• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

I was hoping it was Patrick's account lol

Patrick's talked about them before. They used to live in America but got kicked out of the country by ICE. Kinda adds a dark twist to the account they take in good stride.

It's a really nice picture, too. Ring lights never not work.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
decided to play some Prey while waiting for the stream to come back, got to a really cool sequence, looked it up to see if it could've gone any other way...

and accidentally spoiled a huge twist for myself. hooray.

(normally i'm not that fussed about spoilers, but i'd been really enjoying considering all the different possibilities the game was presenting me with, sooooo yea, this sucks.)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I should really play Prey some time. I've been kinda-sorta waiting for it to hit sub-$20 in my local currency, but it hovers at that or above.

Bethesda's sales are the worst.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I should really play Prey some time. I've been kinda-sorta waiting for it to hit sub-$20 in my local currency, but it hovers at that or above.

Bethesda's sales are the worst.

ah yah, i think i got it super cheap on cdkeys or something like that.

it's really good!

don't do what i did! only the most careful googling! and don't finish December's sidequest! (i'd gotten that tip before i started playing, and now i know why, even tho i didn't actually finish the side-quest.)

i really hope they make a sequel!

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
decided to play some Prey while waiting for the stream to come back, got to a really cool sequence, looked it up to see if it could've gone any other way...

and accidentally spoiled a huge twist for myself. hooray.

(normally i'm not that fussed about spoilers, but i'd been really enjoying considering all the different possibilities the game was presenting me with, sooooo yea, this sucks.)
You kinda played yourself there, friend. Game still owns tho.

Oct 28, 2017
You'll probably enjoy Prey's writing more knowing the twist from the beginning tbh. My first time through I liked the first three hours or so but lost a lot of interest in the plot once it lost the surreal mindscrew moments and just revealed itself to be Alien Invaders from Outer Space feat. Workplace Drama and
Meta Commentary.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
This Avengers Waypoints podcast is unlistenable.... How you gonna watch Endgame if you haven't at least seen all of IW?
Who hadn't seen it all? Was it Natalie? Thought it was crazy she saw Endgame without seeing a ton of the more important MCU films. None of the Cap trilogy or the first two Avengers films.

Main thing that bugged me about that cast was some of Cado's comic knowledge was way off. Scarlet Witch just depowered millions of mutants, she didn't wipe them out Thanos style.

Oct 27, 2017
Who hadn't seen it all? Was it Natalie? Thought it was crazy she saw Endgame without seeing a ton of the more important MCU films. None of the Cap trilogy or the first two Avengers films.

Main thing that bugged me about that cast was some of Cado's comic knowledge was way off. Scarlet Witch just depowered millions of mutants, she didn't wipe them out Thanos style.
Yeah... the whole podcast has been them talking about a THING and then Natalie not knowing what they're talking about or not understanding the full context and then Cado and Patrick poorly try to explain the context from either the past movies or the comics. Rinse repeat.

I get not everyone has the time, but it doesn't make a very good listening experience IMO.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
You kinda played yourself there, friend. Game still owns tho.

Yeah, I know. To be fair, it WAS a really roundabout way to accidentally spoil myself:

I'd just gotten to Director Kelstrup's office in Psychotronics, and did the whole 'press to calibrate' thing, which was great! I'm terrible with jump scares, so it worked super well. Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to have the Looking Glass play back the conversation Kelstrup had with Alex, so I googled 'looking glass kelstrup office' or something like that... Which lead me straight to this Reddit post. So, in the end, someone's kinda eh fan theory about a quick jump scare moment revealed the whole hidden premise of the game to me.

(To be clear, it was totally my fault--I'm just surprised it happened that specific way.)

You'll probably enjoy Prey's writing more knowing the twist from the beginning tbh. My first time through I liked the first three hours or so but lost a lot of interest in the plot once it lost the surreal mindscrew moments and just revealed itself to be Alien Invaders from Outer Space feat. Workplace Drama and
Meta Commentary.

Oh I'd been having a great time with it--it took me, like, twelve hours to even get the Psychoscope, then hit the moment that spoiled me, because I was having that much fun picking my way through the station. I was really enjoying the office drama, learning about the world/setting, and figuring out who Morgan was/had been. The mindscrew never really went away for me, either, because I never lost that sense of there being some kind of underlying tension with the nature of reality/consciousness, and who I was actually playing...

Until I spoiled myself, anyway.

I'm probably gonna take a Prey break for the time being, and cross something else off my backlog. I've got Life Is Strange: Before The Storm and Obsidian's Tyranny installed right now, so it'll be one or the other.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... the whole podcast has been them talking about a THING and then Natalie not knowing what they're talking about or not understanding the full context and then Cado and Patrick poorly try to explain the context from either the past movies or the comics. Rinse repeat.

I get not everyone has the time, but it doesn't make a very good listening experience IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this podcast was bad. There was so much they flat out got wrong. Was this how people who played Kingdom Hearts felt about Lore Reasons?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
sekiro spoilercast is up btw

wooo

thanks for the heads up

also, thanks to Austin I am now reading The Thirty Years War by Cicely Veronica Wedgwood, and goddamn this is some wonderful historical writing

and to think, she was just Charlotte Lucas' age in Pride and Prejudice when she wrote this (...probably?)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this podcast was bad. There was so much they flat out got wrong. Was this how people who played Kingdom Hearts felt about Lore Reasons?
I haven't listened to lore reasons yet but seriously the lore of Kingdom Hearts is only hard if you make it hard on yourself. Pretty much all of its "complexity" comes from poor storytelling, and I say that as a fan.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't listened to the Endgame spoilercast yet but regarding Lore Reasons...

There was stuff they got incorrect, but it wasn't really a problem. The things that got disappointing were more when they sorta just went right past stuff that was particularly amusing/endearing, and that was seemingly due to their sources (since they weren't really just playing/watching it directly) not focusing on that. And similarly there were outright lore/story things that it felt like those sources also kinda ignored for some reason (a lot of the stuff around specific Organization members in CoM/2/Days). So that was unfortunate but didn't stop it from being fun; my feeling was more "aww, it woulda been fun to hear them react to _" and even then people tended to send that stuff in later.

And that kind of thing sounds pretty different from what's being said about the Endgame pod; I'll check it out tomorrow I guess.

convo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't blame Natalie for not going for a whole 20 or so movie marathon for this. Patrick needed to get dragged into these movies at the beginning by his friends who liked comics too. Being somewhat clueless about what's the popular thing at the time is also a demographic .

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
There's no shame in going into Endgame without knowing the full MCU history, it just doesn't make for a very interesting listen on a spoilercast when they're having to explain who Shield is, who Hydra is, etc. That said, when they were able to talk about the movie itself I generally agreed with their takeaways, positive and negative (particularly the criticisms re: Thor and Black Widow).

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that the appeal of Waypoint pods is the zero production / chats with friends feeling. But they really would benefit from approaching the things a bit more as products they're creating. Sometimes off the rails is endearing but usually it just should be edited out.

Oct 27, 2017
ain't no shame in watching endgame without watching the other stuff....but if you're gonna be doing a podcast with the express purpose of discussing it at length, it doesn't really make for an engaging listen when most of it is people poorly explaining all the call-backs and payoffs

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC one of those articles mentioned the names of the sites probably staying for podcasts, which makes sense.

So "Waypoint Radio" will still probably be a thing, I guess?

the brand will remain in such a way

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
If this is the end they went out on top
I think it'll be more of a shift, than the end. In the previous Beastcast, Austin mentioned Vice wanted them to focus back on games, and now it's clear he was alluding to this change.

As we've seen not too long ago, if Vice wanted to straight up axe Waypoint, they would've done so.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't start having to write vr sex pieces just to stay on the vice brand, I'm good. Seems way below everyone on the crew lol

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I think it'll be more of a shift, than the end. In the previous Beastcast, Austin mentioned Vice wanted them to focus back on games, and now it's clear he was alluding to this change.

As we've seen not too long ago, if Vice wanted to straight up axe Waypoint, they would've done so.

Agreed. The important part of all this is that they kept all of the staff. Clearly they want everyone's voices to contribute to the new Vice Games. Yeah, they may not have ALL of the editorial freedom they had earlier, but those are some strong personalities that I don't expect will change.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I love that the previous entry was the one announcing Waypoint.

So, do we have to change the name of this thread too?

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
they're the same, sure, but the article is right above the video story 'Cosplay Centerfold - VICE meets Holly Wolf, a cosplayer who's recently sparked controversy for existing in the realm of family-friendly conventions after posing for Playboy.'

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they're the same, sure, but the article is right above the video story 'Cosplay Centerfold - VICE meets Holly Wolf, a cosplayer who's recently sparked controversy for existing in the realm of family-friendly conventions after posing for Playboy.'

Tbh I could see waypoint leading a discussion on that topic for reals