• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you like your puddles?

• The entire game should take place inside a huge puddle

• As big as Insomniac's artists want them to be

• As deep as my knowledge of game development

• I prefer oceans tbh

• Don't go chasing Waterfalls

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
honestly, this is nothing compared to the sleeping dogs downgrade

e3 2012:
budy48b.jpg

final build:
vFwicOr.jpg
I can't tell if this is clever satire or an actual serious complaint

Oct 25, 2017
Stupidest game controversy I've ever seen.

Outraged Puddle Aficionado Gamer "One of the prettiest games ever made might have a technical difference from a demo!"

Everyone Else "Is it still one of the prettiest games ever made?"

Outraged Puddle Aficionado Gamer "Well... yes..."

Literally Everyone Else "..."

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Reminds me of the grass gate from GTAV back then and people were really shitting on Xbox for it and whatnot, now the opposite happened lmao.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Stupidest game controversy I've ever seen.

Outraged Puddle Aficionado Gamer "One of the prettiest games ever made might have a technical difference from a demo!"

Everyone Else "Is it still one of the prettiest games ever made?"

Outraged Puddle Aficionado Gamer "Well... yes..."

Literally Everyone Else "..."

This is indeed a stupid controversy, but not gonna lie, it's way more preferable and entertaining than say, the shitfest about Battlefield having a female soldier.

Reminds me of the golden days at the other place

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, let's try this again. Had to fix a link.

It was never really about puddles for me, and I don't really care since the gameplay still looks great and I've seen worse downgrades in the past (Dark Souls 2 for example), but people saying it didn't happen here are in denial.

Here's a different scene. 2016 vs 2018.

wOQWRpP.gif

Full res:

https://gfycat.com/FairWeeklyDodo
They literally changed the whole art style of the game from the initial reveal which was more realistic, to the current art style, which was more colorful and cartoon-y.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Grassgate was embarrassing, but I wouldn't really use that as an example of what's happening with Spider-Man.

It was, but I see it as how people were so eager to keep grass gate relevant back then but suddenly this Spider-Man one is being brought under the rug so quickly. Stupid? Definitely. Still, the game will be good, just less nice looking apparently.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It was, but I see it as how people were so eager to keep grass gate relevant back then but suddenly this Spider-Man one is being brought under the rug so quickly. Stupid? Definitely. Still, the game will be good, just less nice looking apparently.
We have expert(darkx) saying puddles are stupid as the game looks great and many other scenes are full of puddles . So no it's not less nice looking but I know what u always try to do :)

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Was grassgate relevant or just petty discourse? Are you part of the group who thinks Spider-Man has been downgraded.

Swept under the rug?

Obviously, but that won't stop it.

True.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure you can point out specific people doing this and not a so called "hive mind" right? One wouldn't want to accuse someone of a lazy argument without determining their intent.

(I guess I'll continue to just post this until the people quoting that post respond with detail. Because I'm not seeing it)

OP shot but from the gameplay i've seen the lightning hasn't gotten any better. Lightning can make or break a image. Why do you think there are hundreds upon hundreds of lightning mods for games.? The original lightning is phenomenal

Lightning can make or break a person too :)

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OP shot but from the gameplay i've seen the lightning hasn't gotten any better. Lightning can make or break a image. Why do you think there are hundreds upon hundreds of lightning mods for games.? The original lightning is phenomenal
Well I think the lighting looks just fine, hopefully when you play it it doesn't bother you too much.

Oct 25, 2017
This is indeed a stupid controversy, but not gonna lie, it's way more preferable and entertaining than say, the shitfest about Battlefield having a female soldier.

Definitely preferable to the misogyny and racism of prior "controversies". Those moments made me hate people.

But there's a reason this one is so insanely easy to make fun of. Carnival of stupid stupid.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Where was the media defense force when grassgate,resolution gate and 900p quantum break were all things? I guess they get to pick and choose what they turn into clickbait stories and what gets defended till they're all reeeeeeed in the face.

The answer you want:

"The games media is inherently biased towards Sony! Someone do something!!!"

The actual answer:

"It's not apparent that there actually has been a downgrade for Spider-Man 2018. Trying to use a missing puddle as evidence of such a downgrade is ridiculous."

Also "reeeee"? Really? People still say this in 2018?

Ah, more of the same. Don't beat around the bush, say what you actually mean: "No one would defend this downgrade if it wasn't Sony."

Last edited:

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want me to point out every user on reset era that has contributed to a jumping-the-gun "downgrade!" thread or posting?

giphy.gif

The original post was accusing people in this thread of hypocrisy/inconsistency. So yeah I'd like to know how they know that since they didn't even bother quoting or responding to a person directly. Like I said the argument you agreed with is lazy at best.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well

Is what I was focusing on but I can bet without looking that people in here were being hypocrites lmao

Do you see my point at the very least even if you might not agree with it? I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes...

I think it's lame on a forum to just be like "yeah I bet you didn't say that about Assassin's Creed Unity!" Why not evaluate what people are saying? Because sticking with your opinion is admirable in some circumstances, but on Tuesday it'll be pretty clear what the reality is. And then, it won't be admirable, it'll be childish.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
To summarise then.

• We had jstevenson come and clarify there is no downgrade, but we still got the idiot posts.
  • We got Dark1x confirm a no downgrade.
  • We got jschreier confirming how ridiculous this was.
  • We got SkillUp basically mirroring this.

Am I missing anyone else? Things seem to be calming down now though, as reality sinks in.

giphy.gif

Digital Foundry's video + thread is going to be amazing!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox version of GTAV had slightly less grass than the Sony version.
Was it confined to a specific location, or all around? I assume it's not in general, since people are bringing it up in comparison to this "downgrade" confined to a specific scene or two. Although that still wouldn't be a fair comparison, since GTA5 is a comparison of two retail versions, whereas this is a comparison of a pre-release version to a retail version.

benny

Oct 26, 2017
...The thread was literally started with two posts from Insomniac saying they didn't downgrade anything. Did you feel they're untrustworthy?
No, I don't think they are untrustworthy or have bad arguments. But I'm also relatively agnostic on this topic with a slight bias to not believing in purposefully selected comparisons with low quality source images that are designed to create outrage. But I can understand if someone would be skeptical of their response as there is a clear conflict of interest. If Dark10x speaks on this topic this is more readily acceptable.

Addressing the common points that are brought up or including higher resolution images would've benefited this thread much earlier. Keeping track of the various allegations and the response, if they exist, would make for a more comprehensive first post.

Aug 17, 2018
Was it confined to a specific location, or all around? I assume it's not in general, since people are bringing it up in comparison to this "downgrade" confined to a specific scene or two. Although that still wouldn't be a fair comparison, since GTA5 is a comparison of two retail versions, whereas this is a comparison of a pre-release version to a retail version.
Going by that GTA point, the Xbox version wasn't downgraded, but simply had shitty weather and the grass didn't have time to grow yet. /S

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
To summarise then.

• We had jstevenson come and clarify there is no downgrade, but we still got the idiot posts.
  • We got Dark1x confirm a no downgrade.
  • We got jschreier confirming how ridiculous this was.
  • We got SkillUp basically mirroring this.

Am I missing anyone else? Things seem to be calming down now though, as reality sinks in.

giphy.gif

Digital Foundry's video + thread is going to be amazing!

We also have proof of a visual upgrade in the gold build.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Do you see my point at the very least even if you might not agree with it? I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes...

I think it's lame on a forum to just be like "yeah I bet you didn't say that about Assassin's Creed Unity!" Why not evaluate what people are saying? Because sticking with your opinion is admirable in some circumstances, but on Tuesday it'll be pretty clear what the reality is. And then, it won't be admirable, it'll be childish.
youre not going crazy. you just are trying to not be sortve pessimistic, and i admire it. im just saying in my experience on here, it's probably not exaggeration that posters in here have been making a huge fuss about this, in this very thread. there wouldnt be 77 pages otherwise. i was agreeing with the second part of the quoted post, but i included the first for context and because it more than likely has merit

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am glad the video game industry as a whole is treating this "controversy" and the people that continue to propagate it with exactly the right amount of respect they deserve.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I agree with this. This thread is in the running for thread of the year.

The Xbox version of GTAV had slightly less grass than the Sony version.

Yup. This isn't even really the same thing. It's not like the patches of grass popped up elsewhere. Stuff got added to Spider Man.

That's part of what makes this so hilarious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.