• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gotta love the 7th gen effect. Games aren't worth even looking at unless they're trippul-aye. Shit wasn't like this before Modern Warfare, smh.

just pointing out that nobody here would refer to a console-specific lineup of games in the same manner, but a handful of PC games in one thread? That's a wankfest

This isnt the 90s or early 2000s anymore

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
This isnt the 90s or early 2000s anymore

That's why this thread exists, games designed like this are rare these days so it's interesting they're coming back. It's like going into a dragon quest thread and complaining it's not AAA enough, it's part of the appeal and identity that they're not. You can't make games like this on a AAA budget because it would make them garbage.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I was really disappointed that Ion Maiden got delayed to early next yeari I must have played the demo campaign some 5 times now. Not to mention a good time spent in Queen of the Hill.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I was really disappointed that Ion Maiden got delayed to early next yeari I must have played the demo campaign some 5 times now. Not to mention a good time spent in Queen of the Hill.
Where'd you hear this?

Also, I stumbled upon this and figured I'd share:

Really digging the music & spritework.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Where'd you hear this?
We're announcing a short delay until release of a few months (to Q1 2019) soon, because we didn't quite make it to where we needed to be for it to come out during Q3 of this year. We expect the game to be done in Q4 but will be holding the release until Q1 2019 and using the extra time for polishing, because Q4 is a horrible time to release games if you aren't a big AAA developer.

No hiatus, no dev hell, and the game is certainly not on the back burner. It has just taken longer than we anticipated we would need to get it done.
We're aiming to have a new update for the preview out by the end of this month, though!
https://steamcommunity.com/app/562860/discussions/0/1728701877466395395/#c1728701877468017135

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
c5BpKhR.png

Headed by Revae, REKKR is a vanilla TC for Ultimate Doom that's set in a sort-of-Norse-sort-of-Celtic-sort-of-medieval-fantasy world, where you play as a viking fighting against hordes of demons. Use bows, axes, and magic to fight off the underworld and send them all straight back to Hell.
The big thing about REKKR is that there's an extreme amount of attention to era-authenticity–everything is done is Dehacked, the sound effects were crafted from General Series 6000/Sony Pictures Sound Effects stock libraries, the levels were all constructed to fit within vanilla limits, and more.

http://manbitesshark.com/

Nov 2, 2017
I hated those old FPS games so this thread ain't for me. But I needed to do a quick driveby to note that Ion Maiden is a brilliant, brilliant name. I'd almost throw money at that for the title alone, regardless of genre.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been spending a lot of time playing actual old FPSs I hadn't played before and started to notice more and more how far modern FPSs had strayed from them. The main thing I miss is the focus on exploration, and the only modern AAA "old-style" FPS that really tries to do this is Doom 2016. Actually all of Bethesda's first person games of recent have had that focus on exploration. In particular I've been messing with Doom WADs. The most recent ones I started were Doom 64 Retribution, that new Doom 64 remix WAD, and Struggle: Antaresian Legacy which came out earlier this year and was apparently in development for like five years.

When I look at all these indie ones, I get that level design is probably the hardest part of these games to do, but it is kinda the one thing I miss the most. Many are procedurally generated, or mainly focus on the arena-style combat, and a lot of them oddly feel more like Wolfenstein 3D. There are actually A LOT of Wolf 3D clones on Steam that are just flat levels in first person. I think partially what happened is a lot of the talent that would've gone into these games is going into Doom WADs.

After I finish with all these old games I'll remember to check out Amid Evil, Ion Maiden, and Dusk when they're out of Early Access.

One other thing: Does anyone else prefer to play these games with low-fi 3D graphics in low-res? When I play Quake and Doom now I play them with the modern source ports but configured with old school settings. I started using the recent resolution scale command for Quakespasm and play GZDoom set to 200p, and obviously I turn off the texture filtering. I like how some of these indie games have this option -- I believe Dusk and Devil Daggers do, but I wish more did, like Ion Maiden (does it?). The art assets were originally made for those low resolutions and I personally don't gain anything from looking at them in crisp 1080p.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I always disable texture filtering and as many IQ options as I can without ruining my eyes. The sharp, gritty look fits old FPSes best, even at 1080p+ resolutions. Playing Doom at 320x200 is fun too.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, the people ruining this lovely thread a few months back have been banned.

I don't have much to add at the moment besides
Ion Maiden is pretty great.
and
I don't know how I missed Amid Evil but I think I'm going to buy it today.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
I did! Aside from the hideous and virtually unreadable font, it looks great. Love those unfiltered textures.

Still getting a handle on the weapons but they feel appropriately Hexen-like.

Glad to hear!
Yeah, I definitely viewed it as more of a Hexen/Heretic affair, but once you get going it feels much closer to something like Quake. Plus they've just added a new episode to it!

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
People are gonna need to tell me how Project Warlock is.

I read an article about the guy who made it -- he's actually only 19, he was born in 1998, but his dad introduced him to 2.5D shooters like Doom, Heretic, Blood, etc. Apparently level design is supposed to be a big component, and that's what I'm most curious about. Earlier I said the screenshots and videos made it look similar to a lot of other indie FPSs of recent that honestly look closer to Wolf 3D due to their flatness.

OP
OP
Sinatar

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
People are gonna need to tell me how Project Warlock is.

I read an article about the guy who made it -- he's actually only 19, he was born in 1998, but his dad introduced him to 2.5D shooters like Doom, Heretic, Blood, etc. Apparently level design is supposed to be a big component, and that's what I'm most curious about. Earlier I said the screenshots and videos made it look similar to a lot of other indie FPSs of recent that honestly look closer to Wolf 3D due to their flatness.

Crosspost from the Project Warlock Thread:

Pros:
+ Nice look and aesthetic both to the environments and enemies. Ran smoothly for me throughout.
+ Nice enemy variety, each act has it's own unique enemy set and within the act new enemies show up gradually throughout.
+ The guns feel *great*, the dual uzis especially feel great to unload with.
+ The last act is fantastic, definitely the high point of the game. If only the whole game were paced like that.

Cons:
- It's too god damned dark. I spent the whole damn game holding down my right mouse button to use the light spell so I could see what I was doing. I get that the dude was proud of his lighting system, but he went way overboard here.
- The in game map is worthless. You can't see doors, it shows areas you haven't been so you can't figure out where to explore, it's just a big grey blob of nothing. You also can't full screen the map, you're stuck with the minimap in the corner.
- The end boss was really underwhelming. The concept and look of it were neat but it died so fast that I couldn't tell what it was supposed to be doing.

Highly subjective nit pick:
: The soundtrack for me was a big miss. Most of it felt like random amiga tracks from the demoscene days and didn't fit the action at all. They threw in some metal in the last act which was appreciated, but it wasn't particularly good metal so... yea.

All in all I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely not on par with Overload, Dusk or Amid Evil (we haven't seen enough of Ion Maiden to judge that one yet) but if you already have those 3 games and want more retro shooter goodness then this is worth a get.

Oct 27, 2017
Project Warlock just isn't connecting with me. I don't want to be too negative, cause I don't want to be down on a young person who's trying their hand at indie development. Props to him for giving a go at it, but I feel like it misses the mark as far as feeling like a 90s shooter.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping to remind everyone that Amid Evil officially released this past Thursday. Currently on sale on steam and gog for 20% off. ($16)

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Other notable titles worth checking out...

- Project Warlock
- Maximum Action
- Elderborn (melee based)
- Revulsion
- Compound
- Gun Godz
- Hermodr

So much goodness.

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a modern day 1st person shooter that plays like the original Doom on PC? I'm not a fan of Bethesda's Doom, so that's a no go.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I want to pick up Ion Maiden if its part of the steam sale, but the combo of the game being in early access and the lawsuit stuff going on makes me afraid to do so.