• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope sorry nobody is going to kill my hype for this. If the core fighting and story mode are rad and the online netcode isn't busted then the game is a slam dunk as far as I'm concerned. People bitching about cosmetic shit seems like an incredibly superfluous complaint to levy against the game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what they mean by grindy. Is it similar to T7's mode where you grind for items or is it a bit different? If it's similar to T7 I'm not too mad since I thought that was cool for me.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Nope sorry nobody is going to kill my hype for this. If the core fighting and story mode are rad and the online netcode isn't busted then the game is a slam dunk as far as I'm concerned. People bitching about cosmetic shit seems like an incredibly superfluous complaint to levy against the game.

Cosmetics and customization were a huge part of marketing for this game. Don't toss aside valid criticisms cause you're excited for the game

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Fuck these AAA publishers, seriously. Not the people working there, just the decisionmaking from the top-level which dictates these aggressive methods for chasing monetization. Gaming is no longer about who is good at the games they bought, it's all about who has the most money to play it. I hate it.

Actually, I blame the trend of agile development...

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
LOL. It's OK if you're willing to let it slide but don't defend WB on their bullshit. Besides, this kind of stuff also affects unlocking Fatalities, brutalities, etc.
Not to mention kustomization was a huge selling point for this game.

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cosmetics and customization were a huge part of marketing for this game. Don't toss aside valid criticisms cause you're excited for the game

Sorry, but I find it incredibly stupid. If you're buying a fighting game for cosmetics then probably save yourself money and don't buy the game. The cosmetics are a neat bonus like sprinkles on an already fantastic ice cream sundae. They shouldn't be the reason you show up to the party.

Apr 21, 2018
It's so weird how pathetic AAAs are getting. No thank you. I never thought I'd see the day but I definitely play more indies than retail releases now.

I was interested in MK11. Not anymore.

Apr 21, 2018
Sorry, but I find it incredibly stupid. If you're buying a fighting game for cosmetics then probably save yourself money and don't buy the game. The cosmetics are a neat bonus like sprinkles on an already fantastic ice cream sundae. They shouldn't be the reason you show up to the party.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this an entire mode? Made incredibly difficult so people pay to beat it faster?

I guess gamers can skip the mode entirely, but I find this type of practice deplorable and I choose not to support it. Anything that's pay-to-win or involving micro transactions or loot boxes - no thank you. I think they should be illegal or for M+ games only (which, I guess MK is...)

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that it's always the publisher pushing this stuff has been largely debunked, and it's often just as much on the developer. This is NRS' baby and they should take as much responsibility as WB.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see this impacting my enjoyment of the game but it's still a shame to read. Thankfully it seems like something that could easily be tweaked with a couple of patches, so hopefully NRS is able to implement changes based on feedback.

Assuming that there isn't some sort of day 1 patch that already tweaks everything.

Musubi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this an entire mode? Made incredibly difficult so people pay to beat it faster?

I guess gamers can skip the mode entirely, but I find this type of practice deplorable and I choose not to support it. Anything that's pay-to-win or involving micro transactions or loot boxes - no thank you. I think they should be illegal or for M+ games only (which, I guess MK is...)

That's exactly what Tower mode is supposed to be you can play straight up vanilla towers but also many towers are going to have crazy stipulations and challenges. It's something you are supposed to repeatedly come back to and play casually not focus on. If people get burnt out on playing towers over and over again that's on them. There is plenty else to do in the game.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

You're talking about the wrong fighting game series then, because MK has always had a huge part of the userbase show up for single player, the lore, and the visuals.

Probably more people show up for reasons other than what you do.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Whats the word on the PC version is it fucked this time around? I need PC version to be good so I can mod stuff in.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're talking about the wrong fighting game series then, because MK has always had a huge part of the userbase show up for single player, the lore, and the visuals.

Probably more people show up for reasons other than what you do.

Yeah, in general NRS fighters are often praised/recommended for their SP content.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
That's my goal. I don't want to like, make the game tank or anything, I just want them to have a fair system that -feels fun-.
Absolutely. I don't have a problem playing a fighting game a lot as long as the unlocks I'm aiming to get come at a fairly balanced pace. I just came off of DOA6 where I just used cheat engine to entirely bypass their shitty system before they fixed it because it was possibly even more absurd than this sounds. But the thing is, if it was like old DOA games where it's just beat a round of arcade, time attack whatever, get a costume, I would have been absolutely fine with that, because I want to play the game, what I don't want is to feel like I'm getting beaten into submission in an effort to cave and buy unlock currency.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
People have every right to complain, but cosmetics are so intertwined with microtransactions and skinner box mechanics now that I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to cut them out to save the host.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
You get cooties if you kiss the disc too.

Not to downplay the reported issue but really people take issue with steelbooks?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018
That's exactly what Tower mode is supposed to be you can play straight up vanilla towers but also many towers are going to have crazy stipulations and challenges. It's something you are supposed to repeatedly come back to and play casually not focus on. If people get burnt out on playing towers over and over again that's on them. There is plenty else to do in the game.

I guess I don't mind grinding in games, but it bothers me when I get the sense the difficulty/barriers were arbitrarily put in place to try to get money from me. That practice is so distasteful to me, it sours the entire experience.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'll just use a trainer. I have no problem cheating currencies that try to push you to microtransactions

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
I'll just use a trainer. I have no problem cheating currencies that try to push you to microtransactions

Everything is server based - so I don't think you will have luck with that.
Man what a day - this morning the trailer got me hyped up.

Now all this stuff comes out - bah this industry is so broken sometimes.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Everything is server based - so I don't think you will have luck with that.
Yuuuuup. I saw the news of all the online stuff on a PS4 thread and they were asking why it all had to be online and and the first thing I thought is "cus us dirty PC players are going to try and get around unlocks" but was hoping those unlocks would at least be fair.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this is not true. I mainly play single player and I already paid for the game. I want to be able to unlock all of the content in the game in a reasonable amount of time. I don't want a grind fest. I'm also not very good so I don't want it to be impossible to do.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I have a feeling most of the people coming in here to say "fuck this AAA shit" or "not buying now" feigning some sort of shock had no intention of buying this game in the first place.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked WB didn't get more shit for the lootboxes in Injustice 2

They seemed to have just leaned in further to that shit.
Well Injustice 2 practically threw loot boxes at you for booting up the game. People complained about the UI being bad at managing all the shit they got because it was too much to sort through. If you were getting unlocks in MK11 every two seconds like you did in Injustice 2, I don't think there'd be a problem.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If it's actually bad, I hope NRS fixes it. Will wait for others to chime in before screaming about a burning house, though.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling most of the people coming in here to say "fuck this AAA shit" or "not buying now" feigning some sort of shock had no intention of buying this game in the first place.

I don't know about the others, but mine was pre-ordered (physical) and I'm cancelling it until it is changed. I just can't support this kinda of mentality. I want the game to succeed, but I'll hold off for a while to see how this plays out before I give them my money.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame because I thought the demo was decent. While I was HUGE into fighting game in the 90s and loved playing against other people that is no longer for me. I simply don't have the patience or time to learn the absurd amount of moves that I would need to complete online. Add lag and try-hards and I pretty much want zero part of playing online.

That is why it is so disappointing to read about the single player experience. All this shit they used to do with the crypt years ago added some replay value. Now it is just flat out obnoxious. Going to skip this until the price drops dramatically.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I don't actually have a problem with Towers of Time being grindy and difficult. As someone who doesn't play online pvp in MK, Towers of Time is where I'd be spending basically all my time in the game. It's a mode meant to last for years and years. If you got what you wanted in a day or two it would be pretty pointless.

Let's say I don't have the required boost item for a fight in a tower. Instead of getting mad I see it as, "oh I'll play some other towers to try and get that item instead then".

I think the problem arises because of people who don't really enjoy the Towers of Time for all the endless gameplay it provides for single player, but instead see it as a wall to get around to get to the costumes they want.

What I DO have a big problem with though is that everything is tied to a online server. I mean you can't even save your variations without a server connection! I was hoping you'd still be able to play 99% of the game offline line Injsutice 2 but nope, they had to tack on mandatory online :(

Last edited:

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Single player is where I spend most of my time with MK and unfortunately this sounds like a huge step in the wrong direction. I was just about to pre-order too..I think I'm gonna wait at least a week for some in depth SP impressions.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yeah went from Day 1 to wait for reviews/impressions and MK is one of my favorite franchises ever.

The fact that almost everything (including offline stuff) seems to be tied to a server is the killing blow for me.

Some mobile devs have more scruples than WB.

even saving your variations is server tied, when the servers are offline you can make a variation but it won´t save it at all.
and the game contacts the servers after every match (so good luck for that Switch version...)

all in all the game is riddled with slow progression, which is clearly there to ensure pushing MTX, obnoxious modifiers which apply to the player but not the AI and "fun" stuff like enemies with super health or a tag team with super health against the player with a single healthbar.

I don't actually have a problem with Towers of Time being grindy and difficult. As someone who doesn't play online pvp in MK, Towers of Time is where I'll be spending basically all my time in the game. It's a mode meant to last for years and years. If you got what you wanted in a day or two it would be pretty pointless.

Let's say I don't have the required boost item for a fight in a tower. Instead of getting mad I see it as, "oh I'll play some other towers to try and get that item instead then".

I think the problem arises because of people who don't really enjoy the Towers of Time for all the endless gameplay it provides for single player, but instead see it as a wall to get around to get to the costumes they want.

What I DO have a big problem with though is that everything is tied to a online server. I mean you can't even save your variations without a server connection!

wait till you play the towers, they are awful with annoying modifiers and no fun at all. don´t assume that people see this "as a wall to get around to get to costumes". the rate in which you will unlock gear is ridiculously slow as is.

do you want to bash your head against a wall for 10 or 20 tries when it comes to the final stages of a tower? then, this game is for you.
look i platinumed Sekiro and had fun and after 10 towers in MK11 i don´t have fun.

Eh i need to experience it for myself. I dont mind grinding for stuff instead of getting handed out like candy to everyone.

Its like expecting to unlock all Overwatch skins after a day.

it isn´t. it is ridiculously slow and destroys the motivation to even try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually have a problem with Towers of Time being grindy and difficult. As someone who doesn't play online pvp in MK, Towers of Time is where I'll be spending basically all my time in the game. It's a mode meant to last for years and years. If you got what you wanted in a day or two it would be pretty pointless.

What I DO have a problenm with though is that everything is tied to a online server. I mean you can't even save your variations without a server connection!

There's a difference between a fun grind and a miserable grind. It's tied into the reward structure and the difficulty. Sounds like they have taken a step back on both fronts when compared to their last game, Injustice 2 (Which was a -fun- grind)

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
WB is a trash tier publisher and I'm never buying anything from them. It's sad they got some of the best IPs around.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
There's a difference between a fun grind and a miserable grind. It's tied into the reward structure and the difficulty. Sounds like they have taken a step back on both fronts when compared to their last game, Injustice 2 (Which was a -fun- grind)
That is in the eye of the beholder though. I've seen quite a few people on here calling Injustice 2's multiverse bullshit for not giving them the gear drop they wanted. It's like they just play the mode for the reward and not for the actual gameplay.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I only buy fighting games for SP content and unlockables/cosmetics

I don't care one bit about MP

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I love these kind of threads because people in first page probably never plays topic related game or even reads OP but just says shit like " well this makes me not buy it"

like you were going to buy at first place

Jan 11, 2018
What I DO have a big problem with though is that everything is tied to a online server. I mean you can't even save your variations without a server connection! I was hoping you'd still be able to play 99% of the game offline line Injsutice 2 but nope, they had to tack on mandatory online :(

Yeah, this shit needs to be patched out.