• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think all this is saying is that if Sony does $399, Msft is ready to match it. This doesn't mean they'll launch at $399 regardless of what Sony does. I fully expect Msft to match Sony's price for the Disc version of the console and undercut them with Series S for an all-digital alternative.

That's exactly how I read it too.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I can't see the X going for $400. It's got to be at least $499. And the existence of Lockhart to cover the lower price range would easily allow them get away with $599 for the X if they really needed to. They can certainly price match the PS5 with it. A $299 Lockhart would still win the title of "cheapest next gen console."

That said, $200 and $400 would indeed be a megaton mic drop.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Really confused how people think Microsoft is going to be able to undercut the PS5 with the Series X. Like that's the whole entire point of developing a Lockhart. XSX is either going to be as expensive or more expensive than the PS5. Whatever price they list it at Sony will be able to match and slightly undercut with the Digital Edition.

nah the SSD will make the PS5 just as expensive if not more so than the series X.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they sell a console for 200 it's gonna be absolute garbage. In fact it sounds like a nightmare for devs to get their games running for it

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Verified or not.. try going back in time and read this so called insider (eastmen) old inside scoop on xbox one .. he is way off all the time.. go back to Xbox one X speculation before the final reveal

forum.beyond3d.com

Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

That might work for the launch period. You could always drop to $399 in early 2018 when demand softens.These are promium customers anyway, 50 bucks for six months extra of the fastest thing around isn't so bad. Is BOM likely to be more than $150 higher than the X1S though? ~$40 more for Ram...

And

He is no "insider "
exactly.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they're selling XSX for more than a console that has even one bullet point of hardware benefit over it. It'll be the same price as the PS5D or less.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people here focusing on the XSX 399 which Sony can easily match, but not the insane 200 lockheart? the lockheart is supposed to be everything as the XSX except a smaller gpu and maybe no optical drive. A Zen 2 navi-based console with a fast ssd for 200? you might as well tell me MS is giving out these consoles for free.

Dec 31, 2017
To me that rumour sounds like X could potentially be 400$, which I could see as disc version could be 449$ and discless version 399$ with the S at 199$. Could be that they really want a 200$ difference between both of them to really make the S interesting to the masses as only a 100$ difference wouldn't be enough to be quite honest.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
If the Lockhart only costs $200 then I want to know why. Like, what does it offer? Is it just a repackaged Xbox One at that point?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why they'd make the Lockhart if the plan was for XSX to be $400 at launch. Would be pretty redundant in that case
A $200 entry point to next gen would be pretty attractive to a lot of people, and you could likely entice a good number of PS5 owners to buy it as a second console at that price too. Still, $200 is not at all likely IMO.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
It's rumors like this why people always get disappointed with announcements nowadays.

Believe in this and in a month you all will be here talking about how the event was a let down. And it will be on you.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Verified or not.. try going back in time and read this so called insider (eastmen) old inside scoop on xbox one .. he is way off all the time.. go back to Xbox one X speculation before the final reveal

forum.beyond3d.com

That might work for the launch period. You could always drop to $399 in early 2018 when demand softens.These are promium customers anyway, 50 bucks for six months extra of the fastest thing around isn't so bad. Is BOM likely to be more than $150 higher than the X1S though? ~$40 more for Ram...

And

He is no "insider "
Can the thread be locked please?
The site is way slower because of this thread 😬

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I could see MS selling XSX at $399 if the PS5 digital is $399 as well. That way MS is competitive and they are probably ready to lose $100~ on each unit in order to keep marketshare close. It would also surely drive GP subs up and make up the difference is about a year or two of monthly subs. I would love this being true if just to show how good having competition is.

AGE2019

May 5, 2019
A console with 2 Motherboards, Vapor Chamber, cooling chassis, SSD, 16GB of GDDR6, UHD player, 8 core Zen 2 CPU, 12TF GPU + RT HW is not going to be $400 without some serious losses being taken on the sale.

$200 for LH is cheaper than an XB1S.

Sounds like bs.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
The exception, not the rule.

Currently working in a very large company (bigger than MS) and I can tell you for certain that divisions can tap into additional capital. There's only so much finance is willing to offer and each division submits their plans for consideration and rationalization, so it comes down to what finance and leadership find compelling enough to fund based on expected risk and reward.

It's a bit like being a startup looking for funding from investors, except your investor is your finance department and leadership.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
5 studios ? $400 XSX ? $200 Lockhart ? Well, that would be great, but I'm not believing any of those. They didn't do it with One X, which was a midgen refresh, not supposed to sell well, they clearly won't do it for their new "flagship".

I still can believe that XSX would be $400 if, and only if, Sony announce $400 for PS5 (not Digital). But that won't happen.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And I thought claiming the PS5 Digital would be €399 was outrageous bullshit. Lockhart for sub-$250? Looney tunes. Like, I can kinda see Microsoft being prepared to take the price of the Series X down to as low as $400 (in the event Sony manages to pull a $399 price tag out of their ass), but that would require killing off Lockhart, not discounting it further. And everything I said about the infeasability of Spny recouping a $100 subsidy goes triple with the amount of losses Microsoft would have to take to hit a $400 Series X and a sub-$250 Lockhart. Nah mate, ain't happening.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
All of this seems to hinge on some rando named eastmen that no one has heard of. A possible $200 lockhart is so fake lol.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Locking in my prediction:

Xbox Series X: $499
Xbox Series S: $399

PS5 Standard: $499
PS5 Digital: $449

I think both parties know this'll be the case but no one wants to be the first to announce.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We are reporting on a guy on a random forum who once made the easy prediction that a digital version of a console would exist?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why are people here focusing on the XSX 399 which Sony can easily match, but not the insane 200 lockheart? the lockheart is supposed to be everything as the XSX except a smaller gpu and maybe no optical drive. A Zen 2 navi-based console with a fast ssd for 200? you might as well tell me MS is giving out these consoles for free.

Smaller GPU, no disc drive, cheaper cooling, perhaps half the storage space.
Could shave off $200 off the XSX.
so possibly $499 and $299.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

forum.beyond3d.com

And

He is no "insider "
Has he claimed to be an insider? It's possible someone gave him a limited amount of information and he's speculating on other stuff. Not that I believe him. Still waiting for some to find out what else he has leaked.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017

forum.beyond3d.com

And

He is no "insider "
So it looks like fanboy rumoring because it is fanboy rumoring.

I'm skeptical of anything outside Microsoft or Sony itself saying the PS5 and Series X will retail for anything less than $499.99.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
No way. Even at $499 seems like a loss and aggressive for what you get.

I could see Lockhart as low as 249 though since it replaces the One S all digital and that's the MSRP. I wondered if they have a disc Lockhart too but rumors say no and the Series X size is dictated by UHD in one direction so it adds size.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have heard from Polish devs, this seems quite possible. There are certainly 2 consoles but afaik price point seemingly hasn't been decided yet. Microsoft is willing to take a big loss on every single unit, though.

What is more, I heard that Microsoft was trying to acquire couple and successfully acquired one of the biggest Polish game devs which will also be announced on July event.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Here's how I see it:

$399 XSX and $199 XSS vs $399 PS5
Wow! Bold! #XboxWon

$499 XSX and $249 XSS vs $399 PS5
Just give the generation to Sony

$599 XSX and $299 XSS vs $399 PS5
Lol, Microsoft wat u doing? U drunk? go home

Granted this relies on the PS5 being $399 which honestly I don't know if it will be...
I honestly do not like the concept of lockhart if it's an underpowered XSX.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah right..........
The RDNA2 GPU alone makes this BS!

Unless MS is willing to take the biggest hit on hardware in the history of hardware, forget consoles.
I don't see this being true.

I do think Lockhart is MS real play for "Next gen", if they even consider this a generation.
The Series X will probably be under utilized forever held back by the Lockhart.

The upcoming gen will be one of parity throughout IMO.

Oct 28, 2017
$399 is completely plausible if they are willing to lose $200 a unit and that is not unheard of however, $199 for a Series S would be beyond aggressive it would be flat out insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Lockheart evolving into an XboxTV stick is a hell of a strategy I could believe... But I think it really depends on if the FIFA/Fortnite/Warzone/GTA crowd who only play a handful of titles per year get convinced and newbies become part of that audience. Also having the net speeds if it is gonna be cloud based in part. But could be a hell of a market if they pull it off, especially when you add gamepass to the mix.

Aug 23, 2018
None of this reads like "fan fiction" or anything unbelievable if you've been paying any attention to what Spencer has been saying about price. At this point I will assume that Series X will either be same price or less than whatever the Digital Only PS5 costs. $499 or less, with Lockhart somewhere between $200-$300.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
If MS launches the XSX at $399, I would be shocked. They definitely do not want to lose the price war to Sony, and I expect them to match the high price of the PS5 with XSX and allow a discless lockhart to undercut whatever the PS5's low price is.

If they really are coming out with a bang, and they have the money and mindset to do it, then a $400 XSX, $200-$250 lockhart sure as hell would do it. Im super skeptical on this rumor. That's for sure.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
$400 is a great price to be at, $200 even better, not really what I was expecting. $500 and $300 is what I was expecting, similar to the X and S.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like fanboy rumoring because it is fanboy rumoring.

I'm skeptical of anything outside Microsoft or Sony itself saying the PS5 and Series X will retail for anything less than $499.99.

I think there is a severe lack of integrity around these sites and what they post as news. This is almost as pathetic as that "PS5 is overheating constantly and Sony is scrambling" article from Windows Central based on a random YouTube comment

Status
Not open for further replies.