• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
that whole conversation was framed as being about "gamer outrage", #dexit, and all that junk that happens all too often these days (see dark souls 2 lighting, spider-man puddles, or literally every bioware game since da2 being put under a level of scrutiny and nitpicking no other game usually is for more examples), it was less about pokemon specifically or their impressions of that game

there are absolutely genuine complaints to be had about pokemon sw/sh and gamefreak's odd choices regarding the series and they weren't arguing otherwise

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
"What's your secret, gamer?"

2Elv.gif

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that rubs me the wrong way is that it's exactly the same tactic the right uses when they go on about outrage or cancel culture.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think in hindsight they came across more critical of DONTNOD than they probably intended because they only spent a couple of sentences that seemed relatively supportive and much longer talking critically. I think there's room for being happy that things are moving in the right direction while also pushing for them to go farther. I'm willing to give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt, and I think it's important that we give credit to well-meaning people even if they aren't 100% of the way there on everything immediately.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think in hindsight they came across more critical of DONTNOD than they probably intended because they only spent a couple of sentences that seemed relatively supportive and much longer talking critically. I think there's room for being happy that things are moving in the right direction while also pushing for them to go farther. I'm willing to give DONTNOD the benefit of the doubt, and I think it's important that we give credit to well-meaning people even if they aren't 100% of the way there on everything immediately.
Like, I think the dialectic they're working with is accurate: the game will come out, get criticism for whatever it inevitably gets wrong, and then that criticism can be used to work towards better representation for trans folk in the future. Like, it probably inevitable that's how it's going to go, but when they were discussing it they came across as almost defeatist in tone. I think they probably just spent too much time on it for the amount of information they had.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really get any negativity when I heard the Tell Me Why segment. They were skeptical about how it would land, but were looking forward to it. Didn't seem defeatist or dour, just realistic about its chances, especially given DONTNOD's previous work.

Didn't seem objectionable at all to me.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping Friday's pod has a tactical Tuesday Friday minute. Battletech and Age of Wonders: Planetfall got a content drop this week, so it's the perfect time.

Nov 3, 2017
Little bummed Austin hasn't had a FF XIV update in a few episodes now. Assuming he's been playing at the same pace as before, he's likely hit Heavensward and should have seen at least a few hints of the much improved writing compared to base ARR

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making a game about a trans story without having any trans writers, developers, or any other creative is bound to be a disaster.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like such an avoidable problem, how did they not make getting a trans writer a line in the sand.
then they would have someone in the writer's room who actually disagrees with them. can't have that.

ultimately, no matter how good the game is, it will always be a bunch of cis folks profiting off of trans stories and misery (knowing dontnod). So many talented trans artists are struggling to get paid. It really sucks to see them go this route.

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
then they would have someone in the writer's room who actually disagrees with them. can't have that.

ultimately, no matter how good the game is, it will always be a bunch of cis folks profiting off of trans stories and misery (knowing dontnod). So many talented trans artists are struggling to get paid. It really sucks to see them go this route.
Agreed.

Life is Strange 2 Episode 2 Spoilers:
Was playing this finally last night with girlfriend. She was really, really upset at what they did with Mushroom. And I don't blame her. It felt cheap, and overly graphic.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Life is Strange 2 Episode 2 Spoilers:
Was playing this finally last night with girlfriend. She was really, really upset at what they did with Mushroom. And I don't blame her. It felt cheap, and overly graphic.
Fun fact: I literally stopped playing after that scene and have not returned to it since. It was just the cheapest play for eMoTiOnS possible. I'll probably finish the season eventually but boy that REALLY soured me worse than anything that happened in LiS1. Almost as awful as the post-credits stinger in Before the Storm. So yeah I'm approaching this with the greatest of caution.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Making a game about a trans story without having any trans writers, developers, or any other creative is bound to be a disaster.
Oh wow, I only just got around to listening to the episode and hearing the actual pitch of the game. Having the story be about identical twins and dealing with memories, at least some of which will presumably be pre-transition, makes what was already a dicey story into one I'm really not sure they can pull off.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top Five Hip Hop
  • Outkast
  • Wu-Tang
  • Big Boi on his own!!
  • Odd Future (this slot kinda goes to Eminem actually, but Em is whack so OFWGKTA stands in for the fact that I like just like grimy shit sometimes)
  • A Tribe Called Quest
If you don't let me do Big Boi on his own, I'm going to do something goofy like put Busta on there so be careful.

Also I can't lie, Kanye was so good to me. But I basically only cared about Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus and then a little bit of Pablo and that's it.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, they have such normie top 5's.

For me it's.

1. Tyler the creator
2. MF Doom
3. Outkast
4. Cunninglynguists
5. Playbook Carti

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The Gang Solves Capitalism is on AV Club's weekly podcast recommendation feature Podmass

oh hey, that's a pretty good idea for a feature

also, would have to think about a top 5 hip hop list, but

#1 album I adored for awhile and proceeded to never hear about again after it left my rotation: K'naan - The Dusty Foot Philosopher

#1 album I still like a lot and hear surprisingly little about: Black Star - Mos Def & Talib Kweli Are Black Star

#1 movie starring a hip hop artist that I haven't heard mentioned in over a decade: Something the Lord Made

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm two sets of interviews/pre-rec content going up. are they doing goty prep?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm two sets of interviews/pre-rec content going up. are they doing goty prep?

This Thursday is Thanksgiving in America. Some of them may be taking vacations alongside the days they'd already have off; I'm guessing that's why. Though it could also be that, maybe.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh the pod has an interview with Harebrained Schemes? That's awesome.

They're quietly one of the best developers out there.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking forward to when Austin hits the end of the ARR patch content leading to HW.

Also the four hour question didn't specify but I'd love to experience the end of the original FFXIV. I feel like that'd be the most fitting end to coincide with the real world ending.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This year, I have read Pride and Prejudice and multiple essays about the book, watched the BBC show over two nights during Thanksgiving weekend, and introduced my partner to the wonder that are "The Realest Realist" Rob Zacny and the five star run time, five star quality Be Good and Rewatch It: Pride and Prejudice series.

I am thankful.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
Have not really been catching up much with the waypoint stuff sadly, besides a podcast here and there. do they not do any video content anymore at all? no just playing some games while streaming? remember the dark souls stuff fondly ^^

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Have not really been catching up much with the waypoint stuff sadly, besides a podcast here and there. do they not do any video content anymore at all? no just playing some games while streaming? remember the dark souls stuff fondly ^^

They only do podcasts and articles now.

the site itself was folded into the other gaming site Vice had.

Oct 25, 2017
Shout outs to Austin shouting out Chip and Ironicus. Their MGSV Lp was fantastic and really deserves more views. I've been following them for years and it's nice to see them get recognition in the games press even if only from a podcast.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This year, I have read Pride and Prejudice and multiple essays about the book, watched the BBC show over two nights during Thanksgiving weekend, and introduced my partner to the wonder that are "The Realest Realist" Rob Zacny and the five star run time, five star quality Be Good and Rewatch It: Pride and Prejudice series.

I am thankful.

this legit makes me want to tear up

what a beautiful thing it is that, thanks to Waypoint, some of us spent a duration of 2019 obsessing over Pride and Prejudice

that obsession paved the way for a new lifelong love, easily making it one of the more expansive stretches of media consumption I've had this year

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what it is, but whenever they bring up the Twitter story of the day it ends up sounding especially petty. Like this Ninja tweet is barely worth talking about at all. Maybe I'm just tired.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what it is, but whenever they bring up the Twitter story of the day it ends up sounding especially petty. Like this Ninja tweet is barely worth talking about at all. Maybe I'm just tired.
Nah they are definitely Too Online for their own good sometimes (I am aware of the irony of knowing exactly which tweet this is probably about lol). If it's that Ninja tweet about kickers, that's the kind of thing you just shake your head at and move on with your life. It's not even worth oxygen. I'd say that about Ninja in general.

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
There's certainly some irony to bemoaning Ninja's comparative popularity during the same podcast where they spend time on a dumb Ninja tweet.
If it's a problem that people are paying attention to him, don't pay attention to him.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
5 million people are following that dumb motherfucker on Twitter regardless. Them commenting on a dumb tweet of his won't tilt that scale one bit.

I just find it hilarious how often people think oh this occupation has to be so easy you just do a/b/c! Resetera posters do this so often with game development lol