

The Knights of the Fallen Empire xpac tries to remedy this by going heavy into choice & consequence, but it only highlights the game's flaws. While the story is interesting it is so modular (to fit, IIRC, every single class in the game, of either faction) and becomes so tertiary to TOR that it's difficult to care.

In roleplaying games, I crave the opposite of ludonarrative dissonance (ludonarrative harmony???) moreso than agency, I guess. Probably because linear RPGs always let down in that regard, so the harmony is more of a draw. Which is a very roundabout way of saying freeform, systems-driven roleplaying games like Mount&Blade or Kenshi are actually the best RPGs, because they give you both agency and harmony thanks to the absence of an authored story.
Unless they changed it since, you can't even take off your helmet as a F2P player. The original Mandalorians.

I think people overhyped Austin on Heavensward and were speaking from hindsight or nostalgia because his critiques of it are spot on. I personally think that he will like Stormblood more because it deals with the politics and factions that Austin is craving right now. Also the music they use in Stormblood is so interesting. A book could be written about just the music they used for the Doma Castle dungeon.
All advanced customisation options are locked, yeah. No hide helmets, colour matching, or outfits (for you or your companions), unless you pay to unlock them for your character or account. IIRC some can be in-game currency, but account-wide unlocks are all RMT transactions.

You also get mounts later, and get no rested XP, if you haven't bought in.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Hearing Austin being so up about the opening of FFXII, I wonder how he'll feel after finishing the story.

If he manages to.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
The whole Pokemon Personality quiz "You hear a scream behind a door, what do you do?" question and the reactions to it in the latest podcast (Ep 289) actually made me laughed out loud... thankfully there wasn't anyone around so I managed to get through it unseen.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood is so messy between the two fronts of the war and how it handles their female characters. which is like simultaneously girl power! and oh, girl power...
It's probably the worst of the expansions but I still liked what it was at least trying to do.

and yeah, I don't think people overhyping heavensward helped with austin's experience with the game so far.

SirDancelot

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's been years since I played it but I remember all of the characters feeling pretty flat, particularly Vann. It was the first mainline FF game I burned out on and didn't have the motivation to push through to finish.

Hearing Austin being so up about the opening of FFXII, I wonder how he'll feel after finishing the story.

If he manages to.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I played FF12 for the first time, like, early last year and had to drop it. It's the worst RTS in the world combined with some terrible character designs. After the first few hours, the connection to FFT was the only thing keeping me going.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
the thing about ffxii's story is that it's really good for a while then it just kinda... stops
4x speed kinda helps you move through those parts where nothing happens but it's still a noticeable problem
4x speed also makes grinding a quick (and sometimes unintentional) thing, which trivializes the entire combat system even further lol

the excellent localization and voice acting do wonders for that game though
and, of course, the fantastic redone soundtrack for the zodiac age release (which also includes some brand new music in spots that originally reused tracks from other areas)

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
"I'm Captain Basch!"

I eventually turned away from that game because I got tired of reprogramming my characters' gambits over and over as the parties changed (and grinding I think?). This easy + fast mode may be the thing for me.

Also I could never not notice the tinniness of the voices. It's not fair to the game but my brain just couldn't ignore it and it perpetually annoyed me.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
vanilla ffxii could be pretty challenging but you could bypass it by grinding and by giving everyone access to the restorative spells (basically everyone just attacks and heals themselves when needed)

I didn't play international + zodiac job system but I imagine that one was more challenging since everyone has to be put into distinct roles
gambits were also improved since you don't have to buy/find them, you just have them all from the start

zodiac age made it so you now choose two jobs per character, which is a cool idea but also just makes you very powerful
also activated my stressed out min/max brain since I wanted everyone to be the best job duo they could be lmao

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
zodiac age made it so you now choose two jobs per character, which is a cool idea but also just makes you very powerful
also activated my stressed out min/max brain since I wanted everyone to be the best job duo they could be lmao
Yeah this sounds perfect for me. I can turn off the min/maxing part of my brain for games big enough I know I'll never do everything. Never did the optional WEAPONs in FFVII for instance. Fuck that.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely curious to hear Austin's thoughts on FF XII if he sticks with it. I was really hot on it for the first half of the game then it just started spinning it's wheels around the midpoint before suddenly ending. I know the original director had to leave around a year before the game released and it totally feels like a game where somebody had to pickup on somebody else's ideas and try to piece them together.

I will say that Balthier is extremely good though. It's worth playing the game just for him.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic news. Gita is dream casting. Were it up to me she would've been my #1 choice to join Waypoint/Vice.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i've been meaning to play ffxii forever and just never gotten around to it.

everyone loves that translation. alex o smith banger.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I have to imagine there's a group of people that follow Matsuno around as his translation team and aid their own (Shakespeare-lite) flair to the game. I don't mind it (in fact I love it a lot) but I have no idea where Matsuno ends and the translation team starts. FF Tactics is still amazing almost solely because of Delita.