• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Really bummed about Natalie leaving but best wishes to her on her next role. It is also a huge bummer that both women are leaving the site, even though Danielle at vice.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
honestly Natalie leaving is maybe a slightly more worrying thing because I feel like she was a big part of the energy they were hitting lately

but Cado's def. part of that too, and I think they can keep it up still, so hopefully it's not too rough of an adjustment

Wait why the fuck are they talking about snow halation

Are we love live now

it got played at every _:33 minute mark during Savepoint

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Ooofff, after listening to that last podcast... yeah, this has been a more significant change than I think most of us realized. Like, I've been through 2 big corporate "restructurings" that ended up being far bigger than anyone who worked there anticipated. And the way everyone was talking felt a LOT like that. Leadership will tell you things like, "Yes, we have to make significant changes to move forward, but YOUR division is doing well and is fundamental to where we're going. EVERYONE here still has a job! Just... you can't hire anyone new for a while, not till things settle. No, not even if people who are spooked by all the layoffs in other divisions start to look elsewhere. And we're going to reassign a couple of your people to fit with our new allignment. It's not a big deal, just streamlining."

Basically, Danielle being reassigned (mostly) away from Waypoint and Austin being (basically) demoted... and now Natalie leaving (another big IF= if she's not replaced), implies that Vice Games is a pretty big change from Waypoint. Doesn't mean that everyone left can't still carry on those Waypoint ideals and create something awesome that succeeds, especially with all the new resources from Motherboard et al. But it's concerning.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
see the only hope is for waypoint to eat vice games. but i doubt it.

im just gonna enjoy whats left of this ride

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
not sure if mentioned but waypoint was also one of the few places to hear MORE THAN ONE WOMAN ON A GAMING PODCAST AT A TIME

yeah, that's definitely one of the things that makes Natalie leaving a big bummer

I'm getting flashbacks to Sarah leaving 8-4 Play - to this day, I can feel the downgrade of the shift to an all-male podcast

at least in this case, Danielle will bless us with her presence once in awhile (also, I definitely see Austin making more of an effort to get female voices on the pod)

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to post doom and gloom yesterday by saying "nothing changes with this restructuring" is usually a corporate lie but it's obvious now that things will change quite a bit.

But as long as they can do the podcasts, and it sounds like they will, this will be fine. They have already needed to scale back their other stuff by a lot anyway and their articles being on vice gaming might get a few more eyeballs on them than on the old site.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
If Waypoint does eventually go under please sign me up for the highest tier of the Rob, Danielle and Austin playing Stellaris every day Patreon

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
All this recent news has been a little frustrating, because more focus on games (and politics in games) is what I wanted from Waypoint in recent years, and refocusing sounded good to me, but getting folded in like this feels like a bit of a Monkey's Paw.
I think mostly what I wanted to see out of Waypoint was less Sports and Non-Game Related Politics. Be Good and Rewatch It was wonderful, and that kind of deep dive criticism from people I already enjoyed listening to was great, even if I hadn't seen the discussed topics (like the Purge films). It does make me think about why I'm happy to engage with that from Waypoint but less likely to get into it from other sources, though. I almost need critics to bring me in via video game discussion before I consider listening to film criticism, and that's part of myself I'm not entirely happy with.

Regardless, I'll likely stick with the crew whatever at this point, and hope that they can continue being a distinct voice in video game criticism, who actually treat games as seriously as art deserves.

Oct 25, 2017
vice's hompage is bonkers. Royal baby rankings, riot employee walkouts, the Mormon church hiding sexual abuse accusations and the kink where you put ginger into your butt.
Yeah, not a fan of that homepage at all. It's also dropping me into my "local VICE" every time.

edit:
sstCPTR.png

Oh boy

For some reason I feel like that article will come up the next time they are critical of a popular game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a timestamped list of games they played during the 36-hour marathon? I'd love to check out some of the stuff they did.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Huh, I didn't even know Twitch had that kind of functionality. Thanks!
Me either until I went back and watched a bunch of Save Point I missed.

I think part of it is Cado and the crew being very on point with their stream setup and keeping Twitch updated, because the functionality has apparently existed for around a year but I've never seen anyone else use it.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Me either until I went back and watched a bunch of Save Point I missed.

I think part of it is Cado and the crew being very on point with their stream setup and keeping Twitch updated, because the functionality has apparently existed for around a year but I've never seen anyone else use it.
I think you can only access the chapter stuff from the desktop version which is pretty annoying since I mostly watch Twitch from the PS4 app.

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
So I was thinking about this yesterday - doesn't the fact that Waypoint is now just a part of Vice as a whole, does it really matter if they did Be Good and Rewatch It? It diverging from what their main focus is should have no affect as it would just fall under Vice and not necessarily Waypoint or Vice Gaming right? It could just show up on the front page or wherever as a podcast about a movie or whatever. If anything, it would expand the audience, not limit it.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was thinking about this yesterday - doesn't the fact that Waypoint is now just a part of Vice as a whole, does it really matter if they did Be Good and Rewatch It? It diverging from what their main focus is should have no affect as it would just fall under Vice and not necessarily Waypoint or Vice Gaming right? It could just show up on the front page or wherever as a podcast about a movie or whatever. If anything, it would expand the audience, not limit it.
I don't know that a multiple episode analysis podcast about a 24 year-old British television adaptation of a 206 year-old novel necessarily screams "VICE".

I still don't have much of a grasp of what this change means. Does it mean we stop seeing articles from Walker, Zacny et al.? Does it mean they start writing about more than just games? Does it mean folks who would normally write about food for VICE start weighing in on crunch at Rockstar? Does it start to mean who shows up on the podcast is way more of a toss-up? Having a hard time gathering a tangible grasp of this change aside from just the name and URL.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
I don't know how this will affect their output short term or long term

but, from the podcast, it sounds like they'll be better equipped to cover breaking news stories pooling their resources with motherboard and other vice outlets

the riot walk out article from yesterday is probably the first example of that

side note: very bizarre seeing an ad for mk11 in the middle of that article but thaaaaaat's advertising algorithms

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
how was natalie's bloodborne playthrough? My engagement with waypoint as a website has been pretty minimal, just the odd random video here or there, but they did a full playthrough of bloodborne with natalie playing and I assume the others watching and talking?

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
It's a really fun playthrough overall and a fairly great "natural" playthrough with some helpful hints here and there that doesn't feel like it's back-seat gamed to hell like some other Souls playthrough LPs tend to be. Austin and Danielle obviously help here and there but it isn't too intense as to feel like it takes away from Natalie's personal growth or exploration (partly due to Austin and Danielle only generally remembering Bloodborne and not having crazy specific memories of the game).

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that a multiple episode analysis podcast about a 24 year-old British television adaptation of a 206 year-old novel necessarily screams "VICE".

I still don't have much of a grasp of what this change means. Does it mean we stop seeing articles from Walker, Zacny et al.? Does it mean they start writing about more than just games? Does it mean folks who would normally write about food for VICE start weighing in on crunch at Rockstar? Does it start to mean who shows up on the podcast is way more of a toss-up? Having a hard time gathering a tangible grasp of this change aside from just the name and URL.

It sounds to me like the podcast remains as is, we maaaaaybe see a bit more writing from them all since BG&RI is gone, and beyond that they can also make use of some Motherboard writers. Maybe that goes the other way too - if something they write is more Tech focused, it could be over there instead of Games, I guess?

The key bit is that overall One Vice stuff aside, it's specifically Tech that Games is tied to very directly now, so I don't think they'll just be pulling writers from all over the place. Not saying it's impossible that they're be able to make use of them for appropriate topics, but by the sound of it I do think it'd mostly be Tech writers.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only important thread anyway. Got to get boost the pages up for OT2 now after the podcast mention.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing Natalie sucks. I wonder what she'll be doing. In games but not media or development? So PR or something?

Danielle being less involved is... you know my opinion

Being part of VICE... is what they were before

How long were they going to stay autonomous doing podcasts on BBC adaptations, really?

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Think Austin mentioned it on the Waypoint Discord but it was something like Deputy Editor - Tech & Games

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought the reason he left was because he got a chance to be editor-in-chief, which is a much higher position.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
May as well go back to Giant Bomb with that title
I dunno what kind of shift in responsibilities the new title entails, but he always felt overqualified to be at GB. He's overqualified for anything short of running his own show with full authorial and editorial control imo. If the Vice thing ever didn't work out I would love to hope the Waypoint community would be able to float a Patreon based business surrounding the core crew, and it would give them more license to do the weird shit their fans love like the P&P podcast, and running random streams. I dunno, I've felt like they've already spent the last few years juggling the type of content they've wanted to produce vs. the profit based expectations of their Vice overlords and it has lead to them being forced to drop a lot of fan favorite stuff. Like honestly I'm still not over the loss of regular streams. There are not enough collaborative game streaming creators out there.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
It's still bizarre to me that with all the turmoil going on at Vice, Waypoint Radio is still listed under "Arts & Design" on Apple Podcasts instead of "Games & Hobbies". So anyone browsing the categories looking for a new show on games will never come across it. You'd think at one point in this realignment someone would say, "Hey, it's probably better if we get as much exposure to a wider audience as possible."

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Ooofff, after listening to that last podcast... yeah, this has been a more significant change than I think most of us realized. Like, I've been through 2 big corporate "restructurings" that ended up being far bigger than anyone who worked there anticipated. And the way everyone was talking felt a LOT like that. Leadership will tell you things like, "Yes, we have to make significant changes to move forward, but YOUR division is doing well and is fundamental to where we're going. EVERYONE here still has a job! Just... you can't hire anyone new for a while, not till things settle. No, not even if people who are spooked by all the layoffs in other divisions start to look elsewhere. And we're going to reassign a couple of your people to fit with our new allignment. It's not a big deal, just streamlining."

Basically, Danielle being reassigned (mostly) away from Waypoint and Austin being (basically) demoted... and now Natalie leaving (another big IF= if she's not replaced), implies that Vice Games is a pretty big change from Waypoint. Doesn't mean that everyone left can't still carry on those Waypoint ideals and create something awesome that succeeds, especially with all the new resources from Motherboard et al. But it's concerning.
This is exactly what this seems like to me. It feels like the beginning of the end. I'm guessing the rest will slowly leave.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly what this seems like to me. It feels like the beginning of the end. I'm guessing the rest will slowly leave.

I doubt it . Both patrick and rob have pretty nice jobs where they can work from home with a steady salary. Danielle seems to have recently started this new job and Cado just seems really happy to be working there generally.