• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a games conference without a bit of dissonance in tone! Remember the crowd cheering for Joel point blank shot gunning a man in the head at E3 a few years back?
Yeah, I feel like violence in these trailers is the new norm, I don't see the big deal with it. :shrug:

I've never played the first one (want to), but that was... weird.

If you do play it, don't be afraid to switch it to Easy. That's what I ended up doing and I ended up liking it a lot more.

Last edited:

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I feel like violence in these trailers is the new norm, I don't see the big deal with it. :shrug:

I don't have an issue with the violence, but the dissonance between the positive message of being the greatest time to play games and basically torture is a little unsettling. I haven't heard the podcast yet but I think the Waypoint crew might put it better than I can.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
I don't have an issue with the violence, but the dissonance between the positive message of being the greatest time to play games and basically torture is a little unsettling. I haven't heard the podcast yet but I think the Waypoint crew might put it better than I can.
I'd also add that, for a series that's praised for having verisimilitude relative to other action games, the violence in this scene doesn't feel true to me at all. The woman gets her arm broken in a shocking, horrific way, and then thirty seconds later she's waving the hammer around like a ninja and strikes it in the attacker's neck with cold precision. It feels like it's trying way too hard to me.

Oct 24, 2017
I'm about to listen to Waypoint Radio. Curious to hear what they'll say considering the Last of Us trailer reactions were the one thing I've had to disagree with them on as of late.

Milijango

Oct 27, 2017
Great reads on the Detroit and TLOU2 trailers on the latest podcast. I was never sold on David Cage at the best of times (though the Mayan Alien business in Indigo Prophecy is a ride if you haven't seen those cutscenes), but I'm surprised at how offputting all of the marketing thus far has been. I adore TLOU and have been against the idea of a sequel from the beginning. The sequel reveal didn't do anything for me, and Druckmann's "TLOU was about love, this story is about hate" quote came across very poorly and was only compounded by the trailer we just saw. Then on a more trivial level I'm just done with 3rd person stealth/action/survival as a genre, and the allusions this trailer makes towards the villains just being some crazy cult feels like further disservice.

On a brighter note, look at all these Asian characters in video games! I guess it's a given for Ghost of Tsushima's setting but it's still a pleasant surprise to see us in triple A western development. Elbows notwithstanding.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The sequel reveal didn't do anything for me, and Druckmann's "TLOU was about love, this story is about hate" quote came across very poorly and was only compounded by the trailer we just saw.
"Examining hate" in fundamentally violent games is always going to be devilishly tricky to pull off (insert comment about Wolfenstein managing it so far)

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue when it's in a game. It's jarring and feels like they're only selling the game short by making the mainstream appeal of it be shock and only shock. I think to rely on it for marketing purposes is exploitative rather than telling me anything about the game.

The Waypoint crew had some good takes on the show about it.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have an issue when it's in a game. It's jarring and feels like they're only selling the game short by making the mainstream appeal of it be shock and only shock. I think to rely on it for marketing purposes is exploitative rather than telling me anything about the game.

The Waypoint crew had some good takes on the show about it.

Listened to the podcast and I didn't agree. I don't think it's even shock value. It's more of Hey, Last of Us is a horror game set in a brutal world, and these people are fanatics. This is what that looks like.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Last of Us was strong and noteworthy because it was way more than just a horror story about brutality. I disagree that they need to sell the game on hammering people's arms, but that's just me.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Last of Us was strong and noteworthy because it was way more than just a horror story about brutality. I disagree that they need to sell the game on hammering people's arms, but that's just me.

I guess I don't see this as "selling the game." Last of us is a known quantity at this point. I view it more as something for the fans to get them speculating.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite roll my eyes at some of Waypoint's... incredibly socially conscious reactions to things, but I do tend to shrug them off. Not a fan of comparing the trailer to the "real life context" of the sexual harassment allegations, particularly when it was a man, anyway. But to not question Ghost of Tsushima like people already have on Resetera for "cultural imperialism" does make me question how they can still seem to ignore x injustice but be very mad about y. (Edit: also forgot about their extreme negative reactions to Detroit, with general mood tending to be "how can you NOT 'haves something to say' when making a game, if there's nothing to say what's the point" which makes me just go Nintendo though??????????????? They kind of discussed the "Mexico Town" in Mario quickly but were like ah whatever it's fine they're just doing it from excitement and love, no malice).

Love ya tho.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Great podcast this week, hard to believe it's been a year since Waypoint launched! I should go back and rewatch some of those 72 hour stream highlights, I wish they could do something like that again.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't see this as "selling the game." Last of us is a known quantity at this point. I view it more as something for the fans to get them speculating.
To me that is the definition of selling a game. Especially when it's a franchise.

I'm not saying others shouldn't enjoy it if they liked what they saw. But I was pretty unimpressed with that showing.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
To me that is the definition of selling a game. Especially when it's a franchise.

I'm not saying others shouldn't enjoy it if they liked what they saw. But I was pretty unimpressed with that showing.

I didn't enjoy it, It just didn't bother me. (I am someone who enjoyed the story of Last of Us but hated the gameplay). To me it felt in line with the tone and world of Last of Us.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite roll my eyes at some of Waypoint's... incredibly socially conscious reactions to things, but I do tend to shrug them off. Not a fan of comparing the trailer to the "real life context" of the sexual harassment allegations, particularly when it was a man, anyway. But to not question Ghost of Tsushima like people already have on Resetera for "cultural imperialism" does make me question how they can still seem to ignore x injustice but be very mad about y. (Edit: also forgot about their extreme negative reactions to Detroit, with general mood tending to be "how can you NOT 'haves something to say' when making a game, if there's nothing to say what's the point" which makes me just go Nintendo though??????????????? They kind of discussed the "Mexico Town" in Mario quickly but were like ah whatever it's fine they're just doing it from excitement and love, no malice).

Love ya tho.

tbh i think they just didn't notice it. Hell I'm asian and I barely noticed it. Western studios make games about ninjas and shit all the time, it's not as if they've got a lock on the cultural depiction. It's really down to how it's actually depicted.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Love ya tho.
You're kind of all over the place here. They can't talk about these things because they don't talk about every single thing? They make judgment calls on which topics they think are most worthy of coverage and talk about them. That's what everyone in their position does. As for the Nintendo point, it's not "don't make games if you have nothing to say", it's "if you make games dealing with incredibly heavy subjects you better have something to say about them". And they DID address the Mario appropriation stuff, but it doesn't really stack up in gravity to the other issues they talk about, so idk what else you want them to say about it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the 2049 spoilercast and man it really seems to share quite a number of themes with automata.

admartian

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like everything not in Waypoint's taste is "tone-deaf" or "mis-stepping" or whatever else adjective that denotes individuals or groups as being "wrong" or "just not getting it".

Some cool people but with real holier than though standards. Love it when they're not painting gamers/devs/game companies as the worst of the earth (hyperbole). :\

I have a real problem with this bar-setting, near-gatekeeping attitude that a lot of games media have these days with social commentary in games which is: "If a game is not saying [X] and/or if it's doing [Y] then it's [exploitation/abusive/misstepping/tonedeaf/racist/misogynist/appropriation/evil/etc etc etc]".

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy that Bladerunner spoilercast is long. Not sure if it's gonna be worth it for me to listen to it all.

I love the film though (more than the Originals) and am starved for analytical content about it so I guess I'll take the plunge.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely get that their thematic read is valid but there's a very literal aspect to something that they've not addressed like three times now and its bugging me.

The Replicants don't value live birth because it makes them "human", although the film might be using them in that way. They value it because if they no longer need expensive industrial machines to be created they actually could live an independent existence, they could steal a spaceship and go found a colony and have a stable population. Reproduction outside of the corporate machine is literally the thing they need to ever live on their own. The Waypoint crew keep talking about the symbolic value the replicants find in live birth but I think the film is entirely where the symbolism lies, I read the replicants interest as almost purely practical

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like everything not in Waypoint's taste is "tone-deaf" or "mis-stepping" or whatever else adjective that denotes individuals or groups as being "wrong" or "just not getting it".

Some cool people but with real holier than though standards. Love it when they're not painting gamers/devs/game companies as the worst of the earth (hyperbole). :\

I have a real problem with this bar-setting, near-gatekeeping attitude that a lot of games media have these days with social commentary in games which is: "If a game is not saying [X] and/or if it's doing [Y] then it's [exploitation/abusive/misstepping/tonedeaf/racist/misogynist/appropriation/evil/etc etc etc]".

my dude we all live in sin

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: also forgot about their extreme negative reactions to Detroit, with general mood tending to be "how can you NOT 'haves something to say' when making a game, if there's nothing to say what's the point" which makes me just go Nintendo though???????????????

Specifically regarding Detroit, I believe the reason that they are arguing against David Cage saying that he has nothing political to say because it's a game about robots that are clearly coded as being slaves, going so far as to open their E3 (I think) presentation with a black robot singing spirituals.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i'll be frank, there's a lot of shit out there that is tone deaf and kinda mildly not intending to be but still offensive tbh and there's a bajillion outlets out there that don't bother calling it out, so I appreciate that Waypoint exists to do so.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Mario is not overtly about slavery though. If you want to make a game that has nothing to say, then maybe not make a game that touches on something as heavy as slavery.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017

Love ya tho.

Because David cage is using the civil rights movement as an analogy but that somehow isn't political according to him.

Also he has a track record for teeeeerrible writing.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin and Patrick weren't messing around, this Assassin's Creed game really does feel like I just skipped a major cutscene in the beginning.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It looks like you're just complaining that they're talking about these things and being critical of them and not just hedging or sitting on the fence. They have opinions about things. They're never saying "this is the worst of the earth". You say it's hyperbole so why even bring it up? It sounds like you just don't want to hear this kind of discussion at all because it's usually pretty mild. They have strong stances, but by no means are they all scorched earth about it.

admartian

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like you're just complaining that they're talking about these things and being critical of them and not just hedging or sitting on the fence. They have opinions about things. They're never saying "this is the worst of the earth". You say it's hyperbole so why even bring it up? It sounds like you just don't want to hear this kind of discussion at all because it's usually pretty mild. They have strong stances, but by no means are they all scorched earth about it.
But they kinda do make out people are racist or sexist if others say or tackle issues in a way that is displeasing to them or that they don't 'trust'. I don't see anyhting worng with "sitting on the fence". It is the way they determine what fnece sitting is etc that is problematic.

It's brought because like them, anyone is allowed to bring anything up!

Dunno, if oyu agree with that sorta thing then I guess that's why one would be perturbed that people like me are annoyed. Not here to change your mind, just posting my thoughts on the matter like anyone else. :)

Peace!

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city

It kind of sounds like objecting to the concept of criticism in general.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps it's because people are very often unconsciously racist or sexist

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they kinda do make out people are racist or sexist if others say or tackle issues in a way that is displeasing to them or that they don't 'trust'. I don't see anyhting worng with "sitting on the fence". It is the way they determine what fnece sitting is etc that is problematic.

It's brought because like them, anyone is allowed to bring anything up!

Dunno, if oyu agree with that sorta thing then I guess that's why one would be perturbed that people like me are annoyed. Not here to change your mind, just posting my thoughts on the matter like anyone else. :)

Peace!
What thoughts are those? You're just complaining that they have things to say about art. Be specific. What are they saying that's "problematic"? Also you're bringing something up that doesn't happen, you admit it's hyperbole, and then you go "I can bring anything up!" But you're bringing up something you made up. That's a strawman. You're tilting at windmills my dude. If criticism of art makes you uncomfortable, you should just not listen to any of it.

goblin

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the podcast on Blade Runner from Waypoint, and I came out of that movie both in love with it and saddled by the disappointed feeling that Austin spoke about re: representation of minorities, particularly Asians. I was hopeful after seeing Benedict Wong in the Wallace short that 2049 would do better than the original, but alas. I did find it amusing to see how much hangul had supplanted kanji and hanzi because I guess hallyu happened in the universe of Blade Runner?

I also had the good fortune of rewatching Blade Runner 2049 on a real IMAX screen right before the spoilercast and everything Rob says about it being a great format for the film is correct. But also he's totally right about the audio, and it cannot be emphasized enough just how loud the audio mix is, with some of the bass-heavy music feeling like an actual earthquake in the theater.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Blade Runner spoilercast. I could relate to the Blade Runner vs Blank Panther discussion so much. As a black man, I did feel a bit conflicted towards the end of the movie. I could relate to the struggle of the replicants, but at the same time it was somewhat disheartening that there was virtually no minority representation in this movie.(there were a couple but they were shown very briefly) My gf didn't even remember that Wood Harris was in it by the end of the movie lol. Overall, it wasn't that big a deal to me and I still loved it, but that definitely crossed my mind. I love the questions that Blade Runner asks and it's more my type of movie than Black Panther, but I'm also excited for BP because we rarely get black superhero films. Yeah it might end up being standard Marvel formula, but still cool to see.

Last edited: