• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they do an Outer Wilds spoilercast soon, but I feel like it might be getting too late for that. I was disappointed that they were still being so cagey about everything, considering that it came out 9 months ago and they could easily tell people to fast forward a few minutes if they didn't want to hear a more in-depth discussion which could have spoilers.
There's not much they can say that hasn't been covered elsewhere by this point. But the game is nearly nine months old at this point and I don't think Austin has a had a full blowout spoiler chat about it (unless I'm forgetting something) so I am assuming he has a big blast of spoilery feelings about the game he hasn't gotten the chance to let out yet.

Edit: I'm sorry that sounded so suggestive. i didnt fuck my cat, etc.

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do an Outer Wilds spoilercast soon, but I feel like it might be getting too late for that. I was disappointed that they were still being so cagey about everything, considering that it came out 9 months ago and they could easily tell people to fast forward a few minutes if they didn't want to hear a more in-depth discussion which could have spoilers.

Patrick literally finished it today, so there's 1. still a chance, and 2. a person that it was understandable to not spoil to make for better discussion later.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Uncut Gems spoilercast and it made me rewatch the movie despite the fact that, like Austin, I did not love it or connect to it on a personal level. Also, Gita rules. Perfectly globular ass lol

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typo in the title, typo in the first sentence.

Yep, it's text #content on Waypoint alright.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Ken Jennings for the Waypoint Parasite retrospective.

--BUT!--

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
Man when the lads said Outer Wilds needs a way to kill time by meditating or something... I cringed for them.

Snitching on themselves for never roasting marshmallows. You can fast-forward at campfires.

I roasted many marshmallows and never knew you could do that, but I also never knew you could meditate until the end of the loop.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss the Joyous Gamer, but Kingdom Hearts...

AdoredNeglectedFirebelliedtoad-size_restricted.gif

SeriuzBiznus

Jan 14, 2020
London, UK
I really miss the Joyous Gamer, but Kingdom Hearts...

AdoredNeglectedFirebelliedtoad-size_restricted.gif

Agreed. I managed to make it through all the previous lore reasons podcasts but I got about halfway through this one before realising I really hadn't been paying attention to any of it.

I miss hearing Natalie but at this point, any kind of Kingdom Hearts discussion sends me to sleep faster than a bad tweet.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i love that even though natalie doesnt even work there anymore they somehow have plans to do a metal gear lore reasons

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
nah i haven't played kingdom hearts ever and kind of dont ever plan to because lore reasons has revealed to me that it's all total bullshit

I think the difference is that I have played most of Kingdom Hearts and in fact have this DLC installed on my PS4. But instead of playing it I've been watching weird old anime like Petit Princess Yucie.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
nah i haven't played kingdom hearts ever and kind of dont ever plan to because lore reasons has revealed to me that it's all total bullshit
You either get roped into the melodrama and love the characters the way you love a silly soap opera

*OR* It can be both, too

you're in it for Nomura's Wild Ride™ and just want to see the silly A F puzzle box """"world building"""". KHUx (the mobile game) is the real tipping point, and I was in the middle of typing "it's the apotheosis of this storytelling" but the ReMind secret ending happened and, no, *that's* the full apotheosis of batshit Nomura.

Since I didn't play any of the handheld games until the collection repackagings, I simply got enough distance from the world to stop being invested in the characters (since I was only super into it when I was, what, 11?). But I have fallen back into the crazy dumb lore with KH3 and catching up on KHUx because it's just the right type of stupid bullshit puzzleboxing I can at least enjoy seeing play out (the same way I like piecing together Dark Souls lore but don't actually have any emotional investment in the narrative).

Also the music is good and it still hits me in my 10 years old kid me feels. Simple and Clean or the orchestral version still hits me despite my complete emotional disinterest from like any of the characters.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
kingdom hearts is art

bring Her back

tumblr_njh63u3SlB1sk2xoko9_540.gif

Edit:
oh noooo this star wars part

lore reasons too good

Last edited:

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
Lore Reasons was too confusing, I mean even more confusing than it should be. Turns out I never listened to the KH3 episode so I'll have to go back to that before I do the ReMind.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
REmind is pretty terrible, but its main value add is the limit cut episode with14 (?) boss fights with mechanics that actually demand exploration of its systems. I think that's why it gets to be 40$ or whatever. That is obviously not a good buy in for everyone but I think the bosses are really good in it, except the asshole with the cards who is just a bore.

It addresses that problem with KH where it just had nothing to offer combat wise in terms of depth. Really they should have just released Limit Cut and forgot about the other weird stuff.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no thread for Three Moves Ahead, so I'll put it here: the file for the Mandate of Heaven episode seems to be borked everywhere.

Ah, good.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
That's wonderful for Natalie. Sad for those of us hoping to see her in games media again, but seems like a real good situation for her to make some great games.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
That's a cool position for Natalie. I'm happy for her, and hope we'll still hear her as a guest at Waypoint or other places.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for Natalie, glad she finally landed somewhere that seems like a really good fit. Hope she'll still be able to popup on the occasional podcast every once in a while. Congrats, Joyous Gamer!

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Another excellent Gita pod today. Great to hear they're doing an Outer Wilds spoilercast soon too.

Salarians

Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
play.acast.com

Episode 293: The Dragon Age Coffee Shop AU

Waypoint Radio is back with an all Brooklyn pod! Austin, Cado, and Gita shoot the shit about the games they're playing (lots of indie games), the primary (which is going to last forever), and which Dragon Age: Inquisition characters would work in a coffee shop. Cado's enjoying taking photos in...

wow way point thanks for making a podcast just for me

Edit:
here's that good #content my friends dig in

Last edited:

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
play.acast.com

Episode 293: The Dragon Age Coffee Shop AU

Waypoint Radio is back with an all Brooklyn pod! Austin, Cado, and Gita shoot the shit about the games they're playing (lots of indie games), the primary (which is going to last forever), and which Dragon Age: Inquisition characters would work in a coffee shop. Cado's enjoying taking photos in...

wow way point thanks for making a podcast just for me

Edit:
here's that good #content my friends dig in

Awesome. I was hoping someone would post these, thanks.

Pour one out for HQ

I remember Austin and Danika were obsessed with this when it first started.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this coffee talk stuff exposed some stuff about Austin's thoughts on va11hall-a I wasn't prepared to hear. :(

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I believe he said broadly that the game has some kinda edgy, shitty stuff in it. Which it does, that's not new information.
That's a fair enough view I think. I think Vallhalla is great but the only think that stops it from being super edgelord is that it has quite a mellow and calm atmosphere throughput.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to the episode yet to hear Austin say stuff, but ss someone who recently played Va-11 Hall-a and wasn't given any strange content warnings:

There's a lot of shitty edge lord stuff sprinkled here and there, but there's also a character misgendering someone for a good bit of game that really serves no dramatic purpose other than in the span of a day or two they stop it, and also THERE IS A SEX ROBOT PURPOSEFULLY MADE TO RESEMBLE A 10-13 YEAR OLD, but don't you worry, she's got the mind of a 24 year old; also, her name is a pun on the girl in Lolita.

I overall enjoyed the chill atmosphere and vibe the game was going for but that stuff, and then the big narrative hook for the last half of the game, are real downers and detractions. And I just wish when people give recommendations for games that have that stuff in it, they gave you a heads up.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I like the stuff in the back half since it's a lot more personal and directed than the kind of meandering first bit, but yeah. I'm not really defending those bits of Valhalla so much as I have just put them to one side and Austin reminded me they exist.

Though I don't remember the misgendering stuff, and honestly I never saw it as edgelordy so much as just... Immersed in chan vibes.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the whole coffee shop au thing is either something I completely missed or is something really specifically North American

Like not even the au bit of it, just this experience of coffee shops

Last edited: