• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/GhostsSoup/status/1556746768796221441

View: https://twitter.com/multiversusie/status/1556757741653446656

Dissuading cosmetic mods is definitely a crappier side of F2P monetization, if it is official policy. Proceed at your own risk if you like dunking as Venom Lebron or playing as Fionna the human.

iMhmigC.png

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I had a feeling this was gonna happen I had never seen so many modded screenshots of a F2P game beforešŸ˜­ thought the n64 Superman costume was cool.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I can't think of any F2P games that are okay with modded cosmetic content. That defeats their entire business plan lol.

Aaronsteel

Sep 24, 2018
Disappointed but not surprised, F2P has never been okay with modding and when skins are the main monetization path it was inevitable. Shame as there were a handful that were really well done

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get it. It's a F2P game that will rely on selling players cosmetics and mods are just free cosmetics made by the community.

I don't like it, but I get it.

Best way would be to go the FFXIV way of don't talk (or show) mods but use them privately.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Some team out there is probably already working on a modded offline version of the game, adding custom characters, etc.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Online MP games are usually not ok with mods especially F2P ones. Sometimes you get a ban just cause the game thinks you are running cheats instead of just cosmetic mods. I honestly think Street Fighter and other Fighting games have been outliers in terms of this. I can't believe Capcom haven't gone harder after people who pretty much sell mod costumes.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not every modder deserved to get their stuff taken down, but some were really kicking the hornet's nest having Rick fully playable before his official release.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as a F2P game you can safely play modded

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I can't really think of any online focused game where the entire business model is focused on cosmetics allowing mods that undermine that model. Just using the example in the OP, and the fact that there are probably as we speak, plans being made for additional costumes, how do we know that there's no purchaseable Fionna model being planned?

Well that's a load of bullshit on WBD's part.
Literally explain how?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
There's no such thing as a F2P game you can safely play modded

I was about to say something along the lines of this. They're just not going to allow it, directly fucks with WB's ability to make money. Cosmetic mods literally eat their lunch since after you get the characters, you're bypassing one of their big revenue streams.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well it's a F2P game and they gotta make money from costumes, so I can kind of see their point, but there could be some middle ground because of people are modding your game, plenty of times that means they're very interested and passionate about it.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I can't really think of any online focused game where the entire business model is focused on cosmetics allowing mods that undermine that model. Just using the example in the OP, and the fact that there are probably as we speak, plans being made for additional costumes, how do we know that there's no purchaseable Fionna model being planned?

Literally explain how?
There's already a Cake skin in the current Battle Pass, Fiona is inevitable šŸ™

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean... no shit. It's a heavily monetized game around cosmetics that is blowing the fuck up. They don't want people seeing some screenshot of whatever mod and engaging with the game in a way to get around their future dlc plans.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but folks will still mod regardless, it just won't be as broadcasted

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Just the other day I was praising WBD for accidentally getting something right with this game. Naturally they have to arse it up.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What games with an entire business model centered around cosmetics allow mods? And why wouldn't we consider any obscure example you come up to be an example to very established rules?

Multiversus isn't only about cosmetics, you need to buy characters (or grind like hell). And Capcom games have crazy stuff like totally new playable characters

www.resetera.com

Have you been following the Marvel 3 mod scene? Because you should, it's crazy!

So the mad lads doing mods for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 have gone beyond simple "different versions of existing characters like Orange Hulk instead of Hulk" to full blown new characters, like for example, Cyclops. What started as a simple palette swap for C.Viper last year has evolved into a...

With Sega Genesis collection you can play basically any game released for the console using only Steam Workshop, which to me is much more serious than this because it's basically piracy

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising, but folks will still mod regardless, it just won't be as broadcasted
I wonder if the internet decided to put a spotlight on modding free2play games due to Multiverse or that what Multiverse is and it being on PC is having newcomers learn the hard way with how this industry treats free2play games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So I'll just repeat myself.

You think MvC is a obscure fighting game?

Fine

www.nexusmods.com

Terminator and Rambo Kawaii Shirts Mod

Terminator and Rambo wearing Hatsune Miku shirts. This is a skin mod where the textures on their shirts are modded. Special K is used to install the mods.
www.fandomspot.com

Top 10 Best Brawlhalla Mods You Have To Try ā€“ FandomSpot

Brawlhalla has been around for quite some time now. Developers Blue Mammoth Games were eventually bought out by Ubisoft, making way for some pretty cool crossovers too. Even adding in Rayman as aā€¦

Edit: btw, if they want to not allow mods it's their right. But banning people is unacceptable imo, makes the mod scene a minefield.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You think MvC is a obscure fighting game?
Yes I do believe that the modding scene of a game released more than a decade ago to be an obscure example. Feel like I can say that with full confidence.

Fine

www.nexusmods.com

Terminator and Rambo Kawaii Shirts Mod

Terminator and Rambo wearing Hatsune Miku shirts. This is a skin mod where the textures on their shirts are modded. Special K is used to install the mods.
Bruh do you not know what exceptions to a rule means? Or even what obscure means? Literally only 30 people downloaded the mod you just linked and it's a mod released three years after the initial release and post the developers stating that they're no longer focusing on supporting the game beyond keeping the servers running, not only that, it's not a F2P game. Multiversus just came out and they're defining their business model. Also i'm sure you realize that this isn't just about cosmetics, people are playing the game with modded clients that include unreleased content. Don't understand why you're stanning for players in a situation this clear cut beyond needing to point out "well this extremely small list of OTHER games with entirely different circumstances allow it so the devs are in the wrong here."

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Don't understand why you're stanning for players in a situation this clear cut

Because banning people (especially permanently) for using harmless mods is crazy and prone to abuse

Ubisoft sells XP boosts in their games, so they can ban people using trainers that give infinite XP? Would be awful if this was a thing

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Because banning people for using harmless mods is crazy and prone to abuse
It's not exactly harmless if it interferes with their business model. Because again, this isn't one of the decade old games you happen to follow, that still cost money to purchase. This is a newly released F2P game with a very specific business model. And tell me, how is it harmless to mod an unreleased character into a game??

Ubisoft sells XP boosts, so they can ban people using trainers that give infinite XP?
So why do you keep comparing apples to oranges? Stop bringing up games that aren't ENTIRELY reliant on sources of income beyond the initial purchase of the game. Do you not play f2p games or?

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Don't mod anything into the game they are likely going to add themselves. Should probably avoid adding any wb related mod at all. F2P games will almost never allow this kind of thing.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
What games with an entire business model centered around cosmetics allow mods? And why wouldn't we consider any obscure example you come up to be an example to very established rules?

League of Legends is pretty lax on modded skins, iirc they're only client side but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for them. I'm sure it's technically not allowed in the tos but the difference in enforcement is significant imo

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
This isn't surprising in the least and the modding community should straight up step past this game. Mods for fighters have been amazing, but your efforts are better spent on other stuff where these sorts of things will be appreciated.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's not exactly harmless if it interferes with their business model. Because again, this isn't one of the decade old games you happen to follow, that still cost money to purchase. This is a newly released F2P game with a very specific business model.

I also gave the Brawlhalla example, it's a F2P game

I can't remember many games banning people for modding at all (unless it's done to give infinite HP online or whatever)

Last edited:

quail_lad

Aug 3, 2021
Right or wrong, I think it's pretty obvious why a giant company like wb is going to be a lot more protective of their ips then a smaller, more gaming focused company.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah i can see why, for example like others said the Fionna is a big example of something they will definitely want to add later

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
What's the issue ?
And as long as you're not streaming or uploading video of mods you're going to be totally fine.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I know that Wb is selling cosmetics and so on... But even in beta, actual costumes for the characters are a) ugly as hell b) scarce.

I played today with a guy who had the Reindog alternate skin and aside that the character itself is ugly as sin, the alternate costume is even uglier. Come on WB, go hod wild with the alternate costumes.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised. It sucks, but if your whole business model is to make money on cosmetics, then of course you're gonna shoot down free ones.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Its like people want Free to play fighting games to be a thing but also to not be a thing.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Bruh do you not know what exceptions to a rule means? Or even what obscure means? Literally only 30 people downloaded the mod you just linked and it's a mod released three years after the initial release and post the developers stating that they're no longer focusing on supporting the game beyond keeping the servers running, not only that, it's not a F2P game.
I thought this was just everyday forum hyperbole but lmao there really is just deadass 30 downloads

That said yeah, it sucks, but given what the game is and how it monetizes things, makes sense that they'd crack down on it.