• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
2022 Edit: Major update to this thread coming to reflect the current landscape (IGN Playlist)

-------

Some of you on this forum may be aware of one of the best websites on the internet called Letterboxd, a place for film fans to record, rate, and review the movies they have seen. As a fan of sites like these (Goodreads, My Anime List) that help me remember the media I have experienced and want to experience, I have been disappointed in the last couple of years that the options for these in the video game space have some combination of awful UIs, poor game Library APIs they are pulling from, or poor functionality.

uydJgGG.jpg

I just wanted to let Era know about a couple of sites that I think are heading in the right direction in the hopes that they succeed and continue to put more resources into making these awesome platforms. Both currently have low userbases I believe.

1) IGN Playlist

2022 update: The new kid on the block! I have tested out Playlist this weekend and I am pretty impressed overall. More than anything I am excited about the potential of one of these sites having some serious backing. You will see below in the other options out there that these are mostly single dev projects. That's not to mention the dozens of mobile only apps out there you can try. But it has some other unique advantages as well. HLTB integration is very handy, as well as being able to quickly jump to the IGN walkthrough for the games in your play list. There is a bulk select option that also has allowed me to quickly add dozens of games to my collection at once. You can see my nitpicks in the threadmarks.

2) Backloggd

This one seems to be taking... inspiration... from Letterboxd more than any other. It is also as far as I can tell the one that is getting the most development time

2022 update: I was definitely correct that this site is progressing further than the rest despite it also seeming to be a one man band development team. I have to look more closely into it but after doing a test tonight it may actually have the best usability for what I want out of these sites, which is quick status adjustment. Imagine searching for Final Fantasy as a new user and being able to scroll down and set if you have played them or not without opening an additional menu. Good stuff.

2Z58dzR.png

3) GG

• IOS/Android App - Yes
  • Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists - Yes
  • Friend / Follow system - Yes
  • User Reviews - No
  • Tracks Date of Completion - No
  • Descriptive Data of Game - No

This is the website that I am currently going to try to spend more time with, as I really think the developer nailed the categories to place the games into and the experience of doing so. And funnily enough, he is both a big fan of Letterboxd and they have given him a shoutout on Twitter.

Beyond tracking the games via these lists the site's features are currently bare bones, but that is all I really want and the Android app is solid enough.

2022 update: Unfortunately this one hasn't made significant strides since I originally posted this thread, and I say that despite it being my go-to ever since and seeming to have gained some traction in adoption (partially thanks to Kinda Funny using it I am sure). As the newest review says in the Google Play store, both the app and the site version just aren't snappy enough. Despite that, I still think it has the best statuses to choose from for your games.

------

Other suggestions from posters/former inclusions
  • IGDB
  • RAWG
  • HowLongToBeat
  • Glitchwave (Beta)
  • Darkadia
  • Mekami by ResetEra user Aku

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Love Letterboxd. It's an indespensable app/website for me. Not only for logging but finding new films. Will check GG out, can't imagine it will be neary as useful for me as I consume many more films than videogames but would be nice to log em

Giger Pilot

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't found one that clicked with me (I tried the two you mentioned as well as Grouvee and Glitchwave). I'm a huge fan of Letterboxd, and I wish that they would just make a video game site.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That GG site seems OK. One thing I wish it did would be to sync directly with PSN just like how psnprofiles.com works, as it would then import all your games rather than having to do it manually.

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't found one that clicked with me (I tried the two you mentioned as well as Grouvee and Glitchwave). I'm a huge fan of Letterboxd, and I wish that they would just make a video game site.

Yeah that's why I said we are getting closer in the title. Neither of these sites are quite there yet and I am 100% with you that I would jump for joy the day Letterboxd expands into other media.

That GG site seems OK. One thing I wish it did would be to sync directly with PSN just like how psnprofiles.com works, as it would then import all your games rather than having to do it manually.

Yes that would be awesome, at least to put all of the games into a staging area where you could quickly assign a status to them.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I've always felt like I would like to use Goodreads and letterboxd but I just have this dread of sitting there for hours marking everything I've ever read or watched or else it would be useless to me. Some sort of completionist or perfection fear.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Letterboxd except for the community. Seems like most top reviews aim for memes and one-liners and the like. Would be better if something like that doesn't inflict the examples in the OP, would make them ideal.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Having not heard of Letterboxd, I thought this topic was about letter boxing lol. Is this just about having a user review aggregate though? I don't see how this is useful unless it was so popular you could count on it being accurate. But why use this site rather than just checking metacritic or something? Or are you just using it more to log your own personal game list that you've played?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017
Great thread! It would be even more helpful if you could add something like "iOS app yes/no" and the same for android, to get a quick overview of the site's compatibilities.

Letterboxd explained
OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I've always felt like I would like to use Goodreads and letterboxd but I just have this dread of sitting there for hours marking everything I've ever read or watched or else it would be useless to me. Some sort of completionist or perfection fear.

That is the best part!

Having not heard of Letterboxd, I thought it was about letter boxing. Is this just about having a user review aggregate though? I don't see how this is useful unless it was so popular you could count on it being accurate. But why use this site rather than just checking metacritic or something? Or are you just using it more to log your own personal game list that you've played?

To me user reviews is a part of the website I mostly ignore. Like TheIdiot says, the community on there is definitely an enthusiast one which leads to better taste and little to no brigading, but the popular reviews section kinda sucks. The main draw is having a record of every film you have seen and when you have seen it. They even do crazy stats for paying members.

kenta I'd say the interface is so easy to use that you don't have to be a movie buff to get something out of the site. If you like seeing what you have watched and filtering/ranking them it is a cool site.

For reference since at the very least I have inspired interest in Letterboxd, here is my lifetime stats page (Samuel Jackson is my most watched actor!) and profile to see how it looks.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I had no idea how much I wanted this until now.

Letterboxd has been awesome, I love the diary feature though I can't imagine that'd work well for games.
Having not heard of Letterboxd, I thought it was about letter boxing. Is this just about having a user review aggregate though? I don't see how this is useful unless it was so popular you could count on it being accurate. But why use this site rather than just checking metacritic or something? Or are you just using it more to log your own personal game list that you've played?
It's more a log, yes.
It's fantastic for following people and reading reviews, the community there is great. People make lists of genres, there are mountains for unique recommendations, and it all syncs with your own lists so you can keep track of what you've already seen even in somebody else's list. If you're into film I'd recommend making an account.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
I've never used Letterboxd and since I'm not a movie fan I probably never will — can someone explain why it's so good? Do they give accurate recommendations? Is there a nice library-like page on your profile?

Edit: as I post that, I get an answer directly above. Thanks

I currently use Libib to track my library but the sorting/filtering/categorizing tools could be better and I haven't seen much improvement in the couple of years I've been using it

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That is the best part!

To me user reviews is a part of the website I mostly ignore. Like TheIdiot says, the community on there is definitely an enthusiast one which leads to better taste and little to no brigading, but the popular reviews section kinda sucks. The main draw is having a record of every film you have seen and when you have seen it. They even do crazy stats for paying members.

Ok got it. I used to use some out dated site years ago for something like this.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Which of these has the most descriptive data in addition to being a tracker / recommendation site?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I spent ages looking for the 'game Letterboxd' from the same team, only to realise I'd seen it in a dream and it doesn't actually exist ;(
I like Letterboxd except for the community. Seems like most top reviews aim for memes and one-liners and the like. Would be better if something like that doesn't inflict the examples in the OP, would make them ideal.
Lots of terrible meme reviews from like the same five people yeah, but /shrug

That said, I'm guilty of occasionally dropping crap, one to two sentence reviews too. My most liked thing on there is my hate for Enter the Void ("Strap a strobe light to your head and scream shit. Same difference.")

Last edited:

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only use How Long to Beat and it has served me well. Super nice devs too, i once randomly messaged a feature idea years ago and a month later I got reply saying they implemented it.

Grandius

Oct 25, 2017
Heard abour rawg.io, it seems to track not only the game, but the console you play it on. And yeah, Letterboxd is a godsend, wish something like it would appear for games.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Okay you convinced me so I got letterboxd and Goodreads and Goodreads is being really good about just giving me lists of books to fill in my list of stuff I've seen but I'm having trouble finding an equivalent on letterboxd, at least on the app. Do I just find a top whatever app and go to town? Is there a similar to stuff you like option to go through and mark?

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Backloggery for this for years. Needs more community and social features, though.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Glitchwave is made by the same on who did RateYourMusic, which is by far the best site on the web. Hopefully Glitchwave will become just as good as RYM, that would be a godsend

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just joined both the ones mentioned in the OP.

GG is missing some older games, I can't find Fighting Vipers or Christmas Nights, and there's often very messy results with searches with duplicate entries... even for special editions or individual DLC! I don't know why the MKX Xenomorph needs its own entry... The Explore function doesn't actually let me explore much either. It seems OK so far otherwise.
IGDB has great genre/platform searching, it's wonderful! But somehow feels clunkier than GG and you can't really record where you are with a particular title, its just "played" or "playing". It's been more fun going through adding games to GG than IGDB so far, just because I can say if I shelved the game, abandoned it, still playing, etc.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
which one of them lets me have a page just full of cover images of the games that I can sort by various fields (time I watched, date released, ratings etc) so I can see this giant visual reminder of games?

Nov 28, 2017
Glitchwave is made by the same on who did RateYourMusic, which is by far the best site on the web. Hopefully Glitchwave will become just as good as RYM, that would be a godsend
rateyourmusic is good, but everything they're doing with the other sites has been in pure development hell for years. if that stuff even officially comes out.

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
Letterboxd is awesome, so I've been searching for the same thing. I tried several websites and none convinced me, so I've been using The Backloggery.

There isn't a database, so the games don't have their own pages with their covers, data or reviews (so it isn't like Letterboxd at all 🙃). You have to manually add everything and your profile is visually simple too, so it's kind of like a prettier and more useful Excel sheet. It has its charm tho and I like the features it has more than the ones that are missing.

- IOS/Android App: No, but the web is mobile-friendly.

- Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists: Yes. You can select a status for every game (Unfinished, Beaten, Completed, Mastered and Null) and you can filter by several criteria; by system, ownership, rating, etc.

- Friend / Follow system: Yes.

- User Reviews: Kinda. There is a 5-stars system for rating and a 'Comments' section for every game where you can write whatever you want.

Tracks Date of Completion: Yup.

- Descriptive Data of Game: No. Like I said, you have to manually add everything, so there isn't any kind of info or covers.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Is there anything like MAL but for games? Backloggery is dumb, if I wanted to type in the games I wanted to keep track of, why not just use Excel at that point?

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the app 'My Game Collection'. It's pretty good. They have a list for owned/played games and a wishlist you can add games to. You can tag games with your own tags amd sort them by it. So I use tags like currently playing, finished, dropped, not played yet etc. It also let's you rate them from 0 to 10 with 0.5 steps.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GG is really solid so far. I'm impressed. Not quite Letterboxd but it's definitely on the right track.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
Letterboxd is great when it's not giving error messages and taking forever to load. I guess I can see how a game version of the site could be useful if it has similar filters to help you find stuff (year/genre/platform etc). I don't think I'd use it myself tho.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The site I use is Darkadia, which uses data from the Giant Bomb games database.
  • IOS/Android App - No
  • Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists - Yes
  • Friend / Follow system - No?
  • User Reviews - Yes (though not really used much)
  • Tracks Date of Completion - Yes
  • Descriptive Data of Game - Yes
There are a lot of different tags/properties you can set for games in your library. (I own this game on PC, but haven't started playing it.) If you really want to go into detail, you can go into the Copies tab (ex. physical vs. digital, which region, date purchased, box, manual, etc.).

Bjp1k0I.png

Showing the basic game info (from Giant Bomb):

4tiu7Ac.png

The My Games view lets you view/search/filter your library:

za6euXn.jpg

For example, here are my PS4 first person shooters. You can filter by platform, genre, play categories (Played, Unplayed, Completed, Loved, Shelved, etc.), and custom tags.

I8WwVIC.png

You can create three custom tags with a free account. Pro ($10/yr) gets you unlimited custom tags and support for multiple copies. You can still set that you have a game on multiple platforms, with a free account, I think you just can't enter all the specific Copy details that I mentioned earlier for multiple copies (ex. I have a physical NA copy of this game on PS4, and a digital Steam copy on PC).

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
This thread made me miss when Giant Bomb had achievement/trophy tracking. It was really cool to have all of your achievements right there in one place.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is what sites like Mobygames or even Gamefaqs should have evolve to become, especially when they already have so much existing information in their database.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
I really dislike GG's UI and IGDB seems more focused on being a social network.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
It's not as complete but I have been using Player.me and recently SwitchList to track wishlist, organize my collection. But neither let you have a ton of data about play times or anything.

SwirchList emails me about sales and show price history, which is nice.