• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I really wish Backloggd had a proper iOS/Android app. The mobile version of the website is fine, but it's not great to navigate and it's missing a feature (the little notification bell thing). A shame since I personally think Backloggd is the best out of all of these.

Jul 10, 2018
I really wish Backloggd had a proper iOS/Android app. The mobile version of the website is fine, but it's not great to navigate and it's missing a feature (the little notification bell thing). A shame since I personally think Backloggd is the best out of all of these.
You're not wrong, but good news is the single dev for Backloggd is very aware, and an app is at least in the planning stages, as it's been noted in the Discord, but also the app's are ranked numbers 2 and 4 respectively on the roadmap: https://www.backloggd.com/roadmap/

All users get 3 votes in what they want to see next.

Guv_Bubbs

Oct 25, 2017
NZ
I just found backlogged today and thought it was perfect.
Then before I decided to jump in I read up on all the options and I still think it's the best.
I hope the dev keeps it up!

Jul 10, 2018
Backloggd released 1.7 today, mostly focusing on List updates:

List Folders
- Organize your lists with folders that you can create and name
- Folders will be hidden if they're empty or contain only private lists
- A list can appear in multiple folders and you can decide if it appears outside of a folder or not

List Filters / Sorting
- Sorting method and filters were added to all list related pages
- List pages, user list collections, folders, and game list collections all received these
- Fade games you've played to better compare on any list

List Personalized Stats
- View your progress for any list based on how many games you've played
- Expand the stats to see a breakdown of which status you gave certain games
- Take a look at your average rating to all the games you've played

List Likes / Comments
- Functions the same way as they do with reviews
- View your liked lists on your Liked page
- Set comment privacy on a list-by-list basis or use your default comment privacy option

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, might give backloggd another go. More list organization tools were what I wanted since it felt too stiff before compared to grouvee's shelves for me.

Anyone have a backloggd profile they're proud of that they want to share? Just want to see what normal usage is like for y'all.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
When I read the thread title, my mind went directly to this image:
ue1z3wqa2dbv.jpg

that's me

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The log / playthrough system on backloggd is kinda unintuitive so far.

If I want to rate a game, it automatically marks the game as "Played", which I consider done. Is there no easy way to rate games you're currently playing (more important for ongoing/gaas games). I can remove the played tag, which then locks me from editing the rating again, but apparently will keep the score you had given it.

For adding playthrough dates, I first need to click on the day on the calendar to mark that as a "Played" date.

Only then can I click on the edit button, and click on "Start Date", which autofills to that first "Played" date.

Maybe I'm just not used to the flow yet but it seems like a lot of clicks for what should be straightforward.

Edit:
Yeah the log / journal flow just keeps causing issues for me. I'll try adding the platform that I own the game on, and again because the game isn't marked as completed it won't save properly. I'll keep trying it out since I like what I see, but I hope they fix these limitations since they seem weird.

A lot of it might stem from backloggd really just trying to apply the letterboxd format 1:1 directly to games, while I feel like it doesn't translate that since it's a different medium.

Last edited:

Guv_Bubbs

Oct 25, 2017
NZ
I've not touched any of that yet.
Not sure how I'll feel about the platform as I use it in real time but I've just spent the last two days logging & rating my history of games.
And so far I feel the system works really well!
www.backloggd.com

Backloggd | Guv_Bubbs

Keep a virtual backlog of your video game collection, then rate and review the ones you've played to share with your friends!

And it seems my Factoro review is on the homepage now.

EDIT

I also like that since I used a 5 point scoring system, my stats graph removed the half-points.
Mine vs Someone else
9dAGQip.png
FDGAVho.png

Last edited:

Guv_Bubbs

Oct 25, 2017
NZ
Yeah the log / journal flow just keeps causing issues for me. I'll try adding the platform that I own the game on, and again because the game isn't marked as completed it won't save properly. I'll keep trying it out since I like what I see, but I hope they fix these limitations since they seem weird.

A lot of it might stem from backloggd really just trying to apply the letterboxd format 1:1 directly to games, while I feel like it doesn't translate that since it's a different medium.

Weird I've not had those issues at all.
Do you get it in all browsers?

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing beats HLTB for me, but I wish there was a better way to transfer data so I can test drive some of these other sites.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Weird I've not had those issues at all.
Do you get it in all browsers?

Only tried chrome so far. I think it's mostly the struggles around adding playthroughs, where I'll try to add my dates in an order the system doesn't expect, so it has issues saving the data.

I do like the way the journal is shaping up when all is said and done though: https://www.backloggd.com/u/kaj/journal/

But yeah just minor quibbles on the ui flow. Like how the thumbnail view gives you a limited subset of options, but when you switch to detail view you lose all of it:

uggJNt5.png
LJczKWH.png

Also being unable to add a game to multiple lists at once, so you have to do it one at a time. These are probably just power user expectations though, but it's painful for me to have to basically go to a game entry page every time I want to do something.

My comparison is to Grouvee, which lets me do all of these in their list view pretty easily:
Du1rMVz.png

Nothing beats HLTB for me, but I wish there was a better way to transfer data so I can test drive some of these other sites.

I typically have been checking out these by just adding games I played recently to see what the normal usage is like. Some of them do allow imports of your game libraries by connecting to platform accounts though which gives you something to work with for just testing it out. From the ones I know, Grouvee can import steam games automatically, and rawg can pull steam, playstation, xbox, and gog games.

Guv_Bubbs

Oct 25, 2017
NZ
I do like the way the journal is shaping up when all is said and done though: https://www.backloggd.com/u/kaj/journal/

Oh wow!, this is a pretty cool feature! I wasn't sure I would track games at this level but seeing your log I think I will!

Also being unable to add a game to multiple lists at once, so you have to do it one at a time. These are probably just power user expectations though, but it's painful for me to have to basically go to a game entry page every time I want to do something.

This is another good insight, I've not touched lists at all yet but I know that update happened today.
This week I'm going to move my lists over from Giantbomb.

How come you decided to make a list for your Queue / On-Hold rather than using the built-in tools?

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
This is another good insight, I've not touched lists at all yet but I know that update happened today.
This week I'm going to move my lists over from Giantbomb.

How come you decided to make a list for your Queue / On-Hold rather than using the built-in tools?

Ah yeah that's another holdover I'm testing from grouvee. For me, the built-in tool of backlog / wishlist should tell me what games I own that I want to play next, but it's not that useful when each can grow to hundreds of games. Makes it hard to decipher what you actually want to tackle next I guess.

So I made "queue" specifically for the list of games I want to get to next, roughly in order. Helps with my indecision. And then I made a "more realistic backlog" for games I actually intend to play eventually, since the full backlog is kind of a mishmosh that includes everything from the free epic games to all the extras on a humble bundle I likely will never get to.

For reference, this was how I set up my grouvee, and I also made additional lists for which launchers the gamers were on since that's otherwise pretty hard to track.

gk8Crng.png

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I've not touched any of that yet.
Not sure how I'll feel about the platform as I use it in real time but I've just spent the last two days logging & rating my history of games.
And so far I feel the system works really well!
www.backloggd.com

Backloggd | Guv_Bubbs

Keep a virtual backlog of your video game collection, then rate and review the ones you've played to share with your friends!

And it seems my Factoro review is on the homepage now.

EDIT

I also like that since I used a 5 point scoring system, my stats graph removed the half-points.
Mine vs Someone else
9dAGQip.png
FDGAVho.png
Yeah, I'm glad they followed Letterboxd on that - just can't do half star ratings, my brain doesn't like them.

Incidentally, what is your general criteria for rating? Not that I necessarily want to but I'm finding it somewhat difficult to rate any games I've played at just 1 star, and generally find most games I've played to be pretty good, while you seem to be a bit more careful when giving out 4 or 5 stars - no judgement, just genuinely interested.

Jm0DDCH.png

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
If I want to rate a game, it automatically marks the game as "Played", which I consider done. Is there no easy way to rate games you're currently playing (more important for ongoing/gaas games).
"Played" doesn't equal Done on Backloggd, there are Completed and Mastered completion status options you can use for that. If you've played a game, you wouldn't ever need to unmark Played, because you can't un-play a game.

There is a "Playing" checkbox to indicated Played games that you are actively playing.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad they followed Letterboxd on that - just can't do half star ratings, my brain doesn't like them.

Incidentally, what is your general criteria for rating? Not that I necessarily want to but I'm finding it somewhat difficult to rate any games I've played at just 1 star, and generally find most games I've played to be pretty good, while you seem to be a bit more careful when giving out 4 or 5 stars - no judgement, just genuinely interested.

Jm0DDCH.png

Not them but I noticed they had their rating scale on their backloggd profile:
UQ4QluL.png

I think it makes sense to not really rate 1*s that often, or for most games to average on the higher end, since there is a selection bias in that the games you want to play and are interested in are ones you'll probably like more anyway. For me it's really only when I step outside my comfort zone or buy into hype on a game that I might have a bad time.

Here's where I'm at after adding my games played in 2020:
nHuFDL6.png

"Played" doesn't equal Done on Backloggd, there are Completed and Mastered completion status options you can use for that. If you've played a game, you wouldn't ever need to unmark Played, because you can't un-play a game.

There is a "Playing" checkbox to indicated Played games that you are actively playing.

Yeah I think I'm getting used to that in practice, just wish it was easier to see and edit that status at a glance. If they wanted to go the route of played as any amount of playtime, then I feel like clicking "Playing" or "Currently playing" should mark "Played" automatically.
A2DGwwc.png
ynXamPb.png

The game page and the grid view only have played / playing / backlog / wishlist, so you have to go into the journal entry to see or edit the status.

I believe the only other place you can interact with those statuses is with the filters on the game page, though again this isn't reflected anywhere on the actual grid itself:

And finally, even if you marked something as other than completed (I have Bloodborne shelved), your playthrough log also has to be set, or else the wrong status shows up in the journal:
AGqDv7t.png

tfzrVn3.png

I like all of the features in theory, and having all this customizability is why I was interested in the first place, it's just taking more time than I feel it should to get used to it since the elements seem at odds to each other.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
How is Letterboxd different from just rating films on IMDb if I'm not gonna write any reviews?
Haven't used it for a while so info might be outdated, but I don't believe IMDB has a diary function where you can track exactly when you've watched certain films, which was one of the main selling points of Letterboxd to me. Also, while it's part of the paid account, I really like the end of year stats along with intergration with justwatch so you can set it up to see if films on your watchlist are available to buy, rent or if they're added to streaming services.

Not perfect but for me it's much nicer to use, even just aesthetically.

Guv_Bubbs

Oct 25, 2017
NZ

Hey, that's cool that you noticed!
I felt I needed to attach a word to my ratings to keep them consistent.
I also only wanted a 5 point scale as the difference between a 7 and a 8 in a 10 point system is hard to quantify.
As you already know by now, I went with the following.

1=Bad
2=Fine
3=Good
4=Special
5=Amazing

I kinda saw it as the way I would tell my friends about the game. They don't take recommendations much so I wanted the top-end to be notable.
And I'm kinda using my perspective from today.
there is a selection bias in that the games you want to play and are interested in are ones you'll probably like more anyway.
As for this I think there are times when I replay a game I have good feelings for but know isn't amazing. So when I spent my time to replay Digimon Digital Card Battle for the PS1, and a friend asks me about it, can I say it's GOOOOOD in the same way that Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel is?
Nar, it's fine.

How is Letterboxd different from just rating films on IMDb if I'm not gonna write any reviews?

For me the first thing that drew me in was the social elements. People I followed on Twitter were using it so I could see what they were watching and what they thought of it.

Then I realised it was a really well-designed site to track my own movie watching.

It's that one, two punch.

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
Any of these track soundtracks? I'd love to be able to track the amazing game soundtracks, so differentiate between a great game and its great soundtrack?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in trying one of these. I have my physical collection on Gameye, but I would like to use something that better allows me to include digital titles.

I just wish there were features that allowed me to upload my already cataloged list from Gameye to these to cut down on the leg work.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Has somebody tried Cartridge? Looks really nice and clean. Unfortunately it's iOS only.
apps.apple.com

‎Cartridge

‎# MANAGE YOUR BACKLOG With Cartridge, you can add video games you're playing, set priorities, and track your progress. Fully organize your backlog as you play and pause games, or set priorities and completion goals to help you stay focused and complete games. Manage your growing backlog with...

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Came across this thread a few weeks ago, and started trying out a couple of the sites/apps discussed.

They all seemed to work, but none of them were quite what I hoped for. The one I have clicked with most is the Backloggd site, but wish there were a dedicated app for phones. Ended up doing most of my account building on the weekends.

Gametrack was fine, but I missed the profile that other services provided. GG seems good, but it felt like one too many steps to find things like user reviews compared to how it is surfaced in Backloggd.

Wish Backloggd handled their journal/logging in a more elegant way, and accidentally clicking the wrong list for a game meant several steps to actually remove it.
Been toying with some of the start and finish date stuff based on steam achievements, but there's no way I will be able to do anything based on memory.

If nothing else, it has been a fun excuse to recall a lot of games from my childhood played on DOS and PC that I hadn't thought about in ages.

www.backloggd.com

Backloggd | Typographenia

TheTokenGeek

May 22, 2020
Morning all,

Just thought I'd stop by and mention my site. WeThePlayers.com

We began development in January 2019 and went live with our MVP offering in Feb 2020 to a small group of testers. We've been developing new features ever since and are currently looking at a number of new features and also creating a mobile app to accompany the site.

What we currently offer:
  • Database of 140,000+ Games
  • User Profile
  • Follow Other Users
  • User game library:
    • - Wishlisted
    • - Owned
    • - Playing
    • - Completed
    • - Mastered
    • - Shelved
  • Rate Games
  • Review Games (comprehensive Markdown)
  • Create Collections / Ranked Lists
  • Upload Screenshots
  • Upload Videos
  • We're also taking submissions for a blog
As mentioned we have a long roadmap, with features released in monthly sprints. Currently we're working on Steam Integration (pull all your games from your Public profile).

If you can think of anything that would make it worthwhile for you, then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Paul

A few pages from the site:

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Support link on mobile leads to https://support.wetheplayers.com which doesn't appear to be properly configured (https has SSH error, http has Cloudfare error), as opposed to the mailto link on desktop.

IANAL (or a web dev) but I think the tracking cookies mentioned in the terms would require prior consent (the annoying GDPR popup we all know and love), not just the "we use cookies" notification you have.

TheTokenGeek

May 22, 2020
Support link on mobile leads to https://support.wetheplayers.com which doesn't appear to be properly configured (https has SSH error, http has Cloudfare error), as opposed to the mailto link on desktop.

IANAL (or a web dev) but I think the tracking cookies mentioned in the terms would require prior consent (the annoying GDPR popup we all know and love), not just the "we use cookies" notification you have.

Thanks, will take a look into it. We used Zendesk for a while, but weren't overly happy with it and I obviously haven't changed the link.
I've put it on my to-do list, so will get it sorted later this week.

This looks super neat. I made an account and will play around with it after work!

Glad you like the look of it, if you think of any features you'd like to see then feel free to message me.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Morning all,

I gave this one a quick look.

On the positives, it looks really good visually. The overall design looks great, although the various PC platforms need their own icons (right now, everything is just the windows logo). And I think the report button looks a bit weird. I'd never guess what is was just from the icon.

On a technical level, there's some stuff that's broken. Changing your email when you're using google login based account makes it impossible to log in using google (the next time you try logging in, it'll just make a new account), and requires you to make a password reset to be able to login into the original account (since it never had a password). Since there's no confirmation email when you change it, you could permanently lock yourself out of your account if you mistype the email. Changing your email back to the original one restores your ability to login with google, which seems like it could cause issues.

In addition, when creating an account using google login, you can skip the username entry page, which means you can technically create an account without agreeing to the terms of service or the privacy policy (if that even matters). As mentioned above, the email change also does not send out a confirmation email, meaning that if someone gains access to your account, they can very easily lock you out of it forever by changing the email.

The site also almost certainly breaks GDPR. As far as I understand, sites need to ask for consent before storing any cookies, need to allow you to withdraw this consent in a way that's equally as easy as giving it, and your site needs to allow access even if the users chose to reject any non critical functionality (so the site should still work even if users reject the tracking/advertising cookies).

I'm even less of an expert on US law, but the CAN-SPAM act requires marketing emails to include a physical address of your company in addition to an unsubscribe link. No idea how that applies to EU companies, but I know some third party email marketing services require it regardless of where you're from.

Can't really comment much on the functionality, because this is clearly meant to be more of a blogging/community site than a cataloging site, which is what I use sites like this for. Since there's no real way to sort or filter your collection, it's pretty much useless for me. I'm not a huge fan of how review scores work - some games I rate very highly don't have visuals or audio (for example text adventure games), but the rating system requires scores for both of these.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Morning all,

We began development in January 2019 and went live with our MVP offering in Feb 2020 to a small group of testers. We've been developing new features ever since and are currently looking at a number of new features and also creating a mobile app to accompany the site.

What we currently offer:
  • Database of 140,000+ Games
  • User Profile
  • Follow Other Users
  • User game library:
    • - Wishlisted
    • - Owned
    • - Playing
    • - Completed
    • - Mastered
    • - Shelved
  • Rate Games
  • Review Games (comprehensive Markdown)
  • Create Collections / Ranked Lists
  • Upload Screenshots
  • Upload Videos
  • We're also taking submissions for a blog
As mentioned we have a long roadmap, with features released in monthly sprints. Currently we're working on Steam Integration (pull all your games from your Public profile).

If you can think of anything that would make it worthwhile for you, then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Paul

A few pages from the site:

Can you sort by rating?

TheTokenGeek

May 22, 2020
I gave this one a quick look.

On the positives, it looks really good visually. The overall design looks great, although the various PC platforms need their own icons (right now, everything is just the windows logo). And I think the report button looks a bit weird. I'd never guess what is was just from the icon.

On a technical level, there's some stuff that's broken. Changing your email when you're using google login based account makes it impossible to log in using google (the next time you try logging in, it'll just make a new account), and requires you to make a password reset to be able to login into the original account (since it never had a password). Since there's no confirmation email when you change it, you could permanently lock yourself out of your account if you mistype the email. Changing your email back to the original one restores your ability to login with google, which seems like it could cause issues.

In addition, when creating an account using google login, you can skip the username entry page, which means you can technically create an account without agreeing to the terms of service or the privacy policy (if that even matters). As mentioned above, the email change also does not send out a confirmation email, meaning that if someone gains access to your account, they can very easily lock you out of it forever by changing the email.

The site also almost certainly breaks GDPR. As far as I understand, sites need to ask for consent before storing any cookies, need to allow you to withdraw this consent in a way that's equally as easy as giving it, and your site needs to allow access even if the users chose to reject any non-critical functionality (so the site should still work even if users reject the tracking/advertising cookies).

I'm even less of an expert on US law, but the CAN-SPAM act requires marketing emails to include a physical address of your company in addition to an unsubscribe link. No idea how that applies to EU companies, but I know some third-party email marketing services require it regardless of where you're from.

Can't really comment much on the functionality, because this is clearly meant to be more of a blogging/community site than a cataloging site, which is what I use sites like this for. Since there's no real way to sort or filter your collection, it's pretty much useless for me. I'm not a huge fan of how review scores work - some games I rate very highly don't have visuals or audio (for example text adventure games), but the rating system requires scores for both of these.

This is amazing feedback, thank you for taking the time to write it out. I've already spoken to the devs in regards to it and we'll get those necessary features added as a priority.

This is still very much a work-in-progress and one of the big features we're trying to implement is the import of your titles from the various platforms, with the only trouble being the lack of official API's. Filters, sorting and filing your games is on the roadmap already, so that will be on the site in the coming months.

Thanks again for the time you spent on the site, and finding what you have - it really does help.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for the thread OP as I'm really interested in apps like these.

Like others I haven't found one that clicks. In terms of game library I'm impressed with GOG Galaxy - I'm lucky enough to have all three consoles and a PC and they way it tracks most of the games is great.

The feature I'd really like to see is an upcoming releases - there are so many interesting looking games coming in the next few years

If an app could track info there as well - platform, release date etc esp as so many games are being pushed back id love that

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I was going to start a new thread about this and saw this one. I currently use Howlongtobeat but just found out about Grouvee and Backloggd.
Which one is the most active? It looks like Howlongtobeat has the largest user base.

Last edited:

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Both Grouvee and Backloggd are pretty great and my favorites from the ones I've tried (GG, IGDB, rawg, howlongtobeat). I did end up moving from Grouvee to backloggd because I like the systems the latter uses a little more (Grouvee pulls from giantbomb, backloggd from igdb, so they surface stuff like dlc a bit differently; grouvee has 5 star rating, backloggd has 10).

I think Grouvee might be more community focused if that's what you're looking for, since you can see everyone's statuses and reviews on a game page, and they have a forum. Since you brought up howlongtobeat, Grouvee does let you record gameplay times, which gets aggregated.
CwSD4TV.png

Backloggd on the other hand is a little more personalized. You can still see reviews, but status updates are on a user's page rather than the game's. My main use for backloggd is the extensive journal feature they have: you can add dates and notes on each time you play a game. Some people mark every day they play, I just do start and end dates.
CnDqlc6.png

And if you're a fan of making lists, backloggd lets you slap together one pretty easily. I'm not a big list maker but I do like browsing the ones others have made. I did make one recently to keep track of my favorite soundtracks:
osoS901.png

Really I'd recommend just trying out any of the ones that interest you--maybe add your goty list from last year to test out what features each has, and see which one lands best for your experience and what you want. Nothing worse than finding out one doesn't have a feature you want after you've already added hundreds of entries, and not all of these have easy migration options.

Here's my backloggd if you wanted a look: https://www.backloggd.com/u/kaj/journal/

Valtor

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard IGN advertise their new service in collaboration with with Howlongtobeat, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere? Is it any good?

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Do any of these provide a way to import libraries from other services (like your Steam/Sony/Microsoft accounts) or at least an API to interface with to do your own imports?

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
rawg might be best there, with connecting steam, ps, xbox, and gog

grouvee has steam import, and will add your steam hour count as well, but the latter sometimes has issues getting updated.

backloggd has steam on their roadmap, but not sure if there's an estimate there.

howlongtobeat has steam and play time import, and has export

edit: rawg and igdb both have export options as well.

Last edited:

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017

grouvee has steam import, and will add your steam hour count as well, but the latter sometimes has issues getting updated.

backloggd has steam on their roadmap, but not sure if there's an estimate there.

howlongtobeat has steam and play time import, and i think is the only one with an export option.

This is super helpful. Thank you!

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I tend to join and use every game tracker that I come across. Thx to the people who revived this thread, there are some that I haven't heard of before!

May 30, 2018

howlongtobeat has steam and play time import, and i think is the only one with an export option.
export is super important and is one of the reasons why i haven't committed to any of these yet. just been spreadsheeting it (well, actually using Bundled Notes on Android). each of these sites is in a weird arms race and none of them are really in the lead imo