• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I reported on some job listings that pointed to WB Montreal's next project being a multiplayer, next-gen, new IP, and now it seems like more has been spilled on yet another one of their projects.

In a recent interview, Osama Dorias, a Senior Game Designer at WB Montreal, let it spill that he just finished working on an open world, DC Universe main console game and has moved onto a new, different WB Montreal project. He also mentioned that the property he worked on is a major DC property, and one of the main reasons he joined WB Montreal alongside his former Ubisoft boss and WB Montreal's new Game Director, Geoff Ellenor.

Easy assumption would be that WB Montreal has been tinkering away at yet another installment in the Arkham franchise, but after a look at his various social media profiles, the game may actually be something different. Osama happens to be a big Batman fan, but someone also plastered on his Instagram file is none other than the big blue boyscout himself, Superman. WB Montreal has worked on a Superman game in the past, but it seems as if it never got to the greenlight stage and was canned. With the new change in leadership, could they have moved back to the project? Who knows, my first bet is still on Batman, but with all the support for a purported Rocksteady Superman game, WB might have reopened themselves to the idea.

He mentions the open world DC game stuff in the very beginning of the video and also says that the game is too early in development for an announcement.

This now puts 3 major DC console games in development. Two for WB Montreal, one for Rocksteady.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So WB Montreal is working on two DC open world games and Rocksteady as well (?). If none of those are Wonder Woman, they're fucking up.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Justice_League-Crisis_On_Two_Earths.jpg

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
UPDATE: It seems like their second project just recently started kicking it into high gear in June 2018. This linkedin profile by one of their level designers, Jerome Parent, points to an "unannounced UE4-based open world game."

LinkedIn Profile

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I hope it's not Superman. I would like to see a Batman open world game with a massive and alive city like in PS4 Spider-Man.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
They already did that with Arkham Knight.

Can't agree with that. I remember seeing Gotham proper in the distance and thinking "I wish the game took place across an entire populated city"

I hope its bats and flash. I would like a good superman game but how do you deal with his invincibility in a video game? Kryptonite powered enemies? I'm sure it's been discussed a million times

Oct 28, 2017
If they're doing another Batman game, I hope it's the similar to that rumored Arkham game that was based on the Silver Age of DC.

It could be Batman: the Brave and the Bold as an Arkham game.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
They were always supposed to make two games at once, but I didn't realize they managed to get a second in development again after all the cancellations.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
They already did that with Arkham Knight.

Not in my book. The city in AK was too small and basically dead. No citizens on the street, no traffic, no common crimes to fight, and the whole game happens in one night.

Spider-Man has a totally different feeling with a big and alive city. Only walking and swinging around the city is already super fun.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish them luck after years of issues. Hopefully everything works out because I'm always up for more good superhero games!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Not in my book. The city in AK was too small and basically dead. No citizens on the street, no traffic, no common crimes to fight, and the whole game happens in one night.

Spider-Man has a totally different feeling with a big and alive city. Only walking and swinging around the city is already super fun.

Why do people care about this stuff?

I spent 90% of Spider-Man of roof-tops and swinging through NY, my feet rarely ever touched the actual ground. Why do I care that there are actual citizens walking about the city that I can't interact with? It's not like I can web and punch civilians as Spider-Man, because, you know, I'm Spider-Man. Batman doesn't need to have actual citizens cluttering up the streets that he can't interact with in a meaningful way. Rocksteady understood this and chose to excise such unnecessary stuff smartly. I say again, AC was the best Batman game because of how dense the city was. Every single district felt unique and built up to a boss encounter, there was no filler space, every inch of that map was used for meaningful content.

Arkham City was barely open world, it was more like open yard.

A yard with every inch filled with fun and meaningful stuff to do.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman: Arkham Beyond

Please.

A full living NeoGotham. Terry McGinnis with Bruce in your ear. Maybe do another surprise by starting out with a Blight plot but then pivoting into Return of Joker. Get the original VAs back.

It would also solve the traversal issue for a big open world. Terry's batsuit let's him actually fly.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
He finished the work and the game was not released? So it is 2 projects or 1 ?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are we expecting these games on current gen and same goes for Rocksteady or are they all next gen releases?

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting these games on current gen and same goes for Rocksteady or are they all next gen releases?
In this case, the safe bet would probably be that one is crossgen (though may launch earlier than the next-gen systems), and the other is probably next-gen only, since it seems to have started up later.

Rocksteady is probably like the first game.