• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I haven't finished Inquisition, but is the lore all that interesting? Origins was pretty...standard, and DA2 gestured at getting weird but never really got there.
inquisition delivers on the da lore in a pretty big way, revealing aspects of the setting secretly set in stone years earlier

it's... good

I'd even settle for a short segment on the nature of kirkwall tbh

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That's it I'm rewatching all of GuP, the OVAs and the movie

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't finished Inquisition, but is the lore all that interesting? Origins was pretty...standard, and DA2 gestured at getting weird but never really got there.
Before Inquisition and its DLC, I was utterly indifferent to Dragon Age as a fantasy setting; it's now one of my favourites. The lore really went places in that game, and it wasn't all siloed off into codex entries or whatever either.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
oh.

can i skip 2 and go straight to inquisition?

i've been meaning to try out ea access for a while now

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
oh.

Even as far as I've played of Inquisition (around half I think?) there's parts of DA2 and especially its expansion that really factor into DAI.

Edit: Oh, right, it was the Deep Roads redux that led me to bailing out. Goddamn caves.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
oh.

you can, tho it'd probably be worth reading a basic plot summary to understand how the events of Inquisition are set up by stuff from DA2, and gain some insight into the - relatively small number - of significant returning characters.

Personally though, I actually like DA2 more than Inquisition, overall, sooooooo I'd say play it if you haven't? (to be clear, that isn't some kind of diss on Inquisition; I genuinely like DA2 a lot, in spite of how rushed it was. I bounced off it hard at launch, but replaying it in the run up to playing Inquisition for the first time really gave me a new appreciation for how many great ideas it had, and how it was willing to break from the traditional BioWare plot formula.)

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
you can, tho it'd probably be worth reading a basic plot summary to understand how the events of Inquisition are set up by stuff from DA2, and gain some insight into the - relatively small number - of significant returning characters.

Personally though, I actually like DA2 more than Inquisition, overall, sooooooo... (to be clear, that isn't some kind of diss on Inqusition; I genuinely like DA2 a lot, in spite of how rushed it was,)
Plus if you skip DA2 you never get to meet this motherfucker
maxresdefault.jpg

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I played dragon age so long ago I barely remember any of it

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
dragon age 2 good

Edit:
god, the deep roads in da:o suuuck

not just cuz it's a never ending series of overly long dungeons, but cuz that's all anyone talks about for that section of the game
no one ever talks about how good the world building for the dwarves is, the political machinations and how the two dwarven origins frame that choice in vastly different ways (BEST ORIGINS IN THE GAME!!!), or the super creepy reveal of the where darkspawn come from

Edit 2:
ahhhhh
going back to orzammar, reuniting with your sister, who has married the prince and had a baby and is now living in the royal palace and not in the slums.... and then seeing your mother also living in the palace and realizing that, despite all of this, she's still the same bitter, abusive alcoholic she was when you were banished from the city, thought never to return
fuuuuuck

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I never thought I would see other people who liked DA2, let alone liked it more than Inquisition.

I really need to playthrough the series again someday. Especially since I remember very little about the first game.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I can't follow y'all down this Dragon Age 2 road. I'm someone that likes a lot of that game in spite of its flaws but it is absolutely the "worst" of the three. I think the final act is a giant mess (and I like Anders' decision and that sort of action being taken out of your hands) and it suffers with Inquisition in having a lot of hit and miss party members.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved DA:O, but I found most of the lore pretty boring until DA:I. All of the interesting lore in the previous games were apparently in the codex entries, but fuck reading all of that.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
That would be rad but I wonder how easy it is to actually unravel that stuff without playing for a lot of real life time, based on what I've heard about it (and the very little I played of it myself).

i played a lot for a time like five or seven years ago. really happy failbetter has gone to make games that are bigger and probably more popular. a bit sad i don't enjoy them very much though, at least not seas. i'll give skies a shake.

anyway ya'll ready for natalie's take on fire emblem harry potter edition

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I must have seen some version of this statement a couple dozen times by now and every time I say I'll play the DLC and never do.

Way back when I remember hoping GB would do something with it so I could at least see the content and that didn't happen, then Natalie starting the game gave me hope that I'd finally see it and that aint happening either. I think I'm just fated to never see that DLC.
So I now have seen that they played a couple hours during the final Lobby 1 stream, and she's actually nearly there. Based on where Natalie is right now, she could do two bosses and then have a couple side areas she could likely skip before hitting the DLC. Like, she's pretty damn close to the end. I am now going to be wishing even harder for them to finish that out.

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the same when I played it. You had to know what was coming beforehand otherwise you were fucked. It didn't feel nearly as organic as Princess Maker.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I looked up that Serenity movie and I so want to watch it now

When it comes to home video, I'm not going out of my way to see it

I'm not daft, like

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play much LLTQ but it did really feel like you had to know exactly what stats were going to be changed by what and were needed for what, etc.

which means not a ton of room to explore/RP, hmm

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I didn't play much LLTQ but it did really feel like you had to know exactly what stats were going to be changed by what and were needed for what, etc.

which means not a ton of room to explore/RP, hmm
Yeah, it's punishingly hard, which is kind of darkly humorous the first couple of times (the game leans into it with an achievement for dying, too) but it really limits your ability to explore the game's boundaries.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
If they continue Lore Reasons, I hope it's something unique they can really dig into. Hopefully not the popular memey shit like mgs.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they continue Lore Reasons, I hope it's something unique they can really dig into. Hopefully not the popular memey shit like mgs.

Oh god does Lore Reasons already have people gatekeeping the purity of something that started with the most 'memey' series imaginable?

Let 'em do whatever they want to do and judge the results rather than your imagined idea what the results are going to be, that's what I say.

MGS is probably the single best fit for what Lore Reasons is, so that's a weird one to target in the first place.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
seeing drew grasp the stupid story was amazing, so seeing natalie grasp the stupid story based on nothing but youtube videos will be great (if it happens)

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god does Lore Reasons already have people gatekeeping the purity of something that started with the most 'memey' series imaginable?

Let 'em do whatever they want to do and judge the results rather than your imagined idea what the results are going to be, that's what I say.

MGS is probably the single best fit for what Lore Reasons is, so that's a weird one to target in the first place.
My only concern is that Lore Reasons feels like a great way to uncover weird shit in a series. The KH games are perfect for that because, really, who played all those games? I bet most people played 1 and 2 and that was it.

Then again, I'm probably wrong.

That said, your main point is right. I want to follow them with whatever topic they think is most interesting. Not sure I'd want them to humor our interests because their hearts wouldn't be in it.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only concern is that Lore Reasons feels like a great way to uncover weird shit in a series. The KH games are perfect for that because, really, who played all those games? I bet most people played 1 and 2 and that was it.

Then again, I'm probably wrong.

That said, your main point is right. I want to follow them with whatever topic they think is most interesting. Not sure I'd want them to humor our interests because their hearts wouldn't be in it.

I think the fun comes from they putting in legwork to try to understand something they aren't aware of or simply didn't put the time into before now. It strikes a sweet tone between earnestly trying to understand the story and having a bit of fun with the more weird parts.

Not having much attachment to the series in question is actually a plus point for the sheer fun of discovery it brings with it. This would be a very different show if they all knew something and liked it, I see it working best as a sort of show-and-tell where maybe one or two people know about the topic but it's the newbies who have to try to stumble through explaining what it is.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the fun comes from they putting in legwork to try to understand something they aren't aware of or simply didn't put the time into before now. It strikes a sweet tone between earnestly trying to understand the story and having a bit of fun with the more weird parts.

Not having much attachment to the series in question is actually a plus point for the sheer fun of discovery it brings with it. This would be a very different show if they all knew something and liked it, I see it working best as a sort of show-and-tell where maybe one or two people know about the topic but it's the newbies who have to try to stumble through explaining what it is.
Oh sure! I wasn't exactly clear with what I meant. Like, I've never played a Star Ocean game, so I'd be really curious and excited to read that shit and try to put it together with my friends. But if some internet randos demanded I do--I don't know--Kirby games, my heart wouldn't be in it from the start.

I hope that makes a bit more sense :)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
actually a lore reasons kirby would be great probably. there's a surprising amount of cosmic horror in those games... or so i understand.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh sure! I wasn't exactly clear with what I meant. Like, I've never played a Star Ocean game, so I'd be really curious and excited to read that shit and try to put it together with my friends. But if some internet randos demanded I do--I don't know--Kirby games, my heart wouldn't be in it from the start.

I hope that makes a bit more sense :)

Oh, totally! I'm sure we both just want more fun podcasts that they both enjoyed recording and we enjoyed listening to like the KH ones. I think they're onto a winner with the basic concept though so I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next hit.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
actually a lore reasons kirby would be great probably. there's a surprising amount of cosmic horror in those games... or so i understand.
Yep. I think it could be a cool Lore Reasons--but if I were putting the research together, I'd have to fight a bit of an uphill battle. So I want them to follow their interest. Hit up the game series that jump out to them as exciting or funny or just plain in need of a discussion, you know?