• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While you're perfectly entitled to not enjoy a film, dare I ask what it actually is that you found lacking about the film that left you dissatisfied?
Hmmmm, I find Caroll Denvers very weakly acted and overall a boring character, the film does not have good setpieces or choreography, and it was carried mostly by Samuel Jackson.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I think op is way over invested in this series and its starting to feel like an unhealthy obsession defending it from all criticism. Even if those videos didn't exist the movie (TLJ, I like Capt Marvel) is still very flawed and deserves criticism and I would hope you can understand that.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think op is way over invested in this series and its starting to feel like an unhealthy obsession defending it from all criticism. Even if those videos didn't exist the movie (TLJ, I like Capt Marvel) is still very flawed and deserves criticism and I would hope you can understand that.
Couldn't read past the opening sentence, eh?

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
So what you're saying is that Kelly Marie Tran deserves to be called a "dumb bitch" and "dumb Asian," which happens in one of the TLJ "criticism" videos that gets shared here frequently?

That's what I'm hearing.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Wow, you guys just straight up putting words in my mouth.

You're making arguments that aren't relevant to the discussion. People are not saying TLJ is above criticism. People are saying the way that TLJ is discussed here tends to be toxic and one of the reasons is that people are using these videos (without actually examining their content?) as a stand in for actually stating an opinion.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Wow, you guys just straight up putting words in my mouth.

Not surprised. Disingenuous posts are all the rage.

So what you're saying is that Kelly Marie Tran deserves to be called a "dumb bitch" and "dumb Asian," which happens in one of the TLJ "criticism" videos that gets shared here frequently?

That's what I'm hearing.

*eyeroll*

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I think OP's point is that this forum should stop, as a practice, sourcing the criticism of these films out from the post-gamergate youtube content farms that push actively harmful ideas about sex and race in culture.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
I don't live on YouTube so I don't know or care about some shit some Youtubers may be into, unless it's an obvious shit heel who's always nagging about SJWs like The Quartering (or that other guy always pissing moaning about similar shit, I forget his name).

I shouldn't have to be terrified to post some random link cuz I think someone makes some good points. Not gonna vet every random Youtuber I link to. I hardly give a shit about any Youtuber's opinions anyway so it doesn't happen often.

Even shitheads can make SOME good points, things don't have to be so black and white. That Quartering guy seems like a dickhead and I don't like him or the constant whining he's always doing, but that doesn't mean he is incapable of bringing up some good points. Having said that, I wouldn't feel like linking to his videos cuz he comes off like a dickhead and I'm sure he's banned here anyhow. However if he brings up a good point or two amongst his sea of shit, I'm not about to claim he's incapable of making a good point or two.

Ok but knowing he's a piece of shit in the end, knowing fully so, maybe it would be best to not signal boosting pieces of shit like him? I dunno? Yes a broken clock is right twice a day. Still wouldn't bring it with me anywhere cause it's still a broken piece of shit.

In the end, even though he can make some good arguments here and there, for all the mysogenism and racist shit he says, it doesn't deserve anyone's watch "cause he's right about this though"...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Its really annoying. As a sufferer of "jesus christ those new star wars movies fucking SUCKED (besides rogue one)* syndrome, yeah... 99% of those videos online are about SJW/Women hating nonsense.

I love laura dern. I love women. Diversity in film is a good thing. 0% of my complaints with th... hold on i need a drink to steady my nerves.....ok. yeah. None of my critisisms fall into hating women/diversity/sjws.. its fucking bizarre. There is a large body of critical media that has the white supremacist/gamergate/anti-woman edge.

I thought era would be my safe space to hate those movies as god intended. But you're right.

::vomits thinking about the new movies::

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Let me strawman and put words in your mouth".

Two can play that game. Posting shit like this is one of the most annoying things I see here. And it happens ALL the time.

We as a community need to be better about avoiding disingenuous callout posts.

But meanwhile you are allowed to post whoever you want because you agree with one point therefore it's perfectly fine to post sexist/racist content?

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Hey guys, y'all should take a look at that New Zealand boomer thread

Stop acting like us millennials are more enlightened. We are the same generation that says we should deny gravity because it was discovered by a white man (Newton) and that "white science" took away the ability of Ancient Africans to shoot lightning bolts out of there hands. Our generation is the biggest promoter of cultural and postmodern relativism bs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9SiRNibD14

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
You're right OP. I'm going to start calling out and reporting posts that support/ signal boost shitty oppressive beliefs.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
maybe it would be best to not signal boosting pieces of shit like him?

I said I wouldn't/don't. I think him and any other Youtubers constantly whining about SJWs need to shut the fuck up cuz that shit gets old fast.

But meanwhile you are allowed to post whoever you want because you agree with one point therefore it's perfectly fine to post sexist/racist content?

If I'm unaware of who this person is or that they share such beliefs? Yes.

Like I said, I don't live on YouTube, I dunno what every Youtuber believes.

Not sure what this thread is asking for aside from the obvious. If you know someone is a shithead, don't link their shit. But I don't know every shithead on YouTube.

No one does.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I said I wouldn't/don't. I think him and any other Youtubers constantly whining about SJWs need to shut the fuck up cuz that shit gets old fast.

Not sure what this thread is asking for aside from the obvious. If you know someone is a shithead, don't link their shit. But I don't know every shithead on YouTube.
We're asking that you do the bare minimum of at least watching the video or checking out other videos from the channel before sharing.

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Using terms like "SJW" and shit like that doesn't define alt-right. That kind of conflation is what makes people outside of this bubble look and laugh at the community.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If you are unwilling to finish watching the entire video before posting it, then yes I'm going to blast you for doing so.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
We're asking that you do the bare minimum of at least watching the video or checking out other videos from the channel before sharing.

If you are unwilling to finish watching the entire video before posting it, then yes I'm going to blast you for doing so.

Why would I link a video I haven't watched? If I watch a video and there's nothing wrong with it how am I gonna know about some racist shit they might have posted 5 years ago?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Ok but knowing he's a piece of shit in the end, knowing fully so, maybe it would be best to not signal boosting pieces of shit like him? I dunno? Yes a broken clock is right twice a day. Still wouldn't bring it with me anywhere cause it's still a broken piece of shit.

In the end, even though he can make some good arguments here and there, for all the mysogenism and racist shit he says, it doesn't deserve anyone's watch "cause he's right about this though"...

So I take it the solution would be to:
1) Find another YT video that makes the same points and isn't produced from someone with a history of being racist/sexist/etc.
2) Write up a summary of the points you agree with, but without attribution

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP's point is that this forum should stop, as a practice, sourcing the criticism of these films out from the post-gamergate youtube content farms that push actively harmful ideas about sex and race in culture.
Exactly. One can dislike a piece of media and at the same time make sure to avoid sharing harmful content just because they agree with them on a particular piece of media.

It's not hard and does not take a lot of effort to pause and not watch/not share a video if someone in the video is starting to whine about social justice politics/feminism/forced diversity.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
So I take it the solution would be to:
1) Find another YT video that makes the same points and isn't produced from someone with a history of being racist/sexist/etc.
2) Write up a summary of the points you agree with, but without attribution

Sounds like it. In the case of TLJ, good luck finding a good alternative on point 1 though LOL

Seems like everyone doing a video arguing against TLJ is a real piece of shit one way or another.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Using terms like "SJW" and shit like that doesn't define alt-right. That kind of conflation is what makes people outside of this bubble look and laugh at the community.

I don't give a shit about whether some random people think we're funny or not. The people who are using "SJW" unironically may not be "alt-right" but they're definitely trying to provide a sanitized version of the same beliefs and shouldn't be tolerated. They're not arguing in good faith.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no acceptable way to throw that term "SJW" around. It is used entirely to belittle and complain about those who push for inclusiveness and diversity.

What is this way of calling someone a SJW that isn't alt-right/sexist that you are trying to defend here?

I am curious what way of calling someone an SJW is that you find acceptable.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
The majority of people that share these videos don't do that and that's what this whole thread is about.

Not to defend them, but you just can't expect everyone to do detective's work on any source they're about to link. I'd say the most appropriate thing would be to at least watch the video you are about to post to make sure you aren't posting racist / mysogenistic shit. Be enlightened of anyone's past behavior after by your fellow forum camarades, if needed.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
People who are laughing at us for saying "SJW" is a term of the alt-right aren't worth considering because they're treating basic human dignity like a punchline.
And the real funny thing is, treating human dignity like a punchline is the main organizing principle of the alt-right

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Should take a look at the RedLetterMedia thread in the OT community section every time they have a racist or sexist take on something. People don't like when a thing they like is called out as being problematic when highlighting racist, sexist and transphobic ideas in all forms of media is a fundamental staple of online discourse and how society learns and gets better.

Learning that the people you watch have flaws is a fundamental part of this process. The antics of channels like RedLetterMedia led me to stop watching them.

It's okay to acknowledge that content creators that you like are either a product of ignorance, a product of their time or do not reflect well in 2019. I love the Cthulhu mythos and everything that it has spawned, but I'm not going to bat for one second for HP Lovecraft because of how problematic he was. Modern creators have taken that mythos and also reflected the racism it was born out of, which makes me happy!

Every time I see a post along the lines of "Brie Larson is a bad actress" there is almost always some underpinning of sexism (or racism in other cases), and it has become so transparent that the only people being fooled are the people making those posts, who deny their own sexist views

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend them, but you just can't expect everyone to do detective's work on any source they're about to link. I'd say the most appropriate thing would be to at least watch the video you are about to post to make sure you aren't posting racist / mysogenistic shit. Be enlightened of anyone's past behavior after by your fellow forum camarades, if needed.
No one is asking for detective work. Simply *watching* the videos being shared is 99.9% of the time enough to know you should not share it. As the videos being shared here that spurred my request almost entirely contain sexist complaining within the video themselves and require no further research.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Using terms like "SJW" and shit like that doesn't define alt-right.
hqdefault.jpg

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I just looked it up. Apparently it's slang for someone who's one-eighth black?

Jesus, we just keep finding new ways to divide ourselves.
it's not slang. When race divisions were legal this was the term for 1/8 black. 1/4 black was quadroon, 1/2 was mulatto and 1/16 was mamelouk. for a while these terms carried or granted different rights according to which one you were in such as who could marry who.