• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
I think Austin's description of Fire Emblem is selling me on the game. I kinda fell off the series partway through Awakening, and Fates didn't appeal to me much, but... Man this sounds pretty cool.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Austin's description of Fire Emblem is selling me on the game. I kinda fell off the series partway through Awakening, and Fates didn't appeal to me much, but... Man this sounds pretty cool.
Austin is dangerous because he makes me want to play these games. Even that awful-sounding Gundam gacha game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
finally ffta cross persona cross fire emblem

we ready

WE FEASTIN'

Oct 25, 2017
Did the video game draft game really value Mario at 15? MARIO!? The same value as InFamous??
Gears of War was at 25!

I really liked this episode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
If Fire Emblem looked a little bit less anime in the ways that I don't enjoy I think it would definitely pull me in.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario also includes the Mario Party games, and they are damned.
Well the good thing about Mario is that you can slap it on anything, even an awful party game. That's why it's so valuable!

They also seemed to be a bit confused on what you're getting. I thought it's literally only the IP, no game or developers. So why would you ever buy something like Deathloop?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If Fire Emblem looked a little bit less anime in the ways that I don't enjoy I think it would definitely pull me in.

If anything, it's going to get more anime in the future. All the apocrypha you hear about "it was called final fantasy because it was squares final game" was apparently true for Awakening, which is why they crammed so much into it because they thought it would be the final game in the franchise. Stuff like the romance options hooked a lot of new players, so they doubled down on the anime bullshit for Fates, and triple downed on the anime bullshit for Fire Emblem Heroes, and now the franchise is one of Nintendo's more important ones, where even if it doesn't sell as well as Mario Kart or Pokemon, it has an anime-like fandom that will do things like buy $100+ waifu figures, spend hundreds on gacha trying to get their favorite characters, be one of the top representitives at artist alleys at cons, etc

Even if you hate that stuff, they at least haven't compromised how the games play for the most part. Sure, they now allow grinding by replaying levels/random map fights, but permadeath is still the default

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waifu

W = 2 Vs

Replace the u with the a.

Remove top curve in f.

Waifu = Vita

Vita = life.

Via transitive property. Waifu = life for the Fire Emblem series.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't listened to the podcast in a week or two cause I've been off binging TAZ during podcast games. Excited to hear this draft thing, but now I'm scared that this is gonna be like Sekiro when I hear their FE impressions and end up buying a game I was only vaguely interested in beforehand.

(Though, to be fair, Sekiro was not only excellent but something that's made me think way more about how I approach fights in games, and I'm extremely glad I played it due to them. But still.)

EDIT:

same goes for Dragon's Dogma actually, but I managed to get that one down to "I'll just try to fit it in later in the year"

EDIT2:

...realizing that I forgot the more extreme example of them + others selling me on Outer Wilds effectively being what makes me finally build a desktop, but that was happening at some point anyway

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

009.gif

Rob or Gendo?

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
Listened to the Video Game Draft episode today and it was a lot of fun. I love both Dragon's Dogma and Nier Automata, but boy were they both heavily overvalued.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Draft was good. Kinda hard to follow at times but I really enjoyed it.

...Cado should never be CEO of PC Gaming.
Did the video game draft game really value Mario at 15? MARIO!? The same value as InFamous??
Gears of War was at 25!

I really liked this episode.
Half-Life at 30

The numbers are better as discussion starters than any real world thing, I guess.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
there needs to be a whole game about valuing game franchises

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I need Fire Emblem now.

It seems like Patrick almost dropped some serious info about Rocksteady. They are not making a Superman game, but it's about what people would expect from them. Hmmmm....

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I need Fire Emblem now.

It seems like Patrick almost dropped some serious info about Rocksteady. They are not making a Superman game, but it's about what people would expect from them. Hmmmm....
That's what they've been saying for a while though. This isn't particularly surprising. My money is on either a general DC spinoff or Ninja Turtle game, co-op in either case, slotting into Rocksteady's formula. At this point it will probably be next-gen too.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all weren't exaggerating the Three Houses segment of the pod, Austin does a great job digging into the mechanics. My favourite part of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (well, mechanically, anyways) was shepherding Rolfe from novice-with-a-bow into a legit Sniper, far surpassing his mentor; so knowing that 3H is shaping up to be a game all about that is... exciting. All of the management stuff sounds great, too.

I thought I was out, but I'm not. Dang.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Fire Emblem on the gba (7 and Sacred Stones) but the dating simification of it has made me distinctly less interested... Hardest disagree I've had with any of their articles recently, if ever.

I would just rather have the mostly linear mission by mission structure of 7 (and all the games prior to it).

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
As someone that's not big on the dating sim aspects i feel like their impact is a bit overstated?

Unless you want to min/max the kids stats, you don't really need to engage with the system much. It's feel like this with bioware romance stuff too. The fanbase loves the shipping, but in the actual game it's not all that prominent.

This will obviously be a bit different this time around since social interactions are a bigger part of the game but since you'll build up all your units from p 0 it would have been a very different style of FE anyway.

That said, the GBA Fe's are also still my favourite because i liked the flavour/setting the most. Fates conquest has had the best gameplay so far though, so i'm still relatively confident Three houses will be good in terms of tactics too.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all weren't exaggerating the Three Houses segment of the pod, Austin does a great job digging into the mechanics. My favourite part of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (well, mechanically, anyways) was shepherding Rolfe from novice-with-a-bow into a legit Sniper, far surpassing his mentor; so knowing that 3H is shaping up to be a game all about that is... exciting. All of the management stuff sounds great, too.

I thought I was out, but I'm not. Dang.

yeah pitching it as 'an entire game of donnel' was amazing. it's like they got the raising kids in without the fantasy eugenics bit

As someone that's not big on the dating sim aspects i feel like their impact is a bit overstated?

the systems impact might be overstated but i think the effect on character design/writing and so on is probably fairly accurate, non-story characters tend to get boiled down to two or three stock animetropes from awakening onwards and even some of the story ones get the treatment a bit too

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i finally started watching so i'm gonna relisten to the pods again!!!!!

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
the systems impact might be overstated but i think the effect on character design/writing and so on is probably fairly accurate, non-story characters tend to get boiled down to two or three stock animetropes from awakening onwards and even some of the story ones get the treatment a bit too

As opposed to all the incredibly nuanced and unique fire emblem characters of the past.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

True, story and characterdesign have definetly changed a lot too, i'm just a bit hesitant to solely blame the romance stuff for that.

Ini the biggest problem with the dating aspects is not that you can pair up your favourites, it's that a lot of it is simply badly written. Especially fates is bad even by the standard of tropey anime.

I kind of like the idea of strategy games being more accessible simply by expanding the types of stories/settings they tell. I just wish the added stuff was also high quality.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
As opposed to all the incredibly nuanced and unique fire emblem characters of the past.

I'm not going to sing high praises on the average writing quality of the old games. But it was never quite as silly as invading a country without killing anyone while at the same time tricking your king into thinking that you are killing people and also placating your family members that are on campaign with you. And that's not even the dumbest thing in that story.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to sing high praises on the average writing quality of the old games. But it was never quite as silly as invading a country without killing anyone while at the same time tricking your king into thinking that you are killing people and also placating your family members that are on campaign with you. And that's not even the dumbest thing in that story.

But then you trade it for another generic and unmemorable fantasy story.

I'm just going to say that story and nuanced, complicated characters aren't exactly what fire emblem is ever known for.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
But then you trade it for another generic and unmemorable fantasy story.

I'm just going to say that story and nuanced, complicated characters aren't exactly what fire emblem is ever known for.

That's fair, but some of them were at least entertaining in the way generic genre fiction can be (and awakening was mostly fine, it's fates that was simply afwul).

I don't need game of thrones, i just wish it wasn't.. high school stuff and pretend wars. It's not like there's not plenty of entertaining fantasy stories that are also anime as fuck/ character driven and funny without being just dumb.

It seems like three houses is servicable though. By now, we'd have heard if it wasn't.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I finished episode 24 being completely confused. I look forward to being further confused.

I don't know what I'm actually confused about, I just feel confused.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just done with games about war that aren't...really willing to engage with what war is? I bounced off Wargroove for this reason, and Fire Emblem has felt like it has a similar issue, or at least Awakening did. Melodrama in a wartime setting is fine, that's not the issue.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
I loved Fire Emblem on the gba (7 and Sacred Stones) but the dating simification of it has made me distinctly less interested... Hardest disagree I've had with any of their articles recently, if ever.

I would just rather have the mostly linear mission by mission structure of 7 (and all the games prior to it).
Genealogy of the Holy War is the introduction of pairing units for super babies