• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Should I listen to or skip the Eva section if I haven't seen Eva yet?

I wanna see it on Netflix next year.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just remembered Austin talks a little bit about some things that affected the show's production and the end of the series, fairly minor stuff imo
basically how they included images of fan messages (including death threats against the director) in the show itself, and how the ending of the series is kind of a "fuck you"
I think you'll be ok listening to it

I'd forgotten that part entirely

It reminds me fandom was always toxic and all that's really changed is immediacy

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered Austin talks a little bit about some things that affected the show's production and the end of the series, fairly minor stuff imo
basically how they included images of fan messages (including death threats against the director) in the show itself, and how the ending of the series is kind of a "fuck you"
I think you'll be ok listening to it
Regarding the intentions behind the ending,
it isn't much of a "fuck you" to anyone, especially not to nutjobs who sent him death threats. It just wouldn't make sense. You don't do your best work and give the assholes what they wanted if you want to spite them.
Much of what people interpret as an insult directed at the audience is either Anno looking inward or, in the case of the ending, straight-up copying some of his favorite old anime and manga.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
People worry too much about Eva and how it's supposed to interact with other anime.

You can just watch Eva if that's what your interested in, it's fine. I enjoyed it without the context of having watched other anime just fine. Certainly I spent a lot of time reading Eva geeks to understand the plot but I don't think any amount of anime "experience" would have changed that, and I found reading a lot of the fan analysis enjoyable.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch or listen to Waypoint, but I'm in for their Eva podcast. Would it be episodic or would they do a full watch and then do one long podcast?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe this website would rip off the anime experts at Giant Bomb and make an anime podcast.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Boy that Eva discussion really made me want to watch Eva. Are the versions online really that bad and should I just wait for Netflix, or what?

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
There's currently no legal streaming options which is why the Netflix news was such a big surprise

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a blu ray 1080p version that's a pretty damn good transfer (of what is to be clear a mid-90s anime show) that's floating around. I assume that'll be what Netflix eventually will be streaming.

My first exposure to Eva was a DVD set from Thailand I got on eBay that I'm 90% sure is counterfeit but it was way cheaper than any other options to buy, back when I cared about owning physical media.

Anime used to be so stupidly expensive. Even when DVD sets of western shows plummeted you had companies like Manga in the UK buying rights to big shows and trying to nickel and dime consumers to death.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I remember anime being ludicrously expensive on disc and hard to find, which is why it was always pirated. The only one I actually own is FMA Brotherhood on Blu-ray and that's because I worked at the store that sold it and got it below cost.

The streaming future has been a boon for legitimate viewing of anime in the West. All this simulcasting stuff is great.

If you're into that sort of thing, at least. I only end up finding an anime I can tolerate, much less really enjoy, every couple years.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Funimation's Youtube channel, subbed, (and free) like a decade ago.

Funimation was so ahead of the game.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I watched the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Funimation's Youtube channel, subbed, (and free) like a decade ago.

Funimation was so ahead of the game.
The entirety of the Gurren Lagann English dub was on Youtube at a point too, and I believe it was legit.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I loooooove Austin's passion for Eva. You can tell his eyes light up when he starts talking about it. I also enjoyed Danielle's passion for MMA flowing inbetween Austin and Rob's tut-tuting about the imperfect state of the sport. Maybe I just love hearing people love things but Waypoint is so much better when they're talking about something they have a connection with.

If Waypoints was more that than a grab bag of things that appeared in their RSS feeds the last seven days I'd listen every week.

I've seen EVA and hearing his passion for it made me want to rewatch it when it comes out. I mean, Patrick's old horror podcast basically did the same thing for me also.

Austin describing cowboy bebop as being on his top 5 but also calling it good, not great. I really want to hear them talk about that more, actually

I really want to find that talk he mentioned.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Up to 2.22 now, and I still am not quite sure why Mari is necessary.

What do you have against glasses

I thought she was a good foil for Asuka given Shinji is so lifeless. It lets Asuka be the most Asuka Asuka can be.

I just think seeing more EVA pilots is a good addition because Rei is like a shell of a person and besides that it's pretty much the Shinji and Asuka show.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Boy that Eva discussion really made me want to watch Eva. Are the versions online really that bad and should I just wait for Netflix, or what?
The TV series looks and reads great.
The movie (the proper ending) is trickier. The official translation is notoriously bad, so you probably would have to dig a bit to find a good fansub, which can be a bit messy.

I just think seeing more EVA pilots is a good addition because Rei is like a shell of a person and besides that it's pretty much the Shinji and Asuka show.
And now everyone is a shell of what they used to be.
Adding shallow new characters is a terrible idea when the movies can't possibly take enough time to do justice to the original cast.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished playing Mark of the Ninja for the first time since it launched six years ago -- relative to the general reaction at the time, I was always luke-warm on the game, but this time I came around on it a *little* more than last time, but I still think the score system kind of punishes exploratory play or creative play. It makes the whole thing feel kind of shallow. I kept defaulting to just using the safest mechanics and restarting when things went wrong. It's kind of my own fault, I realise that, but you know... Like, I played with the stealth suit and tried not to kill anyone, and as a result some of the challenges and seals were locked off to me -- it's not that big of a deal in hindsight, but the UI presents it like such a failure when you miss them. It's a bummer.

Anyway, once things open up a bit in some of the later levels, I had a good time. The mid-game level where you storm a castle to take out the arms dealer and can climb around the outside of it and enter from a bunch of different angles was a total chef's kiss through and through.

I was never a fan of the art style or voice acting, and I can't say time did it any favours. But maybe I'm just a stick in the mud re: that, I don't have much nostalgia for that art-style.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The Ivy breast conversation on the most recent pod seems a bit off. Ivy isn't a self-deterministic being; she doesn't actually exist, so she isn't dressing herself. The tawdryness is clear because her cup size increased from Soulcalibur 2 to 3 to 4 along with increasingly ludicrous physics. The part where they act like it's bodyshaming to find that offputting (in my case as a guy who likes boobs, it's the cheapest pandering and therefore turns me off) reminds me of the more tonedeaf arguments people make on here to defend exploitative designs.

Not to say I don't understand the "reclaiming" argument that Maddy was making in her piece. That's just a separate thing.

Edit: okay, Rob eventually got to what I was saying. That's what I get for posting before finishing the conversation and leaving the house.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was not expecting to like the Purge BGRs at all, but they really won me over in the end. The Final Purge's pod in particular feels genuinely enlightening, even as someone that still hasn't seen any of the movies.

And that Eva discussion was great. If I wasn't sold on Eva before, I sure am now. That whole Waypoint was wonderful.

My big takeaway, though--and this is something that's taken a while for me to realise--is how much I appreciate the preparedness everyone has when going into a pod. I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this exact thing before. Taking notes and having a keen understand of, or at least inquisitiveness about, the subject being discussed makes for some really great listening.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you have against glasses

I thought she was a good foil for Asuka given Shinji is so lifeless. It lets Asuka be the most Asuka Asuka can be.

Mari felt like someone they had to introduce into 2.22 given what happens to
Asuka extra spaces to make it less obvious
as the inciting incident. Other than her concern about her bosom fitting in the plug suit and her desire to pilot Evas, I still have no handle on her character after 2.22 and 3.33. That's why adding her feels like a marketing decision that a narrative. I could be wrong; they could make her integral in 3.0 + 1.0, but I think that she takes time from other characters to little gain.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The TV series looks and reads great.
The movie (the proper ending) is trickier. The official translation is notoriously bad, so you probably would have to dig a bit to find a good fansub, which can be a bit messy.

And now everyone is a shell of what they used to be.
Adding shallow new characters is a terrible idea when the movies can't possibly take enough time to do justice to the original cast.

I think the movies remove a lot of the repetitive fluff of the tv series, honestly. You don't need to belabour something to get a point across and having to fill 24-25 half hour slots actually weakened the story tbh. The character arcs are relatively straight forward despite how obtuse the delivery is so everything can be done much more efficiently.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I think the movies remove a lot of the repetitive fluff of the tv series, honestly. You don't need to belabour something to get a point across and having to fill 24-25 half hour slots actually weakened the story tbh. The character arcs are relatively straight forward despite how obtuse the delivery is so everything can be done much more efficiently.
That can't be done at all now that their character development has been derailed with a time skip and a magical "it's not creepy, these kids are actually nearly 30-year-old dragons" curse. There is nothing straightforward about those characters anymore.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The english dub for Eva was...fine by the terms of the 90s, but is kinda awful by the modern standards we have for dubs. And you better have like 4 different adblockers installed to visit any of the popular illicet anime streaming sites you are going to find either the sub or dub on. If you find a torrent, that probably would be fine- but for any normal human being, you should just wait for the Netflix version to start if you don't have a way to source DVDs from a friend

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The english dub for Eva was...fine by the terms of the 90s, but is kinda awful by the modern standards we have for dubs. And you better have like 4 different adblockers installed to visit any of the popular illicet anime streaming sites you are going to find either the sub or dub on. If you find a torrent, that probably would be fine- but for any normal human being, you should just wait for the Netflix version to start if you don't have a way to source DVDs from a friend

No one who likes anime is normal

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I haven't finished listening to the Eva episode yet but this is truly Austin unleashed (or his true final form). I don't think I've ever heard him that excited on a show since I started listening. I can just hear his eyes lighting up. It's glorious. That everyone else seemed to be just as excitable makes me think I really need to make a point of finally watching this show when it hits Netflix next year.

Has Austin ever posted his Top 5 Anime list anywhere? I'd be interested to know what he ranks above Cowboy Bebop (something I'm definitely in the good, not great camp despite finding it an enjoyable watch).

Also, glad Patrick name dropped Xenogears in the discussion. Looking forward to the inevitable 101 and hearing some discussion about Eva's influences on video games and the JRPG genre in particular.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I haven't finished listening to the Eva episode yet but this is truly Austin unleashed (or his true final form). I don't think I've ever heard him that excited on a show since I started listening. I can just hear his eyes lighting up. It's glorious. That everyone else seemed to be just as excitable makes me think I really need to make a point of finally watching this show when it hits Netflix next year.

Has Austin ever posted his Top 5 Anime list anywhere? I'd be interested to know what he ranks above Cowboy Bebop (something I'm definitely in the good, not great camp despite finding it an enjoyable watch).

Also, glad Patrick name dropped Xenogears in the discussion. Looking forward to the inevitable 101 and hearing some discussion about Eva's influences on video games and the JRPG genre in particular.
I'm not sure if he's ever done a ranking, but based on what I've seen on Twitter when people ask for recommendations, Austin is really high on Gundam 08th MS Team.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Can someone explain to me what the joke is about anime/people who like anime being garbage? I know anime has representation and trope issues, but so do videogames, comics, and books. I've never understood what's so funny or novel about dismissing an entire artform with just a snide "anime is garbage" type comment. People wouldn't stand for someone saying videogames are garbage, but it's somehow hilarious to say that anime is crap.

Patrick thankfully hasn't been doing that lately, as it seems like a bad habit Giant Bomb instilled in him. The whole thing just comes across as extremely racist to me as I can't see a difference in why people put it down other than that it's Japanese.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hell people who watch anime would also agree that anime is garbage

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
It is definitely an old meme by now and is kinda showing it's age. I think you could track it's lineage to 'weaboo' memes, or its all at least stuff that formed around the same time and points of origin, which probably does have roots in some 'ironic' racism.

Calls to mind for me the veiled phobias latent in a lot of the backlash to final fantasy (or others of the like) main characters based on their androgynous or 'pretty' looks that happened during the 2000s. As someone who appears more like that, it was often frustrating to see people react with hostility towards those kinds of characters based on how they looked.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure if he's ever done a ranking, but based on what I've seen on Twitter when people ask for recommendations, Austin is really high on Gundam 08th MS Team.
I finally got around to watching it after his suggestion and it definitely is good "war is hell" type stuff. Pretty grim and treats the mechs as tanks.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anime is garbage

I also love anime

Also apparently I'm now racist

If something can't be explained through Farther Ted clips it's probably not worth explaining to begin with

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Patrick thankfully hasn't been doing that lately, as it seems like a bad habit Giant Bomb instilled in him. The whole thing just comes across as extremely racist to me as I can't see a difference in why people put it down other than that it's Japanese.

Patrick talking dumb shit and learning from others that it's bad shit he's talking about seems way more recent to me than it probably is now, it just strikes me sometimes how much time has passed since his GB days and hell Dan has been here for so long as well.
Repeating the dumb shit you talked about in your college/teen days i can't sympathize with Patrick in the slightest since being a minority and getting slurs thrown at me told me some things about what insults to human beings were in middle school and that repeating words because your friends use them all the time were the worst excuses they had to offer to me. Seeing a grown-up white man be in need of consulting did not inspire me.