• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
kiich Not at all! I'm even glad you ask :D

It's a beast of a site and therefore a big undertaking for a redesign. Plus, we're doing a lot of work in the backend as we are migrating tech the site is based on.
With that said, it is already in development :)

We will release in 'phases', to minimise headaches haha. Phase 1 will be the Discover (homepage) and the Games pages, Phase 2 would likely be the lists features and/or Profile pages, etc..

Phase 1 will release during Q1 this year!
Thank you!
I'm already setting up my lists on IGDB then.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've been using grouvee.com . It's a straightforward facsimile of goodreads for video games. It gets the job done.

I use Grouvee too, but I'm not in love with it for the same reason I don't love Goodreads. They're both a little messy and missing that "it just works" feeling. Everything else posted in the thread isn't hitting that sweet spot yet either.

I LOVE Letterboxd (to the point I watch more movies because of it), but there really isn't a comparable site for games yet, I agree.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just made an account on GG and leterboxd. GG seems... Not very useful. It's basically a list of the games I've played, it really does lack features. Is there any roadmap for them?

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
GG is slow. RAWG is nice and has lots of statistics. I like that. Your own personal stats.

I'm liking IGDB. Relatively fast, functional and nice looking.

RAWG is nice in that you can set what system you have the game for*, the rating system is more simple, and you can mark it as beaten or abandoned. It looks really nice, too. The lists/collection view is pretty bad. And I don't know what to do with multiplayer games. Like, Mario Kart comes out every month to play with friends. But I'm not really currently playing it. I've not beaten it. But I haven't abanoned it either. I just play it and Astro Bear Party different. They don't belong in those categories. Also, what do with a game I have purchase and will play next, but am not currently play? My currently playing is full of my backlog.

IGDB is nice. I kind of wish it had the ability to set what system you bought a game on, especially since it does keep a detail list of it's release on each platform. I also wish you could see all games, beaten or currently playing. But those are on seperate lists. The rating system has too many options. I like simple.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
GG is slow. RAWG is nice and has lots of statistics. I like that. Your own personal stats.

I'm liking IGDB. Relatively fast, functional and nice looking.

RAWG is nice in that you can set what system you have the game for*, the rating system is more simple, and you can mark it as beaten or abandoned. It looks really nice, too. The lists/collection view is pretty bad. And I don't know what to do with multiplayer games. Like, Mario Kart comes out every month to play with friends. But I'm not really currently playing it. I've not beaten it. But I haven't abanoned it either. I just play it and Astro Bear Party different. They don't belong in those categories. Also, what do with a game I have purchase and will play next, but am not currently play? My currently playing is full of my backlog.

IGDB is nice. I kind of wish it had the ability to set what system you bought a game on, especially since it does keep a detail list of it's release on each platform. I also wish you could see all games, beaten or currently playing. But those are on seperate lists. The rating system has too many options. I like simple.
I feel like the optimal way would be something like "Currently Playing", "Backlog" "Owned" and "Dropped". Games like competitive games are really difficult to tag and I would just leave them on "Owned".

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Updated the OP. Really crazy how many developers we have among us and how many options there are out there. Really appreciate what you guys are doing and look forward to trying some of the other options mentioned in here and for future redesigns on the way.

For me I guess in the end the most important feature is to have smart categories to lump games into and being able to search and discover games and add them to these categories quickly. Letterboxd is really good at that.

If we had a site that was just identical to Letterboxd but for games, the world would be a better place. Wanted this for ages.

EDIT: Also that Handmaiden rating is correct.

Damn straight!

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I use Backloggery, it's not very fancy and we've been waiting for the overhaul for years now but it works.
No database, you have to input everything on your own, but this way you don't have to rely on incomplete games etc.
Also I don't think I want to recompile a list of 1000+ games on another service lol.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Signed up for GG. Kinda lame you can't write your own mini review/give a score. Unless I'm missing something?

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Signed up for GG and IGDB.
Both let you handle your collection in weird ways, there's not really a way to track what you have and what you don't.
I know that's not probably their main focus, but it's not worth it for me.
Also, databases are not perfect.

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Signed up for GG and IGDB.
Both let you handle your collection in weird ways, there's not really a way to track what you have and what you don't.
I know that's not probably their main focus, but it's not worth it for me.
Also, databases are not perfect.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?
FAKE EDIT: I tried to explain myself and typed the same exact sentence.
Basically there's no way to mark a game as "owned", and then from there go and choose if it's beaten, abandoned, completed etc.
And not being able to save the console I own a game for is a big no from me.
About the database, GG for example mixes titles and covers a bit.
Both good ideas but I'll stick with the more malleable backloggery

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
FAKE EDIT: I tried to explain myself and typed the same exact sentence.
Basically there's no way to mark a game as "owned", and then from there go and choose if it's beaten, abandoned, completed etc.
And not being able to save the console I own a game for is a big no from me.
About the database, GG for example mixes titles and covers a bit.
Both good ideas but I'll stick with the more malleable backloggery
RAWG does both. ☺ You can choose a platform and you can choose "uncategorized" or "not played" for those games that you haven't "completed" or "abandoned."

However, it's still not enough for multiplayer games that can't be "completed." And some people just like to group them some other way. So we are thinking to make customizable categories for the library this year.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Updated the OP. Really crazy how many developers we have among us and how many options there are out there. Really appreciate what you guys are doing and look forward to trying some of the other options mentioned in here and for future redesigns on the way.
Thanked you on Twitter, and thanking you here. ☺ Thanks for updating, would love to hear any feedback you'll get.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania

RAWG is nice in that you can set what system you have the game for*, the rating system is more simple, and you can mark it as beaten or abandoned. It looks really nice, too.

Thanks!

The lists/collection view is pretty bad.

I know! Collections have not been updated since Dec 2017. We have lots of plans to revamp them this year. We are but a small startup, didn't have time to show them some love last year. :-(

And I don't know what to do with multiplayer games. Like, Mario Kart comes out every month to play with friends. But I'm not really currently playing it. I've not beaten it. But I haven't abanoned it either. I just play it and Astro Bear Party different. They don't belong in those categories. Also, what do with a game I have purchase and will play next, but am not currently play? My currently playing is full of my backlog.

Yes, that might be a problem. We are going to make those categories customizable. It's up on our product to-do list, we even have designs for them. We'll def ship it in coming months.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Also, that screenshot looks really old. ☺ Here's how RAWG looks now.
2019-01-12-22-09-33.png

The top of the front page. I am logged in.

2019-01-12-22-09-56.png

My library. I really need to finish those final chicken challenges in Guacamelee! 2.

2019-01-12-22-11-28.png

The game page. I rated Ori as "Exceptional." God I love this game.

And with that, I am stopping to spam the thread. :-D Thank you for your attention.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
RAWG does both. ☺ You can choose a platform and you can choose "uncategorized" or "not played" for those games that you haven't "completed" or "abandoned."

However, it's still not enough for multiplayer games that can't be "completed." And some people just like to group them some other way. So we are thinking to make customizable categories for the library this year.
Ok I tried it and here's my report (I might have missed something):
You cannot put a single game as owned on two different platforms
The database is solid but not perfect (aside from the usual Japanese games missing, some you cannot own on the console you have it for, like both Sonic Racing games not being on 360) (But I just checked and edited the entry on the fly so there's that)
You cannot add Arcade boards
You cannot add games to mini consoles (but this might be a choice to streamline the platforms list)
Mario 64 is not #1
What is a Sega Genesis pls

Other from that I like it, the UI is ok and I wish I had the patience to put every game I own in to see my stats.

PS: why only "completed" on the completion status? I'm probably too used to Backloggery now but I wish there was another step between 100% and not finished

Not meaning to shit on your work, of these sites I visited it's the one I'm liking the most!

EDIT: I see there's a lot of double entries, but there was no Sonic 06. I got ya tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Also, that screenshot looks really old. ☺ Here's how RAWG looks now.
2019-01-12-22-09-33.png

The top of the front page. I am logged in.

2019-01-12-22-09-56.png

My library. I really need to finish those final chicken challenges in Guacamelee! 2.

2019-01-12-22-11-28.png

The game page. I rated Ori as "Exceptional." God I love this game.

And with that, I am stopping to spam the thread. :-D Thank you for your attention.

Ha will update next time I'm at a laptop. Had to do a Google images search from my phone. Those do indeed look quote nice!

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
You cannot put a single game as owned on two different platforms
The database is solid but not perfect (aside from the usual Japanese games missing, some you cannot own on the console you have it for, like both Sonic Racing games not being on 360) (But I just checked and edited the entry on the fly so there's that)
You cannot add Arcade boards
You cannot add games to mini consoles (but this might be a choice to streamline the platforms list)
Mario 64 is not #1
What is a Sega Genesis pls

Other from that I like it, the UI is ok and I wish I had the patience to put every game I own in to see my stats.

PS: why only "completed" on the completion status? I'm probably too used to Backloggery now but I wish there was another step between 100% and not finished

Not meaning to shit on your work, of these sites I visited it's the one I'm liking the most!
Have you tried Grouvee.com?

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
1. You cannot put a single game as owned on two different platforms
2. The database is solid but not perfect (aside from the usual Japanese games missing, some you cannot own on the console you have it for, like both Sonic Racing games not being on 360) (But I just checked and edited the entry on the fly so there's that)
3. You cannot add Arcade boards
4. You cannot add games to mini consoles (but this might be a choice to streamline the platforms list)
5. Mario 64 is not #1
6. What is a Sega Genesis pls
7. Other from that I like it, the UI is ok and I wish I had the patience to put every game I own in to see my stats.
8. PS: why only "completed" on the completion status? I'm probably too used to Backloggery now but I wish there was another step between 100% and not finished
9. Not meaning to shit on your work, of these sites I visited it's the one I'm liking the most!
1. Yes. That's a very "pro" feature, however we might do it.
2. Far from perfect, I'd say. We are working on it day and night, and our users help us a ton by submitting games and correcting mistakes.
3. We'll probably expand into that some day in the future, not soon tho.
4. Yes, subject to discuss. We also lack some really old platforms (as well as games for them). We'll add older ones, but mini-consoles are something that we need to think about. Are they separate platforms or just emulators of the old ones?
5. You mean "Super Mario Odyssey"? Weird, I need to spoof the user ratings in the database. Brb.
6. Genesis is Mega Drive. We figured that Genesis is a more popular name for it. Perhaps we'll have to list both like "Genesis/Mega Drive"?
7. Thank you! We have automatic syncing with Steam, Xbox and PSN, and are currently making the one for GOG. Also there's a fan-made Chrome extension which syncs games with other stores as well. They say it works even if your profiles are private. Couldn't really recommend it because I don't know the guys who make it personally, but I know that some of our hardcore users like it, especially those that want to keep their profiles private. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rawgin-game-library-assis/mkecpampjhgoeijppnpdlfofhgdflbpi As for Nintendo and mobiles, they have no APIs or even dedicated profiles pages with games, so we can't work with that. :-( I love Nintendo, but their online-services are really behind their competition. As for the mobiles, Google and Apple are too closed companies and they don't like to share their users' data with anybody.
8. Working on customizable categories, as I mentioned it above. Hope to ship it really soon.
9. No offence taken! Thanks for your feedback. ♥ If not for critique, how could we possibly make RAWG better?

Cheers!

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If not for critique, how could we possibly make RAWG better?

Can I jump in on this one? I love the site but there's just a few things keeping me from leaving Grouvee at this point:

1) I really like to keep track of dates - when I started playing and when I finished with it.
2) Ability to sort by those dates - this is what makes it "like Letterboxd" to me.

Others:
3) Is there a way to just get a quick list instead of the tiles? They look great, but not as functional.
4) There's not a quick way to add games then get back to my library (two steps) - could add an inline add feature from library?
5) The collections pages are messy and not nice to look at imo

I really, really love the rating system though. I never knew how badly I hated stars/points until I saw yours! :)

Also love how accessible you are, ha. Thanks!

Last edited:

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Can I jump in on this one? I love the site but there's just a few things keeping me from leaving Grouvee at this point:

1) I really like to keep track of dates - when I started playing and when I finished with it.
2) Ability to sort by those dates - this is what makes it "like Letterboxd" to me.

Others:
3) Is there a way to just get a quick list instead of the tiles? They look great, but not as functional.
4) Is there a way to go back directly to your list of games from the search instead of back to the site's home? (when I click the X)
5) The collections pages are messy and not nice to look at

I really, really love the rating system though. I never knew how badly I hated stars/points until I saw yours! :)

Also love how accessible you are, ha. Thanks!
Sure, hop in!

1–2. This is also a very "pro" feature. :-( You see, we started building RAWG keeping a broader audience of gamers in mind. I love Backloggery and HLTB, but they are too "hardcore" to pick up for an average gamer. But we keep in mind that this hardcore audience are the most valuable and loyal users, so we are going to add more features like that in the future.
3. Nope. Don't really have the resources to have and update two layouts in the library just yet. But the idea is good, never thought of it, tbh. I think I need to talk with our designers. Thanks!
4. The "Back" button in the browser? Although I can see you point, I need to drop a line to our UX team, perhaps it was unintentional.
5. Yes, sorry, s o r r y for our collections. They are my favorite tool on RAWG. They are great both for organizing your library (here's my backlog challenge for this year), expressing your creativity (guilty pleasure games) and community events (I started compiling all games we are waiting for in 2019, need to work on it a lot). But the layout and editing tools suck massive ass. We haven't updated collections for over a year already and have quite a few ideas for them this year.

Yes, thank you! 5-stars must die! :-D We also see that most people enjoy our rating system and we've aggregated well over 100,000 user ratings in less than a year. It's fun and easy to use, and we are happy to see people enjoy it.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Question: Do any of these give you recommendations based on the games you've enjoyed? Similar to Spotify's Discover playlists I guess?

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
Question: Do any of these give you recommendations based on the games you've enjoyed? Similar to Spotify's Discover playlists I guess?
For us (IGDB) not specifically yet as per the user, but based on a game we have a recommendation algorithm that will suggest similar other games. This is based on a mix of ratings, shared lists, keywords etc..

Expanding this to personal recommendation for the users would be amazing :)

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Working on it on RAWG right now. That was the original idea, and I hope we'll run the first tests in coming months. We just need to nail how to deliver a recommendation to the user, the reco algorithm is a simple thing to launch when you have data—although you can polish it regularly as it can never be fully finished.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Working on it on RAWG right now. That was the original idea, and I hope we'll run the first tests in coming months. We just need to nail how to deliver a recommendation to the user, the reco algorithm is a simple thing to launch when you have data—although you can polish it regularly as it can never be fully finished.

This sounds awesome! Thank you! I'd love to give it a try when it's released!

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Backloggery is simple yeah, but you never have to experience the "oh, the game I'm looking for isn't here" feeling. Which is nice because Steam/PC gets a lot of games from Japan/China that never show up on consoles or any mainstream Western websites really.

I also get to customize my user page however I like, and the info-boxes on a per-game basis are quite informative if you want them to be. Don't gotta worry about missing DLC/Expansions either. That's the thing, Backloggery is a lot of work because it doesn't have a database and you have to enter everything yourself but I've found it to be wholly rewarding. My collection is nearing 900 games, and I can sort that by completion status, system, service, rating, country of origin, whatever I want.

Social stuff is basic too. You can leave comments on each others profiles, you follow each others status updates, and can send PM's. Still, I've met great people there over common interests.

OP
OP
StraySheep

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I might post an update somewhere on RE if mods won't be against that. It's self-promotion after all.

At the very least feel free to bump this thread! Same to sighAlot or anyone else with an update to their site. If that happens I may reconfigure the OP in some way, and either this can become an OT/Hangout for these sites or we can make one.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I would like to know how did you guys assemble the avengers? This is a serious question, I have a UI ready for a site like this, but I can't find anyone to make it for me, and no learning to code and make it will take too long. Any kind of information will be appreciated.

Apr 8, 2018
As someone who uses TV Time to track TV Shows I'm watching/have watched, this is really awesome. I've been looking for an app/website to track movies I've watched, and I've never really thought about using one for video games too. Checking out Letterboxd now and will check out GG and IGDB later. Thanks a bunch OP!

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
At the very least feel free to bump this thread! Same to sighAlot or anyone else with an update to their site. If that happens I may reconfigure the OP in some way, and either this can become an OT/Hangout for these sites or we can make one.
Noted, thanks a lot! We should have some juicy updates in the coming weeks/months so i'll be more than happy to drop back in here to inform people then.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I've always just kept a google doc that I update throughout the year with what I've watched, played, and read - had no idea there were these kinds of sites out there. Letterboxd's diary feature is basically exactly what I have been trying to accomplish on my own!

That being said - it seems like none of these game tracking sites have that diary function? I checked out GG and it just has a tag to basically add something as playing or beaten or so on - not tracking any info into _when_ I started playing it.

Do any sites track that info? That would be the most important feature to me, knowing when I started a game, when I finished it, and so on. Would make year end lists so much easier.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I use HLTB, it has a more expansive db of games compared to some others and it shows me the average playtimes for beating a game, 100%ing etc. so I can plan accordingly which games to play first.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Do any sites track that info? That would be the most important feature to me, knowing when I started a game, when I finished it, and so on. Would make year end lists so much easier.

Although I don't love it, Grouvee does exactly that and I can't find a better alternative (even among the sites mentioned here). I'd jump ship in a heartbeat, but nothing fills the gap the way I need it to.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
elcoldtown
Edit: Oh, I just realized I assumed RAWG was based on Giant Bomb, but I don't know if that's the case. What do you use for your database?
No worries, that's okay. All the sources we track listed in the footer, but we don't use Giant Bomb. Our users also contribute to the database a lot, especially when it comes to older games. The game you mentioned is here, but it has a different title — the one it was released on Genesis with. Now I added an alternative title (any personal can do that if they have a profile).

We are always updating the database and it's never perfect. We even hold contests, correction runs, when rawgers edit selected game pages for a limited time and the winners get games from our developers/publishers friends.

Also, in coming weeks we are rolling out a better search. :-)

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hey there! It seems like I'm late for the party. :-( Lost my older account so had to wait for this to be approved. Anyways, it's good to be back and thanks for those who mentioned RAWG here, we invest our blood, sweat and soul into it daily.

I love what the guys over in IGDB are doing, and we had several friendly chats with sighAlot. I can totally see them scratching "the Letterboxd for games" itch as well as RAWG does.

I don't know if that's true for IGDB though, but we are also moving towards a reco system. Since our public launch back in February, we've aggregated lots of data and are currently building our first algorithms for recommendations. Letterboxd is pretty barebones on that side, if we are speaking about movies. They just let you log films and compile lists, and that's it. Sure, they use their data for fancy lists and fun blog-posts but it doesn't seem to go any further in the product. Although some users explicitly ask them for it. (Reddit is currently down, can't find the thread about it.)

So what we are going to do is to provide not only the tools for tracking your backlog and syncing new games with some obvious additions like a wishlist, release calendar, etc., but also to help people discover more games based on their multiplatform games preference/experience. We feel like this place in the games industry is something that we could make a difference in.
Hey I signed up for rawg last night, it's a great site!
Are there any plans for syncing with a more complete games database? There are a lot of titles missing, I've been adding in Xbox games alone this morning (curse the people adding games for PS2 and GC but purposely skipping Xbox, I'll find you!)

Otherwise the site is running good so far, the game profile sync feature is greatly GREATLY appreciated.