• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

It's the "Papa Bear" thing from the LABO stream.

That, Snake Pass, Sea of Thieves and Resident Evil 7 VR are probably some of their best streams. There was one of the Bloodborne ones where Natalie just wasn't getting anywhere and looked like she was slowly dying inside while Danika was constantly singing and mocking her which was fun too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

It's funny that it looks like Rob lost weight while at the same time getting extremely into baking.

But in a more general sense, getting together with a great board game designer and waylaying anything else in favour of making cakes is exactly the sort of thing I love from these people, and it makes me super glad Waypoint wasn't shut down.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one annoyed at how low mixed the waypoint podcast is?

It's like the lowest mixed thing of anything I've consumed so I always have to adjust the volume whether I start listening to it and when I've stopped listening to it.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Danielle's 'this game has cops and don't forget, cops are implements of systemic racism!' bit in her RE2 piece ran dangerously close to type of junk I see from woke twitter liberals attempting to flash progressive bonafides and then I listen to the pod and she says *that*.

Yikes.
I'm not gonna trust a police department that has someone like Irons leading them.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
According to the clock in my first Claire playthrough, I am 2.5 or so hours into the game and I completely agree with this. The game paints neither corporations nor police leadership with a kind brush.

And yet Leon is the most heroic cop in existence

No wonder he ends up with a presidential detail by RE4

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

It's like the lowest mixed thing of anything I've consumed so I always have to adjust the volume whether I start listening to it and when I've stopped listening to it.
Yeah it's pretty quiet. I have to boost volume by 40% to make it roughly the same level as the Bombcast or Beastcast.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's pretty quiet. I have to boost volume by 40% to make it roughly the same level as the Bombcast or Beastcast.

I'd imagine it's easier to get consistent levels when all mics are being monitored locally by an engineer, who knows what differences there are between Patrick and Rob's mics both in terms of fiedelity and sensitivity compared with the rest of them in NYC.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda what I mean though, waypoint is the only piece of media that needs me to mess around with volume significantly.

It's not a big deal. Just kinda annoying.

Also if I want to play a game and listen to it at the same time on the phone, setting the game volume to the lowest setting is still not enough to prevent it from overpowering the podcast. Waypoint is literally the only podcast I listen to that has this problem.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
So I tried to get through their first Kingdom Hearts cast but had to bail halfway through since I've never played any of these games and couldn't follow any of it. Should I just skip part 2 entirely or give it a shot?

I absolutely loved their 3-hour non-Kingdom Hearts cast though. More of that please!

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I tried to get through their first Kingdom Hearts cast but had to bail halfway through since I've never played any of these games and couldn't follow any of it. Should I just skip part 2 entirely or give it a shot?

I absolutely loved their 3-hour non-Kingdom Hearts cast though. More of that please!

The whole point of it is then trying to comprehend the incompressible one step removed from actually playing the games

If you were expecting a forensic primer of what Kingdom Hearts is by experts you need to adjust your expectations

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say it was you being rough. Every time I come in here lately you're being pretty harsh to someone for expressing, at most, mild pushback on something associated with Waypoint—and usually considerably less than that. I really don't think someone asking "Should I listen to this podcast?" warrants being told that they need to adjust their expectations. Everyone in the thread likes Waypoint stuff, everyone is here to talk about Waypoint stuff, people don't need to be immediately bopped on the nose for saying that a podcast didn't hook them.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

the point of the lore casts is basically to blast you in the face with unfollowable garbage so if you're not enjoying it don't bother with part 2. The waycasts are regular and twice-weekly so just hang around and listen to those!

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say it was you being rough. Every time I come in here lately you're being pretty harsh to someone for expressing, at most, mild pushback on something associated with Waypoint—and usually considerably less than that. I really don't think someone asking "Should I listen to this podcast?" warrants being told that they need to adjust their expectations. Everyone in the thread likes Waypoint stuff, everyone is here to talk about Waypoint stuff, people don't need to be immediately bopped on the nose for saying that a podcast didn't hook them.

I'm sorry if you think my post above is pretty harsh but I absolutely don't agree with that assessment.

In fact I'd go as far as saying you're colouring between the lines of what I said with your personal opinion.

If you don't think I should have pushed back on the guy yesterday trying to get a few kicks into Danielle I'm a little aghast, too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sheep was just saying that it's fun because of how messy it is and not to be taken truly seriously (you'd be better served for actual information with one of the many video primers that exist)...it was just said in a very Stolen Sheep way.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think your response to the person yesterday was very poorly-worded and honestly incredibly condescending.

I like Waypoint, I post on era, sometimes I poke my head in to post about Waypoint and I am always very put off that such a warm and welcoming site's presence on this board seems to be characterized by immediate, irascible pushback on any perceived criticism of a piece of Waypoint content. It seems, to me, to be at odds with what I think of Waypoint as being, which is a group of people who are very conscientious and respectful of viewpoints that are crosswise with their own.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I think your response to the person yesterday was very poorly-worded and honestly incredibly condescending.

I like Waypoint, I post on era, sometimes I poke my head in to post about Waypoint and I am always very put off that such a warm and welcoming site's presence on this board seems to be characterized by immediate, irascible pushback on any perceived criticism of a piece of Waypoint content. It seems, to me, to be at odds with what I think of Waypoint as being, which is a group of people who are very conscientious and respectful of viewpoints that are crosswise with their own.

We'll agree to disagree because I feel fully justified in what I said. I'm only disrespectful to people who themselves are disrespectful.

Also I'm laughing a little at the suggestion I just push back at any criticism of Waypoint because I feel like I've been more critical than most of them myself. Indeed I think I've actually been too critical at times.

Last edited:

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

So far I'd say the KH stuff is more entertaining than informative. I've listened to both episodes and have zero fucking idea what's happening. It's fun to hear the Waypoint crew work through the nonsense but if I wanted a primer, I'd probably check out the videos they watched on Youtube.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've listened to both KHcasts. I have only the vaguest explanation for what KH *is*.

...I think I'll just listened to them again. Eventually it will sink in.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I think Phoney's (initial, at least) post went kinda hard, at least from the point of view of coming off the thread about the Vice stuff where people were throwing a tantrum over the same article in similar ways.

On the other, the idea that Sheep tends to be harsh while defending the site is off, imo. If anything I feel like it's usually him and I going too hard at each other, but I'm the one being defensive?

EDIT: I should say I think it surely can be offputting to the kind of people who enjoy Waypoint but don't normally post in here if we behave that way, regardless. So I think that's probably a good thing to consider going forward, especially as the Vice thread showed that there's a decent number of people who love the site and yet don't participate in this thread.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On one hand, I think Phoney's (initial, at least) post went kinda hard, at least from the point of view of coming off the thread about the Vice stuff where people were throwing a tantrum over the same article in similar ways.

On the other, the idea that Sheep tends to be harsh while defending the site is off, imo. If anything I feel like it's usually him and I going too hard at each other, but I'm the one being defensive?

EDIT: I should say I think it surely can be offputting to the kind of people who enjoy Waypoint but don't normally post in here if we behave that way, regardless. So I think that's probably a good thing to consider going forward, especially as the Vice thread showed that there's a decent number of people who love the site and yet don't participate in this thread.

Honestly, Austin even bothering to post his tweet thread on Friday here kinda shows the character of the man, and really the whole staff. Like, a random thread on a semi-popular forum and the EIC of the site took the time out to make sure we weren't worried about Waypoint's future? Wow. It made me reflect on being too harsh on them and being a bit snide at times. I wouldn't be posting here if I wasn't a fan.

Still gonna call BS on obvious BS when I see it, though. Too many people try to dress personal dislike of people or creeds, be it Waypoint staff or people like Ben and Abby over at Giant Bomb, with arguments I can absolutely see are not being made in good faith. Sometimes it's obvious because of the wording, the repetition of targeting someone or that it appears to be a very negative drive-by comment. At times it's a bit of all of the above. It's never as simple as just someone being critical and I feel like I have a pretty good read on these things because in my experience the types of people I'm talking about aren't very good at hiding their intentions.

That seriously pisses me off because it's petty, stupid and at times hateful to people I think are genuinely good and trying their best. If I was on the receiving end I couldn't say it wouldn't effect me in some way. That has no place here. Lift people up, don't try to push them down.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I misspoke. It wasn't consistently about him defending the site, and it was the thing about "they're just upsetting themselves" that kind of turned me off this thread in the first place. What I should've said was that it was when he disagreed with someone.

And I haven't noticed you being a part of it, for what it's worth!

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sheep if a lot of people think your calibration is off, I dunno, maybe reflect on that instead of digging in with "I can absolutely see the truth."

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sheep if a lot of people think your calibration is off, I dunno, maybe reflect on that instead of digging in with "I can absolutely see the truth."

Yeah, I'm sorry but I think theres's some ulterior motives with you posting this after me pulling you up on your Natalie comment not so long ago and you being vocally upset about it.

For what it's worth I'm certainly not grouping you with the person yesterday and I even took the time to respectfully reply to your PM at the time detailing both why I had an issue and why my wording may not have been perfect. Which you didn't respond to, by the way.

None of which really syncs up with your attempt to paint me as some unwavering, cocksure arbiter of 'truth', and that's most certainly not what my last post in this thread is, either, and I'd be fairly confident most would be able to see that.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
But you portray yourself that way. Your perception of what is bad-faith criticism has absolutely no reality check, though—you decide someone is arguing in bad faith, then pat yourself on the back for your own 'successful' read, but at no point is there any external corroboration.

You seem to see yourself as some kind of arbiter of propriety. You have dismissed everything I've said on the basis that you don't agree with it—it isn't convenient for you to believe because it isn't consistent with what you believe about yourself. Fine. But as someone with no grudge and no vested interest in your self-image, with absolutely no 'ulterior motive', who doesn't know you at all, I have consistently been struck by how needlessly condescending you are to people that have done absolutely nothing to warrant it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
sheep you're being a butt

you can trust me

i'm a lawyer

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Natalie: "That movie, Organization 8, with Brad Pitt and George Clooney."

Austin: "Ocean's 8................"

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No, me too. I can't listen to this podcast in my car because of how bad the mixing is, too. Like Patrick is super loud, then Austin is a lot lower, and then Natalie is barely audible when I'm driving. The mixing sucks.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
No, me too. I can't listen to this podcast in my car because of how bad the mixing is, too. Like Patrick is super loud, then Austin is a lot lower, and then Natalie is barely audible when I'm driving. The mixing sucks.

Yeah they definitely aren't all level. Wish they would pay more attention to it seeing that seems to be their focus now.