• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
The site I use is Darkadia, which uses data from the Giant Bomb games database.
  • IOS/Android App - No
  • Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists - Yes
  • Friend / Follow system - No?
  • User Reviews - Yes (though not really used much)
  • Tracks Date of Completion - Yes
  • Descriptive Data of Game - Yes
There are a lot of different tags/properties you can set for games in your library. (I own this game on PC, but haven't started playing it.) If you really want to go into detail, you can go into the Copies tab (ex. physical vs. digital, which region, date purchased, box, manual, etc.).

Bjp1k0I.png

Showing the basic game info (from Giant Bomb):

4tiu7Ac.png

The My Games view lets you view/search/filter your library:

za6euXn.jpg

For example, here are my PS4 first person shooters. You can filter by platform, genre, play categories (Played, Unplayed, Completed, Loved, Shelved, etc.), and custom tags.

I8WwVIC.png

You can create three custom tags with a free account. Pro ($10/yr) gets you unlimited custom tags and support for multiple copies. You can still set that you have a game on multiple platforms, with a free account, I think you just can't enter all the specific Copy details that I mentioned earlier for multiple copies (ex. I have a physical NA copy of this game on PS4, and a digital Steam copy on PC).

This is what I use, definitley reccomend. Doesn't have the community features others do but for a personal backlog site it's great

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Hey I signed up for rawg last night, it's a great site!
Are there any plans for syncing with a more complete games database? There are a lot of titles missing, I've been adding in Xbox games alone this morning (curse the people adding games for PS2 and GC but purposely skipping Xbox, I'll find you!)

Otherwise the site is running good so far, the game profile sync feature is greatly GREATLY appreciated.
Hey, glad you liked it!

Right now we have the biggest games database in the world. But! There's still lots to do and we miss quite a few titles on PS1/2 and some on the original Xbox as well. The only thing I can say is a huge thank you for your help. We'll catch up with all older platforms eventually but it takes time.

Btw, if you want a better contact with other database editors and report any mistakes quickly, join our Discord here → https://discord.gg/erNybDp

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I skimmed through so sorry if this was asked but do any of these sites let you sync to your accounts so it automatically tracks progress and/or scan barcodes to quickly add games to your library?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I was looking for something like this a while back, and it seems there's now not one, but several options.

I've checked out both RAWG and IGDB (as they seem like the ones with the most features and active development - I love seeing devs actually interacting with the community), and they both seem pretty good.

For RAWG, I like how it shows game info, particularly the creators section. Although the super bright green "Rate the all time best games" banner does kind of ruin the overall look. And the recommendations features that are supposed to be in the works according to this thread seem like they could be great.

On the other hand, the overall database is pretty lacking compared to IGDB (at least for PC games), and also sometimes wrong (For example, Magic: The Gathering seems to have merged the old Microprose game and the Xbox version together, so you get the description and box art of the old one, achievements and store info of the new one, and screenshots of both). Some of these seems like they could be fixed through the edit game UI (although I'm not sure what the policy there is for new users), but the achievements thing doesn't seem like it's editable, and neither is the creators section. The list of genres is also very limited IMO, as it's missing things like interactive fiction/VN or rhythm games. I'm also not a huge fan of the rating system, as it seems too limiting, but I can live with it.

On the other hand, IGDB has a more complete database in terms of games I care about, but with much more limited info on them (the more obscure releases mostly just seems copied from the Giantbomb database). And the overall interface seems to have slightly less features (I like how RAWG let's you mark games as completes/abandoned/... without having to make separate lists). I do however prefer the cleaner design of the site, as well as the normal rating system. I also like that it has the option to export the list to a csv file, which seems useful in case the site ever goes under or something better just comes along, as it can ease the process of migrating somewhere else. It's probably something no dev ever wants to plan for (why make it easier for your users to abandon your site right?), but after my experiences with myanimelist, it's a feature I very much appreciate.

I'm not really a fan of how either of them display collections/lists though. I'd prefer something simple like myanimelist or anilist has, where you just get a clean, sortable list of all games with their ratings, but neither of the two seems to do that. Still, It's nice we finally have sites that let you categorize games with a somewhat complete database, so I'll probably stick with one of the two, as I've always wanted to get a list together just to see how much stuff I've played throughout the years.

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for this thread. I was looking for something like this a while back, and it seems there's now not one, but several options.

I've checked out both RAWG and IGDB (as they seem like the ones with the most features and active development - I love seeing devs actually interacting with the community), and they both seem pretty good.

For RAWG, I like how it shows game info, particularly the creators section. Although the super bright green "Rate the all time best games" banner does kind of ruin the overall look. And the recommendations features that are supposed to be in the works according to this thread seem like they could be great.

On the other hand, the overall database is pretty lacking compared to IGDB (at least for PC games), and also sometimes wrong (For example, Magic: The Gathering seems to have merged the old Microprose game and the Xbox version together, so you get the description and box art of the old one, achievements and store info of the new one, and screenshots of both). Some of these seems like they could be fixed through the edit game UI (although I'm not sure what the policy there is for new users), but the achievements thing doesn't seem like it's editable, and neither is the creators section. The list of genres is also very limited IMO, as it's missing things like interactive fiction/VN or rhythm games. I'm also not a huge fan of the rating system, as it seems too limiting, but I can live with it.

On the other hand, IGDB has a more complete database in terms of games I care about, but with much more limited info on them (the more obscure releases mostly just seems copied from the Giantbomb database). And the overall interface seems to have slightly less features (I like how RAWG let's you mark games as completes/abandoned/... without having to make separate lists). I do however prefer the cleaner design of the site, as well as the normal rating system. I also like that it has the option to export the list to a csv file, which seems useful in case the site ever goes under or something better just comes along, as it can ease the process of migrating somewhere else. It's probably something no dev ever wants to plan for (why make it easier for your users to abandon your site right?), but after my experiences with myanimelist, it's a feature I very much appreciate.

I'm not really a fan of how either of them display collections/lists though. I'd prefer something simple like myanimelist or anilist has, where you just get a clean, sortable list of all games with their ratings, but neither of the two seems to do that. Still, It's nice we finally have sites that let you categorize games with a somewhat complete database, so I'll probably stick with one of the two, as I've always wanted to get a list together just to see how much stuff I've played throughout the years.

Fantastic feedback thank you!
I can clarify a few of the IGDB points :)

-The site being open for any users to edit it's not uncommon some of the info gets grabbed from elsewhere (often Wikipedia or even GiantBomb indeed).
-We actually have big plans to revamp our list feature, it's our no1 requested upgrade even :D We might introduce more categories such as Completed/Abandoned in the future along site that update. No exact ETA on that unfortunately, if you saw my earlier post in the thread i mentioned we are currently in the process of redesigning the entire site so new features should come alongside.
-Thanks! As the designer myself i'm glad you like the clean site design ;)
-It's a good point that the csv export also doubles as a security feature for some user who use the site specifically for lists. It was originally requested by some of our early adopters so we implemented it, and we're glad we did :)
-I agree the way we are currently listing games could look better, improved sorting and filtering is something i've carefully thought about including while designing the new version.

Happy listing!

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
I'm using the app 'My Game Collection'. It's pretty good. They have a list for owned/played games and a wishlist you can add games to. You can tag games with your own tags amd sort them by it. So I use tags like currently playing, finished, dropped, not played yet etc. It also let's you rate them from 0 to 10 with 0.5 steps.
I'm also using this app, it was the closest with my needs.
But I have to try these webs, should be good to have a direct web interface instead of using bluestaks.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic feedback thank you!
I can clarify a few of the IGDB points :)

-The site being open for any users to edit it's not uncommon some of the info gets grabbed from elsewhere (often Wikipedia or even GiantBomb indeed).
-We actually have big plans to revamp our list feature, it's our no1 requested upgrade even :D We might introduce more categories such as Completed/Abandoned in the future along site that update. No exact ETA on that unfortunately, if you saw my earlier post in the thread i mentioned we are currently in the process of redesigning the entire site so new features should come alongside.
-Thanks! As the designer myself i'm glad you like the clean site design ;)
-It's a good point that the csv export also doubles as a security feature for some user who use the site specifically for lists. It was originally requested by some of our early adopters so we implemented it, and we're glad we did :)
-I agree the way we are currently listing games could look better, improved sorting and filtering is something i've carefully thought about including while designing the new version.

Happy listing!

Thanks for the reply. I gave the site a more detailed look today, since it seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for. Some more feedback:

- The top 100 page was great for quickly getting a basic list together, as I could just go through the games and rate them without having to remember every single thing I've played and then open individual pages for every game (which probably saved hours of work). However, it's limited to just a small number of games. If the same kind of ranking interface would be added to the search page, that would make things a lot simpler, as I could just filter by platform and genre, sort by rating, and go down the list. Right now, filtering the top 100 by year seems to be the best alternative.

- Related to the above, I would also have appreciated a button to add a game to a custom list straight from the top 100/search page, instead of having to open the game's page first. Not really super important, but it would have helped a bit.

- It doesn't seem like you can rate games without a release date. Which makes sense (you don't want people rating unreleased games), but does present some difficulties with a small section of games that don't have a release date in the DB yet. It's even worse for some really obscure games where I can't even find release date info to put in the database. I don't know how you'd really solve this though, and the amount of games like that is probably so small it doesn't really matter. I also found a game (Cardfight Online) that has a release date listed (which was the closed beta release date I would assume), but the game has since been cancelled. Should this be marked as "Cancelled" or "Offline" in the status field?

- When editing a game's info, I was surprised to see there was no place to put any notes/information about what you're editing. I see that added changes have to be reviewed, so it feels like it would be nice to have a place where I could tell the reviewers where the edited data is coming from, so that they can see it's correct without needing to do tons of research themselves. This would probably also be helpful in cases where corrections to the data are being made (so that you can show why you think the new information is better than the old one).

- I also love the fact that all the data is available to other developers through the API. I don't think I'll ever use it myself, but it gives me some extra motivation to actually edit the database info.

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I gave the site a more detailed look today, since it seemed to be the closest to what I was looking for. Some more feedback:

- The top 100 page was great for quickly getting a basic list together, as I could just go through the games and rate them without having to remember every single thing I've played and then open individual pages for every game (which probably saved hours of work). However, it's limited to just a small number of games. If the same kind of ranking interface would be added to the search page, that would make things a lot simpler, as I could just filter by platform and genre, sort by rating, and go down the list. Right now, filtering the top 100 by year seems to be the best alternative.

- Related to the above, I would also have appreciated a button to add a game to a custom list straight from the top 100/search page, instead of having to open the game's page first. Not really super important, but it would have helped a bit.

- It doesn't seem like you can rate games without a release date. Which makes sense (you don't want people rating unreleased games), but does present some difficulties with a small section of games that don't have a release date in the DB yet. It's even worse for some really obscure games where I can't even find release date info to put in the database. I don't know how you'd really solve this though, and the amount of games like that is probably so small it doesn't really matter. I also found a game (Cardfight Online) that has a release date listed (which was the closed beta release date I would assume), but the game has since been cancelled. Should this be marked as "Cancelled" or "Offline" in the status field?

- When editing a game's info, I was surprised to see there was no place to put any notes/information about what you're editing. I see that added changes have to be reviewed, so it feels like it would be nice to have a place where I could tell the reviewers where the edited data is coming from, so that they can see it's correct without needing to do tons of research themselves. This would probably also be helpful in cases where corrections to the data are being made (so that you can show why you think the new information is better than the old one).

- I also love the fact that all the data is available to other developers through the API. I don't think I'll ever use it myself, but it gives me some extra motivation to actually edit the database info.

Hey! More awesome feedback :)
-Regarding the the 'quick rating' i'm pleased to tell you that we implemented this very feature today as a matter of fact! The redesign is in closed beta right now and we rolled it out this afternoon. Users will be able to rate straight from a game 'card' without having to go into a game page.

-having change notes on the edits is something we've thought about as well, so far it's been more or less manageable thanks to our awesome moderators, but we're starting to see more and more edits coming through so for our own sanity and data quality this will soon become a must you are right.

-we do have an Offline and Cancelled status, of which we can also track the date it went as such. If it's missing for this particular game it might be we or our users haven't got around to it, that's the downside of having many many games on the site is that there can be holes in the info, but it is improving on a daily basis!

-That's been very interesting for us as well, we keep seeing amazing projects and 3rd party tools being created with the API and it's of course great for indie devs as well. More games for everyone! thank you for your contribution :)

I'll DM you if you're interested in being included in our closed beta for the new site ;)

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Despite my initial cold shoulder toward IGDB because I mistook it for another websites, I'm really liking it. A very big DB of games. The lists feature is great. Edits go through nicely. And a lot of the things I'd like to see are being worked on behind the scenes. It's great.

I'll DM you if you're interested in being included in our closed beta for the new site ;)
I would be interested if they are not...

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
Despite my initial cold shoulder toward IGDB because I mistook it for another websites, I'm really liking it. A very big DB of games. The lists feature is great. Edits go through nicely. And a lot of the things I'd like to see are being worked on behind the scenes. It's great.

I would be interested if they are not...
You already are, check Discord ;)

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
You already are, check Discord ;)

Thanks, I didn't realize that. Talk about not paying attention. The new design is looking more modern everywhere and cleans up some bits of the old one. I like how game pages show a lot more info.

I really dislike GG's UI and IGDB seems more focused on being a social network.

GG was very slow when I tested it this month. IGDB's redesign seems to be moving away from the social network and posting aspect. sighAlot are you keeping the feed and posting? Is that being prioritized or just not on the main page anymore? Going recommendations more so?

sighAlot

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks, I didn't realize that. Talk about not paying attention. The new design is looking more modern everywhere and cleans up some bits of the old one. I like how game pages show a lot more info.

GG was very slow when I tested it this month. IGDB's redesign seems to be moving away from the social network and posting aspect. sighAlot are you keeping the feed and posting? Is that being prioritized or just not on the main page anymore? Going recommendations more so?
We will be keeping the Feed indeed, but not as a forefront. There is less focus on it for now, at least until we get to revisit it for possible improvements.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
elcoldtown
Man, the more I think about it, the more I want to use RAWG. Do people generally use "Not Played" as their backlog list? I'd love to see a separate list for games I did play, but I want to go back to. That doesn't really fit as "Not Played."

I know you're not big on adding a place for me to record when I started/finished a game, but any way of implementing a sort by when I added it, even if it doesn't show when? I'd like to see when I added games to my lists, even if it is just by year or in order.

And a simplified list view? Those boxes look cool but they're going to become unruly when I have hundreds of games in here.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Ughhh I just transferred my spreadsheet manually to backloggery. These services are more what I had in mind.

Is there any with an import function?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
mobygames.com still looks like the biggest and most complete to me. But even there the community isn't nowhere near as big as goodreads or IMDB for books and movies. It's a bit frustrating tbh. One definitive place for videogames would be really great. There are many great sites like listed in this thread, but they all seem too niche and small compared to what you have for books and movies.

Jul 10, 2018
Going to check it out again. Completionator and Backloggery are lonely places, and RAWG is much too "web 2.0" for me.

By the way, is there anything like Trakt for magazines? Would loke to keep track of the which issues of Retro Gamer, Gamefan, EGM etc. that I have read, or have not.

Last edited:

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018

tommbars

Apr 11, 2019
Hello! Apologies for the thread bump possibly, we just relaunched the new IGDB website that i posted about in here.
It's Desktop only for now and we'll be rolling out features from the old site as we go along. If you're interested here's the release blog post :)
https://medium.com/igdb/redesigning-igdb-part-1-2b1f490f7b35

Now I'm using this site, which is nice but feels a little abandoned. Fortunately, my gamelist is still poor, so I think I'm gonna try yours. Thanks for your work!

EDIT: I tried it out and experienced two problems: I cannot sign in via my Facebook account on the new site and I'm unable to upload a profile picture. Are these common problems?

Last edited:

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Now I'm using this site, which is nice but feels a little abandoned. Fortunately, my gamelist is still poor, so I think I'm gonna try yours. Thanks for your work!

EDIT: I tried it out and experienced two problems: I cannot sign in via my Facebook account on the new site and I'm unable to upload a profile picture. Are these common problems?

I haven't had any problems, but my account is a few months old, I think. The Beta Site is just showcasing some new tech, but most stuff still happens on the old site. I'd recommend making your account on www.igdb.com and then going to the beta site and loggin in there afterward. (Some features boot you back to the old side, so you need to be signed in on both anyway.)

More updates are coming, pretty much every month, as I hear it.

Swissendo

Oct 29, 2017
I've been switching from site to site, currently using Rawg after deleting my Grouvee, but no platform makes me want to "stick around". Rawg/IGDB feel crowded/busy, and the other sites are either slow, visually unappealing or abandoned. I also find it surprising that most sites have no "Premium Account" like Letterboxd, which seems to be their main source of income. I would gladly pay a few bucks for a site that ticks all my boxes...

Anyways, I've found another site that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, called "Backloggd". Seems to be a carbon copy of Letterboxd, which in this case might not be a bad thing. Still in Beta though, and quite a lot of features are missing. Haven't really tried it out as well, just did some browsing.

Backloggd
oWItNlt.jpg

mBzYfYD.jpg
  • IOS/Android App - No
  • Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists - No (in development?)
  • Friend / Follow system - Yes
  • User Reviews - Yes
  • Tracks Date of Completion - No
  • Descriptive Data of Game - No

kiich

Jan 2, 2018

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I've been switching from site to site, currently using Rawg after deleting my Grouvee, but no platform makes me want to "stick around". Rawg/IGDB feel crowded/busy, and the other sites are either slow, visually unappealing or abandoned. I also find it surprising that most sites have no "Premium Account" like Letterboxd, which seems to be their main source of income. I would gladly pay a few bucks for a site that ticks all my boxes...

Anyways, I've found another site that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, called "Backloggd". Seems to be a carbon copy of Letterboxd, which in this case might not be a bad thing. Still in Beta though, and quite a lot of features are missing. Haven't really tried it out as well, just did some browsing.

Backloggd
oWItNlt.jpg

mBzYfYD.jpg
  • IOS/Android App - No
  • Categories for Game Progress and Custom Lists - No (in development?)
  • Friend / Follow system - Yes
  • User Reviews - Yes
  • Tracks Date of Completion - No
  • Descriptive Data of Game - No
I like this site so far, wish there was a little more granularity for sorting your games, and it desperately needs an import feature.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Are we getting any closer with this?

The main thing I want to be able to do is filter out genres, or select multiple genres to achieve same thing. e.g. I want to go through and add all the console/AAA games from each year, and I want to be able to not show indie games because they get in the way.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The main thing I want to be able to do is filter out genres, or select multiple genres to achieve same thing. e.g. I want to go through and add all the console/AAA games from each year, and I want to be able to not show indie games because they get in the way.
This is all cool up until the end. Why? What's the issue with indie games? Kind of feels weird to write them off as "games that get in the way."

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
This is all cool up until the end. Why? What's the issue with indie games? Kind of feels weird to write them off as "games that get in the way."

Oh please. Have you used these sites, or looked at how many games there are on Steam? I just want to be able to easily go through and catalog all the console/AAA/AA-tier titles I've played first without the thousands of indies overpopulating the results, and then conversely only show indies and catalog them afterwards too.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh please. Have you used these sites, or looked at how many games there are on Steam?

I helped developed one of the sites mentioned in this thread.

I just want to be able to easily go through and catalog all the console/AAA/AA-tier titles I've played first without the thousands of indies overpopulating the results, and then conversely only show indies and catalog them afterwards too.

How would a site know how to differentiate between what's indie and what's not? Should Death Stranding be considered indie, would you go by sales, cost of game, etc.?

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I helped developed one of the sites mentioned in this thread.

How would a site know how to differentiate between what's indie and what's not? Should Death Stranding be considered indie, would you go by sales, cost of game, etc.?

Well my original post said filter out genres. A lot of the sites I've look at have genres/tags, but you can only filter by them. Again, a work around would be select everything BUT indie to achieve same thing, but a lot of these sites only let you filter one genre at a time unfortunately.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London

ggapp.io is probably the best we have at the moment. I've been using it regularly for a few months now. Don't think it has that feature though, it's fairly new and is only worked on by one guy.

I doubt anyone else will have it either.

Jul 10, 2018
Ooo I somehow missed this earlier, or it's gotten some updates since I last looked. This seem to be a better fit for me than GG is. Has a journal feature so you can add dates to session, or at least indicate when something was finished.
the Journal 2.0 is coming, the developer has a big roadmap for this listed in his Discord, and there's more Journal features coming in the immediate next update, (1.3)

kiich

Jan 2, 2018
I don't know why every one of these has lists that are all game covers. I want something simple as just lines with game names.
The only one that seems to be like this is the new igdb site but development on it seems very slow and there are a lot of bugs right now.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I don't know why every one of these has lists that are all game covers. I want something simple as just lines with game names.
The only one that seems to be like this is the new igdb site but development on it seems very slow and there are a lot of bugs right now.
It was slow, I think. They had to redesign all the under the hood stuff. But I think now that it's released they will be releasing new features every few weeks. We will see. It's the one I'm currently using.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
So, which one is the most active/functional a year later? I'm getting kinda tired of Backloggery and since I started using Letterboxd I wish I had something like that for games.