• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just have to give my honest feelings about it but I felt there was a whole undercurrent in that podcast like they were looking down on people for being fooled by these deceptive trailers, that honestly made me understand a bit more how some could see them as condescending or up on their high horse.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Think I chose a good time to give the podcast another shot. This recent episode is a damn fine listen.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one of those people who says this about people, but Rob says "like" a lot. Soooo much. First time in my life it's been hard not to notice someone doing it :P

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
please mate it's patrick you gotta not notice it on because dude says like a lottttttt. you tune it out after about fifteen minutes tho

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yo, and I say this as a card-carrying member of the mech keyboard master race, whichever staffer it is that you can constantly hear typing things into Google as they record needs to either adjust the sensitivity of their mic or switch out their keyboard for a membrane one while podcasting because it's way too audible.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost certainly Austin.

But this is just the burden Waypoint Radio has to bear so FatT listeners can actively hear the animal Googling happen.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Keyboard noises are whatever, the only thing that really gets me is when a person's audio cuts out; it seems to happen a lot and it's a real bummer. I wish they had a more standardised set-up that avoided problems like that.

Now... the latest Tactical Tuesday (of XCOM 2) has been an amazing run. Not quite through the vid yet, but Austin and Rob are killing it where I'm at. At a few points I was expecting utter disaster to strike, but the RNG gods are apparently watching over their path. Such a great series.

Oct 25, 2017
Just have to give my honest feelings about it but I felt there was a whole undercurrent in that podcast like they were looking down on people for being fooled by these deceptive trailers, that honestly made me understand a bit more how some could see them as condescending or up on their high horse.
Yep. The idea that everyone just imagined a much better game is...questionable at best. People were asking from day 1 how they are going to fill this progen world with interesting things to do. But Hello Games chose to be vague about it, released deceptive trailers and interviews which gave a wrong impression of what the game might be. But not because fan's imagination went crazy (well, true for some obv) or they didn't know what procgen was (rolled my eyes at that one especially), but because they nurtured it on purpose.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention this but I was really surprised the other week to see Austin do an article on that crowbcat Far Cry video given that channel's use of racist memes in the past and cherry-picking footage of glitches, bugs etc to make games look a hell of a lot worse than they actually are. Sounds like he knew he made a mistake there though going by this podcast.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to mention this but I was really surprised the other week to see Austin do an article on that crowbcat Far Cry video given that channel's use of racist memes in the past and cherry-picking footage of glitches, bugs etc to make games look a hell of a lot worse than they actually are. Sounds like he knew he made a mistake there though going by this podcast.

Digging into that now (because I didn't know much about this dude either), it looks like some people discussed/brought attention to it on their forums the day the article was posted. Ausin replied later that night saying he genuinely hadn't known (since searching for him had mainly brought up discussion threads), and mentioned something on Twitter there. Checked there and it seems his tweet of the article got some confused but informative replies (and, unfortunately, people whining about the replies), and so that's how he learned what was up.

Apparently crowbcat even made a video whining about GB's VR opinions while Austin was still there, so I imagine if he'd known he wouldn't exactly have promoted it.

Though I think the podcast handled it well, not that I had the context to fully judge, since IIRC they did talk about it briefly and mention that they were only comfortable with those specific videos, hmm.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
confirmed: gamers love feet

THiXKgt.jpg

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
Though I think the podcast handled it well, not that I had the context to fully judge, since IIRC they did talk about it briefly and mention that they were only comfortable with those specific videos, hmm.
It's the video which featured the reveal of AC:O that most of us has a problem with, if you disregard the standard misrepresentation the channel does. If you're really curious you can check it out, or check out discussions on it (pre-ERA) .

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like their intro sound is a bit too loud

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's the video which featured the reveal of AC:O that most of us has a problem with, if you disregard the standard misrepresentation the channel does. If you're really curious you can check it out, or check out discussions on it (pre-ERA) .

Yeah, looked into it now and found the discussion of it. People did tell Austin about him using that meme in those replies, for what it's worth, I just didn't see anyone say the specific video.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So, hang with me here... but what if a battle royale game was 100% boat jazz?
cleaver_dodge.jpg

Maelstrom seeks to ask this question and it sounds real gud.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
I've never been one to watch Twitch or game playthroughs of any sort but have super been enjoying just throwing the Bloodborne streams (YT uploads, not live) on as background when working in the evenings. Definitely feels just like hanging out with friends and super relaxing while still being fun and exciting to see Natalie progress (have never played BB so my first time through too). Thought this was just a Me Thing and not worth mentioning, but tonight after dinner my wife was hanging out working too and I threw it on and she got super into it so I know it's special.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I've never been one to watch Twitch or game playthroughs of any sort but have super been enjoying just throwing the Bloodborne streams (YT uploads, not live) on as background when working in the evenings. Definitely feels just like hanging out with friends and super relaxing while still being fun and exciting to see Natalie progress (have never played BB so my first time through too). Thought this was just a Me Thing and not worth mentioning, but tonight after dinner my wife was hanging out working too and I threw it on and she got super into it so I know it's special.

Yeah, the Bloodborne streams are great, and I'm happy to hear that they'll be doing it twice a week now. Excited for Natalie getting excited for Dark Souls Remastered, too!

I do have to say that *pushes up glasses by the bridge like a total nerd* as a Bloodborne expert who has platinumed and beaten the game a billion times, I get irrationally annoyed a teensy bit when the couch crew says flat-out wrong info. Of course, I totally understand that Austin and Danielle wouldn't be able to remember every single thing from a game they last played 3 years ago. It also hasn't really screwed Natalie's playthrough, so there's nothing for me to be mad about. And hey, it lead to that schadenfreudetastic stream with Danika and Danielle reveling in Natalie's jumping obsession and failure!

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally had to unsubscribe from Waypoint radio after that embarrassing God of War segment. The argument that a lot of reviewers were somehow "wrong" for liking the game without really forming a compelling argument as to why (all in the presence of Patrick who reviewed and loved it) was peak condescending-echo-chamber-Waypoint. The tenacity at which Austin went on that rant makes me believe he hasn't gotten over his anger issues yet. I've had my fill, I'm done.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've listened to the GoW segement now and what I will say is I think Austin holds games to a nearly impossible standard.

It does wear thin that he goes for the jugular on a game that from all impressions actually is trying to deal with its own past in an interesting way. I thought he got the Far Cry 5 stuff mostly right but this feels like it is far more on the Red Strings Club end of the spectrum.

The veiled suggestion that a lack of diversity in reviewers was fueling the good reviews of GoW is what really struck me. I can't get behind that sort of dismissal of an entire industry because their views don't reflect your own or their skin doesn't match your own.

The others don't pull Austin up enough when he goes on these sorts of rants and it really exasperates it as some meaningful discussion may help temper his opinions and not over-reach with what at times can feel like regularity.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I think what was missing was sort of a framing question of "do you think Kratos is a character that should still feature in games?", and the impression I get is that Austin doesn't think that he should due to the history of those games, unless handled in a very radical way that he doesn't feel the actual game does

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, apart from Patrick's review, it seemed like there was barely any positive talk about the game on the segment, which is strange given the positivity of his review. Also, Austin did not do this rant with a game like Zelda, which was even more widely acclaimed than God of War. He was the glowing critic in that case. I am pretty sure that that game also had a similar problem with diversity of reviewers too.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think what was missing was sort of a framing question of "do you think Kratos is a character that should still feature in games?", and the impression I get is that Austin doesn't think that he should due to the history of those games, unless handled in a very radical way that he doesn't feel the actual game does

From someone who played the first GoW even I can tell the Kratos in GoW 2018 is an absolutely radical departure. Before now he was little more than a caricature.

Austin is trying to say it doesn't go far enough but I'd agrue that trying this at all is remarkable in a big budget game. He seems very quick to penalise games for trying to be something more and not fully matching his own idea of what that 'more' should' be.

I'll have to play it to say if it's successful but it certainly gives the impression of a much more nuanced take of the character.

Last edited:

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I had to relisten to part of the pod because I thought this was an actually decent conversation? And Austin does say they handle one part of Kratos well (the history of violence) and another part they didn't do as well (the misogyny)

idk, I think about Bioshock Infinite when it comes to highly reviewed games but on a second glance there are glaring problems. I loved the game but how it handled certain topics are rough. Not saying the new GoW is this but I feel like outside of the review cycle we'll be seeing more articles about what stuff got overlooked in the reviews.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest I can't stand Austin most of the time on Waypoint, I just roll my eyes when I listen to him half the time. Rob and Patrick are still very good even if they do say "like" every third word.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, I didn't understand why it was SSM obligation to address every short coming of Kratos in one game, especially when Cory was only director of one of the previous ones.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Also, Austin did not do this rant with a game like Zelda, which was even more widely acclaimed than God of War. He was the glowing critic in that case. I am pretty sure that that game also had a similar problem with diversity of reviewers too.

Yeah, I had this same thought while listening. The critical consensus for BotW was even more effusive than God of War. I can understand Austin's broader frustrations with the diversity of game reviewers, but singling out God of War felt a little weird. (And to his credit, Austin did seem to be aware that he was having trouble properly articulating this point.) I did roll my eyes a bit when Patrick gave his "this review was a moment in time, maybe I won't like this game soon" spiel since that seemed to 100% be a response to Austin's criticisms.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I had this same thought while listening. The critical consensus for BotW was even more effusive than God of War. I can understand Austin's broader frustrations with the diversity of game reviewers, but singling out God of War felt a little weird. (And to his credit, Austin did seem to be aware that he was having trouble properly articulating this point.) I did roll my eyes a bit when Patrick gave his "this review was a moment in time, maybe I won't like this game soon" spiel since that seemed to 100% be a response to Austin's criticisms.

Yeah, I just wish Patrick had the courage of his own convictions to match Austin's, who if nothing else makes sure to hammer his side of the issue home. Austin is a very intelligent guy but his personality has a tendency to dominate the direction of a discussion.

The rest of the staff are no slouches but honestly I think the trouble comes when they all arrive at a sort of stodgy middle ground when one person has a strong take. It feels like a podcast that's one step removed from being great in that sense. A bit more of an adversarial tone at times would probably be good for the end product.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I said this over in the GB thread, but it's actually very funny to me to see people react this way because the reason I even listened to the episode (I'm already kinda sick of hearing about God of War) was people praising its discussion of reviews elsewhere. And frankly, I ended up agreeing with them. And I hope (even if only because I put way more time into writing this than I thought and I don't want it dismissed out of regret for my time alone) addressing some stuff here doesn't come across as being the Waypoint Defense Force or like I think I'm better for following certain discussions happening elsewhere or something. It's just that there are some things here that I think are missing context, or misreading tone, or just mishearing things, but there also things being said that make me just feel like I literally listened to a different podcast than some of you.

the time thing is also why I'm not replying to the Zelda stuff specifically, because this took way more time to think about/type than I thought it would as is, as I wrote way more than I intended to, and I missed that point till I reloaded the page just now, apologies

Finally had to unsubscribe from Waypoint radio after that embarrassing God of War segment. The argument that a lot of reviewers were somehow "wrong" for liking the game without really forming a compelling argument as to why (all in the presence of Patrick who reviewed and loved it) was peak condescending-echo-chamber-Waypoint. The tenacity at which Austin went on that rant makes me believe he hasn't gotten over his anger issues yet. I've had my fill, I'm done.

Serious question: at what point did Austin go on a "rant"? He was frustrated at times, sure, but I can't point to a moment that I read as being even close to anger. And then rather than being intense or tenacious, at the end he was hesitant to say more such that Patrick was the one driving the discussion. And he literally said, at length, at the point before Patrick starts pushing the issues with other reviews himself, that no one was wrong for liking or reviewing the game well besides? Like he literally said the following, not with any anger but with hesitation or even confusion while trying to work out his thoughts:

"I don't know, I don't know. I'm very… So that's like… If I can leave on one thing, and we can take a break, that's um… It's I'm still lingering with that question… of… kind of… the response to this being so overwhelmingly positive. I'm not, so, so to be clear, I'm not taking anything away from any reviewer who loved this game. I'm not saying that they are wrong for loving this game, at all. Like I genuinely understand why someone would love this game and why they would score it a 10, or say that it's like, whatever…. You know like we, I edited your, your, review Patrick. I obviously hadn't beaten the game yet… [Patrick/Danielle joke] Even though I had a different experience with it than you, I wouldn't say that it's not an honest response. But I do think that it's, it's a problem, for the industry, to, to have reviewers who unilaterally responded to something that I don't think… I don't know, maybe, maybe it's not a prob- I don't know. I'm struggling with this, because… I think it has so many…."

And then Patrick takes it from there. That wasn't anger, at all; that's just not what his tone was. In my opinion, to say his line of thought throughout the episode was due to anger issues is not only kinda legitimately insulting and dismissive, but also very confusing, personally. At no point did I feel like he was angry, or that he and Patrick were butting heads.

I've listened to the GoW segement now and what I will say is I think Austin holds games to a nearly impossible standard.

It does wear thin that he goes for the jugular on a game that from all impressions actually is trying to deal with its own past in an interesting way. I thought he got the Far Cry 5 stuff mostly right but this feels like it is far more on the Red Strings Club end of the spectrum.

The veiled suggestion that a lack of diversity in reviewers was fueling the good reviews of GoW is what really struck me. I can't get behind that sort of dismissal of an entire industry because their views don't reflect your own or their skin doesn't match your own.

The others don't pull Austin up enough when he goes on these sorts of rants and it really exasperates it as some meaningful discussion may help temper his opinions and not over-reach with what at times can feel like regularity.
From someone who played the first GoW even I can tell the Kratos in GoW 2018 is an absolutely radical departure. Before now he was little more than a caricature.

Austin is trying to say it doesn't go far enough but I'd agrue that trying this at all is remarkable in a big budget game. He seems very quick to penalise games for trying to be something more and not fully matching his own idea of what that 'more' should' be.

I'll have to play it to say if it's successful but it certainly gives the impression of a much more nuanced take of the character.

As someone who does not find the other GoW games very appealing, I'll totally admit that this new one looks actually somewhat interesting- it's something I can see myself playing closer to GOTY season, when it's on sale, and games I really care about and want to play ASAP aren't constantly coming out.

But I also don't think it's an impossible standard to expect more than what it seems to be. Patrick brings this up in his review, but the "dadification" of games has been a thing for a loooong while now. Mattie Brice's piece that he quotes is about The Last of Us and BioShock Infinite; it has been 5 entire years since those games came out. A sad tale of bitter/angry single fatherhood is not new. It's literally not remarkable; we've been down this road before, fairly often even, in AAA games. That's not to reduce this game just to that; I'm sure it tells that story well enough, and with a lot of craft to it going by the little details they mention in this podcast alone - that's why I'm even interested. But I think it's fair to judge such a big budget game for not aiming beyond that at this point; in relistening to quote for this post, they get at this with their discussion of "prestige for games" (though it ends a little abruptly). And specifically, it's hardly unfair at all to say "if you're going to seriously take the steps to reckon with the series historically focusing on needless violence, why can't you also reckon with how badly it treated women?" I feel like that's not this extra step that it's being unfairly penalized for missing, that's something that should have been part of the game's concept from the start. It shows a selective ignorance in what they saw the need to account for in their reinvention of the series and its lead. And the podcast accounts for the fact that, obviously, money also enters in this because of course it's harder to sell both to your bosses and your audience that this game should star Kratos's kid instead of him, so Kratos is the star even if that makes its points less effective or unique, but that doesn't mean you can't do something to address all that.

And thing about the lack of diversity in reviews is… that's literally a thing, though? On a very simple level, as they discuss and Patrick's review discusses, we're indeed talking about a game about fatherhood made by fathers (or to be more accurate, made up by a likely fairly diverse team with fathers in lead/senior positions), and that's not nothing. That's where that selective ignorance I mentioned comes from. And that extends to the reviewers for large sites, who are obviously not entirely older white cishet men, but you can't say that's not the majority. And sure, more people who don't fit that reviewing the game wouldn't necessarily talk about those pacing issues that Austin is a little confused about only him feeling (even ignoring their discussion of how the review process always being a slog can affect that). But more diversity could easily lead to better discussions of things like its handling of women- that piece by Mattie Brice (who is herself a trans woman of color) doesn't just discuss the "dadification" of The Last of Us but also how how it uses rape imagery, for example. And, frankly, it would even also easily lead to more interesting discussions of how the game handles fatherhood - not only is that going to differ culturally, but how society perceives you and your father (or you and your child) is also going to differ, and there's a lot to dig into there. And that's just what I've come up with offhand.

That being said, that was all a bit of a tangent, because the important context that I feel is being missed beyond that is that those young diverse critics exist. They're out there, hustling. I had been wondering how well this context would be handled on the podcast beforehand, since I thought it might be a connection that's not clear to the casual listener, but Austin actually very specifically brings up that they (the podcast hosts) are vaguely in a community/circle of younger, up and coming critics. These people who are their peers but some who also freelance for them or are just friends as well, many of whom are not white cishet men, and as Austin says early on there are definitely people in that group who have been critical of how the game has been reviewed. Not just that it's been reviewed well, but also what the writing about it has been like; these comments exist, and I've seen at least some of them personally just due to following such critics on Twitter. He also brings this group of people up again much later on as well, discussing a review being mocked a bit for how it discussed the axe coming back to them and how he actually thought that was a good point to include, etc. Similarly he talks about how he edits reviews, and teasing out details the writer clearly cares about that could stand to be more of a focus even if it means cutting some things that every other review is going to include anyway, which lines up with some of that criticism. Anything he's saying is in the context of these critics existing and making these similar arguments about the reviews, and he frames it as such. (As a sidenote - Danielle also sorta gets at this context, because the Polygon "sexism sidebar" that somehow does not impact the actual review has been infamous for years among some critics. Also, in typing this I did not think through that I was writing a sidenote about sidebars, but hey, I'm keeping it.)

Now, you can totally argue that these people and what specifically they've been saying could have been more clear - whether that was not wanting to put them under a microscope they didn't ask for, just not wanting to try to say who said what offhand, or some other purposeful decision I do not have the answer to - but they are out there. In fact some of these people are freelancers who crowdfunded paying for copies of the game so they could write about it. I didn't know about this part until when I went to grab the link as part of providing context in general, but you can see that Austin gave a sizable donation to it. He was not talking about this theoretically; those critics exist and are out there freelancing and could not afford to write about this game without support. So hopefully we will very soon have a decent bit more writing about the game - I've seen people I follow who got copies as a result of this preloading it tonight - that comes from a more diverse crowd of critics with things to say.

Just to address this last bit quickly- I can't argue that that thing specifically wasn't a little bit of a capitulation, but Patrick did mention from the early in the podcast (about 10 minutes in) that part of the problem with writing for reviews for him is that he knows his final thoughts are definitely going to be impacted by others criticizing the game in ways he didn't expect. And he does give an example of a moment that Austin's alluding to that he would likely discuss with him and come away thinking much more critically of. So definitely a response, but not really out of line with what he was establishing about how he approaches games earlier in the podcast.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm with deepflaw on this one, and I hardly expect austin to have completely crystalised his take on it and the critical reaction before the game is even out. I don't think austin necessarily articulated his position super well, but nor did i think he was being reactionary for reactionary's sake or anything along those lines. It sounded to me like there was still something of a work in progress on his thoughts there.

I was interested that he namedropped The Guardian though when he was listing off critics - pretty sure that was a Keza MacDonald joint who would have come it from a mom perspective (disclosure: i work for the Guardian)

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yo Jintor. Comment is free.. but facts are sacred ;)

deepFlaw, I'll get a response to you later when I have enough time to properly order my thoughts but know that even if we don't agree I have total respect for your opinion and where you're coming from.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yo Jintor.. comment is free.. but facts are sacred ;)

deepFlaw, I'll get a response to you later when I have enough time to properly order my thoughts butvknow that even if we don't agree I have the upmost respect for your opinion and where you're coming from.

Totally understandable; I wrote waaaay more than I meant to and that's gotta be a hassle to read, so feel free to take your time if you wanna respond.

and also, just to be clear: same on respecting your opinion and where you're coming from, which I hope was clear

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I'm checking out Waypoint ever since the period when their video content was almost nothing but PUBG, and I feel like their main site is missing a lot of stuff. I checked out their Youtube page and was surprised to see tons and tons of video that I'm not finding easily on their homepage for some reason.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I'm checking out Waypoint ever since the period when their video content was almost nothing but PUBG, and I feel like their main site is missing a lot of stuff. I checked out their Youtube page and was surprised to see tons and tons of video that I'm not finding easily on their homepage for some reason.
Yeaah... WP's layout has always been a mess to me. It highlights articles and old videos, and buries everything else, in a very confusing way. Their Twitch account is the best place for videos IMO, but their YouTube account also has them. It's super confusing going between them because the videos all have different names, upload dates, and in some cases, runtimes.

That said, Tactical Tuesdays and the A Way Out streams are must-watch. There's lots of other good vids too, though.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
That said, Tactical Tuesdays and the A Way Out streams are must-watch. There's lots of other good vids too, though.
Those include the XCOM 2 videos, right? I've been meaning to check those out. Didn't know they played A Way Out, either, so that will be fun.

Also, I definitely thought they gave up on Permadeath because the playlist on their site only lists 5-6 videos. Then I find out there are at least 5 more on Youtube!?

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Great post deepFlaw, and I totally agree that it didn't come across as a bitter rant. And obviously, the homogenous nature of current game reviewers is a big problem. Many sites do have diverse writers and staff on their team (polygon, kotaku, waypoint etc) but they all still chose to have a white dad review their game. Hopefully outlets become more courageous about giving these big games to those folks for coverage.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard the pod yet myself, but I feel like every time someone has a hot take on something that was said on the pod, it's more of a burning-up-at-the-runway take. (Except the Red Strings one.)

Like... Austin "Anger Issues" Walker? Pilgore ...what? It's like I slipped into someone's alternate dimension, sometimes.
Those include the XCOM 2 videos, right? I've been meaning to check those out. Didn't know they played A Way Out, either, so that will be fun.

Also, I definitely thought they gave up on Permadeath because the playlist on their site only lists 5-6 videos. Then I find out there are at least 5 more on Youtube!?
XCOM 2 and Stellaris are Tactical Tuesdays!

But yeah, they really don't surface streams well. Maybe if you follow Twitter (I don't) you get a heads up, but I don't think I've ever known when streams actually happen (aside from ones where it's in the name). Like, I don't know if there are any proper playlists on either site, or the Waypoint site itself, and there's no "upcoming" or anything, so it's all just very confusing.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Austin might not have been calling for "greater review diversity" when Breath of the Wild was getting acclaim, but I also can't see him bristling if there had been more negative responses to that game (and Waypoint even ran some pieces on people who took issue with it, much like they take issue with God of War's lack of reckoning with misogyny, or women in general)

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I mentioned this in that really weird and fanatical review thread, but you can't just bring Kratos and the God of War name without the baggage of the previous games. So it absolutely should be addressed. You don't get to piggyback on the good without having to address the bad.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened, but did they go into why Patrick reviewed it if Austin wanted more diverse reviews?

Going by what was said on the podcast, I assume it was because he's the one person on staff who actually played all the earlier ones? It's a fair point, though.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I mentioned this in that really weird and fanatical review thread, but you can't just bring Kratos and the God of War name without the baggage of the previous games. So it absolutely should be addressed. You don't get to piggyback on the good without having to address the bad.
I haven't played it, but doesn't sound like they are piggy backing on the good at all. Seems like they are going with a totally clean slate.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a little off topic, but a small point I appreciated in the episode that got kinda buried in all this was Austin talking about how rough the old games were when you look back at them, particularly their writing. Again gonna admit I never played them at the time, but someone I follow on Twitter posted a video of some ridiculous "make topless women lustfully stroke each other and pose for Kratos" minigame from 3, and she pointed out that the game was getting 10s in the same year Nier came out and got panned and... yeah, I know Nier has its many faults, but yeah.

Austin might not have been calling for "greater review diversity" when Breath of the Wild was getting acclaim, but I also can't see him bristling if there had been more negative responses to that game (and Waypoint even ran some pieces on people who took issue with it, much like they take issue with God of War's lack of reckoning with misogyny, or women in general)

Yeah, I think the key things here are 1. the issue is reasonably more noticeable when you're feeling it yourself, and 2. I obviously can't say for certain but I don't think the same kind of talk about its reviews happened then, particularly given that it was not a "dad game". It's not hypocrisy, he just was not feeling the disconnect himself for that, and it was not necessarily commonly held by others such that he could see it either.

And similarly I also very much doubt he would have complained about well written negative reviews or more diverse critics writing about it in general, which is the important part, and they did run those pieces as you said.

I haven't played it, but doesn't sound like they are piggy backing on the good at all. Seems like they are going with a totally clean slate.

Well, I'd include "has the title God of War" and "you play as Kratos" as "good" things they're piggybacking on like Sunflower mentioned. It's the same Kratos (going by what people playing it have said) so it's not that much of a clean slate even with the very different tone/direction.

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, not really cool with reducing this whole episode to "Austin wanted more diverse GoW reviews". He didn't say that out loud and there was more to the argument. Hope he can put it in text soon, because this feels misguided.

It feels like their own site is not the focus. They put their time into streams on Twitch that later end up on youtube, that is the priority when it comes to video, I guess. Or maybe there are legal hurdles involved, Austin mentioned that in the past.
If you click on "Watch" on their homepage, you get a video from their 72 hour launch stream. Like...that's crazy, might as well just remove that button.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, just noticed something- has there been a review from a non-staff member before Yakuza 6? I hope it gets an Article Read episode; I'd love to hear what a discussion between Janine and Rob is like.

Also, looks like today's radio episode is about "hype" so it might continue some of the discussion from Monday even though Austin's away, hmm.

Hm, not really cool with reducing this whole episode to "Austin wanted more diverse GoW reviews". He didn't say that out loud and there was more to the argument. Hope he can put it in text soon, because this feels misguided.

It feels like their own site is not the focus. They put their time into streams on Twitch that later end up on youtube, that is the priority when it comes to video, I guess. Or maybe there are legal hurdles involved, Austin mentioned that in the past.
If you click on "Watch" on their homepage, you get a video from their 72 hour launch stream. Like...that's crazy, might as well just remove that button.

I feel like this stuff has to be due to how Vice handles all their verticals uniformly (looking at a few others seems to confirm they all have the same layout with "Read" and "Watch" working like that), and it's really, really unfortunate. They still don't seem to quite get the things Waypoint has to do as part of being in the same space as other games websites, and that's not a "has to do" in the sense of needing to keep up with them but also just how things work for covering games. The videos being hard to get to is probably partially the legal stuff (specifically Vice's lawyers not really understanding how people stream/record games), yeah, but also that clicking "Watch" has to go to their Vice video page and not just YouTube to make up for not having their videos on the site itself. I hope at some point they can get this dealt with because I can't imagine they're happy with how things are currently.

EDIT: Oh, huh, they're doing a big stream today through tomorrow?

Will try to catch some of it; I've still unfortunately watched very little of their past 2 big streams but both were very fun.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
GSC still knows when to go for it, huh.

Always admired how much goofy shit for fans they've been able to do for props and such like that.

EDIT:

73e0d4ff082a31696e5e52e2d5b5f60d.jpg

extremely good face