• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
fucking finally! nearly the whole working week be done waypoint ya'll trippin

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sort of undercuts your big quote-the-guy gotcha moment when you quote and emphasize the guy himself saying "Their intentions must be judged by their actions, not their words."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Omg I'm so proud of Waypoint, I just got my first Spotify ad on Waypoint Radio 246.

For a while I thougt this day would never come.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the other thing the eva rewatch has triggered off is a fierce desire to revisit all the other eva spinoffs and works that were tacked on to the side of eva, like the Shinji Ikari Raising Project (the main one I'm thinking of) or the one where they're all magical girls instead or some shit. Eva spinoffs are so off-continuity it's impressive.

/edit oh man i totally forgot about Angelic Days. I don't even remember the difference between this and the Raising Project

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I think I kinda realised why I disliked when I saw Eva back in the day listening to them.

I really didn't like how the show just went to such extremes to just completely shit on Asuka.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
the other thing the eva rewatch has triggered off is a fierce desire to revisit all the other eva spinoffs and works that were tacked on to the side of eva, like the Shinji Ikari Raising Project (the main one I'm thinking of) or the one where they're all magical girls instead or some shit. Eva spinoffs are so off-continuity it's impressive.

/edit oh man i totally forgot about Angelic Days. I don't even remember the difference between this and the Raising Project
It's like they saw what people were doing on Fanfiction.net or Archive of our Own and said "People REALLY like our characters", and just decided to do "official" fanfiction. Like, the series where Shinji is a detective?

Deleted member 2699

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved when Danielle brought up her two theories:

about how either Rei or Unit 01 was Shinji's mom. I just started cackling.

One thing I'm not completely sold on is the idea of them watching Episodes 25 & 26 and EoE together for the same podcast. I would really love to hear their thoughts on the show's ending devoid of the context of seeing EoE, but I get why they are doing it that way. If they did episodes 20-26 in one go the podcast would probably be even longer than this one. My suggestion would be that they should watch episodes 25 & 26, stop and record the first half of the podcast, then go and watch EoE, and record the second half. I understand why this probably wouldn't happen as it would probably be a nightmare to schedule.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Austin is so full of life in this series, and it makes the whole thing a joy to listen to.

I also loved Danielle's frustrations with Asuka. Her take was totally not at all what I expected, and it's a reminder of how much she brings to the show. I'm glad she got a vacation last week, but still wish we could've listened to her discussion the Kaji stuff in full. It would've been nice to have her when they were grappling with the show's problems with sexuality too.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
One thing I'm not completely sold on is the idea of them watching Episodes 25 & 26 and EoE together for the same podcast. I would really love to hear their thoughts on the show's ending devoid of the context of seeing EoE, but I get why they are doing it that way. If they did episodes 20-26 in one go the podcast would probably be even longer than this one. My suggestion would be that they should watch episodes 25 & 26, stop and record the first half of the podcast, then go and watch EoE, and record the second half. I understand why this probably wouldn't happen as it would probably be a nightmare to schedule.

Yeah, for the full fat experience they should really leave, oh, a year between 25/26 and EoE.

It's totally unfeasible, so I hope Cado and Austin are able to clue the others in on what a fucking experience this whole thing was back in the day.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint were on Noclip's E3 documentary. You get to see their reaction to the Keanu reveal and Patrick jumping for joy at the Blair Witch game. Starts @ 14m30s

Love how everyone has laptops in front of them apart from Rob who is just taking notes in a notebook as Rob should.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
They're curtailing users' freedom, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.​
The specific problem here is that it's locked down, it's impossible to download apps from the websites of publishers and developers, to install them, update them, and conduct commerce in them outside of the store.​
In my view, the store, should, must and will, die as a result of industry backlash. Gamers simply cannot trust the platform so long as they give evasive, ambiguous and sneaky answers to questions about the future, as if it's a PR issue. This isn't a PR issue, it's an existential issue.​
Their intentions must be judged by their actions, not their words. Their actions speak plainly enough: they are working to turn today's open PC ecosystem into a closed, controlled distribution and commerce monopoly, over time, in a series of steps of which we're seeing the very first.

Oh, sorry, that was Epic's Tim Sweeny talking about UWP and the Windows 10 store. Huh. Weird.

He is of course right. The history of the PC is open-ness. It is, at it's core, an open platform.

It's why you can run any of 17 versions of Windows or 372 flavours of Linux.

It's what allows the PC to support a million different places to buy and download games. Any developer can run their own website, their own store. There are no barriers.

It is a fundamentally different ecosystem to the various console closed-gardens.

The Epic Games Store's approach, of buying up 3rd party exclusives, is totally antithetical to the entire history of PC gaming.

I think you missed the "so" in my sentence you quoted. And, well, the rest of the post too.

To be clear, I understand why people are frustrated in general so what you said here doesn't really explain anything to me. I don't disagree that it's bad? I just don't understand the degree to which some people are actively riled up about it.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I think you missed the "so" in my sentence you quoted. And, well, the rest of the post too.

To be clear, I understand why people are frustrated in general so what you said here doesn't really explain anything to me. I don't disagree that it's bad? I just don't understand the degree to which some people are actively riled up about it.

Sorry, I was specifically trying to address that point, but I'll be more succinct:

People who have been part of something for a long time, or who are part of something which has a long history, can have an incredible depth of feeling towards it.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely easy to understand why it would be wild to end Eva before EoE even if you watch EoE right away.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
That podcast flew by. I do think they should do 25+26 and leave EoE for the week after.

The Dirac Sea stuff confused me when I originally watched it and listening to them go over it I realized I still don't understand what's going on. I always assumed it was an ability unique to that angel, but the American base "vanishes" later and it's assumed that it's also as a result of a dirac sea, right? So is that just a thing any angel can do?

Something I do appreciate from the pod are a couple things I didn't get when I was younger. Firstly is that Kaji is a total piece of shit. Seriously, fuck that guy. Secondly, Gendo's stoicism is a total facade and the dude's just an asshole.

I'm curious so hear what the group thinks of Ritsuko's arc, cause from what I remember I really didn't like what they did with that character.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
The Dirac Sea stuff confused me when I originally watched it and listening to them go over it I realized I still don't understand what's going on. I always assumed it was an ability unique to that angel, but the American base "vanishes" later and it's assumed that it's also as a result of a dirac sea, right? So is that just a thing any angel can do?

it's something an at field can do, that angel just put points into being able to do it

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
The Draft episode is so fun. Haven't had that much fun with a gaming podcast episode since the 1UpYours/GFW days and the Ryan Davis Bombcast years.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Solid shout-out to ERA in the draft episode, talking about Rob's Nintendo team being this forum's dream. It gave me a good laugh. Hell, the whole episode gave me a good laugh.

I like how when Vice killed "Be good and rewatch it", the team's just decided to just do whatever the fuck they want with "Waypoints" and the Friday episode. I've got video game news podcasts for days. Give me this team having fun and being passionate about something any day over that.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bi nights at freddy's
giphy.gif

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eva cast and the fantasy draft were five star podcast material. Too bad we don't get pure sales data anymore, because a version of the game could look at a year's lineups list those as the only IPs and then throughout the year you tally up the revenue

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to see the final spreadsheets of this draft.

I can't find it in Waypoint's forum.

Here:
patrick/sony
grand theft auto, god of war, metroid, spider-man, horizon: zero dawn, silent hill, elden ring, the avengers, kid icarus

cado/pc
destiny, kingdom hearts, minecraft, super smash bros, xcom, dragon's dogma, ghostwire: tokyo, deathloop, outer wilds

rob/nintendo
mario, the legend of zelda, pokémon, fire emblem, red dead, fortnite, cyberpunk 2077, baldur's gate, fifa

austin/microsoft
halo, final fantasy xiv, final fantasy (series), nier: automata, sea of thieves, ori, starfield, cartoon network, dwarf fortress

Last edited: