• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Recording of their PAX panel is up in the podcast feed (as today's podcast, I think). Gonna quote my notes on things lost in pure audio form:

1. Rob got a haircut
2. there is a point when discussing Wattam that Rob and Patrick just stare at each other for a bit
3. you can guess when Rob flips Austin off

and also if you're picturing Austin and Danika miming peeking through a chainlink fence at the relevant times, that's accurate

I guess Patrick also had a hairbrush he... found? but I'm not sure that bit was recorded since it was like 15 seconds before they actually started

and here are relevant tweets

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A Fortnite series feels like reaching for relevance since they've already said that most of them have little to no interest in it over PUBG. But if it brings in the views, business is business.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
hadn't really considering this might be a way to boost their video reviews but that does makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
A Fortnite series feels like reaching for relevance since they've already said that most of them have little to no interest in it over PUBG. But if it brings in the views, business is business.
They should have done this 3 months ago when it was clearly booming, not after it's boomed. It's still a hot property but them attaching to it now feels like they're not as in touch. That sounds too harsh, it really does. But people have already found their favorite Fortnite streamers.

Nov 27, 2017
I like to imagine someone from Vice corporate slammed their hands on the table and shouted "Fortnite!" and Austin made it so

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In spite of never playing it, I've always been kinda interested in Fortnite Horde Mode, while the Battle Royale seems like such a boring take on PUBG's--too small and arcadey to really capture what was fun about it.

I am afraid I'm not "With It" anymore...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I can't believe they replied to this.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the stream so maybe they presented it differently there, but based on the brief thing they said at the panel, it sounded like them playing Fortnite is like the thing they want to do with Warframe, isn't it? They're just playing it daily for two weeks to see what's up with it.

There isn't a video version of the PAX panel?

Nope (and there wasn't the last time they did a panel either). The theater it was in wasn't one that had streaming so they'd had to have had someone record it for them separately, unfortunately.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
But Warframe has some cool goals to accomplish--mainly, seeing the cinematic missions.

Fortnite is just... Fortnite.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
But Warframe has some cool goals to accomplish--mainly, seeing the cinematic missions.

Fortnite is just... Fortnite.

I mean, yeah, I'm far more curious about Warframe. Just meant it seemed like a specific limited thing rather than "we stream Fortnite now".

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Warframe Wednesdays vs Fortnite Fridays

So long as nothing infringes on Tactical Tuesdays it'll all be OK.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with these zeitgeist-chasing streams are what Sunflower mentioned - the people that like Fortnite enough to watch longform videos of Fortnite really like Fortnite and probably don't have much interest in beginners (or semi-beginners) tooling about learning the ropes of the game. And they'll never be able to compete with the constant stream of content the dedicated streamers produce either. I just dunno.

I would enjoy them taking the piss out of the game and pulling it apart critically, but that's not really the tone their streams try to strike.

(Also, Fortnite is better than PUBG)

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with these zeitgeist-chasing streams are what Sunflower mentioned - the people that like Fortnite enough to watch longform videos of Fortnite really like Fortnite and probably don't have much interest in beginners (or semi-beginners) tooling about learning the ropes of the game. And they'll never be able to compete with the constant stream of content the dedicated streamers produce either. I just dunno.

I would enjoy them taking the piss out of the game and pulling it apart critically, but that's not really the tone their streams try to strike.

(Also, Fortnite is better than PUBG)
No piss to take out, Fortnite is an exceptionally fun game!

Seriously it's really good and I love PUBG, but I agree with you. It's better. I barely go back to PUBG, I hit Fortnite every day or two.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Austin running late to the office with toast while Danielle runs past him at super speed and a vapor wave/jpop mashup plays

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick is the clumsy best friend.

Rob is the wise/respectable friend and/or some kind authority figure who's secretly the villain.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Season 3 Patrick gets turned into a hotdog by delinquents from Giant Bomb High and the Waypointers must travel there to fight in a tournament arc

What are we doing again

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
we're enjoying #content in the manner that we as #digitalnatives see #fit

Nov 27, 2017
They've turned Patrick's written review into a podcast *and* a video. I admire the hustle. They should grab Graham Rowat from GWJ to do their readings.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
They really should have done this kind of content from the start honestly. Good traffic drivers and I think the little discussion in the review podcast between Rob and the reviewer is a really good format.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, that's a good topic.

And yeah, I haven't listened to the GoW one yet but I'm digging the review + discussion format. I already liked the readings alone but the discussions have been a very nice addition.

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't even mention the Dead Island 2 trailer (that game is officially still in development btw) with such a fake-Jack Black at the end that Jack Black actually came out and said it wasn't him.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
on the other hand that dead island trailer is really good

just

unrelated

Oct 25, 2017
Austin's take on how people just didn't understand the NMS pitch is disappointing.
The problem with the gameplay(!) trailer was that it shows a lot of things that are impossible in the game. And it's not just superficial stuff like graphics, it's systems like animals interacting with eachother. Even during its launch they left that one up on their Steam page insead of correcting it with a newer one.
Murray's interviews contained straight up lies, not just vague misinterpretations. His whole defense was that people expected a different game because of their own fantasies or whatever, which is wrong. Glad that Patrick was there to counter some of it atleast.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Austin's take on how people just didn't understand the NMS pitch is disappointing.
The problem with the gameplay(!) trailer was that it shows a lot of things that are impossible in the game. And it's not just superficial stuff like graphics, it's systems like animals interacting with eachother. Even during its launch they left that one up on their Steam page insead of correcting it with a newer one.
Murray's interviews contained straight up lies, not just vague misinterpretations. His whole defense was that people expected a different game because of their own fantasies or whatever, which is wrong. Glad that Patrick was there to counter some of it atleast.

Personally, I felt that he addressed that, though? He didn't mention the animals specifically but he talked about some other stuff and the trailers in general, and how it was wasn't there. His point was that stuff being there would not make the game better, at least not to the degree that those excited for it wanted. Rather, it wouldn't make it the game they wanted to play. Like... would animals interacting really solve everything else? That's just another little detail that happens when you're doing the rest of the game, and a lot of the trailer stuff is like that, unless I'm misremembering something huge. I should say I only ever played about 3 hours of the game (I was in Japan at the time and my attempt at remote playing just made me motion sick), so maybe my memory is off, but is there any big gameplay thing people can point to that is missing that would make the game more satisfying?

And while they definitely lied about some aspects and misrepresented others, people also absolutely built up a fantasy that was beyond what they said- or did stuff like interpreting "procedurally generated" as "everything that is generated will be interesting to see", which also came up in the episode. Especially because closer to release when press got their hands on it, the news coming out of that clarified some of the focus on resources/survival stuff and people still got hyped about this endless exciting space game they could explore forever?

I don't think people were wrong to buy into the trailers, or (to a degree) be angry that what they were sold wasn't what they got. But I also think there were indeed other details coming out (and we can totally question how much they were pushed relative to the trailers) that the people extremely excited for it ignored, or didn't consider the impact of.