• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
So this is sort of off topic, but towards the end of Day 2 Waypoint E3 podcast Austin Walker called himself "a queer black man" did I miss Austin coming out? Has this been addressed somewhere else? I'd be estactic if that's the case I'm just sure I would have noticed if this was addressed previously. Anyone?

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like he's kinda hinted previously but I don't think he's ever outright stated it? Could be wrong though, but it's not really surprising to me.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
He's said it before, but he never publicly stated much more than that. It's clear he doesn't want public scrutiny about his private life.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So this is sort of off topic, but towards the end of Day 2 Waypoint E3 podcast Austin Walker called himself "a queer black man" did I miss Austin coming out? Has this been addressed somewhere else? I'd be estactic if that's the case I'm just sure I would have noticed if this was addressed previously. Anyone?
He specifically brought this up in his forum posts around the time of the Fanfiction controversy at GOTY 2 years ago, not as a defense of the item, but as part of the response to the fact that even though the Waypoint staff at the time was diverse, they weren't able to cover every single perspective and that they needed to do a better job

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

*fades back into lurking*
Thank you!

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after listening to all of the nintendo episode it makes more sense why Rob looked a bit zoned out having no real interest in Nintendo (but happy for those that do). Makes a bit more sense haha.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if lore reason plans changed after the whole vice thing. Or maybe the last episode wasn't that long ago and I'm just impatient but I feel like Patrick said they were aiming to settle on the future of it within the next couple of weeks in the last episode.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if lore reason plans changed after the whole vice thing. Or maybe the last episode wasn't that long ago and I'm just impatient but I feel like Patrick said they were aiming to settle on the future of it within the next couple of weeks in the last episode.

In some point in the E3 podcasts, I believe they mention that Natalie leaving disrupted their plans for the one they were doing next. It sounded like they still want to do one soon, though.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should lure Patrick into playing Shibuya Scramble. If he still has that soft spot for VNs because of 999/Dangan Ronpa I feel like that one might hit with him even though in certain ways it's waaaaaaaay more down to earth.

But at the same time it has that top tier Japanese goofiness.

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint E3 output was really good; too bad Natalie/Danika couldn't jump on more towards the end.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should lure Patrick into playing Shibuya Scramble. If he still has that soft spot for VNs because of 999/Dangan Ronpa I feel like that one might hit with him even though in certain ways it's waaaaaaaay more down to earth.

But at the same time it has that top tier Japanese goofiness.

428 was legitimately my GOTY last year, so I'd certainly love to see at least one of them play it. (And though it's a bit more of a stretch, now that Fata Morgana's on PS4...)

I'm guessing he'll play Somnium Files later this year, so maybe we'll be lucky and he'll be reminded enough of ZE and think of VNs again...

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
428 was legitimately my GOTY last year, so I'd certainly love to see at least one of them play it. (And though it's a bit more of a stretch, now that Fata Morgana's on PS4...)

I'm guessing he'll play Somnium Files later this year, so maybe we'll be lucky and he'll be reminded enough of ZE and think of VNs again...
I'm going through it now and having a really good time(in the 16-17 block). The visual aspect of this game is weirdly amazing everyone bringing their S+ game to the photo shoots.
I will say though mechanically it sucks as a VN. I seriously regret getting the game on PS4 because of the slow text and very bad usability hiccups like not being able to call up the timeline view when auto play is enabled, guide tips always showing when you go to the bad end log and a lot of other weird stuff.
Srsly wish I could just run it on PC and speedhack the game with cheat engine would make reading 200% less of a slog since I'm used to reading fast and this game makes me wait on text A LOT.

But the content itself has been so good I'm going to stick with it and probably see everything.

Gene

Oct 25, 2017
428 was my GOTY last year also, and I was bummed that it got almost no coverage from any of the outlets I follow. It's great from the start, so I feel like anyone that finishes the first chapter (or the PS4 demo) will know whether the game is for them or not.

That being said, I think The MISSING would produce more interesting / relevant discussion if the crew ever finds time to go back and finish it.

I don't post here very often so I don't want this whole thing to be complaints. I loved the E3 pods and I feel like the team has a great balance between talking about games and their context / intent.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Fire Emblem Three Houses in the podcast description and got excited. Now disappointed that Austin didn't get to talk about Fire Emblem for more than five seconds before getting interrupted again. I wanted to hear more of his thoughts on it.

cmdiego

Oct 25, 2017
There is a podcast titled Blank Check with David and Griffin, and they did a pretty good series on the Matrix films a number of years ago. You should check it out.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
shame natalie didn't finish watching it, really liked the roller coaster of emotions

on a related note, I know people can just pause a movie and get back to it later, but if I'm committed to watching a movie, I'm watching the whole thing in one sitting. probably why I don't watch a lot of movies, tbh

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
shame natalie didn't finish watching it, really liked the roller coaster of emotions

on a related note, I know people can just pause a movie and get back to it later, but if I'm committed to watching a movie, I'm watching the whole thing in one sitting. probably why I don't watch a lot of movies, tbh

same

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
purchased a movies anywhere code from somewhere for $20 so I guess I have the matrix trilogy digitally now. gotta actually find time to rewatch them all

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also watched The Matrix last night (or as much of it as I could before I fell asleep) because it's leaving Netflix's streaming catalogue on July 1 and because Natalie was watching it.

In other news, the Evangelion #content drops have begun.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That said, I need Rob Zacny to break down the NERV's and the Japanese Self-Defense Force's tactics against implacable enemies like the Angels in Evangelion.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately that's last November's episode, but I might listen to it again anyway before rewatching the series this weekend.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that Austin won't try to frame this rewatch around "we could have made them look like anything, but we made them look like us" because that's the opposite of what we did in this case.... and, honestly, they could have made us look like anything, but they made us look like them.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be really hard to have characters with different skins in a game like battlefield 5 that uses dedicated servers? So unless you had separate servers for player in Germany and anywhere else with censorship laws.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope that Austin won't try to frame this rewatch around "we could have made them look like anything, but we made them look like us" because that's the opposite of what we did in this case.... and, honestly, they could have made us look like anything, but they made us look like them.
I mean he already brings that up in the first episode so

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be really hard to have characters with different skins in a game like battlefield 5 that uses dedicated servers? So unless you had separate servers for player in Germany and anywhere else with censorship laws.
That's usually not dictated by the server, that could be replaced locally.

I forgot which one, but there was a shooter that always made it look like you play the "good" guys. On both sides. So your opponent would look at his screen and see GI Joe shooting terrorists and you were seeing the same thing on yours, but you were still playing against eachother.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I forgot which one, but there was a shooter that always made it look like you play the "good" guys. On both sides. So your opponent would look at his screen and see GI Joe shooting terrorists and you were seeing the same thing on yours, but you were still playing against eachother.
Wasn't that America's Army?

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't that America's Army?

America's Army did that making everyone see themselves as Americans. The implications of that are... problematic. But of course that game was a pure propaganda/recruitment tool.

Team Fortress 2 also did the thing where your team is always the blue team, and red the enemy. A lot of games have adopted that later, like Overwatch (I think). In Splatoon your team is always named literally the "Good guys" vs. the "Bad guys". They also randomize the colour palettes so there's not a clear good vs. evil.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am irrationally angry that waypoint thread about racism and the epic game store got closed before I got to post my response to that drivel.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've always pronounced Namor as Nam-or... Nay-mor sounds soooooo wrong.

I've never in my life heard it the other way before this life-shattering Day 1 episode of WPR.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
So Eva on Netflix sucks
I'm honestly finding the discussion about the new vs old dubs on here and everywhere else pretty tedious as a complete newcomer. Feels like it's completely steamrolling discussion about anything else. Wish there was a thread about Eva for complete newcomers without that or any of the constant "tehehe can't wait till people get to THAT bit" stuff from the "experts" who've watched dit before.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So Eva on Netflix sucks
I have to say, I had thought that the initial discourse upon release was going to be about how the show sexualizes children, not about music licensing issues and translations changes.
There is actually a ton to unpack here for people who are viewing this just as a new show on netflix, and not as a rerelease of an anime they have heard about or loved for years- are they going to care that they changed the song for the credits (that they didn't even know existed?)? Are they going to care that the next episode previews are gone, because the next episode will have already started to autoplay unless you use the remote manually each episode?