• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
rob going the brain worms feel good made me spit out my drink. and not ten minutes later they were earnestly debating if the goose was a trotskyist. god, i love waypoint

Oct 25, 2017
This is an ***incredibly*** low stakes complaint that I absolutely do not have very strong feelings over:

I wish they would stop ending the podcast and then keep going for 30 min. Just.... end the podcast when it really ends (as in, 30 min later). Please?
Nah, I'm with you. Like, is this 30 minutes of football talk now? Can I skip this? Would be ok if they had timestamps, I think.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Nah, I'm with you. Like, is this 30 minutes of football talk now? Can I skip this? Would be ok if they had timestamps, I think.

I mean, they pretty clearly wrap things up and play the outro. Anything after that is pretty easily skipped, especially if you don't care about football or don't like the sounds of keyboard clacking.
But yeah, timestamps in the podcast episode descriptions would help alleviate any confusion. Youtube is definitely a couple days late and not as detailed as it could be.

Oct 25, 2017
How would I know that they are only going to talk about football? Guess I missed it, should they have mentioned it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but not exactly my favourite change lol

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
How would I know that they are only going to talk about football? Guess I missed it, should they have mentioned it. It's not the worst thing in the world, but not exactly my favourite change lol
The description of the latest episode specifically says "Stay tuned after the outro for the weekly NFL check-in." It seems like they're committed to keeping it there, so it'll probably always be post-outro on the Monday episode.

goblin

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
thank you for all the good advice. i have decided like an idiot to disregard it all and start again from the beginning because i am a moron

Late but this is what I would've recommended doing. It's fun to go along with them as they figure out how stuff in the world works and scramble to make connections to previous episodes and seasons.

Also gonna second the recommendation for Bluff City which is my favorite FatT thing. The first episode of it is available on their main podcast feed (Nov. 23, 2017) along with some other one-shots they've done (Fall of Magic - Sep. 13, 2018) if you want to see what some of their Patreon stuff is like.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That first episode's real solid too; should be titled "A Bowling Alley, A Boxer, and A Bird". All of Bluff City is great, but it's particularly good to have the start land like that.

Forgot to respond to this before, but- fwiw they've said they're totally fine with people paying for just one month like that and downloading what's available. That was mainly in reference to the $50 tier (which I should really get around to doing for a month now that Hieron's finished, but maybe I'll actually wait till the start of season 6 in case there's some good stuff about that), but it'd still make sense for the lower tiers.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that they quarantine NFL talk at the end. It's not something I'm into and er while I listen to it anyways having the option to easily skip it is good.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
me seeing 30 minutes of post pod:
kpdCIXD.gif

me realizing it's all footy talk:
2939782-brad-wtf.gif

Rob's trick....

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't know understand anyone gets so invested in sports.
I say, fully aware that I am a gamer with intense thoughts on game development, marketing, and so on.

The closest I came to understanding it was an old Waypoints(?) where they discussed... uh... an NFL training reality show or something like that. It did a lot to elucidate sports fandom, and I genuinely enjoyed their talk about it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
fighting games is why i understand sports fandom no i will not be taking any questions at this time

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Yeah, not being an NFLer makes those post pods.. ah just not for me.
Not fair of me to complain, glad they're excited and enjoying it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about football, but they give enough context around what they're talking about to make it an interesting listen so I don't skip them.

Edit: Also, Mindhunter is a really good show with an awful name. I'll have to go back and listen to the waypoint after I'm finished with the season.

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
Some friends of mine are deep into sports and I'm normally totally uninterested, so Waypoint's talks have been a nice way to peek into that world and learn a bit about why people love sports so much.

Thanks Waypoint!!!

I'm glad sports is off in its own post-show slot though.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I'm into some sports but American football has zero appeal to me, glad I can easily skip it.
Now we just need shitty fast food talk quarantined.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Oh man. Lots of love to both, and I'm glad Austin is taking care of himself 'cause I've always got the feeling he's a pretty hardcore workaholic. Bummer for the podcast as it's already felt a bit skeletal since Natalie left, but I'm looking forward to seeing what both of them do from here. I really hope they can hire another non-male podcast voice though.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Well shit.

All the best wishes for Austin and Danielle. They're not disappearing into the post-podcasting block hole that a lot of my other favourites have, so it's a little easier to take.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well... I have not listened to the podcast much lately due to catching up on others, but I guess I am listening to this one. Huh.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, this is a bummer. But it's better that Austin and Danielle gets to do what they want to do than to be stuck in a job they don't want to do for the rest of their lives. At least Austin is still on the podcast for now, though I'll miss Danielle's contributions.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Three years later and that's all she wrote. He never should have left Giant Bomb.
I adored Austin's time with Giant Bomb but I'm glad he left. He had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to start something brand new with a handpicked staff in an industry desperate for new ideas and fresh voices. It would have been insane to not take it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three years later and that's all she wrote. He never should have left Giant Bomb.
He got to be EiC. I doubt he has regrets, I would've done the same. But tbh I have no idea what this move means for the audience? He's still gonna be on the pod, will still be writing, just not as much (I wasn't reading Vice Gaming anyway). Is he still working there or not? I'm finding this pretty confusing. Long term this probably doesn't mean anything good for what was once Waypoint

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame to see them both leaving but I wish them luck on whatever they do next. At least this year seems to be a good year for the site based on Austins post, so Waypoint/Vice Games isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And Austin will still be on the podcast.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what this move means for the audience?

Yeah, like. Danielle's been gone anyway. And I'd already given up regularly reading Waypoint written articles. So mostly it's the same for me, #content wise.

It does matter that Austin isn't the boss anymore. But then, he never seemed super in control under Vice? Waypoint felt pretty constrained for two years at least.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I have learned one thing, it's that "I'm still going to be on the podcast from time to time" never works out.

Deffo. Austin says he'll be on the pod "every week" (and getting paid for it), so this probably isn't like his once-or-twice-a-year Beastcast emeritus status.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, like. Danielle's been gone anyway. And I'd already given up regularly reading Waypoint written articles. So mostly it's the same for me, #content wise.

It does matter that Austin isn't the boss anymore. But then, he never seemed super in control under Vice? Waypoint felt pretty constrained for two years at least.
Yeah, it sort of feels like an admission of the direction things were already going. Austin's announcement was a surprise, but at the same time it kinda isn't a surprise, you know?

I do hope that Austin continuing to be on the pod buys them time to find a replacement. I love Patrick, Rob, and Cado but just that trio is going to be a skeleton crew.

Last edited:

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was Danielle doing? I haven't followed, and I don't listen to Waypoint Radio as much as I'd like (more recently tho)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm conflicted because Waypoint in my mind *is* Austin, and I really enjoyed the content he produced for the site, but:

a) Waypoint Radio is 90% of what I consume from the site and he's still gonna be there
b) the people he's leaving in charge share his vision and the site ain't going anywhere
b) If this makes his life easier that's great because I got the impression he had like 10 mins of rest per day with all he does
c) if this means he gets to dedicate more time to Friends at the Table then I'm SUPER OK with this tbh lol

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still confused. Austin is leaving, but he's still, what, freelancing the pod? Or is he still employed by vice, just in a less capacity?