• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
And some people thought Gamergate were only a couple of random incels doing shit on 4chan and Twitter... People have been overall too lenient to the movement and now we have this.

Yep.

Get ready? They were in place since Gamergate started.

Klepek gave a lot of time to Sargon in this piece, not really sure why. But the last paragraph is really troublesome:

"This is our new, unhinged reality, and the question is whether we're prepared to push back. The social networks are not going to do it for us, and our political parties are happy to cynically ride on their backs. We have to bear the burden. That's on us. "

First off, it's not new - at all. Other countries have been heavily influenced by further-right-leaning influences.

Second, check out indivisible.org to give an idea on how for the past few years people in the US have been pushing back, and successfully so.

Third, I'm sensitive to Klepek because he was in that first group of people to be tagged as a "social justice warrior", so he himself has indeed borne that burden. It's important to understand that some of today's younger politically-involved groups want to ultimately "own the influence game" on their party, and think they can do it mostly on-line via twitter and youtube. Of course, when they step out into the real world is when they get in trouble.

But if people continue to write up gamergate as "GamerGate, a hellscape all its own but one where the implications were beyond the grasp of too many. " without explaining and understanding just what went down, then how can people be expected to understand the implications of one of them getting involved with a political party?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Didnt know Sargon was hated here.

I mean, he had, most likely, the most dishonest stance during gamergate and made a mint off it. He's a scam artist, pure and simple. Wiping lonely white kids into a fury because "the scary ladies are coming to take your titties away! Like and subscribe to keep your titties safe!"

The only one more full of shit than him was that dude that went on CNN and said "I believe in two things, the american constitution and titties".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when every other post in a Gamergate discussion was "I don't know anything about this topic, but I found this Breitbart link"?

Remember when one of Donald Trump's posse was the Breitbart guy?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Gamergate politicians" already exist. They may not affiliate with Gamergate and may not even play video games, but they hold the same ideas. They're called the alt-right and have been around for years.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really worrying, but I wouldn't go too far in giving UKIP the significance it so desperately wants. They're on 7% of the vote in their current form. In 2014 they won the Euro elections with 26%. They aren't exactly the political mainstream anymore in the UK

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Carl of Swindon gets punked even by Neo-Nazis. Would fold like wet tissue paper in a genuine debate.

He'd keep interrupting the other person after every sentence to assert a smug superiority over not understanding literally anything that was coming out of their mouth or how a basic argument is even constructed.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"Gamergate politicians" already exist. They may not affiliate with Gamergate and may not even play video games, but they hold the same ideas. They're called the alt-right and have been around for years.

Yup. Steve Bannon was in Parliment YESTERDAY.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
He'd keep interrupting the other person after every sentence to assert a smug superiority over not understanding literally anything that was coming out of their mouth or how a basic argument is even constructed.
He is the Dunning-Kruger effect incarnate.

Still, in a proper hustings with a moderator it'd largely stop the "talk over opponent until you pretend to win" tactic.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
UojpjyB.png

Candace is one fucked up woman, I mean look at her fucking comments about having no problems with white nationalism and Hitler in February

Hell at last week's House Judiciary hearing on hate crimes and white nationalism, Rep Ted Lieu (very good man and knows his shit) played the first 30 seconds of her comments and asked Eileen Hershenov, a senior vice president at the Anti-Defamation League, "when people try to legitimize Hitler, does that feed into white nationalist ideology?" "It does, Mr. Lieu," Hershenov replied. "I know that Ms. Owens distanced herself from those comments later, but we expressed great concern over the original comments."

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
This isn't all that shocking to me, honestly. Gamergate was always basically a recruitment drive for the far-right. So this is just a far-right party recruiting a micro-celebrity pseudointellectual to help them get votes.

What I find funny about this is that Carl, for the longest time, tried to pretend that he was the "centrist", the "classical liberal", the "voice of reason" between the "far right" and the "sjw's". He was, of course, only pretending since he was clearly far more invested in fighting against "SJW's" then anything, but it was something he tried to use to make himself seem more reasonable, whether he was doing it deliberately or bc he sincerely believed it. However recently he seems to have found no need to keep up the farce any longer, between him saying "I'd rather let the alt-right win than the SJW's" and then signing up for an explicitly far right party.

At least now he's honest about what he really believes in.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It's really worrying, but I wouldn't go too far in giving UKIP the significance it so desperately wants. They're on 7% of the vote in their current form. In 2014 they won the Euro elections with 26%. They aren't exactly the political mainstream anymore in the UK
Yeah, I know there's definitely no ill intentions with this article but I feel like it only serves to legitimise UKIP and Carl Benjamin.

I hope I'm eating my words here but he has absolutely no chance of getting elected. Even if the article is about how terrible he is giving him publicity only aids his cause.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Humans are extremely predictable, while the arc of history leans towards being more open and better each generation tends to react against the previous. 60s and 70s were all about anti-establishment of the 40s and 50s, 80s was all about "greed is good" against the hippies of the 70s, 90s was GenX "whatever man I don't care information wants to be free", the last two decades have been about social activism and now we are seeing the backlash and a move towards white nationalism, conservatism, pro-religion, etc.

It'll probably get even worse but the next generation will likely whip back towards a 60s and 70s counter culture, cynically manipulated by the few who figure out what kids yearn for.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah, addressing what you see in games, talking about the content in evident manner, you can be a "fake gamer". What a troll he was. And the notion of "fake gamers" is also sort of a crux on the whole issue of toxic gamers. If you aren't deep enough into the medium or if you don't fit certain stereotypes then apparently your criticism towards the medium is not legimiate. What gamers especially don't get is then that the historic underrepresentation and participation of women in games is also often part of why they might not seem as "in" on certain aspects of the medium because people are gatekeeping them.

The problem gamers see is the same problem they make. It's really stupid.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when PewDiePie thanked this guy in one of his video descriptions and directly linked to him after Sargon defended him in one of his videos 2 years ago? That was fun.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
To the ppl that say just ignore them this is why you cant so take your head out the sand and either speak up or get out the way

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Just to add some context to this, as I feel many people even in Britain don't know.

UKIP or the UK Independence Party, are largely the driving force behind Brexit. Now when I say that, I massively simplify the situation. Britain's fractuos relationship with the EU is built up over many years and is multi-faceted and stupid in so many ways it makes my toes hurt.

However, UKIP, as a party, took away significant votes from the leading right wing party in the UK, the Conservatives (or Tories as they are also known). They barely had any elected representatives but they took votes away from the Tories and allowed their rivals to take seats.

To get them back, our prime minister at the time, a Tory, promised a referendum on our membership of the European Union. The assumption was that we would vote to remain and the whole thing could be shelved for a while.

What actually happended is Leave won and we have been left in the middle of a public collapse of our politics ever since.

Back to UKIP. Job done, most people abandoned the party, it's membership collapsed and it lost any sembelance or relevance. Those left in charge have pushed the party to the hard right. Make no mistake, the party was racist before but in the dog whistle bullshit way that allows them enough wriggle room to refute claims of racism to those not paying attention.

As part of their new direction, the leadership welcomed in a group of alt-right youtubers, such as Sargon of Twatsville. To attract the young and disenfranchised they could never hope of being of interest to, because (plot twist) they are all old white men.

The evidence of their influence can be seen in the declaration that UKIP stand with pewdiepie. Of course they do.

This was enough to make even some of these old racists quit.

The problem now is, with Brexit in total paralysis because it was a terrible ill thought out and poorly implemented shitshow, does UKIP's name attract back those angry with the way everything is handled. Don't just assume UKIP are a lost cause, they have proved before they don't need actual bums on seats in parliment to have an influence.

Likely most voters will follow tosspot -in- supreme, Nigel Farage to his new party but predicting politics is now officially a mug's game.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what this is about but I just found this very enlightening article on warongamers.com and I am also just here to ask some questions.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the Milo twitter quotes is gold, I remember when he was held up as a TRUE GAMER by these chucklefucks who set out to poison our hobby.

GamerGate was around years before, but not under a single banner, if you think back to stuff like how Jade Raymond was slobbered over when she presented the original Assassin's Creed back in 2006/7 as well as the vitriol Tropes Vs Women got. On my part I wasn't interested in it so I didn't take part in the crowdfunding but I was glad it did well, particularly when Anita and the rest of Feminist Frequency were bombarded with constant hate.

Back on topic, it seems like the Brexit Party (Ugh) will be taking the lion's share of UKIP voters as the ever lovely Nigel Farage is running the show there and their motives are pretty much the same. Hopefully the vote splits enough that Carl fails to get in or if he does win, that he comes to a realisation about his beliefs (Doubt it).

Are there any gamer politicians who aren't fools? The only who I'm aware of is Tom Watson but hopefully that'll change and we can then all celebrate with our glorious leftist gamer politicians who know what jump-cancelling is. :)

Oct 31, 2017
Video games are inherently psychologically manipulative/exploitative, on top of being a pricey, pure leisure hobby so of course the medium is a perfect political breeding ground.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GamerGators think they're bigger than they are. He's not going to make a dent especially since he's running for UKIP, a party its leaders just straight up abandoned.

Oct 28, 2017
On the plus side, the younger generations continue to trend further left, even more so than their predecessors each time. Some of my younger coworkers are openly communist. Even as recently as a decade ago, that would have been unthinkable.

But the right combats this with open extremism and direct violence. They know they're falling out of favor so they'll do the only thing they can do: Try to thin the opposition's numbers through violence, be it direct or systemic.