• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
With Rocksteady's recent debunking of Superman and hints that their project is still a ways off (probably next gen), I thought it might be better to look across the pond and see if I could find anymore info on DC games from WB's other studio. I might not have found the exact project, but I may have found a possible release date.

A 3D Animator who works for WB Montreal listed on his LinkedIn Profile "Project 2019." This obviously points to some sort of release from WB Montreal for next year. Image source in case it gets deleted: https://imgur.com/a/98XPzhD

Other LinkedIn profiles from various people at WB Montreal point to one game starting in late 2016/early 2017, and another going into full development right about now(ton of hirings that started in October 2018, and a new ip job posting).

We know that WB Montreal is working on two DC games, confirmed by their own designer. He mentioned that he just finished work on a game around the end of summer, and just started work on a new project, both at WB Montreal.

One game was rumored to be a co op DC game, probably reusing assets from the Damian game.

The other, has been told from job postings to be a next gen, new IP that specifically asks for multiplayer. Whether that means it has heavy multiplayer is anyone's guess for now. WB Montreal has included separate competitve multiplayer modes from their main console game, like in Batman Arkham Origins.

In the past it was rumored that WB Montreal was working on a Suicide Squad game and a Damian Wayne Batman game. Well, according to jschreier the Suicide Squad game was cancelled in late December of 2016, right before it was supposed to be announced at the Game Awards after failing to impress WB executives. They then shifted all focus to a Damian Wayne Batman game, and at some point in 2016, it was also reported by Jason Schreier that the game was rebooted. Since then, there hasn't been any word on the goings at WB Montreal, but they could have something to show soon.

WB Montreal has also been linked to a Superman game in the past. It leaked on LinkedIn, and had various concept art and assets leak as well. Most of the Superman related easter eggs in Arkham Knight seemed to have pointed to this, but unfortunately the game seems to have either been cancelled or indefinitely shelved.

It's also good to note that back in 2012, when development for Arkham Knight was taking longer than expected, WB put WB Montreal on the Batman license to make an Arkham game to fill in the time between releases.

With Rocksteady presumably not coming until 2020, it seems like the door could be wide open for WB Montreal. So what do you guys think it could be?

EDIT: Something to note, a lot of the other LinkedIn profiles were listing the 2016/2017 game as PS4/XB1, so it is current gen. Couldn't link every profile so I thought I'd just tell you.

And also, there seems to be some character/weapons/vehicles involved.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it would be done sooner but every road and walkway in the entirety of montreal is currently under construction and they can't escape their building

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I so hope it's Arkham Beyond but I don't mind what it is. It's 100% some sort of Batman game. I'm confident in saying that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that would be rocksteady's game apparently? or something along those lines.
there's nothing concrete on what Rocksteady is working on other than it's most likely not Superman. with WB Montreal formerly working on a Suicide Squad gaas game, I'm assuming their game is a create-a-hero gaas game. LoSH would easily fit that, though it will lack the mainstay heroes except for Superman and Wonder Woman.

Baqer

Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I think it is safe to say that DC will have something for us in 2019. Now the reason I am a little skeptical about this one is because he lists "Injustice 2" which was developed by Netherealm Studios so maybe Project 2019 may refer to a project in another studio?

But it is still WB so finges crossed I guess. I get the sense that WB games montreal and Rocksteady are collaborating in crafting what is presumbaly a DC Gaming Universe. If Arkham Knight hinted at anything, it's gotta be this.
Anyway, appreciate the find man!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Give me more Batman. I just played through Origins again a couple of days ago. I fucking love their younger angrier Batman. Give me more!

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is safe to say that DC will have something for us in 2019. Now the reason I am a little skeptical about this one is because he lists "Injustice 2" which was developed by Netherealm Studios so maybe Project 2019 may refer to a project in another studio?

But it is still WB so finges crossed I guess. I get the sense that WB games montreal and Rocksteady are collaborating in crafting what is presumbaly a DC Gaming Universe. If Arkham Knight hinted at anything, it's gotta be this.
Anyway, appreciate the find man!
I too thought that at first, but after further inspection of various WB Montreal LinkedIn profiles, it seems that it lines up more with their next project, rather than another studios's. Other WB Montreal employees who have only worked on their own projects, have the same timeline as far as when they started this new project. It's a ton to explain and link in a post.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It has got to be Batman related.

That many development years in they have to be going for the safest project possible.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
It has got to be Batman related.

That many development years in they have to be going for the safest project possible.
That's the safest bet.

But they have at least 3 cancelled projects they could be pulling assets from: Batman, Suicide Squad and Superman. Their game could be absolutely anything.

But it probably is Batman. Batman's the cash cow.(Praying for Superman tho)

Oct 26, 2017
It's time.

latest

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it really is a Bat-Family game i'm curious if it will be in the same universe of the Arkham series.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman: Arkham Beyond.

Safe yet heavily requested. Kevin Conroy back, Will Friedle as Terry. Blight main villain until a twist makes it an adaption of Return of the Joker with Mark Hamill.

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From 4chan (I know I know)

• Wonder Woman: Circle of Light
Release date is October 8th, 2019. This date celebrates Wonder Woman's first appearance.

Systems: PS4/Xbox1/PC

• Game will be revealed at the Video Game Awards with an ingame cinematic trailer and will have an IGN exclusive gameplay reveal shortly after

• The game takes place in modern times, at the peak of Wonder Woman's heroic duties.

• Two maps: Themyscira and Gateway City. The game is completely open world, with portals that transport you between the different worlds. No loading screens. These are two "separate" maps in which you can travel to at any given time, and each has its own side missions and secrets.

• The game is an Action RPG.

• The story revolves around Wonder Woman attempting to stop Circe from being set free from Hades and breaking the Source Wall to rewrite history. The history of the Amazons and Circe have been slightly reworked in the narrative. Circe has a cult that is helping her achieve her goals, both in Gateway and Themyscria.

• There is a multitude of villains/boss fights in this game, some of which aren't directly tied to Wonder Woman. Here's who he knows are villains based on trailer and gameplay reveal: Circe, Hercules, Doctor Poison, the Furies (guess), possibly Brother Blood (another guess) and Killer Frost (the boss fight teased in the gameplay reveal).

• Gameplay: The gameplay is similar to the Arkham games but has been revamped to fit the genre and Wonder Woman. The closest approximation is the new Assassin's Creed combat formula, with Arkham's flow. They implemented a combo system. You have three different kinds of attacks: fast, medium (lasso combos), and hard. Stringing these different attacks together gives you a combo. In addition to this, you also have a jump button which if you hold, will allow Wonder Woman to fly.

• They wanted the flying to give you a visceral and adrenaline reaction. Think Spider-Man's swinging in the PS4 game.

• Another feature to combat is blocking.

• Combat trees. There are three trees: Lasso, Sword and Shield, and Gauntlets. You have two combat stances: regular (gauntlets, fists), and sword/shield. You can change stances in the middle of combat.

• You can unlock different weapon archetypes/stances later in the game, as bow and arrow is shown in the gameplay reveal.

• You can unlock and find new gear for Wonder Woman. Shown in the trailer is default, classic, a more Greek looking outfit with long braid, and jacket variation.

• Most environments are destructible.
https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/441160451

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Release date is October 8th, 2019. This date celebrates Wonder Woman's first appearance.

• Game will be revealed at the Video Game Awards with an ingame cinematic trailer and will have an IGN exclusive gameplay reveal shortly after

• The game takes place in modern times, at the peak of Wonder Woman's heroic duties.

• Two maps: Themyscira and Gateway City. The game is completely open world, with portals that transport you between the different worlds. No loading screens. These are two "separate" maps in which you can travel to at any given time, and each has its own side missions and secrets.

• The story revolves around Wonder Woman attempting to stop Circe from being set free from Hades and breaking the Source Wall to rewrite history. The history of the Amazons and Circe have been slightly reworked in the narrative. Circe has a cult that is helping her achieve her goals, both in Gateway and Themyscria.

• There is a multitude of villains/boss fights in this game, some of which aren't directly tied to Wonder Woman. Here's who he knows are villains based on trailer and gameplay reveal: Circe, Hercules, Doctor Poison, the Furies (guess), possibly Brother Blood (another guess) and Killer Frost (the boss fight teased in the gameplay reveal).

• Gameplay: The gameplay is similar to the Arkham games but has been revamped to fit the genre and Wonder Woman. The closest approximation is the new Assassin's Creed combat formula, with Arkham's flow. They implemented a combo system. You have three different kinds of attacks: fast, medium (lasso combos), and hard. Stringing these different attacks together gives you a combo. In addition to this, you also have a jump button which if you hold, will allow Wonder Woman to fly.

• They wanted the flying to give you a visceral and adrenaline reaction. Think Spider-Man's swinging in the PS4 game.

• Combat trees. There are three trees: Lasso, Sword and Shield, and Gauntlets. You have two combat stances: regular (gauntlets, fists), and sword/shield. You can change stances in the middle of combat.

• You can unlock different weapon archetypes/stances later in the game, as bow and arrow is shown in the gameplay reveal.

• You can unlock and find new gear for Wonder Woman. Shown in the trailer is default, classic, a more Greek looking outfit with long braid, and jacket variation.

this actually sounds really cool, but some of the details i doubt can be possible on current gen consoles, especially the part about teleporting between two large open worlds with no loading screens, but yea that sounds pretty detailed on the gameplay side, and i hope it is true.

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this actually sounds really cool, but some of the details i doubt can be possible on current gen consoles, especially the part about teleporting between two large open worlds with no loading screens, but yea that sounds pretty detailed on the gameplay side, and i hope it is true.

With how big AC: Odyssey's map is, it's possible. I hope so too. It sounds epic.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017

It's nice that we don't need to wait long to get TGA rumours confirmation. But who would be responsible for this project? WB Montreal?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
With how big AC: Odyssey's map is, it's possible. I hope so too. It sounds epic.
ACOD's map however is very much focused on repetition, in general every open world is repeating its assets as much as it can, to both ease on the loading and ease development of such large maps, however by making two different OW maps you need to have distinctive assets for each and I find it very hard to believe they can fit the assets of two open world levels on the memory unless if the leaker is wrong and the game has a cutscene that masks loading.

Anyway I want this to be real, does anyone who knows how to look up domains search whether WB owns websites with "circle of light" in the name? I found a circle of light by no idea who owns it. If we can make the connection between the the leak and WB I think this will be thread worthy.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *takes a deep breath, pauses* ..AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. Not because it doesn't make sense. It makes TOO much sense. Warner Bros making a game based off their newly popular, marketable hero? That ain't happening. Plus too much of it sounds like other games, from this year. "It's like Assassin's Creed...." "Like Spider-Man..." Nope. We're getting a freaking Batman game, because that's what they do. They give a half-hearted effort to another character, claim "Oh it didn't work", then shit out more Batman. People eat it up, claim "he's DC's best hero" and on and on.

Deleted member 25448

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. *takes a deep breath, pauses* ..AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. Not because it doesn't make sense. It makes TOO much sense. Warner Bros making a game based off their newly popular, marketable hero? That ain't happening. Plus too much of it sounds like other games, from this year. "It's like Assassin's Creed...." "Like Spider-Man..." Nope. We're getting a freaking Batman game, because that's what they do. They give a half-hearted effort to another character, claim "Oh it didn't work", then shit out more Batman. People eat it up, claim "he's DC's best hero" and on and on.

Hype deflated :( As much as I like Batman, I do agree they should let someone else have a game.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

This is horse shit and I'll tell you why.

1) The only people who know what's gonna be revealed at the Game Awards are the board members and the studios whose games are getting revealed. Stage hands and others won't know until about a day before, if at all.

2) The title. If that was the title then WB would've secured the domain by now, and none of that is taken. WB secures domains early, so any time you see a post like this and the domain is available, it's fake.

3) No way WB would put Montreal on a WW game in the beginning of 2017, before the movie came out, not knowing if it would be successful.

Sorry my man.

EDIT: The two options for this studio are only Batman and Superman

Baqer

Banned
Oct 21, 2018

1) The only people who know what's gonna be revealed at the Game Awards are the board members and the studios whose games are getting revealed. Stage hands and others won't know until about a day before, if at all.

2) The title. If that was the title then WB would've secured the domain by now, and none of that is taken. WB secures domains early, so any time you see a post like this and the domain is available, it's fake.

3) No way WB would put Montreal on a WW game in the beginning of 2017, before the movie came out, not knowing if it would be successful.

Sorry my man.

Defo. Just to add to this point

I remember Jason was talking in a Podcast (I don't remember where and when) and he mentions that WB Montreal tried to pivot to a Justice League game but that didn't happen. We know they tried to get Superman, Batman and Suicide Squad from the ground but failed.
Now with new leadership, the most likely projects they will put out will be akin to what they tried to get to work as they will be reusing their assests where plausible.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry my man.

There are plenty of other options, but realistically if they were going to put a game out in 2019 it would be Batman. We were close to a Damian Wayne game two years ago.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018

Yep. Marvel is going to eat DC's lunch even though DC dominated the video game landscape for years, because unlike DC they aren't obsessed with one character. WB will have no one to blame but themselves for fucking up their chance to capitalize on the goodwill Rocksteady brought, just like how they fucked up their post-Nolan movies.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Marvel is going to eat DC's lunch even though DC dominated the video game landscape for years, because unlike DC they aren't obsessed with one character. WB will have no one to blame but themselves for fucking up their chance to capitalize on the goodwill Rocksteady brought, just like how they fucked up their post-Nolan movies.
This post makes no sense. Marvel Games essentially died and now they just license games to publishers. They're not eating anything so much as they basically have everyone available to work on their properties if they can simply come to an agreement with them. That's a lot easier than having to fund and create your own games internally. Warner Bros. have limited resource. Rocksteady, who are their most famous developer, have less than 200 people. The only other developer they have that we know are working on DC properties is WB Montreal. You can't expect them to magically have 6 different big superhero games in development when they're having to do all the legwork themselves. They don't have the luxury of working with Sony, Square Enix, or any other big publisher that may be interested.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

Your post basically sums up my feelings

I kinda really hope it's not more Batman...but I know that's what it will be. WB seems to have no time for any of their massive roster of legendary heroes except for Batman. They put little to no effort into marketing anything else and then throw their hands up when it doesn't work.

At least a Bat Family game would give a bit of variety, I guess.

Baqer

Banned
Oct 21, 2018

Yup! My thoughts and feelings exactly

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

For those that don't know, that's WB Montreal's Game Director

Last edited:
OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE: Game Director at WB Montreal has confirmed they are going to show the game to WB executives in LA this week. They won't be at the Game Awards, but last time this happened, the Damian game was supposed to be announced a month later, but it failed to impress the higher ups. This, alongside a tweet that the game director liked himself all but confirms a 2019 DC game release.