• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 16, 2018
someone should roll out a subscription service for old school multiplayer fps

pay like $50/year. then each month you only get to play 1 or 2 games (while the rest of the servers are off)

it's really hard for non-quake games to sustain enough concurrent users for any sort of year-round multiplayer experience, but if the different devs/communities could cooperate they might be able to get something going

or just have some giant usergroup for it and just vote on which game to play every 2 weeks. the tricky bit would be getting people to purchase the new games instead of just playing the same old stuff over and over

either way, we need a lot more organization for these types of games because things go to shit after more than 50-75ms of latency

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of ROTT, is there a way to mod the death sounds for the enemies? I was watching a couple of videos of the game and the death sounds were annoying as hell. I have the game but need to get a better computer to play it the way it is meant to be played.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
The Overload kickstarter demo was so fun and it was fairly barebones. They nailed the feel of it. I'm going to have to get my joystick set up for the full release.

Amid Evil seems nice but I'll hold off while it's still early access. Some of the footage seems a little too phrantic just for the sake of it with tons of flashing lights and effects that make it hard to see.

The dream of an arena shooter resurgence is long gone, consumers just don't want that anymore. The best hope imo is the scattered playerbase kind of unifying around one product so there is a decent size player pool to deal with. Even though I have a lot of problems with it I've come to realize Quake Champions is the best chance at that since it has the Quake name attached and a decent budget/marketing. If they add more player friendly modes like clan arena and freeze tag I could see it building up a decent size playerbase like Quake Live had for a good amount of years.
I think it can work if presented right. Like, what if an arena shooter resembled a fighting game more than anything else, with a high end polished presentation like that of Street Fighter or Smash Bros or something, only showing it's an FPS in the actual matches, not like Quake 3's single player which felt like a lazy tacked on botmatch thing nobody cared for. Have a specialized duel mode and rankings and what not very prominent, as well as arcade/story mode ladders to go through, but of course also including the classic and/or new team modes as well as bot skirmishes to practice with and very clear but simple instructions of not just the objectives of each match but also the basic flow you should strive for in a match, controlling areas, how to react to getting attacked and how to ideally try to attack others etc.

I was never much of a multiplayer arena shooter fan due to a lack of aiming skill (yet enjoyed proper single player modes like Quake's, but not 3's) yet I actually spent a lot of time playing UT2004's duel mode once I discovered it, first with bots and eventually other players and had a lot of fun trying to get better without being constantly instantly killed by people I never even saw coming and never having the chance to even learn a map. I also enjoyed the assault mode and having essentially a walk through of each level in its intro helped a great deal. All that made me dabble in the other modes as well without necessarily getting instantly destroyed.

Of course I still sucked but I could have some fun. I tried some other games but the people who play them are usually so damn skilled that it is just not fun for me. Like, if I jump in a Warsow match I don't even have time to learn how to play if any other players are in since only veterans seem to play, heh.

TF2 kind of plays like an arena FPS sans the deathmatch modes and does some of these things (like the walkthrough intros) well enough and is obviously hugely popular so, I dunno. Other popular FPS have also taken arena FPS elements lately rather than ape the COD era iron sight modes or slower paced play too but I wouldn't liken them to actual arena FPS too much (like Overwatch).

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I think it can work if presented right. Like, what if an arena shooter resembled a fighting game more than anything else, with a high end polished presentation like that of Street Fighter or Smash Bros or something, only showing it's an FPS in the actual matches, not like Quake 3's single player which felt like a lazy tacked on botmatch thing nobody cared for. Have a specialized duel mode and rankings and what not very prominent, as well as arcade/story mode ladders to go through, but of course also including the classic and/or new team modes as well as bot skirmishes to practice with and very clear but simple instructions of not just the objectives of each match but also the basic flow you should strive for in a match, controlling areas, how to react to getting attacked and how to ideally try to attack others etc.

I was never much of a multiplayer arena shooter fan due to a lack of aiming skill (yet enjoyed proper single player modes like Quake's, but not 3's) yet I actually spent a lot of time playing UT2004's duel mode once I discovered it, first with bots and eventually other players and had a lot of fun trying to get better without being constantly instantly killed by people I never even saw coming and never having the chance to even learn a map. I also enjoyed the assault mode and having essentially a walk through of each level in its intro helped a great deal. All that made me dabble in the other modes as well without necessarily getting instantly destroyed.

Of course I still sucked but I could have some fun. I tried some other games but the people who play them are usually so damn skilled that it is just not fun for me. Like, if I jump in a Warsow match I don't even have time to learn how to play if any other players are in since only veterans seem to play, heh.

TF2 kind of plays like an arena FPS sans the deathmatch modes and does some of these things (like the walkthrough intros) well enough and is obviously hugely popular so, I dunno. Other popular FPS have also taken arena FPS elements lately rather than ape the COD era iron sight modes or slower paced play too but I wouldn't liken them to actual arena FPS too much (like Overwatch).

I think no matter how you present it a focus on duel is going to turn a lot of people off.. like even with all those things that fighting games have done they still have a high barrier to entry because people hate being bodied over and over during the learning process. It's a sad thing but every old school genre has had to change itself significantly to survive with modern audiences, like RTS going more team based and turning into MOBAs. Quake Champions only hope at this point is to bite the bullet and put in some casual team based game modes like clan arena and freeze tag to get the numbers, and then just hope those people venture off into traditional deathmatch at some point.

Like I get why they were hesitant to put in clan arena to begin with even though it was the biggest Quake Live mode by far, because it'll vacuum up all the players and no one will play anything else. But at this point something has to be done just to get raw numbers and keep the product alive.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Am just here to appreciate Shadow Warrior 2! It sure is not an old-school FPS in the typical sense - it has all the flashy loot and upgrade systems - but its movement and melee attacks feel frenetic and exciting.
I also love the open level design with all its verticality and some legitimately stunning texture work!

And at its core, I believe it does enemy encounters a lot better than DOOM 2016.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
Am just here to appreciate Shadow Warrior 2! It sure is not an old-school FPS in the typical sense - it has all the flashy loot and upgrade systems - but its movement and melee attacks feel frenetic and exciting.
I also love the open level design with all its verticality and some legitimately stunning texture work!

And at its core, I believe it does enemy encounters a lot better than DOOM 2016.
SW2 is definitely one of the most underrated FPS in recent years. I'll agree to disagree with you about Doom, though.
Well I won't disagree. Not until full 3D games did anything actually look remotely 'right'. I do think sprite enemies and such are only relevant for nostalgia.
Arguable. I find that sprites age better than 3D. I think that many early 3D games age poorly. For example, I think in terms of raw graphics, Quake is really an eye sore. I would say its gameplay, unique aesthetic, and style keep it going. That and mods. The original Doom games on the other hand still look fantastic. To each their own, of course.

deft

Oct 27, 2017
This last Quake Champions patch is actually pretty good. Feels like the game's getting there bit by bit

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Overload looks great, jeez. Definitely gonna check it out.
To be honest, most of these games kinda put me off with their old-school graphics, on the other hand playing them in 120+ Hz should make 'em feel pretty amazing.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
oh, all those indie titles

pretty much speaks for how "if industry doesnt make games like this anymore, we team up and make our own"

DOOM 2016 is fuckin perfect. Shadow Warrior 2013 was pretty great too but had more of a Serious Sam vibe to it. especially SW2 with the hub worlds and co-op and looty shooty etc

DOOM '16 is also kind of close to Painkiller and KISS in game design, so, to late 90s-early 00s fps games.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): System Wars with a previous warning
This all looks like a pc steam wankfest. Any of these games on console? I do like the look of them and still getting legs from doom 2016.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This last Quake Champions patch is actually pretty good. Feels like the game's getting there bit by bit

Now I wanna reinstall. The bad thing about Quake Champions for me was the small playerbase. Its like a few hundred people playing that game lol. I even ran into Fatal1ty in a random game (and killed him with the gauntlet)

This all looks like a pc steam wankfest. Any of these games on console? I do like the look of them and still getting legs from doom 2016.

Its a wankfest cuz PC is the natural habitat of old school shooters, just like playstation is the natural habitat of JRPGs. Sometimes you gotta get another platform to play certain games. A lot of these oldschool style titles in the OP will run on old hardware so its not like you need a $1000 gaming pc haha

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
I hope he's being sarcastic with the "AAA games"

In any case, i've bought AMID EVIL and DUSK.

AMID EVIL is definitely Hexen-like and is pretty awesome. The soul mechanic is fun.

And DUSK disappointed me a little with the first episode (kinda basic level design), but the second episode was amazing imho. Really looking forward to the third episode.

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Usually low budget games do not have the same flair as AAA games. It's like watching an indie movie vs a high production movie with HDR Atmos etc.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Are any of these AAA games if not then pass.

Talk about being brainwashed.

8p9V4T.gif

Oct 25, 2017
This is my jam. Apocryph looks like what I wanted Amid Evil to be like.

I hope he's being sarcastic with the "AAA games"

In any case, i've bought AMID EVIL and DUSK.

AMID EVIL is definitely Hexen-like and is pretty awesome. The soul mechanic is fun.

And DUSK disappointed me a little with the first episode (kinda basic level design), but the second episode was amazing imho. Really looking forward to the third episode.
I've seen Amid Evil often be described as Heretic/Hexen-like, but I can't understand why. Except for some of the weapons, it doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere at all...

EDIT: Actually the .gif in op seems to contain a lot of samey environments. Might be I've just seen the wrong parts.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Please tell me Ion Maiden has level design similar to the games it's aping.

It looks great, but I need good and intricate level design in my FPS.

PS: Scorn looks pretty fucking promising but it's still quite hard to tell how this will play in practice I think.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe it's been 2 years since biting my nails waiting for Overload to meet it's Kickstarter lol.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC is the market for these games, always has been. I'd like to see more of them release on consoles, but it's not surprising to see them start on PC.
Obviously not, AAA studios don't make games like this anymore...hence the need for indies to fill the void. Are you actually interested in this genre?

Oct 27, 2017

No; you won't find games like this from AAA publishers any more with the only exception being Bethesda.

Usually low budget games do not have the same flair as AAA games. It's like watching an indie movie vs a high production movie with HDR Atmos etc.

And then sometimes you get a game like Guacamelee or Steamworld or Ethan Carter or The Witness or Hellblade which are all gorgeous and have excellent production values. Judging a game based on its development budget is incredibly moronic.

Wow. I've never heard of any of these games.

Are they for console?

They'll be for PC first and then maybe follow to consoles after if they're successful enough.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Casual fraud

Probably started gaming late gen PS2-early PS3

Lmao been gaming since wolfenstein 3D. Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time.

No; you won't find games like this from AAA publishers any more with the only exception being Bethesda.

And then sometimes you get a game like Guacamelee or Steamworld or Ethan Carter or The Witness or Hellblade which are all gorgeous and have excellent production values. Judging a game based on its development budget is incredibly moronic.

None of those games are my type of game despite their artistic/audio achievements. I just don't want to play any game that doesn't have sophisticated AI, decent graphics, and good audio. I don't want anything with indie-esqur graphics or side scrolling.

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017

I'm not sure I agree with the DOOM comparison but SW2 was great nonetheless. Huge variety of weapons and enemies and a fantastic amount of speed and mobility. Pretty much everything I liked about old-school shooters. Some people complain that the level design in games like DOOM 2016 and SW isn't old-school enough but I don't. I was never a big fan of hunting for keys/keycards.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Instantly got Descent vibes from that .gif before reading what it was. I definitely wouldn't mind more Descent and a Duke Nukem-like. A lot of these .gifs are bringing back memories from those good ol' days.