• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
WB has recently partnered with UK studio, Studio Gobo, on projects "in 2018 and beyond."

Studio Gobo is a studio that offers "console game development services for character action games", focusing on post launch content. Their past titles include For Honor, Disney Infinity, and F1: 2012.

In their job postings they have noted they are working on an "exciting, unannounced project" and a "high profile game for a well known partner."

Rocksteady's next game is known to be GaaS as they've stated in their own job postings and has leaked when they hired a product manager specializing in GaaS games. Seeing as they are also in the UK, it only makes sense that these two companies are working together.

Studio Gobo is no doubt working on some post launch content for Rocksteady, and seeing as how they were recently looking for a community manager, it seems that an announcement is on the horizon.

What do you guys think it might be?

EDIT: Credit to SavageSquirtle91 for finding this.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Hmm a DC game as a service game where you make your dc characters and play not out as a hero or villain basically DC universe but way better gameplay and more focused

But I'm curious as to what it it

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Damnit please just make a good game first, don't make it a slog to play without spending more than $60. Also please no random loot purchases tell us what we're getting and let us decide if the price is right for us.

DLC and Gaas can be good if done right

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I won't be able to resist a GaaS with Rocksteady quality all about the Justice League. If the rumor about it being a next gen title is true, I'm hyped for that campaign co-op action

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm a DC game as a service game where you make your dc characters and play not out as a hero or villain basically DC universe but way better gameplay and more focused

But I'm curious as to what it it
I'm inclined to think it's either that, Green Lantern Corps, or some Batfamily game

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Yeah, I won't be able to resist a GaaS with Rocksteady quality all about the Justice League. If the rumor about it being a next gen title is true, I'm hyped for that campaign co-op action
Yes for honor was great with post game content that level of quality and plenty of post game content would keep me happy

You can have a good side or bad side lol
Justice league or suicide squad

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yes for honor was great with post game content that level of quality and plenty of post game content would keep me happy

You can have a good side or bad side lol
Justice league or suicide squad
Jason Schreier already said it wasn't Justice League. And I doubt WB would have Rocksteady make a SS game after they cancelled the one at WB Montreal in 2016. Jason did mention that they were working on "superheroes" though so it is for sure DC.

Actually I could see lantern corps if its batman tho I'm done idc anymore about it nor the gameplay the problem with perfect is, it leaves no room to grow
Yeah I really hope it isn't Batman. A co-op Batman game interests me but I want to see Rocksteady tackle other superheroes.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Jason Schreier already said it wasn't Justice League. And I doubt WB would have Rocksteady make a SS game after they cancelled the one at WB Montreal in 2016. Jason did mention that they were working on "superheroes" though so it is for sure DC.

Yeah I really hope it isn't Batman. A co-op Batman game interests me but I want to see Rocksteady tackle other superheroes.
If it is what do you think.it could be and my problem with lanterns tho is the fact how do you convey their powers without it being repetitive ex: first, hammer , plane etc

And as for batman yes I hope its different but after the last one I'm just done indent even want a bat family game

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Tossing out both Superman and Justice League shuts off a ton of options. Suicide Squad can fuck off so if that's what's happening I'm comfortably out lol

If it is what do you think.it could be and my problem with lanterns tho is the fact how do you convey their powers without it being repetitive ex: first, hammer , plane etc

And as for batman yes I hope its different but after the last one I'm just done indent even want a bat family game

I'll take a Batman game if its focused on the family as a whole, tbh. But I'd rather it come from Montreal, not Rocksteady.

Anyway, just come up with a bunch of different constructs and map them to the face buttons.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Tossing out both Superman and Justice League shuts off a ton of options. Suicide Squad can fuck off so if that's what's happening I'm comfortably out lol

I'll take a Batman game if its focused on the family as a whole, tbh. But I'd rather it come from Montreal, not Rocksteady.

Anyway, just come up with a bunch of different constructs and map them to the face buttons.
That's what I thought make about 15 and mix and Match them to add variety I'm curious tho wjay kinda game would you all like DC wise

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Is Rocksteady doing the AAA Harry Potter or is that Avalanche?
That was Avalanche.

I have no idea how you would make a GLC game. My first inclination is that it would be even harder than a Superman game. BUT, I will say that it piques my interests. It could have potential for a pretty cool "create a Lantern" game mechanic with all the different color spectrums and stuff.

Yeah it does. SS ain't it, but if it isn't Green Lantern either then I'm gonna say it's not DC at all and it is The Matrix.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

So to make sure I'm up to date:
  • It's not Superman
  • It's not Justice League
  • It's not related to WB Montreal's Bay Family game
  • It is a superhero game
Is that correct?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Looking forward to playing whatever Rocksteady is making... two years after launch, when they release the complete edition (like Shadow of War did).

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
That was Avalanche.

I have no idea how you would make a GLC game. My first inclination is that it would be even harder than a Superman game. BUT, I will say that it piques my interests. It could have potential for a pretty cool "create a Lantern" game mechanic with all the different color spectrums and stuff.

Yeah it does. SS ain't it, but if it isn't Green Lantern either then I'm gonna say it's not DC at all and it is The Matrix.
Actually Fuck all that lol
A titans would be the easiest game as a service create your own character game the world would be so easy to do and establish with villains make it an action/shooter with rpg elements and mix and match powers or pick from 4 or 5 hero types done

Jul 13, 2018
I wouldn't worry too much about the GaaS elements (seems to be the main concern people have). Rocksteady has primarily been a single player/story driven developer and I don't expect them to abandon that entirely with their next game. I'm leaning towards Justice League or Green Lantern Corps myself and I wouldn't be surprised if the multiplayer portion of the game extends only to co-op (game can be played solo with AI teammates or switch between party members).

While GaaS titles haven't been the most well received this gen, I'll try to give WB/Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure WB doesn't want another Shadow of War situation, especially with arguably their biggest IP. Also, in case anyone was wondering, the GaaS Product Manager that was working alongside Rocksteady left WB a few months ago. WB is probably on the search for a new monetization expert.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I thought make about 15 and mix and Match them to add variety I'm curious tho wjay kinda game would you all like DC wise

If not Justice League or Superman, I'd be pretty hype for a Teen Titans or Legion of Super-Heroes game. There's so much they can do with the second, and it'd be such a jump from Arkham. Also it wouldn't be as absurd as Justice League because the powers are more defined and less ridiculous. No Green Lantern and his infinite constructs or Superman and his invulnerability.

• It's not Superman
  • It is a superhero game
Is that correct?

Jason seems to have confirmed it's not Justice League and it is superheroes. I think Rocksteady disputed it being Superman. Do we know Montreal's doing a Bat Family game? It was Batman and they rebooted but that's all we know, right?

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
  • It's not Superman
  • It is a superhero game
Is that correct?
You are correct.

Here's where Jason says it isn't Justice League. Here's where he says it is superheroes.

Actually Fuck all that lol
A titans would be the easiest game as a service create your own character game the world would be so easy to do and establish with villains make it an action/shooter with rpg elements and mix and match powers or pick from 4 or 5 hero types done
Titans would be just as hard as Justice League. The powersets are all too different.

Jul 13, 2018
Jason seems to have confirmed it's not Justice League and it is superheroes. I think Rocksteady disputed it being Superman. Do we know Montreal's doing a Bat Family game? It was Batman and they rebooted but that's all we know, right?
I can see how people are interpreting Jason saying "I never mentioned Justice League" as confirming it's not Justice League, but what are the chances that he's attempting to throw us off or just being very tight lipped about it? Also, do you remember when Rocksteady commented on Superman? Thanks.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
You are correct.

Here's where Jason says it isn't Justice League. Here's where he says it is superheroes.

Titans would be just as hard as Justice League. The powersets are all too different.
You can keep it more grounded by focusing on the powers of the main titans , raven , Robin, beast boy, cyborg , and starfire

Yooo or Static shock right after the big bang lol unknown on dreaming big

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I can see how people are interpreting Jason saying "I never mentioned Justice League" as confirming it's not Justice League, but what are the chances that he's attempting to throw us off or just being very tight lipped about it? Also, do you remember when Rocksteady commented on Superman? Thanks.
Coupling Jason's comments with Vern's comments saying it isn't Superman related, it's safe to eliminate Justice League from the running.

You can keep it more grounded by focusing on the powers of the main titans , raven , Robin, beast boy, cyborg , and starfire
That's still very VERY hard.

Raven - Can fly, has telekinesis/teleporting abilities
Beast Boy - Can shapeshift into any animal he desires
Cyborg - A.... cyborg. He can create weapons from his body
Robin - expert Martial artists who uses an assortment of gadgets
Starfire - Can fly, shoot energy blasts

Don't you see how that isn't any different than making a Justice League game? The toughness isn't in the power levels, you can adjust those accordingly. The toughness is in the complexity and uniqueness of each person's powerset.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Coupling Jason's comments with Vern's comments saying it isn't Superman related, it's safe to eliminate Justice League from the running.

That's still very VERY hard.

Raven - Can fly, has telekinesis/teleporting abilities
Beast Boy - Can shapeshift into any animal he desires
Cyborg - A.... cyborg. He can create weapons from his body
Robin - expert Martial artists who uses an assortment of gadgets
Starfire - Can fly, shoot energy blasts

Don't you see how that isn't any different than making a Justice League game? The toughness isn't in the power levels, you can adjust those accordingly. The toughness is in the complexity and uniqueness of each person's powerset.

Obviously you have to set limits no game in the foreseeable future is going to give that freedom in a game but RDR2 looks close point is you can use all of those characters powers with limits

Now that you mention the Big Bang and Static Shock, doesn't it sound like Sucker Punch took inspiration from that show when developing Infamous? lol

For sure I told my friends this back in the day this is what made me want a static game more than anything

Jul 13, 2018
If it were Green Lantern, I see two options happening. The first being you playing as an established Green Lantern (the route I believe they'll go in) or you'll play as a new recruit (Mass Effect style character creator) and meet other lanterns along the way. I agree with whoever mentioned having unlockable constructs (maybe 15-20). Each construct can be further enhanced via a skill tree. This isn't even including passive upgrades either.

Let's say it's Green Lantern and it's expected to release Q4 2019. Could it face some competition from Starfield, which is also rumored to possibly release next year?

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously you have to set limits no game in the foreseeable future is going to give that freedom in a game but RDR2 looks close point is you can use all of those characters powers with limits
That's not the point. The point is that in any game with multiple characters or multiplayer, there has to be core gameplay mechanics. Meaning every character controls the same and is able to do the same things.

In Red Dead everyone is cowboys. Everyone has guns, horses, and can do the exact same things.
In CoD everyone is a soldier.
In Arkham, all playable characters can freeflow and has a grapple gun to get around.

If you make a game like Titans it would literally break the game. You can't map out a core mechanic that would mesh with each person.

If it were Green Lantern, I see two options happening. The first being you playing as an established Green Lantern (the route I believe they'll go in) or you'll play as a new recruit (Mass Effect style character creator) and meet other lanterns along the way. I agree with whoever mentioned having unlockable constructs (maybe 15-20). Each construct can be further enhanced via a skill tree. This isn't even including passive upgrades either.

Let's say it's Green Lantern and it's expected to release Q4 2019. Could it face some competition from Starfield, which is also rumored to possibly release next year?
Starfield wouldn't be competition because 1) it's a completely different kind of game. 2) It won't release next year.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017

Cosmetic lootboxes. Choose your spectrum color, default outfit, buy lootboxes for more uniform gear and ways to change up the looks of your ring projections. Preorder now for Guy Gardner Warrior skin, Hal Jordan's projection set and buy the collectors edition to get Dex-Starr pet companion, 10 Lantern Corps Treasure Cubes, 100000 GLC bucks and play a week early.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Cosmetic lootboxes. Choose your spectrum color, default outfit, buy lootboxes for more uniform gear and ways to change up the looks of your ring projections. Preorder now for Guy Gardner Warrior skin, Hal Jordan's projection set and buy the collectors edition to get Dex-Starr pet companion, 10 Lantern Corps Treasure Cubes, 100000 GLC bucks and play a week early.
Ummm okay?
That's not the point. The point is that in any game with multiple characters or multiplayer, there has to be core gameplay mechanics. Meaning every character controls the same and is able to do the same things.
Marvel ultimately alliance was a thing you can do do differ character types you just have to do more Q/A for bugs

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct.

I do feel Teen Titans would fit most if we look at it from the perspective of Arkham pulling its roots from Batman: The Animated Series, with this being the logical follow-up to that.

Mind, Rocksteady's games might be a bit grim of a fit for Teen Titans, though I guess they're pretty grim these days given the new show.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
I do feel Teen Titans would fit most if we look at it from the perspective of Arkham pulling its roots from Batman: The Animated Series, with this being the logical follow-up to that.

Mind, Rocksteady's games might be a bit grim of a fit for Teen Titans, though I guess they're pretty grim these days given the new show.
Simply have it not connected to Arkham universe all grim and dim now now dim and festive

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The Legion of Super-Heroes might work for a GaaS title. It could have you creating and playing as the newest member of the team, or could have 'Superman-lite' with Superboy or Supergirl.

I can sort of see it fitting into the Destiny template.

Jul 13, 2018

I feel as though if WB wanted to greenlight a superhero team based game, they'd go with Justice League over Titans. The former has more recognizable characters to the general public, and from a gameplay perspective, I don't see that two as being that different (Starfire's mechanics wouldn't differ that greatly from Superman).

I believe the "weapon artists" could be a hint towards Green Lantern (light constructs). I just find it interesting that Rocksteady/WB would decide to follow up Arkham with a Green Lantern Corps game. The latter is a big IP, but Green Lantern isn't the first thing to come to mind when thinking about what Rocksteady's next game could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

I was mostly concerned with how the core gameplay mechanics would work for something like Teen Titans when all of them have such vastly different and unique powers.

In all of Rocksteady's past games even when they had multiple characters they all controlled the same. It's the reason why I think they're working on Green Lantern since everything else got shut down.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I feel as though if WB wanted to greenlight a superhero team based game, they'd go with Justice League over Titans. The former has more recognizable characters to the general public, and from a gameplay perspective, I don't see that two as being that different (Starfire's mechanics wouldn't differ that greatly from Superman).
It's just that with the amount of multiplayer hiring they're doing, it feels somewhat unlikely to not be a team game, unless it's something like Arkham Origins where everyone plays as Joker goons.

I was mostly concerned with how the core gameplay mechanics would work for something like Teen Titans when all of them have such vastly different and unique powers.

In all of Rocksteady's past games even when they had multiple characters they all controlled the same. It's the reason why I think they're working on Green Lantern since everything else got shut down.
I imagine you would have to pull their abilities back a bit, or abstract it a bit more like you might in an RPG.

Green Lantern might make a lot of sense mechanically, but I'm just not sure if there would be a lot of people excited to make (or try to sell) a Green Lantern game, especially as the big 4+ year in development follow-up from this team that makes 5-10+ million selling games. Mind, it's not impossible.

Jul 13, 2018
It's just that with the amount of multiplayer hiring they're doing, it feels somewhat unlikely to not be a team game, unless it's something like Arkham Origins where everyone plays as Joker goons.

I imagine you would have to pull their abilities back a bit, or abstract it a bit more like you might in an RPG.

Green Lantern might make a lot of sense mechanically, but I'm just not sure if there would be a lot of people excited to make (or try to sell) a Green Lantern game, especially as the big 4+ year in development follow-up from this team that makes 5-10+ million selling games. Mind, it's not impossible.
I agree with you. We're definitely looking at a co-op game (with the ability to play solo) coming from Rocksteady.

I can see Green Lantern selling close to Mass Effect numbers (5-6 million?). If you include Rocksteady's pedigree + DC's brand, I could see it selling well.

Edit: The multiplayer listings could be for something like a co-op horde mode as well. That would result in lots of replayability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

Out of all the options left I just don't see anything else that fits the criteria of everything we know Rocksteady's game to be.

We know:

• It is a joint venture between Rocksteady, WB and DC
  • It features "superheroes"
  • It is NOT Superman or contain Superman in any way
  • Rocksteady are done with Batman, so it isn't him either
  • Jason Schreier, a reputable journalist, said that it is not Justice League
  • Rocksteady hired a network programmer, so the game has big online capabilities
  • Rocksteady hired a meta game designer, so the game has a real big multiplayer component
  • Rocksteady hired multiplayer testers, so it definitely has multiplayer
  • Rocksteady hired a product manager specializing in GaaS elements, so whichever IP they chose, it must have some sort of customizable capabilities
  • Rocksteady have came out and said whatever they do next they want the "community heavily involved"

Then throw in what we know WB has been doing with their other games: loads of content updates, DLC, and microtransactions, and the only property that I think can fit would be some sort of Green Lantern Corps game. One where you could maybe create your own Lantern and pick which part of the color spectrum you wanted to be or something like that.

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
Out of all the options left I just don't see anything else that fits the criteria of everything we know Rocksteady's game to be.

We know:

• Rocksteady hired a network programmer, so the game has big online capabilities
  • Rocksteady hired a meta game designer, so the game has a real big multiplayer component
  • Rocksteady hired a product manager specializing in GaaS elements, so whichever IP they chose, it must have some sort of customizable capabilities
  • Rocksteady have came out and said whatever they do next they want the "community heavily involved"

Then throw in what we know WB has been doing with their other games: loads of content updates, DLC, and microtransactions, and the only property that I think can fit would be some sort of Green Lantern Corps game. One where you could maybe create your own Lantern and pick which part of the color spectrum you wanted to be or something like that.
No you can easily do the titans but I think green lanterns is by for the most interesting only thing else would be new gods lol but if its green lanterns it better not take place on earth

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but can someone please explain to me the concept of game as a service? What is it exactly? Is it good or bad for the industry and/or for the consumer?

Jul 13, 2018
I'm sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but can someone please explain to me the concept of game as a service? What is it exactly? Is it good or bad for the industry and/or for the consumer?
GaaS revolves around significant post launch game content (story expansions, additional playable characters, weekly events etc). The issue that most people have with GaaS is their heavy reliance on microtransactions (especially the pay to win kind) and their often "incomplete" status at launch.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

We know:

I don't think Green Lanterns fits. There's variety amongst the Lantern Corps. , but it's still very regimented and uniform, which seems like it would be limiting to customization. I also don't think it's a powerset that translates well to a game. If you're willing to go to space it seems quite restrictive.

Compare that to something like the Legion of Super-Heroes, which has a rolling cast of varied members. That seems like a concept you could pretty comfortably translate to a Destiny-like GaaS title.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel they're going to try and land on a collection of heroes that excites both the average core gamer demographic (18-35) and themselves (probably closer to 30-45), and I'm not sure there was really a big Green Lantern thing that matches that window on a mass market scale.

I could even see them just picking a bunch of heroes and calling them a new supergroup if they had to.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
GaaS revolves around significant post launch game content (story expansions, additional playable characters, weekly events etc). The issue that most people have with GaaS is their heavy reliance on microtransactions (especially the pay to win kind) and their often "incomplete" status at launch.
I see, thanks.

Jul 13, 2018

We know:

See, I don't see them going the "choose your own color spectrum route" if it were a Green Lantern game (sounds like an MMO to me). We'll probably play as a set hero (Hal Jordan) through one main story campaign. I could see a character creator option for a dedicated multiplayer mode. A co-op horde mode with waves of Manhunters, White Martians, Parademons would be pretty cool.