• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's sorta weird territory to enter, cause on one hand, there are obvious issues with a decent number of anime; there very popular tropes that are outright gross. And so I don't think it's weird to be offput by it. There is also that there's certainly a tendency for shitty people with anime avatars and such to do bad things online, building a bad association with fandom of it, for better or worse.

On the other hand, at some point you're arbitrarily being shitty about a lot of another country's media just because. And often ignoring, or being ignorant of, a lot of gross things about our own countries' media in the process. This also extends to games and other things using similar art styles; a lot of the GB GOTY stuff around VNs last year was pretty frustrating to hear for reasons related to this. I've also seen that "anime avatars" shit be thrown at marginalized people as a way to easily dismiss them when like... they just don't want to use a picture of their face as an avatar for significant reasons. And so on.

So like... at some point, just actually criticize what you want to criticize instead of leaning into cheap memes.

plus a lot of "games are bad" stuff is about gamers and corporations and such, but yes, people would probably see that as more unreasonable for some reason

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's sorta weird territory to enter, cause on one hand, there are obvious issues with a decent number of anime; there very popular tropes that are outright gross. And so I don't think it's weird to be offput by it. There is also that there's certainly a tendency for shitty people with anime avatars and such to do bad things online, building a bad association with fandom of it, for better or worse.

On the other hand, at some point you're arbitrarily being shitty about a lot of another country's media just because. And often ignoring, or being ignorant of, a lot of gross things about our own countries' media in the process. This also extends to games and other things using similar art styles; a lot of the GB GOTY stuff around VNs last year was pretty frustrating to hear for reasons related to this. I've also seen that "anime avatars" shit be thrown at marginalized people as a way to easily dismiss them when like... they just don't want to use a picture of their face as an avatar for significant reasons. And so on.

So like... at some point, just actually criticize what you want to criticize instead of leaning into cheap memes.

plus a lot of "games are bad" stuff is about gamers and corporations and such, but yes, people would probably see that as more unreasonable for some reason

Just because anime is garbage it doesn't mean anything else isn't too

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Leaning into memes and not apologizing or fact-checking are sometimes used to justify comedy.It works for stuff like the bombcast where everyone involved should know what the deal is, that the standards are low and expect exactly that. Sometimes though that's taken as an excuse to be lazy and to avoid making actual arguments and that crashes and burns pretty easily. The counter to it is a disclaimer that you are witnessing a dumbster fire for entertainment purposes and you shouldn't take it too seriously.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leaning into memes and not apologizing or fact-checking are sometimes used to justify comedy.It works for stuff like the bombcast where everyone involved should know what the deal is, that the standards are low and expect exactly that. Sometimes though that's taken as an excuse to be lazy and to avoid making actual arguments and that crashes and burns pretty easily. The counter to it is a disclaimer that you are witnessing a dumbster fire for entertainment purposes and you shouldn't take it too seriously.

I'm not joking when I say anime is garbage though

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not joking when I say anime is garbage though
Too easy. Even Jeff Gerstmann gets tired of maintaining attitude, the older one gets the life-force you spent on pointless crap gets more and more precious.
The end comes closer and wasting time on this pointless exercise in trying too hard becomes just a time waster till the end of one's life.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too easy. Even Jeff Gerstmann gets tired of maintaining attitude, the older one gets the life-force you spent on pointless crap gets more and more precious.
The end comes closer and wasting time on this pointless exercise in trying too hard becomes just a time waster till the end of one's life.

I think in time you might realise this is not a battle worth fighting

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Popular animes are literally for children.
Funny how Wrestling is too. The cross-overs are obvious it's just U.S Wrestling needed to catch up and steal some more anime storylines like more entertaining international wrestling leagues. But those guys also have giant man-babys as fans that like Trump a lot.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
DtgpOc8U0AAQ-y6

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
It's easy to shit on anime for being garbage, but they've been making some strides into better representation and imagery. This season alone we have a openly transgender idol that's not a comic relief, and a male magical girl that's also not comic relief. There's still ways to go and some shows are still trash, but it's getting better.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's easy to shit on anime for being garbage, but they've been making some strides into better representation and imagery. This season alone we have a openly transgender idol that's not a comic relief, and a male magical girl that's also not comic relief. There's still ways to go and some shows are still trash, but it's getting better.

McDonalds is garbage but when u in the mood it tastes divine

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice that the action figures anime statues are getting more diverse.

Anyway this recent media unionization news has been kind of interesting to watch. Austin's just now tweeting solidarity with the Vice union but... he's management? I wonder to what extent he has budget / staffing power.

I'd like to hear him dig in to his relationship with the struggle: does he have priorities or constraints in opposition to the union? Or is that higher up the chain?

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Probably depends on their org structure. It's certainly in his best interest as the manager of his team to ensure they are happy with their job, etc. He doesn't have an EIC role if he doesn't have any staff.

May 5, 2018
Random question, but will Waypoint do a talk over the Game Awards stream this year? Would love to see it since their stream last year was so good. Though Danika will certainly be missed if they are doing one.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cute review. Seem Cado went about as deep into the game as I expect to. World of Light seems really neat.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Have they changed review formats? There's been some wild swings in how much they try to give an overview of the game, like with the Tomb Raider review being this epic-scale look on the entire franchise, while this Smash review is more of a small, personal reflection on what the game is to Cado. And there's none of that image summary stuff they were doing before.

They're both useful as reviews, but it's just a bit jarring.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was less of a capital-R "Review" and more of a thing that just kind of happened.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, they weren't joking when they said they got those games in??? Awesome.

Battletech getting some love fills me with joy.