• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
Since Waypoint has broken the anime seal and that means they're open to anime recommendations I want them to do a watch of Wandering Son.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. You're not wrong to be at the very least frustrated with the way people have acted (I'm guilty of being snarky about it as well).

And you're not wrong for wanting a deeper discussion out of them. I just think you could see the checking-out coming from the last set of episodes and I find it personally hard to fault them (primarily Patrick and Rob) for not spending, arguably even more, time to dig around in a piece of media they had lost interest in.
Well, thank you.

I wouldn't have faulted them if the people who lost interest just dropped the show and bowed out of the podcast when they were done. The back half of episodes had a "let's keep speeding though this, two of the hosts are checked out" feeling. The first couple episodes felt like in depth critique and discussion, while the back half felt more like a long snarky synopsis with some critique peppered throughout.

It wasn't what I was looking for by the end—and I probably should have dropped it when I noticed the tone shift—but I can understand others wanting the tone of the back half of episodes too.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These actually are my feelings. Why pass up perfectly good parallels?

And people have been condescending, outright calling me dumb, and subtweeting me the past couple of pages anyway, lol. Don't act aghast because I was slightly cheeky.

Honestly, thanks for posting how you felt. I pretty much held the same stance as you to these Eva podcasts but didn't want to face the same reaction. Good on you.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I tapped out halfway through the last pod in a combination of the crushing length and the negativity (Not that i am in any way an eva stan, i was actually mixed/trending negative on my rewatch of it, just 4 hours of negativity sounds like such an exhausting slog). I'm glad i made the right call.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah honestly, they don'r really have to make them this long lol. The pride and prejudice ones were already pushing it, but they sounded like they were mostly having fun so it's good. I will go back to those from time to time. I will never come back to the eva casts again.

And I hate Eva too.

Also never put Patrick onto these kind of discussions again. He's just not good at discussing media.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Yeah honestly, they don'r really have to make them this long lol. The pride and prejudice ones were already pushing it, but they sounded like they were mostly having fun so it's good. I will go back to those from time to time. I will never come back to the eva casts again.

And I hate Eva too.

Also never put Patrick onto these kind of discussions again. He's just not good at discussing media.

Haha, i couldn't even get through the P&P podcasts, and those were for something that the whole crew was just bursting for joy about. And i'm a huge waypoint fan, as evidenced by the fact that i'm here on a specific gaming thread about them commenting. Imagine what a casual fan thinks of these haha.

And yeah this eva series really wasn't Patrick's high point haha. Honestly the crew just really misses Natalie. She wasn't my favorite, but she brought an energy to the team that just isn't there anymore.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sync ratio with Evangelion Unit-S is over 400%.
tenor.gif

Dance like you want to win, Evangelion Unit-S.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
There really is no defending Eva/Anno. All the dirty and gross laundry is out for all to see.

Also, there are some relatable experiences and themes to be explored.

The pod made for exhaustive listening. The casts' constant, yet understandable, dwelling on the shitty aspects was draining. The conversation was not helped by the dismissive outbursts.

Also, mid-pod there was a convo on watching stuff for themselves and how strenuous this watch was. I mean, do stuff that makes you feel good. However, viewers are looking forward to this? Should we feel bad for listening or "forcing" the crew to watch? It isn't helped by comments like "our duty is fulfilled."

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Oh my god, that's horrible. Be safe everyone!

Think of my feelings on the podcast like this: I spent 20+ hours consuming something that had potential early on, really seemed like it was going somewhere and had some interesting things to say, only for it to devolve into repeating the same negative outlook over and over again with some occasional shouting and spectacle. The fanbase is telling me I should like it, not to dismiss it, and that it actually had deep things to say, but at the end, it all felt very surface level to me. Like they just ran out of motivation, were pressed for time, and it showed in the final product. I wish I could think of something I could relate that feeling to, but i'm coming up blank.

tenor.gif

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone yet figured out why Cado thinks literally every single thing said by any person ever regarding any topic in the history of humanity is hysterical and warrants cackling like a banshee? It's not my grumpy old ass's place to police people's laughter, but the frequency and volume of it has been ruinous to this podcast IMO

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone yet figured out why Cado thinks literally every single thing said by any person ever regarding any topic in the history of humanity is hysterical and warrants cackling like a banshee? It's not my grumpy old ass's place to police people's laughter, but the frequency and volume of it has been ruinous to this podcast IMO
Not ruinous but noticeable. Not a huge deal.

I'm only halfway through the series so far and I listened to the first episode. I don't think this show will turn out well at all. Also really don't like the "based on later knowledge this is important" kinda doesn't let my viewing feel organic knowing what has implications later.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If they ever change their pod setup so that I can't hear Cado laugh off-mic, something has gone terribly wrong.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If they ever change their pod setup so that I can't hear Cado laugh off-mic, something has gone terribly wrong.
It was funny off-mic, but now that he's on-mic all the time, the volume and pitch can be a little much. I like Cado and he can laugh as much as he likes, but in the context of an audio product -- essentially most of what Waypoint is now -- it's too loud.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Natalie, Cado, Patrick, and Austin are on it. All of their numbers are burnt. At least Natalie, Cado, and Austin had the Vice offices as their addresses. Patrick I really feel for. He's been the target of some deranged people for years now. The guy's got a wife and young daughter. I'd be angry and scared if I was him and my heart goes out to the guy.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just read the kotaku article. It was just a straight up link to the spreadsheet?! "Website vulnerability" my ass!

Oct 25, 2017
Wishing the best for them as much as I can with this awful situation. They're already a target of a lot of ire and harassment because of the topics they cover and this can only get worse with their personal information out.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Think of my feelings on the podcast like this: I spent 20+ hours consuming something that had potential early on, really seemed like it was going somewhere and had some interesting things to say, only for it to devolve into repeating the same negative outlook over and over again with some occasional shouting and spectacle. The fanbase is telling me I should like it, not to dismiss it, and that it actually had deep things to say, but at the end, it all felt very surface level to me. Like they just ran out of motivation, were pressed for time, and it showed in the final product. I wish I could think of something I could relate that feeling to, but i'm coming up blank.
I think this sums it up perfectly. People kept saying that this was going to go to deep, dark places, but everything seemed pretty tame all things considered. There were a few neat things here and there, but they constantly squandered any momentum they got going. It's a few cool concepts that they clearly didn't have the capability to execute on in a coherent manner. I can see why they would want to do a reboot with a bigger budget, but even that sounds like it's pretty mediocre.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard the EVA podcasts, but the way they were talking about Hideaki Anno ("YOU CAN'T TAKE SHIN GODZILLA AWAY FROM HIM") makes me think they should of done a Waypoints on His and Her Circumstances instead.

I love Eva in a "time capsule of 90's Japanese bubble burst" sort of way, but seeing how people react to it nowadays makes me realize that I probably shouldn't recommend it to people.

Also His and Her Circumstances is super great. Though I haven't seen it in awhile so who knows, lol.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard the EVA podcasts, but the way they were talking about Hideaki Anno ("YOU CAN'T TAKE SHIN GODZILLA AWAY FROM HIM") makes me think they should of done a Waypoints on His and Her Circumstances instead.

I love Eva in a "time capsule of 90's Japanese bubble burst" sort of way, but seeing how people react to it nowadays makes me realize that I probably shouldn't recommend it to people.

Also His and Her Circumstances is super great. Though I haven't seen it in awhile so who knows, lol.
They could justify Eva to their Vice bosses because it had just come out on Netflix to great fanfare.

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Even though they were very negative towards the end I still enjoyed the Eva podcast, I still felt they were pretty in depth with everything

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
if you're playing as the female character the horny redhead joins you immediately

this is also the first thing he says if you pick blue lions

EBFyJkVU4AAnvgQ

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna like that Rob piece but the copy is atrocious. Waypoint can't afford editing anymore?

This isn't a sentence: "Built to service the needs of retailers, a newstand's worth of enthusiast magazines, and perhaps to get a modicum of attention from mainstream news and entertainment outlets." I think it's supposed to end with a comma? Also that first comma should be an "and." But then the next sentence hyphenates "set up" for no reason. There's honestly an error every other sentence at least.

Who thought that was ready to print?

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I wanna like that Rob piece but the copy is atrocious. Waypoint can't afford editing anymore?

This isn't a sentence: "Built to service the needs of retailers, a newstand's worth of enthusiast magazines, and perhaps to get a modicum of attention from mainstream news and entertainment outlets." I think it's supposed to end with a comma? Also that first comma should be an "and." But then the next sentence hyphenates "set up" for no reason. There's honestly an error every other sentence at least.

Who thought that was ready to print?
For real. Waypoint's copy editing is, to be honest, bad. Like I don't even look for that sort of stuff while I read and there's still multiple blatant examples that jump out in every article I read, especially those rushed to print for a topical subject.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that article is areally good... and marred by many very noticeable (minor) editing errors or outright omissions.

Let Rob succeed--give him another set of eyes before it hits the site.