• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like this tweet has waypoint energy (in a less depressing direction)

Oct 25, 2017
The latest Pride and Prejudice cast has a really great Rob losing it laugh. Also 'yo fuck me up nature' would be a good title when this thread gets to ot2 in like 5 years.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. They did a pivot to podcasts. Also, Vice did a reorg recently. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing Waypoint and, say, Motherboard moving closer together / crossing over.
Motherboard have been doing a lot of general video games coverage lately so that wouldn't be surprising. Not a lot of long form stuff like Waypoint, but like news reporting. They do have a longer opinion piece right now on Stavia and game preservation/modding.

only if patrick hosts
patchrick

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh my god i need danielle (and everybody's) reaction to a new vampire the masquerade game YESTERDAY

SirDancelot

Oct 29, 2017
"The_Callum_Defender has logged on"

I was a bit bummed by the recent waypoints focusing extensively on Callum (who is fine with me, maybe a bit of a savior thing but I still trust them to do right by him). I enjoyed S2 of the Dragon Prince (who is a dragon) and just wish it had been about twice as long. Maybe I'm reading into it but it did seem like Rob had some more points to make but ended up getting talked over a fair bit.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
they've still got 2 P&P eps + Spider-verse to cover

shadow drops gotta wait

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I would buy a shirt with Rob's face on it. WHERE'S THE WAYPOINT MERCH
I would wear a shirt with this photo on it
Dfl5QiGVMAAukcE.jpg

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take: the posture system is just stamina and it's not that wild of a departure from "soulslike" design

In Smash, just because your percent goes up and not down doesn't mean it's not health

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh depends on the enemy. Some of them recover posture quickly at full health and consistently parry your straight-forward attacks. So you gotta dodge -> attack to weaken them, then parry them to break their posture.

Patrick's article about the Spear mini-boss today was kind of funny. I just beat that guy last night. The stomp-counter has a super-forgiving window. It's whack that you need to unlock / upgrade it though.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I know the argument is that their posture goes back to normal, but theoretically if you did just do chip damage, the lower they get the easier it is to build posture so it all... shakes out

Thing is there is no reason to not be relentless. The more aggressive you are the more openings they give, and your defensive options are not limited by your aggression.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Natalie on the latest Waypoints really reminded me of Stewart in this Flophouse bit: (Spoilers for the movie Mirrors I guess?)

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Patrick will take us into the Dragged Across Concrete discourse. I'm pretty sure he watched Bone Tomahawk.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I fell off during episode 4 so I'm suddenly doing catchup for the spoilercast

not sure if I'll save philosophy podcast for after but I wanna listen to some of the regular radio episodes I skipped due to not wanting spoilers, at least, before I listen

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Kingdom Hearts fans, I'm happy y'all are getting yours, but I am more than ready for them to move on to something new. I hope that KH3 pod is the last one.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts fans, I'm happy y'all are getting yours, but I am more than ready for them to move on to something new. I hope that KH3 pod is the last one.
It's not the last one if I understood correctly. Don't blame the crew blame Nomura for making so much material ;). What's left is their pax panel which is KH trivia battle or something and a listener sendin episode.

SirDancelot

Oct 29, 2017
I was here for the KH coverage but I agree, I'd prefer to move on by now. Especially since nobody seemed to play KH3? I guess Natalie did but I don't know if Patrick finished it.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
something that was easy to miss in the secret movie
the piano at this part is very similar to the main theme from Versus/FFXV

does it mean anything? maybe not but it's weird!

The movie is named Yozora, and Verum Rex is clearly based on Versus 13/15.

so at worst Riku's probably in that world, if not actually going to one of them

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
The movie is named Yozora, and Verum Rex is clearly based on Versus 13/15.

so at worst Riku's probably in that world, if not actually going to one of them
I think it's worth noting cuz the verum rex trailer's music doesn't sound like anything from versus

I don't know if it's an intentional callback but, if it is, pretty much anything this is leading to will probably be amazing

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Also Austin's Sekiro take is boring.

It's really not that different from Souls games.
This feels like a much more boring take because for it to be true you would have to adopt a reductionist perspective of both games.
Such reductionist perspectives generally delivers really bad takes ala Horizon is just a bad version of Zelda Breath of the Wild.
By not acknowledging the differences of both and instead only squaring off any similarities I think you're also generally more likely to misidentify a given design intention of any given game. Such as basically devaluing Horizon's goal of placing more weight on delivering a narrative instead in that example you only measure it's worth by it's ability to deliver freedom of exploration to the player compared to botw.

Basically not sure how you would get more different or even interesting takes if you just operate under a perspective that seeks more to square off similarities than recognize differences between two given things. *shrug*

Of course I would disagree. Sekiro has been a very different experience for me than any of the Souls games. The same way that Hollow Knight or Nioh were different experiences to them despite adopting similar systems as frameworks.
Also playing Sekiro did nothing to sate my want for a Fromsoft Souls experience. I still want Bloodborne 2 pretty badly. While I enjoyed Sekiro the most out of anything this year so far I wouldn't be that wild personally about a sekiro 2.

Last edited: