• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I'm catching up on the podcasts and the Ron hate is validating.

Yup. The canonical pairings at the end of the series were baffling to me at the time and they remain baffling years later.
Hermione and Ron was bad. Harry and Ginny was incredibly way out of left field.

The wheels really started to fall off the wagon on that series either after or during book 5 (and Book 4 does a solid job of loosening the screws). The last two books were hard to get through for me as a lot of what I liked up to book 3 had been left in the dust at that point.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the pairing stuff. What's the gist of the complaints?

I will agree none of them made sense to me, the ones they did.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
tbh the trailer is set up to pretend like he pulled a gun on pikachu and that was my first reaction as well

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I thought it was some kind of weird Pokemon tazer for a second? Which felt like... a lot, I was worried it was actually going to get dark.

also, I was listening to Monday's podcast while grocery shopping yesterday but my AirPods kept disconnecting/pausing when they started to react to the trailer... which gave me the cosmic brain idea of actually rewatching it alongside them later instead (which is to say... I have not yet, still)

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yeah like the super realistic treatment of an inherently kind of absurd poke world totally primed me to think that kid was going to draw on pikachu. The sound fx they chose is 100% a gun sound as well

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Friday's discussion was fascinating and I've been thinking about it ever since. I think Rob actually got the indiepocalypse narrative backwards slightly, its not people who are currently working in their spare time who feel they need to go full time, but people currently working full time who have adjusted their lifestyle accordingly and can't afford to go back. (you saw something similar with comics and webcomics in the early 2000s)

One thing that I think makes this tricky to understand in the context of other media is also just how variable team sizes can be for games relative to final sort of "market position". A novel is going to be written by one or, at most usually, two people. A commercial film project, short or long, is going to be at minimum a crew of dozens or hundreds, and the film industry has spent a long time building infrastructure to make big parts of that fungible in a way that works for the workers as well (go unions). But a game you buy for $20 could have been made by two people working in their bedrooms or a team of 24 who have an office with rent and salaries and expenses. Games that from the consumer side look like comparable offerings, at least in terms of "how much I'm spending", can have wildly different levels of success required to keep the creators fed and working.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Friday's discussion was fascinating and I've been thinking about it ever since. I think Rob actually got the indiepocalypse narrative backwards slightly, its not people who are currently working in their spare time who feel they need to go full time, but people currently working full time who have adjusted their lifestyle accordingly and can't afford to go back. (you saw something similar with comics and webcomics in the early 2000s)

One thing that I think makes this tricky to understand in the context of other media is also just how variable team sizes can be for games relative to final sort of "market position". A novel is going to be written by one or, at most usually, two people. A commercial film project, short or long, is going to be at minimum a crew of dozens or hundreds, and the film industry has spent a long time building infrastructure to make big parts of that fungible in a way that works for the workers as well (go unions). But a game you buy for $20 could have been made by two people working in their bedrooms or a team of 24 who have an office with rent and salaries and expenses. Games that from the consumer side look like comparable offerings, at least in terms of "how much I'm spending", can have wildly different levels of success required to keep the creators fed and working.

It also feels like it's easier to hit an international audience in games, where film specifically, but also other media, seem to be more constrained by local appeal. Especially for non-US stuff.

I think the biggest point Rob made is that curation may not be a solvable problem. There's only so much you can surface to a user. One can argue whether algorithms or handpicking games is the better way to do that but given the number of people developping games today a lot will never be able to make a living of it.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fairly recent listener to Waypoint (one of Danika's tweets about Natalie's BB stream is what originally hooked me), but good gravy have I appreciated their podcast that takes another look at the original Red Dead.

I replayed it before diving into RDR2 and there are so many things that sat uncomfortably with me that I couldn't quite articulate in my head but Austin and co were a fantastic help in sorting out my thoughts.

Some of their views challenged me, some I fiercely agreed with (the endless gatling gun sequences, how was I ok with this back in 2010?) and other issues were brought into the light and pinpointed in a way that I didn't have the language to do so on my own (all of Mexico, the hollow pastiche, the noncommital themes).

I dunno if any of them check this thread out, but damn that was a great listen! Thankyou!

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
DsZ5749WkAAAxxC

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Monday's pod was great. Best in a while but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with me actually being interested in all the games they talked about for a change.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice. That's a good pick.

Another WP101 I will join in on. Once I start playing Dragonfall...

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The varying levels of effort everyone puts into the 101 games means they end up being bad spoilercasts where everyone's level of knowledge of what happens is different. It'd be like an episode of Panning the Stream where Dan watches one third of a movie but Bianca watches the whole thing and they still try to have a cohesive conversation about it. It just doesn't work.

I feel like if they're really going to do it right they have to finish the game or reach a predetermined point.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Mark of the Ninja also got a remastered version released recently, on PC... for free! Not sure about other platforms.
The varying levels of effort everyone puts into the 101 games means they end up being bad spoilercasts where everyone's level of knowledge of what happens is different. It'd be like an episode of Panning the Stream where Dan watches one third of a movie but Bianca watches the whole thing and they still try to have a cohesive conversation about it. It just doesn't work.

I feel like if they're really going to do it right they have to finish the game or reach a predetermined point.
The time investment for games is way higher than TV shows, and if you're not enjoying it it'd just be absolutely misery. I'd like everyone to be on the same footing myself, but I get why that's not always possible.

Like for RDR1, I think some of them watched story recaps on YouTube, which seemed like a good compromise to me. Gives them enough room to have a discussion.

Oct 27, 2017
This Battlefield discussion is 75% pretty good. They talked about the historical accuracy aspect the correct way, basically referencing the fact that inclusivity is important but it's also important to understand what your interpretation ends up representing. It's good.

But Rob's idea of his ideal Battlefield was a bit of a head scratcher. I almost get the impression he views Rush as the defacto Battlefield mode... But it's hard to say because there wasn't anyone else there to dig into it from a knowledgeable position. It's good he referenced Red Orchestra 2 which's main game mode basically reflects the ideal method of play he talks about.

Battlefield has pretty much always been a game of "roll around the map from point to point, taking positions, losing positions rinse repeat". At least from my perspective at least.

Would like a follow up conversation at some point.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mark of the Ninja also got a remastered version released recently, on PC... for free! Not sure about other platforms.

The time investment for games is way higher than TV shows, and if you're not enjoying it it'd just be absolutely misery. I'd like everyone to be on the same footing myself, but I get why that's not always possible.

Like for RDR1, I think some of them watched story recaps on YouTube, which seemed like a good compromise to me. Gives them enough room to have a discussion.

And while I understand that, that just means they either need to pick shorter games or pick ones where they all agree only to play to a certain point. It's this weird halfway house between a recap show and a spoilercast and honestly it's never really clicked for me. If you're set on this format it's going to be a time sink, that part is hard to avoid. If you can't make that commitment then you shouldn't be on the show or maybe the show itself shouldn't exist.

Hearing Rob's enthusiasm for Metro being drowned out by Danielle and Austin's apathy despite the later two playing far less of it is still one of the worst moments of Waypoint for me.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
think of an elephant

top half: yellow
bottom half: brown
trunk: half
ears: none
standing up

that's what Drowzee looks like

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I get why they have to do it, but for some games it's still kind of disapointing? It worked for Read dead because everyone was familiar with it and it's pretty straightforward in it's themes and storytelling.

But for say, Dragonfall it ended up falling kind of flat for me. Most of the people present weren't able to say that much about the game or it's themes since a lot of the payoff is towards the end. (you also can't really watch a story summary on youtube for that game since it has 0 voice acting or cutscenes).

That's not a problem they'll have with mark of the Ninja though.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
How long has the podcast been available on Spotify for? Just noticed it in their latest tweet.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I think I inadvertently avoided the W101's I might take issue with, waiting on both Dragonfall and Metro.

I still believe there should be some leeway in how far folks get for a 101, but knowing where something like Dragonfall goes in the end, I can see how disappointing the team not getting there would be. I just need to replay Dragonfall then I'll know for myself.
How long has the podcast been available on Spotify for? Just noticed it in their latest tweet.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

This is the biggest news of the year.