• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 3, 2017
Renaissance implies a revival of something. The early 90s "old school" FPS revolution was about constantly pushing bleeding edge tech and nuturing the community's creativity with great mod support.

Releasing ugly games with outdated technology that aren't moddable is not a revival of what those old school games stood for. It's more a mockery of it IMO.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You wanted games with "flair" so I gave you five examples of indie games with excellent visuals and presentation. Now the games you consume must have "sophisticated AI" as well?! I don't know what to tell you because Hellblade has visuals and audio that rivals any 'triple A' game out there. When it comes to first-person shooters specifically it is a demanding genre and you're not going to get something with the production values and visuals of say Doom from an indie developer. It's just not possible without a major publisher.
Don't waste your time on people like him. It's his loss, not yours.

Dec 3, 2017
Overload in vr is great. It's like the true next step after descent 3.

Yet they didn't include a cooperative mode in it, which the original two Descent games have. I just don't get it. It's like they can't make a sequel or successor to 90s PC games without fucking it up. Same deal with id on the 2016 Doom.

Hi game industry. Coop is one of the memorable things people liked about those games. Why do you keep getting it wrong?

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet they didn't include a cooperative mode in it, which the original two Descent games have. I just don't get it. It's like they can't make a sequel or successor to 90s PC games without fucking it up. Same deal with id on the 2016 Doom.

Hi game industry. Coop is one of the memorable things people liked about those games. Why do you keep getting it wrong?
Hey man got a suggestion: buy the damned game. Limited audience means limited budget means limited features. You want more? Support what's there!

Dec 3, 2017
Hey man got a suggestion: buy the damned game. Limited audience means limited budget means limited features. You want more? Support what's there!

That's actually the opposite of what you want to do. I'm not going to pay more money for a game in 2018 than I paid in 1994 when it has fewer features.

I might e-mail the devs and tell them the lack of coop is why I didn't buy it. Someone has to send the message. FPS games that don't have coop are completely worthless to me. I really don't like playing them solo.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually the opposite of what you want to do. I'm not going to pay more money for a game in 2018 than I paid in 1994 when it has fewer features.

I might e-mail the devs and tell them the lack of coop is why I didn't buy it. Someone has to send the message. FPS games that don't have coop are completely worthless to me. I really don't like playing them solo.
You do you man. Just don't complain when no one tries again for another 20 years.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

This makes absolutely no sense

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Renaissance implies a revival of something. The early 90s "old school" FPS revolution was about constantly pushing bleeding edge tech and nuturing the community's creativity with great mod support.

Releasing ugly games with outdated technology that aren't moddable is not a revival of what those old school games stood for. It's more a mockery of it IMO.

Such idealism. I'm not going to pigeonhole oldschool FPS games into "they were moddable". They play differently than contemporary shooters and the games in the OP adopt the design ethos of those classics. To say their only old school aspect is being "ugly" (I'll even go on record saying Amid Evil is notably not ugly) or using outdated tech (Unity? Unreal 4?) is pretty dismissive of the work that went into them. Regardless of this, Dusk, Overload, and Ion Maiden developers have all gone on record saying they'll have level editors and other modding tools down the line, so saying they're not also working to nurture mod support is just ignorant of the developer's intentions. But we all have our own opinions I suppose. I'll still be playing Duke and Quake, and when I'm done I'll happily make a mockery of them by playing Ion Maiden and Dusk.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Wow, lots of legit stuff. I knew one or two 90s style FPS but didn't know how big this scenario is/will be.

I wonder if someone already made the "Up the ions!" joke in this forum.

I hope he's being sarcastic with the "AAA games"

In any case, i've bought AMID EVIL and DUSK.

AMID EVIL is definitely Hexen-like and is pretty awesome. The soul mechanic is fun.

And DUSK disappointed me a little with the first episode (kinda basic level design), but the second episode was amazing imho. Really looking forward to the third episode.
Amid Evil legit looks baller to me. That artstyle is so messed up but so unique, i fucking love the look. Retroish but with PBR and what not. It is not supposed to work, but it somehow does. AE and Warlock have the most interesting visuals right now, and Gibhard.

Usually low budget games do not have the same flair as AAA games.
What does flair mean in this context? Because, due to AAA engines being available for free, even titles with lower budgets (And we are still talking millions here, so..) look decidely AAA or well, atleast have a certain grade of quality to them. So i am not sure what this is really. It is not like last-gen where low budget games looked visually quite apart from its AAA counterpart. If anything, lower budget games are looking more like their high budget brothers more than anything else because the costs for an engine are significantly more interesting for starting developers.

Please tell me Ion Maiden has level design similar to the games it's aping.

It looks great, but I need good and intricate level design in my FPS.

PS: Scorn looks pretty fucking promising but it's still quite hard to tell how this will play in practice I think.
Ion Maiden does. It is made by Voidpoint, which is compromised of members who are among the best mappers in the community. Some of them are involved in The AMC Team, a standalone Total Conversion of Duke that is like an A-Team meets Rambo kind of thing in a psycho-fantasy world. Really has a boatload of content, and its all FREE!

www.moddb.com/games/the-amc-tc

None of those games are my type of game despite their artistic/audio achievements.
You aren't elaborating why that is, however. You pick a very limited field of view to have regarding games based on what i feel are outdated paradigms on what indie games look like these days. It feels tormenting to willingly put yourself in such a close minded box, but hey, options exist for a reason. I am just saying i would never intentionally limit myself like that for such terrible reasons.

I just don't want to play any game that doesn't have sophisticated AI, decent graphics, and good audio.
  • Sophisticated AI: Well we have not progressed much since FEAR, but really, what is your standard? What kind of AI is acceptable to you?
  • Decent graphics: Most indie games use the exact same engine as their higher budgeted counterparts. Again, what is your standard here?
  • Good audio: How can you judge a game on its audio if you never were to play it?
This is my take on this kind of commentary: You dismiss entire games on the vague pre-tense that their games must not feature decent AI, graphics or audio, without having tried the games in the first place. Do you think that's a fair assessment of the hard work by developers of any game?

I don't want anything with indie-esqur graphics or side scrolling.
What does indie-esqure graphics mean in this context? That games have a more unique look than most AAA games or how should i view this?
Now the bolded is really reaching. You do realize you are in a thread about first-person shooters, right? I can't tell if that side scrolling part is a joke that flies over my head or you mean something totally different when saying that, but i for one would love to hear what you mean by it.

Didn't see any mention of Arthurian Legends, which I'm not even sure how to classify...

04W2rdH.gif

NVv6Q3q.gif
Its made with the 001 Gamemaker Engine and its like a successor to the Witchaven series that never came. Its awesome tho, outside of Ion Maiden pretty much the only retro game out there that actually uses a 2.5D engine to its fullest.

Sorry if there is a better thread to talk a bit about mods for old shooters, this is the best one I know of.

You know, we had a Doom mod/wad thread over on GAF that was full of stuff like this. Did anyone ever make a new thread for it here?
Yep, Raptomex did one, and me and Pasokon Deacon did one for the leftovers. Sadly, they are in Hangouts so they hardly see any visitors. It sucks because there is a lot of effort in those OP's. Perhaps we can pull them back to video games instead of Hangouts? But here they are:
Classic Doom Community Thread
Classic Doom Community Thread: The Leftovers!

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Raptomex did one, and me and Pasokon Deacon did one for the leftovers. Sadly, they are in Hangouts so they hardly see any visitors. It sucks because there is a lot of effort in those OP's. Perhaps we can pull them back to video games instead of Hangouts? But here they are:
Classic Doom Community Thread
Classic Doom Community Thread: The Leftovers!

I'll highlight this for anyone interest, there's a lot of quality in the Doom wad scene (I can mention some good horror wads if anyone's interested).

Log!

Oct 27, 2017

Not to be pedantic, but Dusk and Ion Maiden will have mod support on release.

Also: Jesus Christ, man, did a low-poly truck run over your dog?

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheVoidDragon

Jan 16, 2018
There's some pretty nice looking games here. I quite like the idea of going back to older art styles/engines and making a modern-day game using them, as well as using similar gameplay to the time. It would be interesting to see that happen wither other similar FPS genres, like an immersive sim along the lines of Deus Ex or System Shock 2 would be good - while there are more modern games like them, they don't quite have the same sort of feel as the originals.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
But the Ancient Alien's director also made Valiant and I think it's even better tbh.

Alright I'm a few episodes in to Valiant and though the visuals aren't Ancient Aliens tier, the gameplay is incredible. The encounter design is absolutely sublime. I'm on the Cyberwar secret level and it's easily one of the craziest slaughter maps I've ever played. Man, I hope Skillsaw releases a new megawad in the next couple years.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Ion Maiden features the same level design sensibilities, except it's much more ambitious since the EDuke32 programmers have spent years refining the tools and removing the limitations of the engine so the designers can go hog wild!

This is a snapshot of Hollywood Holocaust loaded in their editor:
capt0006.png

Here's the first level for Ion Maiden:
capt0040.png

Yes...YES...YESSSSSSSS

Buying the shit out of this.

I'll highlight this for anyone interest, there's a lot of quality in the Doom wad scene (I can mention some good horror wads if anyone's interested).
Much obliged Dusk! There is indeed a very hefty amount of top notch wads going on. Personally i found Demonfear a greating starting place: Very vanilla, but still decidely different. And it will leave you surprised for even better mapsets.

Oh, good to know. Thank you!
No thanks! ERA needs to know more about Classix Doom! :)

Yes...YES...YESSSSSSSS

Buying the shit out of this.
Don't forget to check out AMC Team and the Imagination World series made by some of the IM members! They are standalone Build games that provides tons of free content.

Dec 6, 2017
US
On a random note, I really loved Devil Daggers for short ten minute bursts or so, but the game's Hi-Score format was ultimately too much for me. Even when I was getting slightly good at it, it was way too fucking stressful for me haha

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone check out Apocryph?

bought it on good faith but i'm in the middle of Amid Evil and don't want to go in burnt out and being "meh" about it and ending up refunding it to regret it later

but it's not looking good. not even EA but the 'finished game' is promised to be patched in next month which is wtf. either way i'll try to have detailed impressions sooner rather than later

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
bought it on good faith but i'm in the middle of Amid Evil and don't want to go in burnt out and being "meh" about it and ending up refunding it to regret it later

but it's not looking good. not even EA but the 'finished game' is promised to be patched in next month which is wtf. either way i'll try to have detailed impressions sooner rather than later
Amid Evil is so good. I love the look and atmosphere of the stages as much as I enjoy the action

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
New Quake Champions patch is solid. Been a while since I played so I'm rusty but still managing to hold my own.

Had one lag spike in one game but otherwise smooth sailing. People are really liking the Strogg dude.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is on the fence about Ion Maiden, it's really good.

The early access version is just a two stage demo, but the levels are pretty good size, and there are a crap ton of secrets to find in order to 100% a level. Still haven't managed to find all of them.

I'll be putting some good time into the full version for sure.

Edit: Found them all, woo!

If anyone was worried that it wouldn't have game/movie/pop culture reference like Duke 3D did, it does lol

Last edited:

Patch13

Oct 27, 2017
New England
If anyone is on the fence about Ion Maiden, it's really good.

I concur. I haven't had time yet to sit down and seriously sink my teeth into it, but thus far, it gets the little things right. It reminded me that the thing that I really miss in first person shooters is my character's face in the corner of the interface, looking bloodier and more pissed off the more I fuck up. The first shooter to lose that grace note started a sad trend (though Doom Guy punching terminals and fist bumping toys in new Doom is almost as good).

Also, you've got a handgun that roars and the enemy callouts are sufficiently gruff and audio compressed. It's good stuff. Well worth the cash and the wait for more levels and such to drop.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, surprised we don't have STRAFE posted yet! I know it's out but this is vesry worth mentioning

Has anyone played this since the Millenium Edition update, and if so is the game notably improved? I really like the look of it and have been umming and aahing about buying it for months, but I don't really like the way the AI just rushes you, and some of the balancing stuff like vending machines not showing up until the end of the level sounds kind of sloppy.

OP
OP
Sinatar

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played this since the Millenium Edition update, and if so is the game notably improved? I really like the look of it and have been umming and aahing about buying it for months, but I don't really like the way the AI just rushes you, and some of the balancing stuff like vending machines not showing up until the end of the level sounds kind of sloppy.

No the millenium edition is every bit as crap as the original release.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Just wanted to announce I'm also throwing my hat into the ring with an old school FPS called Gunload.
It's got guns, its got explosions, its got guns that cause explosions, and coop, so you can gun explode together!
I made a small teaser trailer to celebrate the Fourth of July.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just wanted to announce I'm also throwing my hat into the ring with an old school FPS called Gunload.
It's got guns, its got explosions, its got guns that cause explosions, and coop, so you can gun explode together!
I made a small teaser trailer to celebrate the Fourth of July.

Looks like fun! Is that the GZDoom engine or similar?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Are any of these AAA games if not then pass.
Gotta love the 7th gen effect. Games aren't worth even looking at unless they're trippul-aye. Shit wasn't like this before Modern Warfare, smh.
This all looks like a pc steam wankfest.
just pointing out that nobody here would refer to a console-specific lineup of games in the same manner, but a handful of PC games in one thread? That's a wankfest

Last edited: