• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I've been losing faith in Warren for all the reasons they describe and I just...wish I felt like I could trust Bernie's judgement in the people he surrounds himself with. Right now I'm not enthusiastic for anyone running really. I'll vote for whoever wins, but everyone on the field gives me reasons to be nervous

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
isnt the american system designed basically to crap all over third parties

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
also im listening to lore reasons again and seriously, what the fuck is this series (kh). what the fuck. i know it's got an added filter of incomprehensibility added by being filtered through a bunch of crazy people who watched videos on youtube but what random atom struck another random atom that led to this series being a thing. it's absolutely insane.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
American political parties, because third parties are dead on arrival, already kinda are large coalitions - it's just that they're internal factional coalitions before the fact rather than de jure coalitions of political parties after the fact. You vote for your preferred faction/party in the primaries, rather than the general. It's not as dramatic now compared to the Reconstruction-Civil Rights period, but there's still a lot less party discipline compared to parliamentary systems; if you vote against the Australian Labor party in parliament they kick you the fuck out. It still sucks of course, but it's wrong to say there's a lack of diversity of views, or at least - probably more accurately - there's just as little diversity as there is in Aus, Canada, UK etc, but it manifests in a different way.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like. A bunch of elected Republicans from twenty years ago wouldn't recognize Trumpism as the party. But the coalition shifted enough that here we are.

But still: Republicans have been trash for decades, just different flavors of trash. And the American political system has been trash since the jump.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like. A bunch of elected Republicans from twenty years ago wouldn't recognize Trumpism as the party. But the coalition shifted enough that here we are.

But still: Republicans have been trash for decades, just different flavors of trash. And the American political system has been trash since the jump.

100%. If by decades we mean about 100 years. It's hard to know which party was worse in the post Teddy pre FDR era.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
heated gamer moment (n-word language warning)

i'm relistening to lore reasons and yeah i think i actively understand less

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rob's history of (intentionally?) mispronouncing names continues in the Waypoints about Uncut Gems: Austin pronounced sports radio host Mike Francesca's name correctly, and Rob steers him into the wrong pronunciation.

Oct 25, 2017
My thinking was that KG also got an appraisal for the opal and that's why he came back with $175k, which would otherwise be odd after Howard told him it's worth a million or more and maybe that's why he didn't bid any higher either.

Also, adding to the guest appearances, there's a bunch more. Like, Tilda Swinton is voicing the auction house boss on the phone and Natasha Lyonne is voicing one of the people at KG's agency.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thinking was that KG also got an appraisal for the opal and that's why he came back with $175k, which would otherwise be odd after Howard told him it's worth a million or more and maybe that's why he didn't bid any higher either.

Also, adding to the guest appearances, there's a bunch more. Like, Tilda Swinton is voicing the auction house boss on the phone and Natasha Lyonne is voicing one of the people at KG's agency.
I really thought that your two things about Uncut Gems would be Julia Fox's two butt cheeks.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Rob's history of (intentionally?) mispronouncing names

I got a laugh out of him stubbornly persisting with his own version of "Asuka" when they were doing Evangelion.

Anyway, I enjoyed their dem primary discussion. I expected a lot more shitting on Joe Biden. My main hangup with Sanders remains that I just don't know that all these extra voters materialize. There seems to be a lot of hand waving about mobilizing people and mass action.

I hope their right about Bernie regardless. I think he may be the best positioned to win right now.

Shinogu

Oct 25, 2017
Quick podcast question:

There was a moment where Rob talked about a mental health thing where someone has a plushie or something that someone talks to in order to get some ideas spoken and out of their head, I cannot for the life of me remember which podcast it was, and I swear it was a recent one. Someone help.

I got a laugh out of him stubbornly persisting with his own version of "Asuka" when they were doing Evangelion.

Anyway, I enjoyed their dem primary discussion. I expected a lot more shitting on Joe Biden. My main hangup with Sanders remains that I just don't know that all these extra voters materialize. There seems to be a lot of hand waving about mobilizing people and mass action.

I hope their right about Bernie regardless. I think he may be the best positioned to win right now.

I feel like if one doesn't speak Japanese fluently or go hard on learning it early, one always runs into pronouncing Asuka the way he did/does.

I remember an older Waypoints where I feel like they got their Biden-dunking out of their system, back when Natalie was with em still.

Oct 25, 2017

goblin

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Quick podcast question:

There was a moment where Rob talked about a mental health thing where someone has a plushie or something that someone talks to in order to get some ideas spoken and out of their head, I cannot for the life of me remember which podcast it was, and I swear it was a recent one. Someone help

You're looking for "Our Favorite Games of 2019 - Part 1" during the Eliza section, around 1:35:00; here's a link. I listened to this only recently because I just beat Eliza and wanted to hear their thoughts.

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone listen to Kotaku Splitscreen's Dragon's Dogma segment? They desperately need to have Austin call in or something, I was pulling my hair out.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to Austin explain the caucus system is like listening to him explain board game rules.

SirDancelot

Oct 29, 2017
So after the 2016 elections I jumped on the Pod Save America train for my weekly fix of liberal politics. I've grown disillusioned with them as we move into the primaries and I'm looking for a more leftist leaning podcast - does anyone have politics podcast recommendations? Was not into Chappo when I tried it.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
So after the 2016 elections I jumped on the Pod Save America train for my weekly fix of liberal politics. I've grown disillusioned with them as we move into the primaries and I'm looking for a more leftist leaning podcast - does anyone have politics podcast recommendations? Was not into Chappo when I tried it.
Citations Needed is a good left-leaning pod that has the Waypoint crew endorsement.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone will say Citations Needed. (EDIT lol beat the punch as I was typing.) Austin and Patrick like them. I don't really but whatever. They're more often John Oliver-style specific issue takedowns than horse race politics.

Talking Politics is British and not exactly radical spicy, but it's sharp and good. They do a ton of American politics in addition to British and have been doing an interesting serious on American history on their feed.

You should probably give Vox's The Weeds a spin. Firmly liberal rather than radical, but they're at least self-aware about it. I'd say skip the whitepaper segments.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Citations Needed is indeed very good, and I truly appreciate it for being consistent in its criticism of the US government's imperialist foreign policy and how America's mainstream media is integral in justifying all these never-ending military actions.

Darkflight

Oct 27, 2017
My current playlist is:

The Dig
Dead Pundits Society
Worst Year Ever
Even More News
Delete Your Account

With Citations Needed separate as I'm listening to them in order in my backlog

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
Citations Needed is indeed very good, and I truly appreciate it for being consistent in its criticism of the US government's imperialist foreign policy and how America's mainstream media is integral in justifying all these never-ending military actions.

Yeah, its the only left leaning podcast i can listen to. They give no shits about clearly referring to the israel-palestine situation as an aparteid state and I respect the hell out of them for it. That, in ddtiotion to calling out all of US patriotism as being fucking creepy as hell.

SirDancelot

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the recs - I actually do check in on Citations needed and mostly enjoy it. Will check out the others mentioned.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man when the lads said Outer Wilds needs a way to kill time by meditating or something... I cringed for them.

Snitching on themselves for never roasting marshmallows. You can fast-forward at campfires.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That may have been added later on, so after Austin played, I think? But it's definitely useful and made it so I never had loops where I was just waiting around for a few minutes at the start.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I'm unreasonably excited. I wonder if Natalie and Cado have gotten a bit more savvy with the lore, or at least Natalie since I think she has stuck around to keep up with the mobile game which is SUPER IMPORTANT.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Who's telling Austin that he's going to hate Stormblood? Given everything he's praised from ARR onward, Stormblood should be his favorite main expansion as it's almost 100% about war and politics.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
mmmm beef boss

EQS4C9_W4AAKUv7

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who found the Ascians unbearable until Shadowbringers, 3,1 through 4.5 was my favorite part of FFXIV because it focuses more on politics. Stormblood also has many of my favorite duties, especially the Ivalice raid with its FFT-by-way-of-tokusatsu style.

It's interesting that Austin mentions how he felt the writers were getting better about "beastmen." The encyclopedia released after Stormblood has a page about the in-fiction use of the term that tries to directly tackle how blatantly racist it is.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I hope they do an Outer Wilds spoilercast soon, but I feel like it might be getting too late for that. I was disappointed that they were still being so cagey about everything, considering that it came out 9 months ago and they could easily tell people to fast forward a few minutes if they didn't want to hear a more in-depth discussion which could have spoilers.