• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Waypoint |OT| video games...are good

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, which indicates they are now being pressure to boost vice as a whole rather than operating independently.

If I wanted motherboards tweets I would follow motherboard. But now once vice means the Twitter feed has turned into a fairly generic vice feed rather than something with Waypoints point of view
Nothing new since they've done this before.

Hasney

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, their first post-merge article is up:

Over 100 Riot Games Employees Walked Out Today to End Forced Arbitration
It appears on the main Vice directory, as well as the Gaming directory, so it will give a lot more visibility for their articles. Not clear on whether the writers are contributors to Gaming, another section, or what; the "About" page on the writers keeps 404ing...
Working for me. The first name doesn't have a title, but Nicole Clark is a "Culture Writer and Critic"

EDIT: Matthew Gault is a writer for Motherboard

Oct 27, 2017
Curse you, Twitter, for being the conduit of all information these days.

If I was an old, I would also shake my fist during this post.

Oct 25, 2017
United States
honestly

Natalie going from intern to the fantastic podcaster she is now is one of the best things to come out of waypoint

whatever she’s going to do next, she’ll be great at it

but I’m gonna miss the joyous gamer......

Oct 26, 2017
I've been out of the loop with Waypoint for a few months now but was feeling pretty enthusiastic about jumping back in after the charity stream. That enthusiasm is kind of taking a hit right now though, the next couple of weeks should be interesting.

Wishing Natalie the best in whatever she'll be doing next.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Danielle is technically leaving, too, huh. She's Managing Editor for Vice and podcast host for Waypoint.

I'm officially bummed out now.
I've been out of the loop with Waypoint for a few months now but was feeling pretty enthusiastic about jumping back in after the charity stream. That enthusiasm is kind of taking a hit right now though, the next couple of weeks should be interesting.

Wishing Natalie the best in whatever she'll be doing next.
If you like the pods, the Savepoint streams will be right up your alley, I think. They're just... fun.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Natalie has really made her mark on Waypoint in the time she's been there. It's a bummer to see her go, but I'm sure she'll do great stuff wherever she's going.

I just hope it's still in games coverage, because it would suck to lose a voice like hers.

Oct 26, 2017
If you like the pods, the Savepoint streams will be right up your alley, I think. They're just... fun.
I wanted to catch those live but unfortunately only caught about 30 minutes on the Friday. It's definitely something I'll be chipping away at over the next week or so.

Nov 13, 2017
In case anybody doesn't have time to listen to the pod immediately but still wants to know what Natalie said about what she's doing, she said it is "outside media, but it still has to do with video games" and then they clarify that it isn't game development.

Oct 29, 2017
vice's hompage is bonkers. Royal baby rankings, riot employee walkouts, the Mormon church hiding sexual abuse accusations and the kink where you put ginger into your butt.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, was trying to think what's outside media, involves video games, but doesn't involve developing video games

academia?

whatever it might be, wishing natalie the best—she's been a great part of waypoint

Oct 25, 2017
In case anybody doesn't have time to listen to the pod immediately but still wants to know what Natalie said about what she's doing, she said it is "outside media, but it still has to do with video games" and then they clarify that it isn't game development.
Social media marketing person / whatever they call community managers now?

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking dammit. Natalie's chemistry with the Waypoint crew was outstanding. Between losing her and Danielle changing positions, it's...well it's not a gutting, but it feels like a big hit.

Oct 25, 2017
vice's hompage is bonkers. Royal baby rankings, riot employee walkouts, the Mormon church hiding sexual abuse accusations and the kink where you put ginger into your butt.
Hmm.

Maybe the change will have me going to Vice.com more often.

And yeah, very happy for Natalie that she is moving on to new and exciting things, but damn...what a loss. Waypoint becoming my favorite podcast crew very much had to do with Natalie becoming a bigger and bigger part of their overall dynamic. Between her leaving and Danielle making fewer appearances, it seems Rob, Austin, Patrick, and Cado are going to have their work cut out for them.

OP
OP
Mezentine
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less concerned about this change than some, I guess, if only because I'm hopeful that maybe it means they'll get a bit more budget to experiment with the types of content they've had to wind down in the last year. I really did like their earlier written content and I'd like to see them get another stab at that with a "soft refresh"

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking dammit. Natalie's chemistry with the Waypoint crew was outstanding. Between losing her and Danielle changing positions, it's...well it's not a gutting, but it feels like a big hit.
not sure if mentioned but waypoint was also one of the few places to hear MORE THAN ONE WOMAN ON A GAMING PODCAST AT A TIME