• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i want rob zacny and austin to talk about shirobako

EVERY PODCAST BECOMES AN ANIME PODCAST LET'S GO

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it's honestly one of my favourite series though it's more on the idealistic side of looking at life in a creative industry. it's a workplace drama that really puts the joy of helping make something front and center, though still tinged with the realities of office politics, securing funding, working with occasionally shitty teammates and publishers, and the ongoing shitstorm that is getting anything to happen right ever.

the character designs for all the lead girls is awful moeblob stuff unfortunately which you look past eventually, but it really stands out next to all the other characters who are largely specific caricatures of actual people in the industry

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Sadly if we ever get another anime deep dive I think it'll have to be on Netflix. My guess is the only way they were able to convince their superiors at Vice to allow the Eva rewatch is the combo of how big a fan base it already has and how many new people just got access to it.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
So basically, Netflix needs to start getting World Masterpiece Theater shows.
Maybe they'll do a version of Pride and Prejudice one day.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly if we ever get another anime deep dive I think it'll have to be on Netflix. My guess is the only way they were able to convince their superiors at Vice to allow the Eva rewatch is the combo of how big a fan base it already has and how many new people just got access to it.
I don't think they convinced anyone of anything. I think they just did it.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
if netflix has the gurren-hen and lagann-hen recap movies they could do a single waypoints on the gurren lagann series. but i'd rather them cover devilman crybaby if they a) want to do more anime and b) are restricted to netflix

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I don't think they convinced anyone of anything. I think they just did it.

After being specifically told to shut down the Be Good and Rewatch It pod? Gotta disagree. Back when Austin was EIC I think they'd take that risk. Now at the very least he ran it past whomever he reports to, with the justification that it wasn't going in a separate feed and Wednesdays were already used for Waypoints. Right after a big round of corporate restructuring and layoffs is a dangerous time to try to slip something by people who are watching you more closely.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
After being specifically told to shut down the Be Good and Rewatch It pod? Gotta disagree. Back when Austin was EIC I think they'd take that risk. Now at the very least he ran it past whomever he reports to, with the justification that it wasn't going in a separate feed and Wednesdays were already used for Waypoints. Right after a big round of corporate restructuring and layoffs is a dangerous time to try to slip something by people who are watching you more closely.
But I don't think they're slipping anything by. Waypoints is already the "not videogames" podcast so they kinda have carte blanche to do whatever with it, they're just giving up a month of talking about any random thing to focus on Eva with it. I doubt they had to clear it with anyone, because what would they say? "Look instead of football and where glitter comes from we're gonna talk about an anime for a few weeks"?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I just googled it and it looks like the anime equivalent of Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard.

Edit: TBH that's probably not fair but an anime about making anime seems recursive and lame. Is it actually good?

yeah, it fucking rules

strongly recommend; it's a nice look into how parts of making anime work (even if idealized) + office hijinks + early 20s trying to deal with your first job and chosen career

it's honestly one of my favourite series though it's more on the idealistic side of looking at life in a creative industry. it's a workplace drama that really puts the joy of helping make something front and center, though still tinged with the realities of office politics, securing funding, working with occasionally shitty teammates and publishers, and the ongoing shitstorm that is getting anything to happen right ever.

the character designs for all the lead girls is awful moeblob stuff unfortunately which you look past eventually, but it really stands out next to all the other characters who are largely specific caricatures of actual people in the industry

honestly the designs look fine even in that context to me?

maybe I'm conditioned to moeblobs though

TheMathyFolf

Oct 27, 2017
whispers all systems shirobako

I'll add it to my list of things to watch, sounds interesting.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also Rob teased watching girls und panzers ages ago but nothing ever came of it.

I would love to hear him talk about it some day because I just rewatched the movie and it's rad as hell but there's still a sense of 100% sanitising war fetishism by reframing it as cute girls and sports drama

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to their EVA eps1-7 talk and it's giving me the itch to watch it again. But honestly I think I get more enjoyment listening to the crew talk about it than I would watching it. I didn't really care for the series when I first watched it many years ago, so part of me is curious if I'd get more out of it now that I'm older. Hearing Robb get excited about the sniper rifle scene was great.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Next EVA podcast is 14 - 19, one after that is 20 - 24, after that is 25, 26 and End of Evangelion.
If they really pushed it they could have done it in two, but I guess we don't really need four hour podcasts outside of Giant Bomb's GotY discussions.

Edit: They suggest Misato gets her steak well done with ketchup? I take offense to that. My girl is into medium-rare/rare.

Sadly she's probably not cool enough to get it blue, but one can hope.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I want Jeff, Austin, Dan and Patrick to come together to take a deep dive into yuru camp(jeff actually watched that).

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a look over the next set of Eva episodes and boy howdy we gonna have some good times

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interrupting your normal Eva rewatch podcast talk to thank you all for introducing me to Shirobako. I mainlined a bunch of episodes yesterday and it's not only entertaining, it's gotten me to think about where I am in my career (not in animation, but with a lot of the same "everything's on fire" aspects) and what I actually want to do with it all. It's really sweet without feeling like it's just a bunch of shitty anime tropes mashed together.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
after finishing eva I forgot about this.....
evupYb.gif
I didn't want to remember..........

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interrupting your normal Eva rewatch podcast talk to thank you all for introducing me to Shirobako. I mainlined a bunch of episodes yesterday and it's not only entertaining, it's gotten me to think about where I am in my career (not in animation, but with a lot of the same "everything's on fire" aspects) and what I actually want to do with it all. It's really sweet without feeling like it's just a bunch of shitty anime tropes mashed together.

You're welcome! I think I will rewatch it lol.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017

Told you it's good. Can't wait for the movie to come out.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Oops I accidentally watched three episodes of shirobako

This show is so good

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm watching it for the first time and that comic still rings pretty true. The culture at large sure doth protest too much when it comes to these obviously traumatized child soldiers

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know really what to think about Eva. I respect it and people's reverence for it but I think I just kinda hate it and its obsession with its (Anno's?) own depression. Media that dwells in depression is media I am *very* picky about and have no real idea why some I enjoy (enjoy in the feel attached to sense) and some I find off putting or exploitative. I enjoy media about broken people but Eva for some reason is one I bounced off of hard. Maybe its desire to be so symbolic (towards the end and especially with End of Eva) rather than """REAL"""" is part of it.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
that's interesting. I think I also have a pretty low threshold for creative work that is centered on depression/anxiety and find a lot of it to be politically and aesthetically unbearable—like, Celeste's narrative, to me, was excruciating—but Eva's treatment of it is nuanced and interesting enough that I'm actually generally onboard. though i'm halfway through my first rewatch, too, and definitely wondering how much patience I'll have for some of the introspection I remember toward the end of the series.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
For context I've dealt with deep depression and suicidal thoughts for a decade now so I just am very particular with media that tackles it.