• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
There is a big difference between "Some Hong Kong protesters were using the Union Jack as an image of protest, which has a severely colonialist history" and "Blizzard removed three figures from their entire Hearthstone apparatus for one sentence a person said under perceived fear of retaliation from a totalitarian government attempting to stamp out liberation from said state."

When it comes to large swathes of people disagreeing with and combating the modern CCP chances are the former are in the right, and anyone capitulating to the latter for profit-motivated reasons (even preliminarily) are morally wrong. While of course there is a deep history and plenty of reading to go into understanding how the region got to this point, it's fairly clear what's happening from a bird's-eye view. This is not an issue to hem and haw over before taking a side.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, the topic came up at the end of the podcast and they said they didn't have time to get into it fully, the only bit of discussion was Austin, very briefly talking about the HK protests themselves. And only to the point of explaining his lack of familiarity.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Also, the topic came up at the end of the podcast and they said they didn't have time to get into it fully, the only bit of discussion was Austin, very briefly talking about the HK protests themselves. And only to the point of explaining his lack of familiarity.
Then why say anything at all? Because doing the whataboutism thing kinda said nothing of value.

"We are just learning about this and this is a story opening up and expanding rapidly so look out for news pieces and their updates on the site. We'll have a proper discussion on Friday when we can look back at some of what happened," would have been totally acceptable. Doing the totalitarianism vs colonial imagery dance really just made the response, as it was at the time, seem bland and lacking.

That all said, chances are all of this will be moot because by Friday (well, tomorrow when they record) they'll have done some reading and come back to the table and can talk about it more fully, especially about the infighting at Blizzard over this as I'm sure whatever went on there today will get leaked to the press.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Aw, dang, I missed your initial post, Fistfulofmetal

Well, regardless, I look forward to the next podcast. Hopefully Rob can be on there alongside Patrick and Austin, as there's really no other trio in the games press I'd rather look to for a deep-dive on this issue. I just hope they can go deep on it. There's a lot there.

lucentcrowe

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
How much do you need to know about the situation to know Hong Kong is in in the right here

Austin did a great job by not taking the obligatory pro-colonial position that's currently uniting the entire far-right, center, and so-called "left" in games spaces. You should learn about the history of China and Hong Kong thoroughly before demanding that others repeat obligatory (in the west) imperial positions.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Keep saying Lil Wayne x Ghost Recon Breakpoint ads on YouTube and I can't believe the target demo for Breakpoint is just Rob Zacny and Lil Wayne

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

Like I said, Friday's gonna be a lot more informed, probably. They're getting into minutia of account deletion at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Austin did a great job by not taking the obligatory pro-colonial position that's currently uniting the entire far-right, center, and so-called "left" in games spaces. You should learn about the history of China and Hong Kong thoroughly before demanding that others repeat obligatory (in the west) imperial positions.
What a ridiculous framing of the protests. "Pro-colonial position" is a straight up insult to what they want.

Oct 25, 2017
Had to look it up and it's former ZAM. They own many sites and it looks like they're building up fanbyte now?

They own all of this:
VQZqmgo.png

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Danielle work at ZAM before Waypoint? I could've sworn I remember someone associated with Idle Thumbs went there at one point, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Know it wasn't happening but I was secretly holding out hope she was joining Giant Bomb East, love her DKCTF video with Dan

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
...Isn't Manga Rock a manga piracy site?
Like, one of the sites that will get you a warning or a short ban if you talk about it here?

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No? I searched for like every popular shonen jump comic just now and came up with nothing
It looks like some of the big ones might be missing/behind a paywall(?), but on the home page I saw 190+ chapters of a comic with a popular currently-running anime. Also their Disclaimer page says "Manga Rock is developed by Not A Basement Studio and does not have any affiliation with the content providers."

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they bleached their history.

Like crunchyroll!

Not quite. I'm not sure how gradual the process for CR was, but despite their past it's not like they also still have fansubs for unlicensed shows up. While this is just "we'll take down stuff if it turns out it's licensed", I think.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the MR folks are trying to turn legit but l'm incredibly skeptical.
Also, FFXIV giveaway ends in 17 hours!
that manga rock article

"we were just a small indie start up and accidentally feel into piracy please forgive us" 🙄 they make it sound like they want to go legit out of moral reasons when it's more likely they thought they could make more money by signing deals with publishers and charging for the app. I can get why someone would see having manga that's not available outside Japan was okay (even resetera is lax about that) but they had shit like Naruto and one piece. That was clearly illegal

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Just realised today you can play the first mission of Shadowkeep without buying the DLC, and you even get the moon patrol area too.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
yeah, I forgot too until last night

you can go to the forsaken areas too; there's a big xp wheel to unlock access and I'm like halfway there without even thinking about it or playing a ton

side note: gambit mode is fantastic

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Of course it's understandable to know what you do and don't get with SK. You need an infographic for that shit; it's all over the place.

REWrqQqjac5bBsqdGzjU25.png

Oct 27, 2017
i bought forsaken... started it... but then got distracted by the season pass stuff.... so i bought that.... and now i hear if i want to get the most out of this season i should get shadowkeep which fuck, might as well right? hahahah ha

WHICH I JUST LEARN THAT IF I HAD JUST GOT SHADOWKEEP I WOULD HAVE ALSO GOT THE SEASON

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
i bought forsaken... started it... but then got distracted by the season pass stuff.... so i bought that.... and now i hear if i want to get the most out of this season i should get shadowkeep which fuck, might as well right? hahahah ha
Not to make it even worse for you now but if you held off until a couple weeks before SK they made the Annual Pass free and have now rolled a lot of it into new Forsaken purchases (or made it even free alongside New Light, I'm still not sure what the split is).

Edit: And yeah, you can freely play a fair bit of SK outside of what "narrative" there is there and decide whether you want to buy it or not later.

Last edited:

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Not to make it even worse for you now but if you held off until a couple weeks before SK they made the Annual Pass free and have now rolled a lot of it into new Forsaken purchases (or made it even free alongside New Light, I'm still not sure what the split is).

Edit: And yeah, you can freely play a fair bit of SK outside of what "narrative" there is there and decide whether you want to buy it or not later.
yeah, gambit mode, the exo lady's forge, and, uh....... a pleasure barge and a golden statue that gives bounties, are all available to everyone now

I think there are still a couple things inaccessible (forsaken specific weapon quests? weapon quests are a thing, right...?) but I don't know exactly

destiny is still confusing at times

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, gambit mode, the exo lady's forge, and, uh....... a pleasure barge and a golden statue that gives bounties, are all available to everyone now

I think there are still a couple things inaccessible (forsaken specific weapon quests? weapon quests are a thing, right...?) but I don't know exactly

destiny is still confusing at times
Wasn't Gambit always free? And then Gambit Prime was locked to the pass once Season of the Drifter hit? I could be all the way wrong though.

I'm not sure how I feel about it despite putting like 50 hours into it on Steam alone. It's really messy as a full thing despite playing so tightly. I'm nearing 935 LL and I'm deathly afraid of getting into higher Nightfalls or the Raids or the Menagerie because I don't want to suck and let people down because I don't even know what I don't know.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
Wasn't Gambit always free? And then Gambit Prime was locked to the pass once Season of the Drifter hit? I could be all the way wrong though.

I'm not sure how I feel about it despite putting like 50 hours into it on Steam alone. It's really messy as a full thing despite playing so tightly. I'm nearing 935 LL and I'm deathly afraid of getting into higher Nightfalls or the Raids or the Menagerie because I don't want to suck and let people down because I don't even know what I don't know.
no? I don't think so? I think I went to the screen to play it when I redownloaded des2ny before shadowkeep but I couldn't but idk
they first gave the annual pass stuff to anyone who owned forsaken (rip if you bought the pass a week earlier), and then everyone once shadowkeep launched

Edit:
googling suggests you could! I was wrong! cooorrections!

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The non-heroic Menagerie is impossible to fail, don't worry about that. I wouldn't really worry about Nightfalls either, they are just strikes with higher level enemies and more difficult modifiers.

Generally for raids if you grab a group in the era discord and they know you're new you'll be fine. I've done a lot of raids in D1 and D2 and I still have a lot of anxiety about it, but I can't say I've ever had a really bad experience so far. Just make sure you let people know if you don't understand something about an encounter.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
The non-heroic Menagerie is impossible to fail, don't worry about that. I wouldn't really worry about Nightfalls either, they are just strikes with higher level enemies and more difficult modifiers.

Generally for raids if you grab a group in the era discord and they know you're new you'll be fine. I've done a lot of raids in D1 and D2 and I still have a lot of anxiety about it, but I can't say I've ever had a really bad experience so far. Just make sure you let people know if you don't understand something about an encounter.
Thank you for the assuagement of my anxiety, but I still kind of have to work myself up to it.

I didn't know Menagerie was so perfunctory, though, but I guess the matchmaking should have made that clear.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the assuagement of my anxiety, but I still kind of have to work myself up to it.

I didn't know Menagerie was so perfunctory, though, but I guess the matchmaking should have made that clear.
I have the same issue when raiding, I've got a Garden raid tonight and I've been stressed about it all week. Even though no one else has done it either I'm definitely worried about being the person holding up progress or causing a wipe.

If you want to try one with a little less pressure, you could try to find a group at https://www.reddit.com/r/destinysherpa. I've done a few raids through there and the people running them are incredibly patient and will walk you through each encounter in detail. I've never heard a negative word coming out of those raids. Only problem is actually getting a group since they tend to fill up fast.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is......xur still a thing people care about? I see there's a website that tells you where xur is. Should i go see xur tonight???
If you are missing an exotic he is selling you might as well grab it. He also has some weekly quests related to the drifter and the nine if you care about lore and haven't done them before.