• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Of late, I've found Waypoint's podcasts consistently more interesting than Giant Bomb's precisely because they are so engaged with the topics they're covering. Be it games or other stuff, they know enough about their subjects to actually explain it to others--something that I feel is increasingly lacking from GB (where a sort of institutional knowledge of what they're talking about is required). This makes the actual discussions a lot more interesting as there's more back-and-forth, or just more insightful looks, into the subject of the day.

Like, it might just be my tastes changing over the years, but I'm finding Waypoint 1000% compatible with my interests. Their deep dives into games and gaming culture are unparalleled. (And the stuff they talk about in Waypoints has also been hella up my alley too, the political talk especially.)

I would say Waypoint's pods are currently being good and good at it. Or however they saying goes.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
This seems pretty clearly different than the past few years so I'd say that's a safe bet.

I actually liked that they had fan fiction - it's a neat, creative aspect of fandom that's looked down upon, often for gendered reasons - and I think it would be fairly easy to just... not... do anything close to that one from last year? But this seems more along the lines of them personally doing stuff than commissioning anything anyway.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stay away from fan fiction anyways
Austin, in his appology for the fuckups they had with fan-fiction last year, said that they wouldn't do something like that again unless they had a diversity of people able to read and review anything like that again, because they put something up that was harmful to non-binary and transgendered individuals last year, in part because they didn't have anyone transgendered or non-binary to read it over first to make sure it was OK.

I don't think we are seeing Fanfiction again

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I must've been hanging out under a rock during GoTY season last year. I don't remember any of the fan fiction stuff at all. The high school yearbook framing device from 2016 was kinda fun though.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't go as far as saying fan fiction sucks hairy balls but I will say I've never read or watched fan fiction I could describe as good

At least with anime garbage you'll find a few well-preserved half-eaten Big Macs now and then

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The article for it on the site hasn't gone up yet, but Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 is the game for day 2. Unless they also talk about Captain Spirit, I don't know why they'd not do that instead. I really enjoyed LiS2E1 but it's fucking wild the second episode isn't hitting 'til January, and it's such an opening chapter that it's hard to really discuss it in any capacity without infinite "but I guess we'll see where [particular aspect] goes," qualifiers.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
The article for it on the site hasn't gone up yet, but Life is Strange 2: Episode 1 is the game for day 2. Unless they also talk about Captain Spirit, I don't know why they'd not do that instead. I really enjoyed LiS2E1 but it's fucking wild the second episode isn't hitting 'til January, and it's such an opening chapter that it's hard to really discuss it in any capacity without infinite "but I guess we'll see where [particular aspect] goes," qualifiers.
honestly their episode for this is like half retrospective on the lis1. at least cado was there for his own personal experiences in relation to LiS2. And I guess Patrick is gonna talk Captain Spirit for his personal top 10 pod thing.

I'm pretty okay with how these have been going two pods in.

also:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
honestly their episode for this is like half retrospective on the lis1. at least cado was there for his own personal experiences in relation to LiS2. And I guess Patrick is gonna talk Captain Spirit for his personal top 10 pod thing.

I'm pretty okay with how these have been going two pods in.

also:

Having now listened to it, I appreciate how much Cado brought to that. I hope the rest of the season can live up to what he wants out of it.

And yeah, with Battletech today, I agree. These are pretty condensed retrospectives and I'm digging them.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so glad Cado and Danielle are on the proper side of history.
To be honest I'm impressed that Dontnod went so hard in actually bringing you back there regardless of the choice. It could have been really easy to skirt around that so as to not canonize either ending, but they leaned all the way in on both. So that's actually pretty neat.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Forgot to mention, the MHW pod kinda sold me on Monster Hunter, then unsold again as they reminded me of all the horrible animal hunting elements in that game.

I really liked, uhhh Natalie's(?) ideas of approaching those mindless hunting elements (of slaughtering animals, as well as affecting the ecology/environment at large) with more awareness. I'd find playing it way more palatable if that were the case.

Really enjoying this approach to holiday #content overall.
To be honest I'm impressed that Dontnod went so hard in actually bringing you back there regardless of the choice. It could have been really easy to skirt around that so as to not canonize either ending, but they leaned all the way in on both. So that's actually pretty neat.
Yeah, as far as cameos go, that was the elegant way to handle it, 'cause I think it satisfies both camps. Couldn't have asked for better validation of the first game.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back into MHW, but I kinda fell off because I don't have anyone to hunt with :(

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to get back into MHW, but I kinda fell off because I don't have anyone to hunt with :(
Same here. After that glowing podcast about it, I booted it back up, and decided that I just ain't got the friends that put time into it. Bleh. And knowing the people I know won't be into it because hunting an injured animal is so fucking wrong.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I loved MHW to bits but the lack of monster variety killed off my interest pretty quickly after the first month or so. Sucks the expansion is around 10 months aways because it needs new content badly. At least Generations came out in the west so I've got that to keep me going.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, speaking of multiplayer, Natalie's observation about group hunting being more acceptable was a really keen one. Personally, I find hurting animals in games very distasteful, but multiplayer games make everything seem less severe. Her explanation is the first time I've ever noticed that preference articulated, though.

So, uh, is MHW that much better multiplayer? 'Cause every time folks talk about it, grouping up sounds like the biggest bummer in the world for how byzantine it is.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, speaking of multiplayer, Natalie's observation about group hunting being more acceptable was a really keen one. Personally, I find hurting animals in games very distasteful, but multiplayer games make everything seem less severe. Her explanation is the first time I've ever noticed that preference articulated, though.

So, uh, is MHW that much better multiplayer? 'Cause every time folks talk about it, grouping up sounds like the biggest bummer in the world for how byzantine it is.
I think it allows you to play your "class" a lot more, when you're not the sole target of a huge beast. Also like they mentioned, post-story it pretty much becomes necessary for a lot of the larger hunts.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

It's a bad system but you get used to it.

As for the other question: I don't have fun playing this game alone. Coordinating with friends and figuring out how to kill monsters is much more fun in groups. The fights also feel more dynamic as you can assign tasks and roles. I've played it for a 100 hours and i doubt i'd have played 10 if i had to play alone.

Also a lot of their complaints about the game Not explaining Monster weaknesses and parts and stuff are wrong. It's all easily accessible in the monster handbook. You do need to look up tutorials for the weapons though. The game does a poor job of teaching how to use them

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Listening to the Hollow Knight cast, I had no idea they added custom map pins to that game at some point post-release last year. Would've been a godsend in the base game (which I still enjoyed).

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the Hollow Knight cast, I had no idea they added custom map pins to that game at some point post-release last year. Would've been a godsend in the base game (which I still enjoyed).

I've only played on Switch and it's still shocking to me that they're a later addition.

They're really excellent to have, especially since there's multiple types. I play it once or twice every couple weeks, but whenever I pick it up I know immediately what things I planned to do next, what I was planning to do in the short term beyond that, what places have something that a new ability might help with, what fights I haven't been able to beat, etc. It's really wonderful.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally started in on Waypoints 12 about the Slate Political Gabfest and I just gotta say: I made a "David Plotz is the Garnett Lee of this show" take years and years ago on GAF.

This is what it is to feel seen.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finally started in on Waypoints 12 about the Slate Political Gabfest and I just gotta say: I made a "David Plotz is the Garnett Lee of this show" take years and years ago on GAF.

This is what it is to feel seen.

I wonder if Patrick feels a bit weird when Rob references a show he himself was a co-host of. He's mentioned 1UP Yours multiple times now.

1UP Yours with Garnett, Shane, Luke and John was the first podcast I genuinely had to listen to each week, and the first truly great gaming podcast. Better than The Hotspot or Giant Bombcast ever was.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hotspot was my first pod and I'm a Jeff Gerstmann loyalist but yeah, glory days 1UP were special.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone know the episode of 1UP Yours where the "its my goddamn show" reference comes from?

edit: also just realized that Patrick has been a cohost on both 1UP Yours AND the Bombcast. Wild!

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Like, Garnett said that as a joke nearly every single episode, it was like a catchphrase
Ah okay, I knew that, but for some reason I thought the catchphrase stemmed from an actual legit outburst on a show or something. Thanks!

God, remember when Luke stabbed someone with a pen during an argument over NPD rankings or something, gaming podcasts used to be so weird

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they're probably not casting live this week ey? I really want to hear Austin talk about Spiderverse

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
To clarify some, Garnett got legitimately angry during an episode of 1Up Yours and shouted "IT'SMYGODDAMNSHOW" 30 seconds after being shut down over something or other. He was then made fun of by his co-hosts, and only then after several weeks to months did it become a joke.

He was honestly, legitimately angry and snapped in that moment. When it's not 2:30 AM I can find the This Year podcast that references that and has the clip. The original site is down but it's hosted elsewhere IIRC (the same podcast has a sort of yearly Best Of Bombcasts and did a Ryan Davis tribute after he passed).

Fake Edit: https://archive.org/details/this-year-collection/

Okay, quick google to find it. Start at around 1:46:30 on "158-This Year S1-1Up Yours-Top 40" for the clip. They're arguing about PS3 backwards compatibility being a thing or not (JESUS CHRIST I AM OLD) and everyone is against Garnett in that moment and he steadily gets aggravated.

I can't remember my mother's fucking birthday but I can remember that the one Garnett clip is the last one in a set of a collection episode of podcasts that not only themselves are shelved, but the podcast that collected those podcasts is shelved and only available in archive form. I'm a terrible person.

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify some, Garnett got legitimately angry during an episode of 1Up Yours and shouted "IT'SMYGODDAMNSHOW" 30 seconds after being shut down over something or other. He was then made fun of by his co-hosts, and only then after several weeks to months did it become a joke.

He was honestly, legitimately angry and snapped in that moment. When it's not 2:30 AM I can find the This Year podcast that references that and has the clip. The original site is down but it's hosted elsewhere IIRC (the same podcast has a sort of yearly Best Of Bombcasts and did a Ryan Davis tribute after he passed).

Okay, quick google to find it. Start at around 1:46:30 on "158-This Year S1-1Up Yours-Top 40" for the clip. They're arguing about PS3 backwards compatibility being a thing or not (JESUS CHRIST I AM OLD) and everyone is against Garnett in that moment and he steadily gets aggravated.

I can't remember my mother's fucking birthday but I can remember that the one Garnett clip is the last one in a set of a collection episode of podcasts that not only themselves are shelved, but the podcast that collected those podcasts is shelved and only available in archive form. I'm a terrible person.
I love stupid shit like this. Thank you for pointing me this way. Wow, what a baby. lmao

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they do that Battletech vs. stream. Not sure if that was just wishful thinking or what, but they said it out loud so now it's set in stone.

And man, that bit about Victoria's(?) AI was amazing. I had the same thing happen to me, but I never considered the implications of that--just thought it was the AI having a goof. That is such an awesome touch by Harebrained.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Do you remember the one time Jeff was on 1UP Yours Jokeu

That was literally ten years ago to the day today

The superpowers combining

Oct 25, 2017
all this is doing is reminding me that I have a Black Dragon sized hole in my heart. I miss you Jeffrey. Come back to SOMETHING.