• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV

When a man's heart is full of deceit...
It burns up, dies...
And a dark shadow falls over his soul...
From the ashes of a once great man, has risen a curse...

A wrong that must be righted...
We look to the skies for a vindicator, someone to strike fear into the black hearts
of the same man who created him... The battle between good, and evil has begun...
Against an army of shadows, lies a dark warrior...

The prevailer of good...
With a voice of silence...
And a mission of justice...
This is Sting.

MisguidedUniformHydatidtapeworm-max-14mb.gif

NaivePersonalIsabellineshrike.gif

Today, December 28th 2017, is the 20th anniversary of the day when Sting finally got his revenge on Hollywood Hogan and the nWo by jobbing clean in the ring after getting beat down for 10 mins, and then the match was restarted, which led Sting to finally get the "win" that WCW fans were waiting 18 months for.

JovialDistantBarnowl-max-14mb.gif

ThoroughChiefBluebottlejellyfish-max-14mb.gif

PerfumedEasyFawn-max-14mb.gif

Where were you when WCW completely fucked up one of the best build ups in Wrestling history?

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching this in Miami at my grandparents place when I was a kid. This was the 1st nail in WCWs coffin.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
You know, people harp on the ending of the match (and rightfully so) but as 13 year old kid all that mattered was Sting won the belt and had that moment and it was cool for Bret Hart to be a part of that. What came after was worse imo with him having to vacate the title.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The night WCW jumped the shark

Mostly downhill from here

The fallout was even worse with Hogan kind of winnng back the title, but in an overrun on Nitro that wasn't aired so had to tune into Thunder where title was held up for 2 months or so and ended up with... Savage I wanna say who ended up losing it right back to Hogan

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
For that brief moment, we were on top of the world, RBH

It wasn't the end of the world...but we could see it from there. ;_;
The beginning of the end for sure.

Even when they had a "do-over" match at SuperBrawl, they still fucked it up and didn't give Sting a clean win.

Fuck Hogan

Then
Now
Forever

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Sting not winning clean was really the beginning of the end for WCW imho

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Could someone ELI5?

Sting losing, Bret Hart coming out stopping the bell, restarting the match, Sting winning seems like a roller coaster ride landing on a high note?

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget they had the rematch on Nitro the next night, and ended the broadcast right as the ref got knocked out leading to a big nWo/WCW brawl. WCW dragged out revealing the ending of that match a couple weeks until Thunder premiered, which then dragged out the rematch another month or so. And by then they had gotten into the Hogan/Savage dueling nWo's nonsense.

Good old WCW.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I remember being so insanely hyped for this match, probably one of the best-built main events in wrestling history. Shame the match itself was a pile of turd with a fuck finish that totally undermined Sting's return.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Could someone ELI5?

Sting losing, Bret Hart coming out stopping the bell, restarting the match, Sting winning seems like a roller coaster ride landing on a high note?
If I remember correctly, the ref was supposed to fast count the pin, and Bret was supposed to stop Sting from getting screwed, but Hogan got the ref to agree to count it normally to give him the clean win, making Bret look like the asshole for screwing Hogan out of a "clean" win and restarting the match so Sting could win.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I remember correctly, the ref was supposed to fast count the pin, and Bret was supposed to stop Sting from getting screwed, but Hogan got the ref to agree to count it normally to give him the clean win, making Bret look like the asshole for screwing Hogan out of a "clean" win and restarting the match so Sting could win.

Like... Hogan legit pulled some shady shit for his own benefit or?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Like... Hogan legit pulled some shady shit for his own benefit or?
As other's have said, this is basically the story of Hogan's career. No matter where he went, WWF, WCW, or TNA, he always threw his weight around backstage to the detriment of others, and even the promotion (doubly so for TNA and WCW), in order to get what he wanted.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That was the match where I was finally old enough to realize the bullshit Hogan was pulling backstage (I was too young to remember the Wrestlemania IX stunt) . That was also when I decided Raw was going to be my main Monday night show, but I would tune in occasionally to Nitro for Goldberg matches.

I was happy the night Russo called him out, but it was too little too late for WCW to survive.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15pt0

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, someone please explain what happened to help us out. Try to keep the wrestling speak down, please.
In the fake world of the storyline, the ref was crooked and was supposed to fast count to three, thus giving Hogan a win. But in the real backstage world, Hogan wanted to protect his status and convinced the ref to count normally, thus showing he "won" in a clean way. Thus, when Bret Hart followed the storyline and prevented the bell from ringing and restarted the match, it looked like Hogan had been cheated. It basically revolved around Hulk Hogan being a cunt and looking out only for himself, rather than the business.

Oct 26, 2017
California
In the fake world of the storyline, the ref was crooked and was supposed to fast count to three, thus giving Hogan a win. But in the real backstage world, Hogan wanted to protect his status and convinced the ref to count normally, thus showing he "won" in a clean way. Thus, when Bret Hart followed the storyline and prevented the bell from ringing and restarted the match, it looked like Hogan had been cheated. It basically revolved around Hulk Hogan being a cunt and looking out only for himself, rather than the business.
That is shady af. Wow. Then again, I've always heard that Hogan was an egomaniac.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

For about a year or so in college I would watch WWF with some friends and I basically bailed on it because it seemed like the entire story arch was written around HHH being the champion and never losing. Got really boring over and over.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
To this day i still enjoy it even though i know deep down in my heart it's a complete shit show. The build up to that match was so fucking good i just recently went back and watch all the Nitro's leading up to it. Man, that Sting vs nWo stuff was so fucking cool. What's crazy is i hated wrestling up until like 2 years before that PPV it wasn't until the tail end of 95 i got into it because i saw a Surfer Sting figure my buddy had and i was like that's a cool looking dude and rented a bunch of WCW ppv tapes from Blockbuster.

I think i got into wrestling at just the right time. Right as it was about to hit it's prime (for mainstream IMO).

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
This is why giving a wrestler creative control is idiotic. I've heard in many podcasts of former wrestlers that they would have a show written and then Hogan would show up 10 minutes before the show and say, "This doesn't work for me brother."

I forgot which podcast outed it, (either bischoff on wrestling or what happened when with Tony Schivonni) that they asked the ref what happened and he said "You know who told me to do it."

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Sting is my all time favorite wrestler and seeing him get the win over HH was probably my biggest mark out moment as a kid. Ill admit I was confused as hell when Bret came down, but I didn't care because Sting won.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I miss WCW so much. Wrestling in the US has been shit ever since the Invasion, and is just now starting to get out from the bottom.

jarnet87

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't remember this match but I was still likely watching wrestling at the time. I checked out of WCW pretty quickly after NWO started. Seeing them interfere with the last match and then spray painting a guy to end Nitro every week wasn't exactly fun as a 8 year old.