• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, that sure sounds like South Park alright. Parker and Stone gotta shit on everything because they think being "centrists" makes them morally superior.

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is South Park in a nutshell. For 20+ years now, they've made jokes about literally every demographic they can think of. Doesn't matter if it's race, religion, nationality, location (ie: Southerners), gender, political leaning, etc.

I think it's kind of missing the point if you're getting upset over South Park, since that's exactly what they're aiming to do. Make crass jokes. The good thing is that they never really stick with one target. If you feel like you're the target of a set of jokes and don't find it funny, wait a week or two and an episode will be poking fun at an entirely new group which you will find funny.
People who keep saying this keep missing the point.

South Park is a very popular series and this is the FIRST video game of note on consoles where you can choose trans as the option. And it's not "poking fun". This is very seriously, debilitating stuff in the real world. And we have to stop letting people get away with this stuff.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I was made pretty uncomfortable with the PC principal thing and told the Ubi rep when I played it.

The game, and South Park in general, are lauded for being shock humor and you're the fool for not appreciating and loving it. It has an inborn defense for anything it may handle poorly and I felt like that would be true if I wrote about that in my preview.

It's not sick, it's just bad, and I wish we could have a larger discussion about South Park and stuff like this without people going "That's just South Park, man! You know what you're getting into!"
There's also probably a discussion worth having over how South Park has been around for so long that it's gone from being anti-establishment to being the establishment, with its viewership taking a show that now spent over twenty years railing against the idea of sacred cows and turning it into a sacred cow in its own right.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is South Park in a nutshell. For 20+ years now, they've made jokes about literally every demographic they can think of. Doesn't matter if it's race, religion, nationality, location (ie: Southerners), gender, political leaning, etc.

I think it's kind of missing the point if you're getting upset over South Park, since that's exactly what they're aiming to do. Make crass jokes. The good thing is that they never really stick with one target. If you feel like you're the target of a set of jokes and don't find it funny, wait a week or two and an episode will be poking fun at an entirely new group which you will find funny.

But those jokes get repeated by their fans, often missing the context of what the joke may or may not be trying to tell people. Once that 'joke' is out there, there's no taking it back. It doesn't actually go away just because a week passed. As grandwizorb put it, South Park's humor straddles a very uncomfortable line where the joke and the message are blurred enough that even if something isn't intended to be mean spirited, it can be taken that way because of how flatly the content is presented. When that happens, is the joke really all that funny? We should not excuse things that can be extremely harmful and perpetuate bigotry, even if it is an accident. Humor is not, and never has been, exempt from criticism.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful, I was so excited a few months ago when I saw it was possible to be a trans character.

I'll be skipping this. F+@$ the developers.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Criticism of South Park always seems fruitless because people just fire back the whole "it's South Park what did you expect" retort like that absolves them.

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
The point that a lot of people seem to be missing is that the humor here at the expense of trans people didn't come off as satire, didn't come off as a silly exaggeration, because it's just a repeat of what trans people go through on a daily basis. It's possible to satirize these kinds of scenarios, but to the author of this piece, the "jokes" here hit too close to home and unfortunately missed the mark of humor that South Park is able to nail for other demographics. It's the difference between "Hey look at this shitty thing that happened to you. Isn't it hilarious?" and "Look at how ridiculous this is that stuff like this happens" that South Park failed to get to here.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
If the reception to this is anything like what happened when the pre-release trailer represented a dead woman as a racist caricature fish in an attempt to mock her son, prepare to have every great point made in the OP ignored in favor of "But they make fun of everyone" repeated again and again.

As if that somehow is an actual argument against criticizing the jokes they make.

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To all the people saying "This is what south park has always done, you can't get mad at them"

could you please point me to ANOTHER non-indie game made where I can play as an explicitly trans character but doesn't shit on them?

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Author clearly missed the point of the attacks of the rednecks outside the school. Regardless of what you choose, cisgender or otherwise, the rednecks are quite clearly portrayed as petty assholes who are looking for literally any excuse to be assholes. That seems pretty on point as far as I'm concerned.
She addressed this point clearly in the article, noting that this excuse is insufficient in light of the disproportionate way transgender individuals are targeted. That's to say nothing about the subtext of the article, which is that from the perspective of someone who is trans, playing this game is an extremely uncomfortable experience.

If your goal as a South Park writer is to expose the many ways our culture is transphobic, shouldn't your game be more uplifting if you're trans?

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Just because something is purposely shitty doesn't mean you can't call it out for being shitty. The worst part about South Park is that any time you try and have a critical conversation about something within it people will just dismiss it as missing the point. I get the point, but that doesn't mean their point can't still be bad

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Kotaku Splitscreen had an episode on this last week. Kirk brought up that South Park is very much still "white bro" humor and often when they are throwing grenades everywhere they miss and make marginalized groups the butt of their jokes.

Also Jason if you are reading this the word coon is modern and prevalent and South Park is gas lighting with that low hanging non-joke. It is not an outdated word.

I 100% endorse this reply. I was listening to the same episode and felt that they (Kotaku) nailed it.

That and "coon" is very mordern still. I havent really watched South Park much since middle school, so when I heard that Cartman's character in the game's name was "Coon", my immediate thought was that the game was probably made by white people who only associate with other white people.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If the reception to this is anything like what happened when the pre-release trailer represented a dead woman as a racist caricature fish in an attempt to mock her son, prepare to have every great point made in the OP ignored in favor of "But they make fun of everyone" repeated again and again.

As if that somehow is an actual argument against criticizing the jokes they make.

Yea, that was astoundingly gross.

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
To all the people saying "This is what south park has always done, you can't get mad at them"

could you please point me to ANOTHER non-indie game made where I can play as an explicitly trans character but doesn't shit on them?

Can you name indie games in which you can? Maybe don't if it is going to spoil it.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not equivalent in the slightest, though. Cisgender characters are still mentioned as people, while trans characters are literally referred to as "that thing". It's dehumanising and shitty, far more than the other options get.

It sucks that this was a terrible "inclusion", but coming from South Park and Ubisoft, there wasn't alot of faith of it being good to begin with. Hopefully down the line there be games that include everyone and it is dealt with passion and not just trying to shoehorn anything in. Video games are fantastic and everyone should be able to see themselves in a protag.

See the above posts.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She addressed this point clearly in the article, noting that this excuse is insufficient in light of the disproportionate way transgender individuals are targeted. That's to say nothing about the subtext of the article, which is that from the perspective of someone who is trans, playing this game is an extremely uncomfortable experience.

If your goal as a South Park writer is to expose the many ways our culture is transphobic, shouldn't your game be more uplifting if you're trans?

I can't speak for Parker and Stone but I would've thought the idea was they want to show a potentially trans player that they're acutely aware of the shit they go through in their lives, not necessarily that they're joining in with the pointing and laughing. You have to remember, the actual town of South Park is depicted (especially in this game) as a debaucherous shithole full of assholes. Having an openly trans character walk down the street and not cop harassment wouldn't fit the setting, frankly.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean it seems you more have a problem with the industry here. It isn't South Park's fault no other game maker has made trans an option in character creation.

The point that a lot of people seem to be missing is that the humor here at the expense of trans people didn't come off as satire, didn't come off as a silly exaggeration, because it's just a repeat of what trans people go through on a daily basis. It's possible to satirize these kinds of scenarios, but to the author of this piece, the "jokes" here hit too close to home and unfortunately missed the mark of humor that South Park is able to nail for other demographics. It's the difference between "Hey look at this shitty thing that happened to you. Isn't it hilarious?" and "Look at how ridiculous this is that stuff like this happens" that South Park failed to get to here.

Yeah this does seem like SP absurdist style humor that just missed the mark/didn't realize how real it is. Which is bad. I don't think Matt and Trey have any contempt towards trans people. They are probably just widely ignorant to their day to day lives.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
There's also probably a discussion worth having over how South Park has been around for so long that it's gone from being anti-establishment to being the establishment, with its viewership taking a show that now spent over twenty years railing against the idea of sacred cows and turning it into a sacred cow in its own right.

But those jokes get repeated by their fans, often missing the context of what the joke may or may not be trying to tell people. Once that 'joke' is out there, there's no taking it back. It doesn't actually go away just because a week passed. As grandwizorb put it, South Park's humor straddles a very uncomfortable line where the joke and the message are blurred enough that even if something isn't intended to be mean spirited, it can be taken that way because of how flatly the content is presented. When that happens, is the joke really all that funny? We should not excuse things that can be extremely harmful and perpetuate bigotry, even if it is an accident. Humor is not, and never has been, exempt from criticism.

These feel like pretty important factors as well. One of the problems with satire is that people may take the subjects as what make the gag 'funny', rather than the context or the actual intent of the joke. Hence so many people have come to believe that Blazing Saddles is a film that 'couldn't be made today' because it offends everyone, when in reality the vast bulk of the 'offensive' humour is aimed squarely at making the bigots the butt of the joke. It doesn't change that Blazing Saddles itself has little sympathy for such people, but but that simply isn't the extent of its influence.

So in the case of South Park, even if the intent of the joke here is read as 'Rednecks are bigoted idiots looking for any reason to hate on people', it's not hard to see how some might read it simply as 'jokes about trans people are funny', which is a whole other can of worms and one they could have taken greater care about.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Yep, that sure sounds like South Park alright. Parker and Stone gotta shit on everything because they think being "centrists" makes them morally superior.

I don't think it's about being "morally superior". I think they just do it because it's funny and successful. By targeting every group they can, someone somewhere will find it funny. It's no surprise that the show is still massively successful after 20 years.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's ironic, indeed. At some point it stops being transgressive and becomes the norm, and I think South Park crossed that line long ago.

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it seems you more have a problem with the industry here. It isn't South Park's fault no other game maker has made trans an option in character creation..
But it IS South Park and Ubisoft's fault that they decided "we're going to be the first studio to let you play as a trans character....and you are going to have to face ALL the discrimination you face in the real world! and it'll be HILARIOUS"

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But it IS South Park and Ubisoft's fault that they decided "we're going to be the first studio to let you play as a trans character....and you are going to have to face ALL the discrimination you face in the real world! and it'll be HILARIOUS"

AGAIN. The lines let's welcome this "thing" to our town happen NO MATTER WHICH CHOICE YOU MAKE.

The lines "You've got big raisins for a boy" and "You're pretty for a boy" happen if you choose cisgendered female as well, implying that due to the events of SoT (and the lack of a gender option) the guys thought you were a girl the whole time. Mr.Mackey's reactions confirm this.

Explain to me how a dialogue tree that doesn't consider trans or cis options and treats you for who you declare to be is discriminatory.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a cis dude who played the game as a trans girl. I'd say it actually gave me a bit of perspective on how annoying it is to be misgendered. I couldn't imagine how infuriating it would be in real life.

I totally get why trans people would have problems with this though.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

On that note, I doubt the majority of people who bought SP are trans, so maybe it will be eye opening for them? I don't know, I already said I can see how this is absurdism that missed the mark. Do you think they shouldn't have included the option since they are the first ones to do so?

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AGAIN. The lines let's welcome this "thing" to our town happen NO MATTER WHICH CHOICE YOU MAKE.

The lines "You've got big raisins for a boy" and "You're pretty for a boy" happen if you choose cisgendered female as well, implying that due to the events of SoT (and the lack of a gender option) the guys thought you were a girl the whole time. Mr.Mackey's reactions confirm this.

Explain to me how a dialogue tree that doesn't consider trans or cis options and treats you for who you declare to be is discriminatory.
You're completely missing the point! Any person that plays the game and chooses trans is going to think they are being discriminated against because of what the ARE. It's not equivalent!

How about the fact that the game still calls you he/him in cutscenes despite playing a trans girl?

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I'm more commenting on the premise of the article. Any oppressed group is going to have a bad time with South Park.
Which is why we are criticizing it, and it's position as a beloved game series that is known for having the first and last word on many social issues for many of its fans, and doing this shit, in 2017, when many much better properties have shown you don't have to resort to this BS to make comedy.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, were people expecting a positive representation or a realistic representation?

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're completely missing the point! Any person that plays the game and chooses trans is going to think they are being discriminated against because of what the ARE. It's not equivalent!

How about the fact that the game still calls you he/him in cutscenes despite playing a trans girl?

How about the fact that it's the same if you play a cisgendered girl? They refer you as dude and him. Don't believe me?

18:55

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's even possible to have a positive representation of transgender people when it's a character customization choice. I feel like it would always at best be neutral and at worst incredibly offensive. I can definitely see many stories worth telling with a preset protagonist that is trans, but I really have no idea how a game could handle that as a choice positively.

Not making excuses for South Park, btw, never gave a shit about it, just curious about this part of the discussion that came up, about it being probably the first game that allows you to choose to be a transgender character.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Do people find such jokes funny? Do I just have a stick up my butt? Kinda scratching my head here.

1. Yes

2. No

Humor is subjective. Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean you "have a stick up your butt." Don't put yourself down like that. All it means is that South Park (or maybe just a portion of South Park's jokes), aren't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Hey, there's tons of popular comedies (looking at you Rick & Morty) that I don't find funny. I find South Park hysterical though.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why we are criticizing it, and it's position as a beloved game series that is known for having the first and last word on many social issues for many of its fans, and doing this shit, in 2017, when many much better properties have shown you don't have to resort to this BS to make comedy.
Sure, it's completely fair to criticize what they are doing.

Inco

Oct 27, 2017

So are you getting upset that two groups would have different reactions to the same line? Dehumanising a man doesn't have the same impact as dehumanising a woman or trans person because women and trans people already are the brunt of a lot of dehumanising comments. It's the same thing as presenting a watermelon and bucket of fried chicken as a housewarming gift to new neighbours, which would be overwhelmingly received more critically if the new neighbours were black, while doing so for white neighbours wouldn't be as much of an issue.

It's called "knowing your audience", and it's clear that the devs and writers didn't know their audience when they made this option available.

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So are you getting upset that two groups would have different reactions to the same line? Dehumanising a man doesn't have the same impact as dehumanising a woman or trans person because women and trans people already are the brunt of a lot of dehumanising comments. It's the same thing as presenting a watermelon and bucket of fried chicken as a housewarming gift to new neighbours, which would be overwhelmingly received more critically if the new neighbours were black, while doing so for white neighbours wouldn't be as much of an issue.

It's called "knowing your audience", and it's clear that the devs and writers didn't know their audience when they made this option available.
Exactly.

You could have a tradition of giving all of your friends a watermelon at Christmas, because of an inside joke from years ago that everyone loved. But if you gave it to a black friend, would they be wrong to feel incredibly offended? Hell no! You'd be an ass for not having more tact.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so you're saying that despite the developers understanding the continuity issues of Stick of Truth's lack of gender choices, thus forcing characters to continue believing that you're a guy/king, giving players a way to circumvent this issue by being able to choose their gender in the new game, using Mr.Mackey's call to your parents as an aside to the player about this whole issue, then making the dialogue tree not discriminate between the choices between cis and trans is problematic?

critttler

Oct 25, 2017
this is a great article, thanks to jennifer for taking the time to dissect this tiring bullshit.

if y'all aren't happy with the article for actually addressing the game's failure in representing trans women, you can read literally every other review of this game.

it sucks so much that south park gets constantly gets a pass on this stuff because they've been doing it so long.

ChestRockwell

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly.

You could have a tradition of giving all of your friends a watermelon at Christmas, because of an inside joke from years ago that everyone loved. But if you gave it to a black friend, would they be wrong to feel incredibly offended? Hell no! You'd be an ass for not having more tact.

Poor example.

Providing every friend receives a watermelon. However, if only the "black" friend receives said watermelon...different story.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
I applaud the fact that no matter what gender or race you choose, the game treats you equally shitty. Its probably not the best idea to come into a game like South Park looking for positive depictions of virtually ANYTHING.

Mzril

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok let me ask this for an example then, if the dehumanizing dialogue/redneck boss fight only happened in the specific instance that players selected trans and the developers outright came and said "This is to capture the prejudice that these people feel in their lives" and basically included these extra hardmode battles for that gender choice only, would this reflect better or worse?

Because I am becoming impossibly confused about if developers should attempt to address these issues by treating choices equally or doing stuff like the above.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My thinking with the "it's not discrimination if it's the same for everyone" is that it's a really weird veneer of progressiveness that isn't actually all that progressive. You could have gone with the options of:

1. Depicting the discrimination honestly to highlight that it happens in real life
2. Not including the discrimination at all

Instead you turn it into some "but it happens for everyone" thing, which belittles that this is an issue that trans people face specifically. Okay, you treated everyone equally, good for you, but you did so in a way that mocks people who aren't treated equally in real life.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Yes

2. No

Humor is subjective. Just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean you "have a stick up your butt." Don't put yourself down like that. All it means is that South Park (or maybe just a portion of South Park's jokes), aren't for you. Nothing wrong with that.

Hey, there's tons of popular comedies (looking at you Rick & Morty) that I don't find funny. I find South Park hysterical though.

I'm gonna have to agree with this and Patrice O Neil on this subject. Humor is very subjective and its not funny to everyone. These jokes might be terrible but I support their right to try their hand at such jokes. Mind you I also fully support anyone who wants to condemn Southparks Matt Stone & Trey Parker for making these jokes.

I would advice anyone to watch this video below ( and ignore the inflammatory title ) :

Patrice not only says that funny people should just be left to try to be funny, but also that not every joke works. In this case I'm sure there are plenty of people who find these specific jokes very distasteful. Yet I do support their rights to make these jokes.

By the way I fully support trans persons or anyone of a non binary gender.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Just because something is purposely shitty doesn't mean you can't call it out for being shitty. The worst part about South Park is that any time you try and have a critical conversation about something within it people will just dismiss it as missing the point. I get the point, but that doesn't mean their point can't still be bad

Yes, exactly this.

South Park is basically extremist-centrism.

OP
OP
Cream

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok let me ask this for an example then, if the dehumanizing dialogue/redneck boss fight only happened in the specific instance that players selected trans and the developers outright came and said "This is to capture the prejudice that these people feel in their lives" and basically included these extra hardmode battles for that gender choice only, would this reflect better or worse?

Because I am becoming impossibly confused about if developers should attempt to address these issues by treating choices equally or doing stuff like the above.

As someone with a non-binary gender, for myself, yes, that would reflect better. And about the "being called a boy" thing, just because the last game did it, it doesn't make it okay that the sequel does it too! The entire point of being a girl is that you want to be, you know, seen as a girl.