• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'll accept any excuse to hear Austin talk about Dragon's Dogma.

The sequel is going to be a long way off so somebody needs to remind people how good the first game is.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the pace is better than Castlevania's. It felt like it should have a five-season grand storyline, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood style, instead of ten-ish episodes...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
This DMC discussion is super interesting as someone super deep into character action

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Titanfall 2 bit of dancing around not "spoiling" things for Natalie and then they just give it away anyway. 🤦‍♀️

Talk about the game or don't; definitely don't waffle around talking about talking about it.

Dangle

Oct 25, 2017
I crack up every time Austin finds an opportunity to do his Stephen A Smith impression. It never fails.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I take back anything I've ever said or thought about Danika being annoying.

I've been catching up on podcasts since I've got a new job and MAN has Natalie made this whole podcast far more irritating to listen to.

I dont want to dunk on her that much as i remember her shy public speaking era on the podcast but as her confidence as gone up the podcast seems to annoy me more nowadays. They spend so much longer laughing at their own jokes than they ever have before and it seems like a lot of the time it's from natalie now. It almost feels like she's tripping up her words on purpose just so that the gang can laugh about it for a minute plus or go off on increasingly dumb tangents. This element was here before but catching up on old podcasts to present has really made it clear it's getting worse, primarily when natalie is involved.

That kingdom hearts thing was also a dumpster fire which is disappointing because there was some interesting lore there and the first podcast started out good when she knew what she was talking about, then it went south fast as she poorly explained easily confirmable things (why do a lore podcast if your "notes" are so poor), hell eventually they just start reading of wikipidia in order to fact check things she left out. I'm not even a big KH dude but I watched a couple lore explained and was interested when I saw multiple 3 hour podcasts digging into it. And it's not like they did the whole series in 3 hours, it was like 2 games per episode.

Sorry for the rant. I dont wanna take it to thier official forums and cant think of a way to positively say that one of them in particular is getting on my nerves.
(or I guess it's on all of them for letting the derails/jokes last so long)

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
This Titanfall 2 bit of dancing around not "spoiling" things for Natalie and then they just give it away anyway. 🤦‍♀️

Talk about the game or don't; definitely don't waffle around talking about talking about it.

This is what happens when you have two graduates from the Brad Shoemaker school of podcasting.

Oct 27, 2017
A shame there isn't really anyone on the crew that has experience with the DMC series. Seems to be the trend around the journo sphere. I was hoping Cado would at least have since he seems to be the go-to for having knowledge about a game nobody else does.

At least the conversation is pretty good, I was worried when it started with another "Oh well the only one I really played is DmC... which is criminally underrated". A phrase that makes me roll my eyes every time.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so. This might seem a bit selfish but I need Waypoint to do a Be Good And Rewatch It of Coma (1978). It's about one doctor's quest to uncover a conspiracy at her hospital involving coma patients.

...My DVR cut out the last 30-ish minutes and the channel I got it from is like, getting merged or something. This is my last and only hope.

Thanks.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
A shame there isn't really anyone on the crew that has experience with the DMC series. Seems to be the trend around the journo sphere. I was hoping Cado would at least have since he seems to be the go-to for having knowledge about a game nobody else does.

At least the conversation is pretty good, I was worried when it started with another "Oh well the only one I really played is DmC... which is criminally underrated". A phrase that makes me roll my eyes every time.

I could go for a podcast with the IGN guy who seems to be the main other journo I see who absolutely knows their shit. (I reviewed it for the guardian)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was the one where "Austin always interrupting " finally broke me. The part where he interrupts Patrick talking about Vee and the podcast grinds to a halt cause Patrick doesn't understand what Austin is trying to do was audio death

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
This episode was the one where "Austin always interrupting " finally broke me. The part where he interrupts Patrick talking about Vee and the podcast grinds to a halt cause Patrick doesn't understand what Austin is trying to do was audio death
That wasn't interrupting, that was just comically bad podcast setup. He was just trying to get Patrick to explain before going much further that V uses familiars to fight with instead of himself but couldn't form the sentence in such a way that Patrick understood the prompt. It was funny.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm surprised how managable it still is with like 5 people now that Cato is regularly chiming in

shoptroll

May 29, 2018

I personally don't have any history with the DMC franchise, but I wonder if the underlying cause is that games writing tends to have a very high turn-over rate. As the last game in the franchise that people generally seemed to care about (ie. not DmC) shipped out over a decade ago it doesn't seem unlikely that the few remaining outlets (and Waypoint is one of the smallest of them) actually don't have people on staff who have any sort of history with the series.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i mean even among people who played DMC the amount of people out there who can talk and play about it at a high level is really low. Character action just isn't a genre that a lot of people enjoy at that hyper in-depth level for whatever reason. Even Bayo and Bayo 2 which GB loved for instance they mostly love for the spectacle.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So the conclusion is almost nobody cares about deep and high level character action stuff.

Welp, good. Glad the genre can be put to bed now. /s

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Austin's Yahoo View super secret tip comes with a single caveat: it is for Americans only.

Bummer.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have it in me to watch the miniseries right now, and I feel kinda bad about that because I am loving them covering it in a way I did not expect. I have like 0 Austen experience so them being so into this unknown thing is really fun.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i like pride and prejudice... the book. still worth listening to the P&P ep?

also typing that out makes me want to see a pride and prejudice roleplaying game

Oct 25, 2017
i like pride and prejudice... the book. still worth listening to the P&P ep?

also typing that out makes me want to see a pride and prejudice roleplaying game
I say yeah. Although the focus is on the miniseries, it is a very close adaptation. For the most part, their interpretation of Austen's characters and social commentary through the miniseries also applies to the book. Whenever they feel that the book and adaptation has a different reading, they discuss those differences and occasionally how the 2005 movie portrays certain events and characters.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna.

Partway through the kingdom hearts poddy they stay to sound like people who would attend an anti vaxxer rally.

Oct 25, 2017
while I'm enjoying the podcasts, what else does waypoint do these days? I see like an article every once and a while, but the site is mostly just posts about the podcasts. Do they live stream anymore?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. They did a pivot to podcasts. Also, Vice did a reorg recently. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing Waypoint and, say, Motherboard moving closer together / crossing over.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
broke: crossover
woke: cross platform integration at a cellular level
bespoke: wayboard