• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a problem with warning for discussion of genitalia in general? I understand why it seems comedic, but I don't think someone who finds the discussion of it in general upsetting is gonna feel that distinction. And that has nothing to do with being an adult or not.

It's realllly not very "out there" in terms of things you would content warn for.

On a mature podcast there is absolutely no earthly reason to have a content warning for the mention of genitalia. Particularly on one that regularly goes there like Waypoint. It's the sort of thing that should be in the show listing page if anywhere.

I don't like using the word, but if someone really is that precious that they need a warning for the mention of horse balls, they shouldn't be listening to any of this podcast to begin with.

It was unintended comedy, and a good example of how Waypoint's best intentions can lead to some of its worst inclinations.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no point in the warning. Because the "discussion" is an acknowledgement that horse balls exist. Which the warning also acknowledges.

It's just a pointless exercise.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
On a mature podcast there is absolutely no earthly reason to have a content warning for the mention of genitalia. Particularly on one that regularly goes there like Waypoint. It's the sort of thing that should be in the show listing page if anywhere.

I don't like using the word, but if someone really is that precious that they need a warning for the mention of horse balls, they shouldn't be listening to any of this podcast to begin with.

It was unintended comedy, and a good example of how Waypoint's best intentions can lead to some of its worst inclinations.

I really don't think wanting to avoid hearing discussion of this makes someone "precious" nor is it a matter of being "mature". Even if you find it comedic given the specific circumstances it's coming up in here, sure, I don't understand why you're framing it as some extremely laughable thing overall.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super into what waypoint do, and I'm glad they're thoughtful re: content warnings (we could all stand to be more thoughtful!). To help me understand so that I can be more sensitive in the future, who might be triggered by horse ball discussion? Is it just a general genitalia thing, or is it the animal angle?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super into what waypoint do, and I'm glad they're thoughtful re: content warnings (we could all stand to be more thoughtful!). To help me understand so that I can be more sensitive in the future, who might be triggered by horse ball discussion? Is it just a general genitalia thing, or is it the animal angle?

I would assume it's more the general genitalia thing, given its wording and prior warnings.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I understand the monday podcast episode is out. However i can't find it on the website.

Is there no way other than subscribing to their feed to get it?

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to know if there was a single person going "yeah, I have to skip this one" or if it's them just being ridiculous. Because it looks ridiculous.
Patrick opened last week's podcasts with, and I quote, "Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick."

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, getting upset at content warnings is about on the scale of getting upset at horse dicks to me.

Like, even if they are silly, i can just ignore them.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to know if there was a single person going "yeah, I have to skip this one" or if it's them just being ridiculous. Because it looks ridiculous.
Patrick opened last week's podcasts with, and I quote, "Dick, dick, dick, dick, dick."

There's a vague one in the description for Friday's; was there not an audio one?

Because if not, there totally could have been someone who asked them about doing it going forward, yes.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice that Waypoint (probably enforced by Vice proper) want people to vote, but their new redirect when entering their site doesn't acknowledge their international audience. It's a bad look when "I'm already registered. Take me to the site." is the only thing I can click to enter their site.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I actually like the new Waypoints podcast, except that Natalie has like zero energy and brings the whole thing down. I could listen to the others talk about almost anything. I would love more historical perspectives from Rob.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually like the new Waypoints podcast, except that Natalie has like zero energy and brings the whole thing down. I could listen to the others talk about almost anything. I would love more historical perspectives from Rob.

I appreciate them giving her a seat because her perspective is valuable. But a lot of the time what ends up coming out is "Ummm.... I dunno...." and then trails off, or stumbles her words without really saying anything? Could just be some sheepishness about discussing topics on the internet so I imagine she'll get more confident over time.

Oct 25, 2017
I like Natalie. She's not a writer first, right? She isn't going to be as articulate as Rob and Austin, sure, but I like having another perspective all the same.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
sure she ends on a 'i'm not sure' note a lot but so do the others! they just end with conviction

Oct 25, 2017

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I feel like Natalie's still kinda finding her "podcast voice", I'm really happy she's been on more
and I love the Waypoints pod, I listen to a lot of podcasts so I don't really have the problem of having too much, the more the better for me lol
people in the FatT Discord's podcast channel just always call that one "the old man piss ad" and it's apt as hell
it tastes so good

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Natalie's just a little too aware of trying to not feck up, I think. It's understandable - I'm sure her confidence and delivery will improve with time. She seems cool.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Natalie's still getting used to this kind of thing so it's only a matter of time; I've already been enjoying what she's brought to the podcasts I've listened to, though.

Natalie's just a little too aware of trying to not feck up, I think. It's understandable - I'm sure her confidence and delivery will improve with time. She seems cool.
It was telling when she talked about the PS classic and how she still preorder it despite those games could had been emulated on the PS4. Still we wouldn't have that funny reaction from Patrick.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick thinking his tendencies with the messanger were somehow common sense when the most basic thing about opinions is that they differ wildey among the ocean of people is like the definition of living in a bubble. You shouldn't be surprised that some people prefer the first part of that game and yet he makes such a stupid assumption about his tastes being the norm. The crew could need a Dan Ryckert to shake things up and bring them down to reality to the spectrum of what people can possibly like.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ducked out on Friends at the Table's Twilight Mirage arc, but I picked up their Postmortem ep today because those are usually interesting.

Austin basically monologues about redemption & reconciliation for a while starting around the 2-hour mark. He specifically frames it around a Waypoint ep on a similar subject that he wasn't part of (they talked a lot about the Bloody Baron quest there). It's an interesting listen if you wanna hear Austin dig in to his politics (on a person-to-person scale, not a societal scale) and his complicated relationship with his dad. I don't think I've ever heard him directly address his childhood like he did here.

https://overcast.fm/+JtGvT4F6I

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose it might sound pendatic but I was always under the impression GB listened to Waypoint (Vinny and Jeff B regularly mention things they say on Waypoint Radio) and Waypoint listened to GB.
Also I got the distinct impression that West didn't, since even this time I think it was Mike Mahardy that brought up Rob's take on Odyssey.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I think Jeff at the very least keeps up with what waypoint is doing since he keeps in contact with Austin and Patrick (ie. the bit at PAX between the three of them in regards to the quiet man)

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Just FYI Austin and Rob (with Heather Alexandra) are talking about Valkyria Chronicles 4 in the latest Three Moves Ahead.

Edit: this feels more like a Waypoint Radio than Three Moves Ahead lol.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI Austin and Rob (with Heather Alexandra) are talking about Valkyria Chronicles 4 in the latest Three Moves Ahead.

Edit: this feels more like a Waypoint Radio than Three Moves Ahead lol.
This is of interest to me. Time to finally listen to one of 'em...

Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Three Moves Ahead is Rob Zacny in his element and he's a fantastic podcast host and y'all should be listening already

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Three Moves Ahead is Rob Zacny in his element and he's a fantastic podcast host and y'all should be listening already
I think I just don't give enough of a shit about tabletop gaming, so I'd be deleting half the episodes anyway. Otherwise I'd have been all over it years ago.

...Unless there's some value to glean from yet another conversation about a WW1/WW2 board game.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I think the conversations on it are pretty good but it usually needs to have a combination of Rob, Austin, and/or a game I'm actually interested in