• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this on Press Start Australia.
The board announced through their website this afternoon that it was a three-member panel that "unanimously determined" We Happy Few would receive an R18+ rating, reversing the original ruling that would have seen the game banned from sale here.

The press release:

The National Classification Code and Classification Guidelines requires the treatment of drug use to not exceed high at the R 18+ level. In the Classification Review Board's opinion We Happy Few warrants an R 18+ classification because the interactive drug use is high in impact. The overall impact of the classifiable elements in the computer game was no greater than high.

Computer games classified R 18+ are legally restricted to adults. Persons aged under 18 years cannot purchase computer games classified R 18+. Some material classified R 18+ may be offensive to sections of the adult community. Consumer advice is additional information about the main content of a computer game which is intended to help consumers decide if they want to view this type of material.

The Review Board convened today in response to an application from the original applicant, Gearbox Publishing, LLC, to review the decision made by the Classification Board on 21 May 2018 to classify We Happy Few Refused Classification.

In reviewing the classification, the Review Board worked within the framework of the National Classification Scheme, applying the provisions of the Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) Act 1995, the National Classification Code and the Guidelines for the Classification of Computer Games. This is the same framework used by the Classification Board.

The Review Board is an independent merits review body. It makes a fresh classification decision upon receipt of an application for review. This Review Board decision takes the place of the original decision made by the Classification Board.

The Review Board's reasons for this decision will appear on the Classification website when finalised.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, this rating seems about right for the game. GTAV got R18+ for drug use, so that sounds about right.

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
Came into this thread wondering what the hell happened to the game to merit such a high rating.

I take it Australia treats potential drug glorification very seriously?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a whole lot about We Happy Few, but it seems most of the game is about how the drug Joy led to their society falling apart and people being "happy" while starving and being oppressed. But the classification board latched on to them also giving a buff?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know a whole lot about We Happy Few, but it seems most of the game is about how the drug Joy led to their society falling apart and people being "happy" while starving and being oppressed. But the classification board latched on to them also giving a buff?

The drug is superficially presented as a good thing, but it's basically a Brave New World situation.

Stider

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Same thing happened to another games ages ago. I think it was Fallout 3/4? where they had to change the name of the in game meds/drugs because they were using real names.