• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
None of those games are my type of game despite their artistic/audio achievements. I just don't want to play any game that doesn't have sophisticated AI, decent graphics, and good audio. I don't want anything with indie-esqur graphics or side scrolling.

You wanted games with "flair" so I gave you five examples of indie games with excellent visuals and presentation. Now the games you consume must have "sophisticated AI" as well?! I don't know what to tell you because Hellblade has visuals and audio that rivals any 'triple A' game out there. When it comes to first-person shooters specifically it is a demanding genre and you're not going to get something with the production values and visuals of say Doom from an indie developer. It's just not possible without a major publisher.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You wanted games with "flair" so I gave you five examples of indie games with excellent visuals and presentation. Now the games you consume must have "sophisticated AI" as well?! I don't know what to tell you because Hellblade has visuals and audio that rivals any 'triple A' game out there. When it comes to first-person shooters specifically it is a demanding genre and you're not going to get something with the production values and visuals of say Doom from an indie developer. It's just not possible without a major publisher.

I know that's why I said I would pass.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez those look fucking awesome in the OP. I know of Ion Maiden as that's some old Duke 3D people making it right?

renzollama

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed Dusk a lot more than I thought I would when I purchased it, I think it does itself a bit of a disservice with its aesthetics that don't translate well to screen grabs. In motion the game is a blast to play, fast skating movement/strafing with great accurate weapons that feel really chunky and satisfying. It really starts to pick up at the end of the first episode and start of the second with more wide-open multi-level arenas and varied enemies to leverage different weapon types. It feels a lot more modern (in a good way) than it looks in screen caps.

I only finished the first couple levels in Ion Maiden so far. It's fun but I think the engine holds it back from the kind of kinetic gameplay I'm looking for - that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's probably more akin to what people want from a D3D-esque game.

I've got Amid Evil and Overload on the wishlist, just have a hard time paying for too many 'early access' games at $20+ in a short time period after swearing off early access a few years ago.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Dusk a lot more than I thought I would when I purchased it, I think it does itself a bit of a disservice with its aesthetics that don't translate well to screen grabs. In motion the game is a blast to play, fast skating movement/strafing with great accurate weapons that feel really chunky and satisfying. It really starts to pick up at the end of the first episode and start of the second with more wide-open multi-level arenas and varied enemies to leverage different weapon types. It feels a lot more modern (in a good way) than it looks in screen caps.

I only finished the first couple levels in Ion Maiden so far. It's fun but I think the engine holds it back from the kind of kinetic gameplay I'm looking for - that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's probably more akin to what people want from a D3D-esque game.

I've got Amid Evil and Overload on the wishlist, just have a hard time paying for too many 'early access' games at $20+ in a short time period after swearing off early access a few years ago.
I mean, if you're going to buy early access games, those are the kinds of games to get.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Lmao been gaming since wolfenstein 3D. Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time.

None of those games are my type of game despite their artistic/audio achievements. I just don't want to play any game that doesn't have sophisticated AI, decent graphics, and good audio. I don't want anything with indie-esqur graphics or side scrolling.

Most AAA games don't have sophisticated AI, so what you meant to say is you only play games with big-budget presentations. That's a pretty silly mentality (especially since DX didn't have a big-budget presentation even when it launched) that will severely limit your gaming experiences. But to each their own.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's already been mentioned ITT, but for you VR enthusiasts - Overload supports VR and plays pretty damn well with it. It's actually one of the best VR games on Steam at the moment if you ask me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao been gaming since wolfenstein 3D. Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time.

What are "indie-esque" graphics? Does aesthetic not count for decent graphics, or do graphics have to be AAA-level of detail to be decent?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amid Evil is so fucking good.

It's the Heretic on Quake Engine game I always wanted but never got back in the day. Amazing game!

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
Amid Evil is so fucking good.

It's the Heretic on Quake Engine game I always wanted but never got back in the day. Amazing game!

What you wanted is literally Hexen II lol

I'm still annoyed the expansion for Hexen II and Heretic II where never re-released digitally. But Hexen II is readily available today on Steam.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm still annoyed the expansion for Hexen II and Heretic II where never re-released digitally. But Hexen II is readily available today on Steam.
Na Hexen 2 was as it's namesake implies a sequel to Hexen, featuring the class based systems and mp focus and more opened ended level design.

Not that I didn't like Hexen or anything, I just wanted a more traditional Heretic sequel as well. Not that the Heretic 2 we got was bad either, though.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
well, overload will be out of early access in 5 weeks... so waiting for the release version price hike is definitely an option!

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how the campaign proper plays out, Ion Maiden might be my goty.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I hate it I had to refund Ion Maiden and I'll wait until it's out of EA. Worst stutter I've ever seen.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I hate it I had to refund Ion Maiden and I'll wait until it's out of EA. Worst stutter I've ever seen.
Did you try it after the recent April update? That game mode patch certainly helped alleviate the hitching issues I was experiencing with the game.

We've been hard at work on the main game, doing a major performance overhaul and creating a new game mode for our players to enjoy while they wait for the full game to arrive.

+More scripting optimizations to improve overall framerate and reduce hitching
+Fixed OpenGL renderer performance hiccups by optimizing and eliminating mid-game texture streaming and generation
+Implemented precaching of sound files to further eliminate hitching
+Improved OpenGL renderer performance

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
DOOM 2016 made me realize that I love this type of FPS, so yes I'm hella ready. I'm day 1'ing Dusk, Ion Maiden, and Project Warlock whenever they're fully out.

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Too bad arena shooters are so niche nowadays that you can barely keep up a playerbase for MP games.

Unreal Tournament died before it came out, and Quake Champions isn't doing too well either.

Edit: Thank god, the QC numbers are actually slowly going up, 24h peak is 1100.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
i'd consider just going ahead and getting Dusk. already two episodes available and they're pretty meaty and 'finished' per early access.
I don't buy games in EA, ever. :P

I just don't like the idea of playing something in parts. No exception, not even for the likes of Telltale games; I always wait for the full season to be out first.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Did you try it after the recent April update? That game mode patch certainly helped alleviate the hitching issues I was experiencing with the game.

Yeah I actually bought it this Tuesday alongside with Duke 3D 20° Anniversary, since I'm on a retro shooter rampage. Had to refund both, Ion Maiden because of the stutter and Duke because it doesn't include the expansions (Megaton Edition did) which I find unacceptable nowadays.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
WE GOT U COVERED, FAM

http://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

Ion Maiden too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Maiden/

Hell even the ROTT 2013 reboot we all worked on. As buggy and performance heavy as it might be (it was our first game)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217140/Rise_of_the_Triad/

I can only speak for myself and kind of for the 3DR guys but old school level design is what we missed most about these games. Not that we have anything against Roguelike FPS it's just not our thing. We like secrets and monster closets and key cards and such.

Hi, Dave. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

I really enjoyed the ROTT for its weapon and level design variety. It would be great if, later down the line, we got some performance patches.

Wow, surprised we don't have STRAFE posted yet! I know it's out but this is very worth mentioning

I really, really hope it fixes the game's most pressing issues. It's just too promising to be brought down by those issues.

Oct 25, 2017
Cynical old me clicked on this thread ready to go "lol this is what you kids call old-school fps nowadays?". Nah man, OP delivers in spades. Thanks a lot for the recommendations! Strafe was pretty shit imo though. All style and no substance.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Cynical old me clicked on this thread ready to go "lol this is what you kids call old-school fps nowadays?". Nah man, OP delivers in spades. Thanks a lot for the recommendations! Strafe was pretty shit imo though. All style and no substance.

Yeah, Strafe was clearly just people trying to cash in on the nostalgia without actually understanding what made old school FPS good. I wish some of the other games listed in this thread that were much better got as much attention as Strafe did from the press though because it's marketing was very on point and attention grabbing.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
In the wake of all these new old school FPS games getting attention, I think it's also worth revisiting the Doom modding scene again. Doom modding never really stopped, and even over just the last few years a large variety of incredibly well designed levels have come out. If you're anxiously waiting for new episodes of Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Maiden to come out then consider diving into the user created maps for the classics. The Doom gameplay shines just as bright today as it did in the 90's and time has only made the modders understand how to leverage the engine and game design better.

Just in the last few years these are some that stood out to me and got a bit of fanfare

Ancient Aliens
My favorite FPS of 2016 to a point where whenever I think about Doom my brain also dredges up warm memories of playing through this too. It's a huge map pack with wonderful enemy placement, architecture, and use of color. The soundtrack is also really cool.

cFbldPnh.png

Foursite
A single massive map broken into quadrants that all feel pretty different. One of the cool things about the level design in this one is that despite being massive, it does an incredibly good job of keeping you on the correct path. The final encounter is also a pretty interesting way to do a boss battle in Doom.

qSvVlbs.png

Winter's Fury
A visually appealing WAD with decent level design and a good amount of custom content.

714pB.png

The amount of content for Doom alone is staggering. Just scroll through the Cacoward archives to see some of the cream of the crop.

Sorry if there is a better thread to talk a bit about mods for old shooters, this is the best one I know of.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Ancient Aliens
My favorite FPS of 2016 to a point where whenever I think about Doom my brain also dredges up warm memories of playing through this too. It's a huge map pack with wonderful enemy placement, architecture, and use of color. The soundtrack is also really cool.

cFbldPnh.png

Ancient Aliens is a modern classic. It's tough but fair in a way that few WADs are. Perfect game balance. And that is to say nothing of the 10/10 environmental and music aesthetics.

Oct 27, 2017
In the wake of all these new old school FPS games getting attention, I think it's also worth revisiting the Doom modding scene again. Doom modding never really stopped, and even over just the last few years a large variety of incredibly well designed levels have come out. If you're anxiously waiting for new episodes of Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Maiden to come out then consider diving into the user created maps for the classics. The Doom gameplay shines just as bright today as it did in the 90's and time has only made the modders understand how to leverage the engine and game design better.

Just in the last few years these are some that stood out to me and got a bit of fanfare

Ancient Aliens

cFbldPnh.png

Foursite
A single massive map broken into quadrants that all feel pretty different. One of the cool things about the level design in this one is that despite being massive, it does an incredibly good job of keeping you on the correct path. The final encounter is also a pretty interesting way to do a boss battle in Doom.

qSvVlbs.png

Winter's Fury
A visually appealing WAD with decent level design and a good amount of custom content.

714pB.png

The amount of content for Doom alone is staggering. Just scroll through the Cacoward archives to see some of the cream of the crop.

Sorry if there is a better thread to talk a bit about mods for old shooters, this is the best one I know of.
Wow.

Those look awesome as hell

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The way I like to play Doom Wads, since they're almost always gonna be set on Ultra Violence difficulty, is to allow myself to save when

A) I kill 100 enemies
and
B) I pick up a key

Has served me well as a checkpoint system.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017

Hexen II is the shits. The levels are too big and complicated for their own good. I just want to shoot baddies, WTF is this? The engine is lovely though

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Ancient Aliens

cFbldPnh.png

Foursite

qSvVlbs.png

Winter's Fury

714pB.png

I want to do a thread about Doom mods because there are a LOT OF REALLY GOOD ONES.

LIKE REALLY GOOD.

LIKE HOLY SHIT IT FEELS LIKE THERE'S AN INFINITE AMOUNT OF QUALITY CONTENT GOING ON.

Ancient Aliens and Winter's Fury is great, I also recommend... actually, I think I'm going to make a thread about it. But the Ancient Alien's director also made Valiant and I think it's even better tbh.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
If someone has knowledge about Doom mods worth to check please create a thread. I'm interested in learning about those.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that Overload, Ion Maiden and Dusk are pretty giddamned great. I guess I should pick up Amid Evil as well!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I finally got to put my new pc together. It's got steamos installing now to test it out. Seems like a good excuse to buy Overload right?....

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Brutal Doom kind of caused a schism in the community. Some of us are not into that stuff lol

But being popular it aint hard to find.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Winter's Fury is amazing, definitely check that out if you are venturing into Doom WADs.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ancient Aliens

cFbldPnh.png

Foursite

qSvVlbs.png

Winter's Fury

714pB.png

You know, we had a Doom mod/wad thread over on GAF that was full of stuff like this. Did anyone ever make a new thread for it here?